Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OhFunny posted:

They said they tuned the battle difficulty higher than they will be in the final game.

Much like they did with Bravely Default 2's first demo.

But the difficulty is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
After having some more time to sit through, I got through the siege fight. I was half way through expecting to open my post with "it kicked my rear end and I loved it" and I guess it still kinda did; after trying to win without using the map gimmick I won with Hughette cheesing from roof tops after having killed off their arches, but the enemy general had loving cut through everyone else on my team like a hot knife through butter after I split my forces and over extended.

I think I'm hooked, the layers of options and positioning strategies is really good and I hope this difficulty level is available in the playable version too. Its very tense and grindy but in a way that has a lot of really sick plays available to get through it.

The writing is hit or miss, I especially found the talk around the ramifications of the traps really confusing on that map's lead up: was it going to kill the townsfolk or just mess up their homes? Otherwise there's a charm to some of it in conjunction with the presentation and I wanna see what the antagonist has coming up next, he breaks the trope of fantasy invader kingdom just killing the entire royal family completely and it feels like he's maybe got a grounded realpolitik scheme going on.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

Just got the survey in my email. I gave it a 3/5 stars and my biggest complaints were how long the battles were.

I get the complaint, but I think it's a feature not a bug, of the genre. During the "mop-up" phase of the game, where you know you've won, you just want to rush through the thing, but mistakes like that can be costly, especially with permadeath. Since that doesn't seem to be an issue here, it feels more pointless to have to be more cautious towards the end.

I'm still waiting on my survey.

I think the colors for safe/danger can definitely be reworked, eventually I was just using the red danger lines anyway. Same goes for attacking though. It was hard to distinguish which red squares I could target on the Landroi map with the fire raging in the fields.

Something I discovered, even if it seems obvious in retrospect, is you can't attack at range if a heigh wall blocks you. In the Landroi map, I wanted to toss a Ice item at an enemy with the Alchemist, and the enemy was shown to be in range but I couldn't attack them since the alchemist couldn't throw over the ledge I guess?

Things like that (I mentioned earlier AOE on different height, self-attacking etc) will need to be better explained eventually.

My biggest issue remains the pacing of the story versus the battles. I don't doubt there'll be "random encounters" of sorts and the encampment's barkeep is obviously going to play a part of that, but being taken out multiple times to the world map to only select another cutscene is incredibly tiresome. If they don't want to just chain cutscenes via "Elsewhere/Meanwhile..." then they should give you an Active Time Event menu like in FFIX, that you can just choose quickly from.

The voice-acting is awful too. They should also add portraits to dialogue boxes, and instead of using bubbles.

Last, I hope they give us some little bonuses that were sorely missing from Octopath namely a Music Player. I would've liked Octopath to also have a Beastiary that could tell you enemy weaknesses and their effects when used by Ha'anit. This one could have a Gallery, where the full portraits of the characters are displayed with a small paragraph or something.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I actually really like that it seems a bunch of the cut scene stuff was optional, unless important to recruiting a character which it was marked as.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rimusutera posted:

I actually really like that it seems a bunch of the cut scene stuff was optional, unless important to recruiting a character which it was marked as.

I don’t think anyone disagrees, the problem was the UI. Moving the cursor around the map was very slow, why not just have a list so you can scroll through it and have the cursor jump to that area? Also, sometimes you’d watch a main story cutscene and then it’d kick you back to the map and ask you to select the same place to watch another cutscene... it was incredibly cumbersome.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t think anyone disagrees, the problem was the UI. Moving the cursor around the map was very slow, why not just have a list so you can scroll through it and have the cursor jump to that area? Also, sometimes you’d watch a main story cutscene and then it’d kick you back to the map and ask you to select the same place to watch another cutscene... it was incredibly cumbersome.

Yeah instead of the world map just having the default and zoomed in, it really needed a zoomed out mode, where you just direction button to go from place to place immediately or the FFT alternative of a button to put a selection of locales

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
You can flick the cursor between options real quick with the directional pad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like scrolling around world maps, and i appreciate when devs break up wordy scenes into chunks so i can save and stop more easily when necessary

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The survey starts out by asking what I specifically like about the game, but I honestly can't say even though I enjoyed the demo. It's pretty mediocre at this point and it's hard to feel for the characters since we're jumping in the middle of the story. There's no character customization or teaser of progression. The TP system makes me feel like spellcasters will either be very underpowered, or way too powerful and hard to balance.

There's nothing that really jumps out at me. The only reason why I think it has a lot of potential is probably because of nostalgia for FFT, and at this point I'll accept anything. Guess it's time to break out the ol PSP again to play the old games.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I get there are two separate battles depending on whether you give up the prince, somebody said there’s a third battle? What is it? Keep the prince but don’t learn about the secret weapon?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I get there are two separate battles depending on whether you give up the prince, somebody said there’s a third battle? What is it? Keep the prince but don’t learn about the secret weapon?

I said there are three battles total. That is, including the first one before the branching point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

I said there are three battles total. That is, including the first one before the branching point.

Booooooo

I feel like a butthead for giving up the prince but I wanna try both battles before I fill out the survey.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So I was screwing around with the questions and I can confirm that answering “Flee if you must” and “You would have me decide now?” for the first two questions will net you Julio, in case anyone was having any trouble recruiting him. And I can confirm from asking around that telling Hughette “Roland must survive” is all it takes to get Medina. I don’t know what it takes to unlock Ezana, but I’m pretty sure I answered “We need your blade” on the first question at least.

