Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of nuts how there was such a small gap between the release of P3 and P4, given the "literally almost a decade" one between P4 and P5. P6 probably won't come out until like 2025 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

Bits and pieces of P3 got reused for P4 plus they were on the same system.

I kinda wish they'd be willing to just do P6 using the engine from P5, since P5 still looks great graphically* and people aren't exactly looking for anything super complex. An appealing aesthetic + being in 4k is enough.

* It seems like there's a practical "peak" of sorts that has already been reached when it comes to "anime-style graphics" in video games. Unlike a realistic FPS or something, you can "perfectly" recreate 3d anime people on current hardware. It's kind of difficult to imagine a game like P5 looking that much better than it already does. I guess I could imagine stuff like more detailed set pieces or Personas, but nothing dramatic along the lines of the shift from P3/4 -> P5.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mastajake posted:

Got into this series with Golden last month. Played it a couple times through and absolutely loved it. Just finished my first run of Royal and, my word, the sheer amount of style in that game is incredible. I like the story in 4 better overall, as well as the more light-hearted tone, but 5 beats it out in combat gameplay. My favorite confidant is probably Death from 4.

IMO 4 has much better non-party social links than 5. One other thing that I didn't really notice much at first is that P5 is notably scarce when it comes to non-party-member school s-links. I think the only one is Mishima.

Ostentatious posted:

Still very relatable I mean I’m extremely neurotic as well, hard to believe Golden came out when I was in high school

Yeah it came out right after I graduated from college and the time gap feels strange; I imagine it must be even weirder for people who were teenagers when it came out and are now like 30.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

Honestly I preferred the characters in p4 to p5

Except Yosuke, gently caress Yosuke

The disappointing thing about Yosuke is that there's kind of a basis for a good character there. Yosuke is generally the character who is the most focused on actually trying to "solve the cases" (until Naoto comes along the rest of your party are not particularly productive contributors to the non-fighting aspects of the plot), and the whole angle of his shadow* was fairly compelling (he cares about that girl being murdered but also secretly has the more selfish motive of just wanting to do something interesting).

* One gripe about P4 is that party member character depth is pretty much solely limited to when their shadow shows up before they actually join the team. Beyond that there's not really much going on with them and most don't have particularly interesting social links.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Joker/Ryuji makes more sense to me. Yuusuke just gives the impression that he respects the protagonist.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think if I played 4 I’d go with Chie or Naoto.

My two playthroughs of 5 I chose Kawakami (because real life me definitely finds her the most attractive in terms of personality) and then I chose Haru (i could not see that rejection scene again it’s ridiculously brutal). I think the reason I don’t chose Makoto is because I find that I much rather like her in combat mode to social link mode, and combat mode Makoto would ask to date you, not wait to be asked, same with Ann.

P5 was strange in that the characters I liked the most pre-S-link I ended up souring on during the S-link, with Makoto and Kawakami being the best examples of this (why'd they gotta make Kawakami a maid, I liked her teacher look).

In the end there weren't really any appealing S-link romances. All the options were either kind of lame or people who it was very difficult to imagine being romantically interested in Joker (like Takemi and maybe Ohya, though I could imagine the latter making the unethical decision to hook up with a high schooler).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Spiffster posted:

Ryuji is best boy and he never left my party once in Vanilla after he was there. He should have been datable. :kimchi:

I've been liking the treatment of Ryuji in Strikers so far. The game does a good job of selling the idea that Ryuji is best friends with the protagonist even outside of the Phantom Thieves group.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

Makoto wanting to become a cop is one of the more baffling things to me in Persona 5. I know that Persona 5 is ultimately a pretty idealistic game and the setting includes the concept of the mythical Good Cop (Dojima, Makoto's dad, Zenkichi) but I always thought becoming a defense attorney or, like Solaris suggested, a lawyer who goes after cooked cops would be a better way to achieve her stated goals.

I can't really hold it against her as a character because, well, see above about Persona 5's naive idealism, but I do maybe hold that naive idealism against Persona 5's writers a bit.

I do still like pairing Joker and Makoto, if only because they feel like the two co-leads of the story and Makoto gets some of the most non-social link development out of the whole party. For me it feels right narratively. Now, if the game would let me date Ryuji or Yusuke, maybe I'd have to reconsider.

The particularly weird thing about it is that in P5 Sae decides to stop being a prosecutor and become a defense lawyer, so it sort of acknowledges the corruption on the prosecution side of things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember liking Yosuke a lot when I first played the game years ago but watching people play it now it's like, he's just a complete rear end in a top hat to Kanji for basically no reason and it sucks, Yosuke sucks.

It's disappointing, because Yosuke has elements of a good character to him. His whole issue with dealing with his murdered crush having disliked him and being an outsider, plus being pretty much the only pre-Naoto member of the group to actually take things seriously makes him more interesting than at least half of the rest of the main cast.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my general opinion about the P4/G social links is that the non-party ones are better than P5 s-links (I remember really liking Saki's brother and the Death lady off the top of my head), but the party s-links are generally really bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anakha posted:

I feel the opposite way about the non-party links/confidants. In P4G, I disliked the Moon, Strength, Jester, Devil, Temperance and Tower links, while I only disliked Devil, Moon and Tower in P5R. I felt the P5/P5R non-party links were better overall.

Which ones did you like in P5? I can't think of any I liked much. My issue is mostly with nearly all the P5 social links just being really boring.

vvvv I also liked gun kid, I'll grant that. Though I still prefer some of the P4/G ones to him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mastajake posted:

Disappointed Morgana isn’t a Cats-style abomination.

Laughing a lot while imagining Morgana replaced with a hosed up cat person

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what the specific challenges of developing a modern Persona game are. It's interesting how 4 came out so soon after 3, but then there was this monumental gap between 4 and 5 (and now 5 and 6).

I'm guessing there's some good reason for it. Better graphics always make it at least somewhat harder to develop games, and these games mandate a higher level of polish than most others, but the lengths of time are still pretty nuts. I feel like "anime-style graphics" are already approaching their peak; there are only so many improvements you can make to the general appearance of P5 (only things that come to mind are framerate and environment detail) I imagine any development expense would more than be made up for by game sales, so I'm not sure if it makes sense as a purely financial thing.

edit: It seems like it'd be even weirder if you were a kid when these games started coming out. Time passes faster as an adult, but if someone played Persona 5 in 7th grade they'd be in college now. Gaming stuff went so much faster back when I was a kid/teen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. RPGs on any scope tend to take a lot of development time unless you're pulling a Gust or Pokemon and churning them out as quickly as you possibly can. There's a reason it is rare for any company, W or J, to be pushing them out very quickly. Even indie developers tend to take a very long time on RPGs compared to almost anything else. (And they tend to be on the shorter end.) Soul Hackers 2 was a pretty clear attempt by Atlus to see how a lower-budget/shorter game would be received.

I think people underestimate just how expensive even linear RPGs are. They tend to require more text, unique assets, and voice acting than pretty much any other genre on the market. Most of the 'big names' usually have a long time between new releases and fill that time with smaller titles or spinoffs or such, and the smaller companies depend on large numbers of relatively low budget games that recycle a lot of assets. (Atelier or the Trials Of... series for example.)

It's also worth noting that this is the reason so many companies 'milk' big RPGs, because a successful RPG's biggest marketing advantage is that players will buy into it and want to see more. There is a reason there are a billion versions of Skyrim or basically every single Tales, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and SMT game has gotten at least one re-release or cheapo mostly-reused-assets sequel, because once you've invested that much you tend to want to reuse it if you can.

It's a bit more than "a lot of development time," though; it's hard to think of many comparable examples in gaming outside of stuff like the FF7 remake. I would expect something more along the lines of 3-4 years. From what I understand, P3 and P4 shared a lot of assets, but it seems like there would have been similar amounts of effort for writing/voice acting.

I'm not doubting there's a reason - obviously there is, or else this wouldn't be the case. But it's definitely an outlier when someone could go through all of their middle and high school years without a new game release.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

Persona 4 was clearly written by a conservative whose underlying moral of all the character arcs was "stay in your place" with all the character arcs except one being from unhappy in their appointed place to knuckling down and now being happy in their appointed place. (This of course is why Kanji and Naoto are so botched).

Yeah, it's really bad. I think that P4 has some of the better non-party social links, but the party ones are all super bad.

Not to say that the non-party ones are that great or anything, but P5's non-party social links are pretty boring. I remember at least thinking some P4 social links were kind of interesting, like the one with the brother of the murder victim, or the one with the old widow. The P5 ones are all just "gradual reveal that the character is being hosed over by someone + fixing it in Mementos and then being smug as the person reveals you are, in fact, A Phantom Thief."

Neeksy posted:

Persona 5 is one of those games where the person writing it has none of the depth required by the themes and ideas it attempts to grasp.

I was kind of surprised at the extra arc in Royal actually doing a semi-decent job. It still has significant problems with its themes*, but the motives of the antagonist are at least interesting and very believable (which is really something P5 needed, given the key antagonists of the main arc are mostly just comically evil people).