Julio just seems like a direct upgrade to Benedict, wow

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Scrap Dragon posted:

Can he boost damage? I could barely dent most enemies on map 2 without Benedict's damage boost; but I never recruited Julio

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

Can he boost damage? I could barely dent most enemies on map 2 without Benedict's damage boost; but I never recruited Julio

No, they're rather different except for one skill. Benedict is a straight buffer, offense and defense, which is really useful, esp. since you can do defense every turn and it does save you quite a bit. Also Now! is can be a game-changer if you need it, it's the move that lets him get someone to move immediately after him.

Julio on the other hand is all about giving TP to your units so you can keep your mages running full time or whatever. He does have a str. boost like Benedict but it's not ranged so it's harder to use safely. Arguably better, but Benedict's defense is all-around useful as well.

Honestly, no unit feels without purpose, except maybe the Fire Mage since, but that's just because she's slow.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Not only can he, he also gives whoever he’s buffing an extra TP and it only costs him 1 TP to do it compared to Benedict’s 2 TP. And it’s nothing special compared to the dedicated attackers, but Julio has an actual attack skill as well

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Scrap Dragon posted:

So I was screwing around with the questions and I can confirm that answering “Flee if you must” and “You would have me decide now?” for the first two questions will net you Julio, in case anyone was having any trouble recruiting him. And I can confirm from asking around that telling Hughette “Roland must survive” is all it takes to get Medina. I don’t know what it takes to unlock Ezana, but I’m pretty sure I answered “We need your blade” on the first question at least.

I definitely chose "Roland must survive" but recruited Julio and Ezana

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Medina is super similar to Octopath's Tressa. It'll be cool to see other cameos as well.

What other units/classes do you all hope to see? I think it's nice we have elemental mages, and with rather interesting skills aside from straight elemental damage, but I'm hoping to see a time mage of some sort. It's one of my favorite schools of magic in FF. A more traditional thief class would be nice too, since that's not quite Anna's deal.

I've yet to get my survey.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I haven't gotten a survey either :smith:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think they employ some form of random sampling. I never seem to get 'em neither, not that I've played this one quite yet.

But oh boy did I download it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just really want an option to turn off the visual filters, the back and forth rotation in cutscenes, and a speed up toggle instead of a hold down button.

I usually find the tempo of FFT/Orge Tactics a bit too slow personally, but I felt here it was a bit better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm replaying TO:LUCT now and while the overall battles are as long/sometimes longer than this demo, the in battle tempo of TO fights is definitely higher than this game. TO feels just right and this feels a bit slow.

Part of the reason TO fights overall take as long are the higher enemy counts as opposed to individual fights being same length.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got my survey! Happy I can be party to this.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I haven’t gotten my survey yet, but someone tell them to put in the ability to mark enemy ranges

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I haven’t gotten my survey yet, but someone tell them to put in the ability to mark enemy ranges

Attack or movement?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Has anyone figured out how the enemy AI determines who they are going to attack? I felt like there were more than a few times I would try to send my frontline up to draw aggro just to have the enemy walk around them and hit a support character instead.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Attack or movement?

The attack range would wind up covering both of these. Thanks if you’re actually gonna put it in there.

Edna Mode posted:

Has anyone figured out how the enemy AI determines who they are going to attack? I felt like there were more than a few times I would try to send my frontline up to draw aggro just to have the enemy walk around them and hit a support character instead.

It’s most likely whoever they can deal the most damage to or whoever they can kill if they gang up on them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

The attack range would wind up covering both of these. Thanks if you’re actually gonna put it in there.

I did. I focused most of my complaints on the annoying to access cut-scenes alongside unclear battle actions, like what you said, color options, and stuff like ranged moving attacks and AOE of magic. I didn't get the room to ask for a music box though... Still I thought I was pretty thorough and praised the grounded writing, the relative simplicity of the battle system (TP usage), and the distinct classes.

You only really have 250 characters to say what you want so you're rather limited.

Edna Mode posted:

They'd often target healers first due to lack of health and defense I imagine. They attack to kill.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Edna Mode posted:

Yeah they're attacking who they can deal the most damage to, you're moving your supporters into their range.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to filling out the survey, man it’s hard to fit all those criticisms into 250 characters, wtf. I guess they really wanted everyone to pick the most important ones.

Does anyone have a good strategy for the battle if you decide to give up Roland? It’s really difficult and I couldn’t figure out a good approach that didn’t get a bunch of my guys killed.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The way I finally managed that map with no deaths was to send my entire army (minus Anna) up the narrow path on the right that’s guarded by the heavy armor guys. That’ll let you climb to the top of the map without being sniped to death.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's if you didn't repair the lift in the exploration mode. Also Hughette shouldn't be brought due to all the archers. You should have one other bonus character by then that can swap in. The lightning mage can make it rain which will nullify the burning field problem, though I like using that to my advantage personally.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t figure out how to fix the lift. I talked to everybody...

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I think you have to interact with the lift specifically

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you talking about the one on the left or right? I fixed the one on the left but not the one on the right. For some reason I assumed you were referring to the one on the right :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's the one on the right and I think you need to talk to several people in certain orders. Check the lift, both top and bottom, find the dude who says he's a supplier for a mechanic (his dad), then find the dad in one of the buildings who will say he'll fix it, and then talk to his son again for the piece. I think that's how it goes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The full game is called Triangle Strategy and is coming March 4th, 2022. There are more details of the changes they made based on the feedback from the survey on Nintendo’s website, or will be soon at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol bad name.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm ok with it. Though it doesn't say much about the game really. Either way, March isn't that far away. Looking forward to playing the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I scrubbed through the trailer and I did notice something interesting

So, Hughette performs an action, but in the UI, where it says her... "class"? "Title"? In the demo it's "Scout", but in the gameplay, it's "Flier Master"

So that's a solid confirmation that there will be some sort of promotion/class system, or at the very least character's titles change as they get stronger