*Namely that Maruki isn't even remotely wrong, but is just doing what he's doing very stupidly. But I appreciate that it gives you the option of agreeing with him and doesn't outright say "you're wrong" (even if it's kind of heavily implied).

It is kind of annoying seeing all these dumbass kids who have not even begun to live life trying to impart important life lessons to this adult, though. The only one of the phantom thieves who has suffered a truly life-shattering event is Kasumi. Maruki's general reasoning of "sometimes stuff happens that you can't full recover from (and if you could change it with magic it would be good to do so)" is basically correct.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ryuji has a lot of stuff but it's pretty low-key stuff that boils down to "he starts getting a really big head and fucks poo poo up and regrets it and tries to change" and the stuff with his leg which pays off during his big run near the end.

Ann does more than Yusuke but that's about it. Makoto and Futaba basically take front and center and Haru is pretty important for the chunk of the game she is in.

Edit: I genuinely forget that Yusuke is in the game sometimes. Strikers does a lot more with at least making him consistent comedy relief.

I remember Ryuji's whole "arc" being better than I remembered when I played Royal. He only gets really dumb for a relatively short period, and (as you mention) ends up acknowledging it and trying to change.

I'd agree that Yusuke and Ann are the least utilized characters. Yusuke in particular suffers from usually being a comedy relief.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'd argue that Futaba, Haru and Ann have definitely experienced life-shattering events. And Maruki's general reasoning may be correct, but the way he goes about it is deeply flawed. With Kasumi especially, he doesn't help her or fix her situation with magic, he just feeds into her guilt and it's not much of an exageration to say he kills her in the name of fixing things.

I agree entirely about Maruki's "solution" being stupid and unhelpful. A more reasonable application of the power would be to address issues like poverty/hunger, which would presumably be possible if he can bring back the dead (and I kind of wonder if the game acknowedges this huge deficiency through having homeless people continue to exist under Maruki's world). But Maruki's own approach makes sense given Maruki's personal issues/traumas. When he rewrote his girlfriend's mind (or wife, forget if they were married) and became a stranger to her as a result, he basically decided to double-down on that specific sort of cognitive manipulation to "prove that losing her was worth it" (and this manifests in the final area of his palace). It makes him a pretty compelling villain IMO.

Regarding "lift-shattering events," I mean "the sort of thing a person couldn't reasonably be expected to recover from, given time and treatment." Stuff like "loss of a parent" or "a teacher sexually harassing you" are definitely mental trauma, but the sort of trauma where treatment is reasonably possible (and in the case of the latter, IIRC things never reached the point they did with Shiho, with Ann managing to successfully reject Kamoshida's "advances" up until the events of the game).

"Having your close sister who you admire die because of your own actions," on the other hand, is the sort of thing that a person could very reasonably never recover from. That's the sort of mental trauma that most people will fortunately never have to experience.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 16, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hellioning posted:

Please tell me how dead dad is fine, but dead sister can never be recovered from.

It's the "personally caused the death" part. The fact that it was unintentional wouldn't change the immense guilt from that.

Also I'm not saying "it can't ever be recovered from," but rather "it wouldn't be unreasonable if someone wouldn't recover from it." Losing loved ones is a normal part of the human experience that can be recovered from with the help of friends/family/community/therapy. Personally causing the death of a loved one is the sort of thing a person could conceivably never recover from, regardless of therapy. Maruki's point (that isn't wrong) is that sometimes people experience things that objectively harm their lives in a way that can never truly be alleviated.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 16, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also like Futaba was gaslighted into believing she drove her mom to suicide and is implyed to have killed herself in the bad ending to her Palace, that's on par with Kasumi to me.

But in that case there's the possibility of proving that she didn't (and this ends up being necessary to Futaba's recovery). The same isn't true for Sumire - she literally did cause her sister to die. There's no "helpful truth" to be revealed at the end of that, like there was for Futaba.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anakha posted:

Gatekeeping trauma is not a hill I was expecting you to die on.

Haru watching her father's brains dribble out on live TV and thinking she might have caused it is at least on the same level as what you're trying to argue.

But it wasn't true that she caused it! With both Haru and Futaba, they eventually learn what actually happened and realize they had no fault in it. That's kind of a big deal (with Futaba it is directly necessary to her recovery!) and completely changes the nature of the situation.

Is it really strange that "I literally caused my close family to die" might be a bit harder to recover from than other situations where family/friends die? I didn't think that I was making any sort of weird or controversial point with this (though obviously I was wrong about that). The situation is in many ways the opposite of the one with Futaba/Haru - in their case, revealing the truth of the situation is healing. But in Sumire's it causes pain (pain which she is able to recover from, but which it would be entirely reasonable for a person to not recover from).

Also, I'm going to explicitly say that I don't mean for this post to sound combative or anything and I'm actually taking what you're saying seriously (just because I've been told before that the way I write things in typing comes off as cold/condescending, which is not at all intended).

anakha posted:

E: And just to remind you of the original argument you were trying to make:

This is a really weird point to make since several of these 'dumbass kids' had just as bad or a worse low point than Maruki and dealt with it in a healthier manner.

Maruki isn't wrong that situations like the one his ex-fiance experienced are things that a person might never be able to recover from. The Phantom Thieves' argument isn't "the way you're dealing with this is bad" (which is true) but is instead "these experiences are meaningful because they're part of who we are" (which is a conclusion that someone can/should only be able to decide for themselves; no one really has the right to enforce it on others). Maruki is basically taking a correct conclusion and then applying a wrong solution to it, while the Phantom Thieves are denying the conclusion itself; both are wrong, but in different ways.

I'm not denying that any of these experiences were traumatic, and if any of the other characters couldn't heal their respective traumas it wouldn't be through any fault of their own. The point isn't "Haru/Futaba/etc should get over what they experienced and it's their fault if they don't" - it's "it's possible that someone won't be able to get over their experiences, and this is especially the case with Sumire because holy crap that's an exceptionally lovely situation." The point is to emphasize how bad one is, not to downplay how bad the others are. Which is kind of the whole point - the Phantom Thieves are just deciding that their experiences must apply to others (with the implication that someone is lacking if they don't recover and grow from their bad experiences). In the same way as Maruki is imposing his own values upon others, so are the Phantom Thieves (though IIRC they actually acknowledge this?). The whole point is that the Phantom Thieves aren't really in a position to be deciding that others should be forced to live with the various things they've experienced (and neither is anyone else, though it's worse that the people in question aren't even adults yet).

My post did imply that Maruki is better in some way than the Phantom Thieves, so I apologize for that, since it was misleading and wrong. I think that both Maruki's solution (a weird sort of cognitive manipulation that doesn't really address the roots of the problem) and the Phantom Thieves' (basically just return to the status quo) were very wrong in different ways.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flair posted:

Technically, Merciless is easier than Normal if you know what you are doing

It depends. Some enemies have no weaknesses, and those can be really bad before you manage to eliminate all weaknesses on your Joker.

Up until that point, enemies can one-shot Joker (maybe a full debuff/buff suite could prevent this though; I'm not that far on my PC P5R replay, which I'm doing on Merciless just because I did the PS4 one on Hard and want the variety). I had difficulty with Madarame phase 1, because the eyes would kill everyone except Joker on the first turn, unless I got lucky and they missed (and I kinda abused Kaguya's AoE multihit Light attack to get rid of then quickly, just because they would chain kill everyone but Joker as soon as it reached their turn - I normally avoid the DLC personas, but was stuck on that fight).

It makes most enemies easier, though enemies with clear weaknesses were kinda always easy, even on Hard (P5 just isn't a very hard game, outside of challenge stuff). Ones without weaknesses (or with weaknesses I couldn't exploit, like Shiki Ouji when I first encountered him and didn't have Frei on anyone) were tougher, since they almost always one-shot you if they hit weaknesses.

Edit: Also, even though it was a zillion pages ago, I wanted to mention that I was totally wrong when I was saying the stuff about most of the party's experiences not being that bad compared with Yoshizawa's
Now that I'm replaying, I had completely forgotten stuff like Yusuke being abused since his childhood and finding out his foster father effectively killed his mom, or Ryuji growing up in a household with an abusive alcoholic father. While Yoshizawa's situation was kind of shockingly awful (beyond what you'd normally see in a game like this), you can't really compare things like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Man this game's funny.

I was worried I'd overleveled in Mementos because I was able to execute stuff in the November Palace, then I got one-shot by a Skadi because I was weak to Curse.

Which is actually a relief.

I'm hoping that Merciless makes things at least a little harder in that respect. On my P5R Hard playthough, I was basically invincible once I got my full party buffs (I remember doing some bullshit that let me always be able to cast Thermopylae) + full party heals (the "summon personas above your level for cash" thing is especially broken - IMO they should have only added that either in NG+ or near the very end of the game), but it seems like the huge damage of weakness attacks (and I think also crits) in Merciless always makes it possible for your characters to die, so maybe I won't be able to rely on just having a character cast a full heal every turn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

People were talking about it a few pages ago iirc, but I just unlocked the faith confidant and it's extremely funny how Sae effectively says "people reported that you guys move well. Someone must've been teaching you sick gymnastics moves..."

Half of those scenes are very funny. "You must have had someone teaching you how to speak well...give me names!!"

I want to see the full uncut version of that interview. This is probably part of the reason why Joker is dazed and seems to have a headache during each of those cutscenes (in addition to the drugs). Sae just grilling him on who his hair stylist is, or where he buys his clothes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in nearly every interaction with Mishima you have the option to make fun of him. Like every text message has some option that is a joke (I like the one where he mentions S and M and you can say "is the M for Mishima"), and every IRL interaction has an option that is basically "what the gently caress is wrong with you dude"

Also, as many people have mentioned before, the contrast between social link Ryuji and main plot Ryuji is so jarring. Social link Ryuji is basically a cool guy who is unusually mature for a teenager, while main plot Ryuji is dumb as hell constantly (though this does change later into the story, but I think it stays that well for at least like 2/3 of it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah I'm playing Merciless. I assumed I was invincible cause I was overleveled and died to a single hit because my arrogance blinded me to my (literal) Weakness to Eiga.

I don't know if it's a Merciless thing specifically, but I feel like enemies almost always target character weaknesses when it's possible for them to do so. When I was temporarily stuck on Madarame Part 1, each fight began with the eyes knocking out every single party member (including me if I equipped someone with a weakness to one of the agi/garu/bufu/zio elements). So enemies you haven't identified yet can risk an instant game over if Joker has a persona with elemental weaknesses equipped.

Still not super hard to compensate for, but I think it's probably a bit harder than Hard overall. The "you kill enemies with weaknesses super fast" aspect doesn't matter that much, since enemies with easily targetable weaknesses were always easy, even on Hard. And having trash fights go a bit faster is also nice.

Sydin posted:

Yeah like on the one hand I do feel for Mishima in that he's a loser dweeb with no friends that even the thieves just sort of barely tolerate when he's around. On the other hand though I do appreciate that even Joker is all "holy poo poo my guy shut up about the loving phansite" when they're roomed together in Hawaii.

I feel like Joker could have definitely "handled" Mishima better; it's dumb that your only dialogue options are "awesome man, keep up the good work!" and "lol shut up loser" (though I understand why that was necessary for Mishima to have his "character arc").

The Phan-site is legitimately useful to the Phantom Thieves, but Joker really should have just had a frank talk with him much earlier.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

But at full build Joker's personas (with very rare exceptions) don't have weaknesses because they've had skill cards or been in lockdown to make sure they don't and your party members all evade their own weaknesses - and about half the shadows don't have weaknesses. It's all about Technicals by that point and the AI isn't very good at technicals. So although 65% of baseline damage is significantly less than 85% the endgame isn't notably different.

Yeah, Royal just gives too many options to become absurdly powerful. But at least there should be a little more tension up until that point where you can make Joker effectively unbeatable. And other party members getting killed can still be a problem, since (IIRC) there isn't any skill to revive more than one character at once (outside of one specific to one persona or something, according to the internet).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Shoutout to Mishima for pulling the Persona 4 Special at the end of his Social Link and deciding to live vicariously through the Phantom Thieves but for the right reason.

It's kind of funny how, over the course of the game, every other Shujin student who becomes close to the Phantom Thieves ends up becoming a Phantom Thief themselves...except for Mishima.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Kaneshiro, his second phase was pretty hard on Merciless. Short of using the bullshit DLC accessories (which I forgot to equip, though if I had remembered I would have used the "lower chance of ailments" one) I don't think there are any reliable ways to avoid getting sleeped, at which point you basically just hope you don't get attacked (Kaneshiro could one-shot anyone who wasn't Joker or Ryuji with his snap, and his two helper mobs one-shot anyone if they score a technical).

I ended up coming up with a strategy of sorts (deliberately waking up the two helper mobs before their turn so I can put them back to sleep and prevent them from ever having a turn), but I never needed to use it because I did over 800 damage to Kaneshiro by doing a Baton Pass technical hit with the "Heavy Physical Attack (damage increases on baton pass)" skill, after lucking into shocking Kaneshiro.

It was a pain because it took me 4 or 5 tries and the first phase is extremely tedious. I think this should be the last dungeon before I get Recarm, at least. I forgot that it takes so long for you to get that spell.

Sydin posted:

Yeah the problem is that Kaneshiro is only around because the devs want to get Makoto into the party earlier rather than later, but her actual "target" in Sae necessarily has to be later because of how it weaves into the framing device. So they ginned up an evil yakuza group preying specifically on one school's students for uh, some reason, so Makoto feels personally pressured to do something about it. It's also clear just how much filler he is in that he gets like zero build up or resolution. You see him outside the metaverse exactly once, for one scene, and then don't even get to see him confess or anything after his heart is changed: we just get told he turned himself into the police offscreen. Compare to literally every other target who gets both good buildup and we get to see them change after the fact.

Anyway here's the quick fanfic rewrite I thought of in like 30 seconds that makes the whole thing more personally tied to Makoto: Sae's working on a case against Kaneshiro and actually making good progress, which is starting to freak him out. He finds out via his connections Sae has a sister who is student council president at Shujin, so he tells his goons to specifically target that school to get more info on her and try to box her into a situation where he can kidnap her and use her as leverage against Sae to get her to drop the case. Throw in a scene or two after Makoto engages with the group where Kaneshiro turns up and makes threats. There bam, now Kaneshiro is established as a direct antagonist to Makoto instead of an incidental one, and Makoto finding all this out still ties neatly into the character beat that she worries she's just a useless burden to her sister.

Kaneshiro also weirdly shows no remorse once you defeat his shadow. He mentions "the other metaverse user" and then is like "have fun dealing with that losers lol cya" and returns to his home planet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

people out here talking about "what if I could date Yusuke" but imo the Confidant interactions with Akechi seem like they are absolutely dripping with homoerotic subtext.

This seems to apply to most "rival" relationships in games/manga like this.

Another similar situation is Rean/Crow in the Trails of Cold Steel games, where Rean shows like 10x as much emotion towards Crow as he does literally any female cast member.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I found the goofiest Sae scene

"Unless you were lucky, there's no way you could've repeatedly done so many crimes."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

She's not wrong, though. The PTs are kinda dumb and absolutely lucked their way into most of what they managed to accomplish. The rest is them being manipulated by Shido's conspiracy.

Yeah but she says that in reference to Chihaya lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stumbled into early access to Garudyne and Agidyne via alarm fusion

It's interesting how the failed alarm fusions seem to usually have some sort of "theme" to the skills you get. Another time I got this full suite of abilities/passives tailored towards applying Rage to enemies.

One thing I don't understand - from the description it sounds like you should be able to lower the chance of a failure if you follow a fusion up with an electric chair, but every time I've done that the electric chair has failed (so it seems like a better idea to just do the two fusions for the chance at getting a bunch of crazy skills from the failed second fusion). I'm sure that this calculus changes later once you can get the best gear from itemizing stuff, but currently it's very helpful getting access to high tier abilities earlier than I normally would.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that bugs me the most about the romance options is the fact that many of the social links involve the person in question obviously being interested in Joker regardless of what you choose, to the extent where you're forced to reject them (and IIRC sometimes in pretty lovely ways where you just sort of blow them off instead of directly acknowledging the situation). I feel like I remember this being bad for Haru, Ann, and Futaba (though there are also a bunch of other issues with Futaba).

At least the adult ones don't have this element and usually (always?) have normal non-romance endings (to the extent that the non-romance endings feel the most normal, with their romance versions feeling more out of place). I also feel like this wasn't an issue in P4 (can't remember how it went in P3).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Of all of the options I think Makoto is the one who won’t ever be able to find someone to compliment her better than Joker, she’s a narc who needs someone to encourage her to not be a narc without being an rear end in a top hat. i think the same is probably true of Yusuke too because he needs someone to tether him to the real world which I think Joker helps him with

Minus the police stuff, Makoto is basically "literally every girl I was into during high school and college." It was literally always an academic overachiever one year older than me.

Yusuke bugs me as a character because, outside of his intro arc, the game usually makes him into a comic relief. It's a shame, because there are aspects to his character I really like.

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's specifically only Haru and Kasumi who clearly have a romantic attraction to Joker, Ann and Makoto could be read that way, and Futaba's whole thing is well a thing, but Haru and Kasumi are clearly crushing on the boy in their respective "romance or not options".

At least by my read.

Ann definitely does; she gets kind of awkward and quickly flees immediately after you give the platonic dialogue option.

But you're right about Makoto; I just checked hers and she's basically fine with it.

The Kasumi one actually doesn't bother me specifically because she directly confesses to you and when you say "let's just be friends" it's a direct response to that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the funniest part in P5 is when Yusuke texts everyone about his research on Medjed

I will never not say "Well done."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

actually managed to max out Akechi's confidant level before end of November!...

:stare:

As someone who only got up to the start of the Casino palace in Vanilla, I didn't have any ideas besides "maybe it was Morgana or Mishima lol" for who betrays you. With the additional Akechi Confidant route in this one, they couldn't be clearer about how the character is a loving psychopath (asking you first to maybe leave your team, then the Mementos duel.) I figured maybe it was a normal "rival" back and forth for the Mementos thing, but the sudden outburst into the "I hate you SO much" poo poo was genuinely shocking lol..

It's actually kind of a shame, because I'm also a dum-dum who didn't realize Akechi was a villain in Vanilla and was genuinely surprised at the reveal (this is apparently uncommon and I'm happy to see someone else who was also surprised). The in medias res opening helps somewhat with tricking me, because I assumed the game would continue to follow the "new party member each arc" pattern and that he was going to be one (and I had avoided all pre-release material and discussion and knew literally nothing, despite first playing the game a couple years after it was released). But it seems pretty impossible to not realize it in Royal, unless you ignore that Confidant entirely.

I actually generally like what they did in the extra Royal content, since they don't go hard on trying to "redeem" Akechi and he basically stays the same guy.

edit: I think I may have also suspected Mishima, just out of the absence of alternative options, but I can't remember for sure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In Futaba palace on my PC P5R playthrough now.

One thing I've noticed on Merciless (which very strongly discourages you from trying to just kill enemies with regular attacks) is that status effects seem to almost always work, at least with the regular single-target spells. A lot of the time, it seems like a good strategy is to figure out when the enemy's turn is and just apply the status effect immediately before it (though this can be tricky since I don't think there are many good ways to control turn order).

I also got Ziodyne/Freidyne access through a failed alarm fusion!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like when Mishima texts you about someone killing/mutilating cats and you can reply to him "It wasn't me."

Plus other Mishima responses - almost all the texts give you an option to be like "that sounds cool, what's the problem?" after Mishima mentions some sort of crime

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

"god i wish that were me" is a dialogue option as well iirc

The IRL Mishima responses seem to follow the pattern of "2 responses directly mocking or acting annoyed at Mishima + 1 response that is positive to the extent that it also seems to be mocking him." Like Mishima will say some insane poo poo and you can reply "Awesome. Keep up the good work."

The one thing that kinda annoys me about that social link is that Joker should have had a frank talk with Mishima *long* before things reach the point they do. I guess the silent protagonist thing throws a wrench in that, though.

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC rushing the Temperance Confidant to a certain point once you get it will allow you to do stuff on nights you enter a Palace.

This seemed to have limited use to me, since it's pretty much always easy to finish a Palace in one night (ironically the only times it's somewhat hard to finish in one run are in the early game when you have less SP items and reviving characters is difficult, but you don't have this ability at that point).

Feels Villeneuve posted:

All the DLC personas are way overpowered

I saw one that had a "using items after a baton pass doesn't use up the item" trait, which seems hilariously broken. I'm assuming you could use a Soma or something with it and just get a full HP/MP heal every time a party member hits a weak point.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 22, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

neonchameleon posted:

The DLC personas that I think are spectacularly broken are Orpheus F for a party wide triple-buff plus healing at L11, Kaguya for silvery arrows, the best non-almighty magic damage skill in the game and possibly the second highest damage skill in the game period at L16, and Inzanagi-no-Okami for the highest damage in the game, period (and it's almighty) as well as Victory Cry to recover everything after your inevitable win. For the rest I take the rule that if you can fuse 'em you can use 'em. They're all top tier offensively but their defences aren't great and that's what I tend to find important on Merciless. Grabbing them out of the compendium dozens of levels above you for a cost of 0 on the other hand is way too easy.

The Orpheus one us balanced some by its SP cost, which is a big problem early on. Still strong, though. I'm finally starting to get full-party buffs in the mid-30s now.

The only time I've used a DLC persona so far is phase 1 of Madarame, where I abused Shining Arrows to kill the eyes/nose fast (otherwise they instantly kill everyone unless I get lucky and they miss).

Speaking of Shining Arrows, Kaguya has one of the best persona designs IMO

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Teddie is even more insufferable in Q than in vanilla P4, though.

Speaking of Teddie, I've seen some people mention Morgana being worse than him, and that seems like a completely baffling opinion to me. Teddie is terrible and pretty much constantly verbally sexually harasses the girls. I'm wondering if it's something about Morgana's localized voice acting, because to me it just comes off like he has a crush on Ann. I don't remember him ever being particularly creepy about it - the "Ann-dono" stuff is just consistent with his classical/archaic-ish speech style that also leads to him using "wagahai" for himself, etc. It's weirder sounding in English because I don't think he does anything unusual in his speech other than the "Lady Ann" stuff, so it stands out more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

there's no cultural aspect to their feud, morgana is an egoist who was feeling excluded and marginalized after ceding the navigator position to futaba and decided to double down on his abuse towards ryuji to compensate. he wasn't expecting ryuji to give as good as he got

I think Morgana's insecurity is actually kind of reasonable and understandable given the fact that he's a weird talking cat thing who has no one at all other than the Phantom Thieves (and he literally can't even talk to anyone other than them and other "metaverse users" - he's completely hosed if he loses them). While you can say as the player "it's obvious that they wouldn't toss him out," he probably used his position as "the guy who knows stuff about the metaverse and helps navigate" to help suppress that insecurity, so it comes back full force once he loses that with the back-to-back events of Makoto and Futaba joining. This is exacerbated by everyone except for Futaba leaving for the Hawaii trip at the height of his neurosis, during which he can only talk to a single person, and Futaba mostly ignores him due to being busy analyzing Sae's data (not out of malice or anything, but just because she's oblivious to these things - she's the most concerned after Morgana runs away). And before that trip, the rest of the Phantom Thieves are bizarrely dismissive of the fact that Morgana is obviously going through some sort of crisis (something which Haru acknowledges and is the reason for her initial unwillingness to work with them - if it was obvious to her, why are the Phantom Thieves oblivious to it?).

This isn't to say that he's not at fault, because he's absolutely a huge rear end in a top hat to Ryuji during earlier parts of the game, but his behavior has some sort of reason to it - he has to prop up his own ego to deal with his (completely rational) fear about losing his place among "literally the only people he is even capable of communicating with." Also Ryuji actually is dumb as hell during the first ~half of the story and constantly risks blowing their cover (or outright does so with Makoto) and is primarily concerned with building fame and becoming popular (the bizarre story Ryuji vs confidant Ryuji dissonance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

He was: he's in direct contact with the SIU director who is presented as second only to shido

It's not clear to me how the whole conspiracy was structured. It seems plausible to me that the principal was just one of many people who were given positions in exchange for fully supporting Shido's interests. I imagine the vast, vast majority of such people aren't aware of the metaverse stuff at all. Even Okumura doesn't seem to understand anything beyond "they're somehow capable of causing mental/psychotic shutdowns in people" IIRC.

Though it's a little unclear to me why Shido would care about installing a principal in this random high school.

Mirello posted:

on the other hand, futabas palace and story is awesome. giant mom sphinx yelling you deserve to die, and futaba saying back "shut up bitch, you're not my mom" was awesome. can't believe you can romance her. really disgusting. I kind of agree with something someone said earlier, futaba's personality and story make a lot more sense if she was like, 11 or 12 rather than 15. of course maturity is variable between different people, but still. also how come nobody in the neighborhood knew her (not even the postman who must've delivered her a bunch of poo poo) even though sojiro says that she had only somewhat recently (months earlier) started having panic attacks and being unable to leave her room.

I'm romancing everyone on my current play-through just to see all the scenes...but still not Futaba. Even ignoring the dependence issues (and her seeming younger than she's stated to be), Joker seems to clearly fill a familial role with her, which is especially important given she has literally no other real family aside from Sojiro. So not only are there the inherent issues with dating this child (I mean Joker is also a child, but Futaba even moreso), but doing so also destroys what should be an extremely important role Joker should be filling in her life. So it's not just a bad thing, but it's also replacing a very good thing.

Mailer posted:

His self-image is so hard locked on being a human and that image gets kicked at every turn. He has to hide constantly. Everyone, especially Ryuji, insists on calling him a cat. Futaba outright replaces him and then constantly treats him even more like a cat. He doesn't get to go for sushi and you don't bring any back for him. Everything around him reinforces that he's not human and now he's "useless" in the cognitive world as well.

I feel like if this was its own arc you'd get a bit more time to deal with it but having it mushed up in that big post-third-palace lull and the comedy relief Beauty Thief bit just makes him look like a pouty rear end in a top hat. Ryuji kindasorta feels bad, Morgana basically admits fault, and everyone is happy again. That's a pretty lovely quick TV sitcom resolution to an existential crisis.

Yeah, it's written very badly and resolved in a way that isn't very believable or satisfying, but Morgana himself is still a sympathetic character; the writing just fails to properly communicate this and only really makes an effort to abruptly during a couple in-game weeks.