Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gio’s movement is my favorite aspect. I liked pumping up her attack and then letting her run with the horses.

Trish is very mobile but probably my least favorite archer since to use her best you need to lose a turn, she works well with Now! type moves. Trap archer is surprisingly tough and is supposed to play on the frontline or close to. Hughette is undeniably the best and I don’t need to tell you why or how to use Archibald.

I never used Travis much, his deal encourages him to be solo which feels unwise in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Chapter 17: Save before making this choice, or else! the game warns:
Roland, twice we have chosen to abandon what we were doing and help the Roselle and you think we're just going to surrender to Hyzanthe? No wonder you suck as king. Sheesh. I wasn't going to tell anyone before but now WOULD be the time to let everyone know I'm an heir too and the player character so maybe I should be king?
Benedict, you're not wrong but your insistence that we have to ally with Aesfrost to the exclusion of the Roselle is hosed up. Also I think the game is just handwaving away that last time we tried to ally with them we stabbed them in the back.
Also we killed Gus's brother, sister, and favorite general in a different chapter, but no one else considers that to be a hindrence to the plan so I won't.
Fredrica, I get you're playing a lot of Fallout lately but maybe war changes? And, uh, you don't think maybe there's people in centralia already? Gonna be super awkward when we get there and we have to fight for a new homeland. This is the choice I ended up making and it's only at the end when I'm arguing with Benedict (who only now is saying I should be king,) that people are saying we won't just up and move unless we have to. I feel like this scene was rewritten a few times and some details and flow charts were left out. But whatever. Ginger player chooses to save the bullied redheads.

Surely this will end well!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Also we killed Gus's brother, sister, and favorite general in a different chapter, but no one else considers that to be a hindrence to the plan so I won't.[/spoiler]

I dunno if you've been paying attention, but there is a really good reason why no one thinks this would be a hindrance to their plan: Gustav doesn't give a poo poo about anyone other than himself. .

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Prowler posted:

I dunno if you've been paying attention, but there is a really good reason why no one thinks this would be a hindrance to their plan: Gustav doesn't give a poo poo about anyone other than himself. .
I know the whom doesn't bother him but the what specifically that I'm just stabbing all the people executing his will in direct challenge to his authority should be a deal breaker.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At this point in the game Gustav doesn't have much choice. He's no longer negotiating from a position of strength. You've routed his army, killed his siblings, and eliminated his greatest general. He can regroup his forces but any further military action would have him up against both your group and Hyzante. The terms Benedict can offer him are the best he could possibly hope for at this point and he's enough of a pragmatist to realize that. He needs that salt for his nation to survive so it's either fight a losing war against both the Wolforts and Hyzante or make an alliance.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HootTheOwl posted:

Chapter 17: Save before making this choice, or else! the game warns:
Roland, twice we have chosen to abandon what we were doing and help the Roselle and you think we're just going to surrender to Hyzanthe? No wonder you suck as king. Sheesh. I wasn't going to tell anyone before but now WOULD be the time to let everyone know I'm an heir too and the player character so maybe I should be king?
Benedict, you're not wrong but your insistence that we have to ally with Aesfrost to the exclusion of the Roselle is hosed up. Also I think the game is just handwaving away that last time we tried to ally with them we stabbed them in the back.
Also we killed Gus's brother, sister, and favorite general in a different chapter, but no one else considers that to be a hindrence to the plan so I won't.
Fredrica, I get you're playing a lot of Fallout lately but maybe war changes? And, uh, you don't think maybe there's people in centralia already? Gonna be super awkward when we get there and we have to fight for a new homeland. This is the choice I ended up making and it's only at the end when I'm arguing with Benedict (who only now is saying I should be king,) that people are saying we won't just up and move unless we have to. I feel like this scene was rewritten a few times and some details and flow charts were left out. But whatever. Ginger player chooses to save the bullied redheads.

Surely this will end well!

Tbh that’s the best choice of the three, even though it’s bad in its own way. I went with it my first run and didn’t regret. Of course the ending that sucks the least is the golden path but you have to work for it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah out of the three terrible plans Frederica's is the best by far imo. Though you have to see all the other routes to really appreciate it since you don't get all the context for everything going on except in golden route

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its the clear winner frankly.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah out of the three terrible plans Frederica's is the best by far imo. Though you have to see all the other routes to really appreciate it.

I have to laugh after playing Octopath Traveler II because Partitio’s story has a similar but opposite vibe to Benedict’s route:

In Benedict’s ending, they invent Capitalism but in the most ruthless way.

In Partitio’s story, he invents Capitalism and somehow it’s cool and fun lol but then he defeats the ultimate evil capitalist in the end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'll always bat for Benedict's route over Frederica's because I believe in Serenoa and Frederica: Power Couple.

(And also that eventually old man Benedict passes)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I'll always bat for Benedict's route over Frederica's because I believe in Serenoa and Frederica: Power Couple.

Ending spoilers Nah, I'd argue that they are hosed as soon as Benedict dies. Serenoa is a shell of his former self in that ending and is entirely dependent on Benedict to make every decision for him. Even Frederica isn't able to get better treatment for the Roselle suffering in poverty and seems depressed and lacking fight compared to how she was before in what little interactions we see.

So once Benedict is out of the picture, there's nothing keeping Folk Hero Roland, champion of the people from just waltzing in with his revolution. And then we are essentially at the same place we were at with Roland's ending. Except this time anyone who could start a resistance like Frederica will probably have been killed. And after so many years of building resentment from Benedict's policies, the people will have a lot of reasons to embrace Idore's teachings full heartedly. So in that case I'd argue it's the worst ending of the three.

True ending makes it pretty clear that Norzelia has no hope for true peace so long as someone like Idore is around. So the only possibly good endings are the ones where he's dead and not an immortal godking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Capitalism cannot be derailed by the death of one man.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That ending also does give you the coda of Roland lamenting the plight of the Roselle under liberalism, while he runs his grassroots movement to restore the fascist pope who wants to enslave them. It's a real character moment.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I'm still amazed that Serenoa even delegates the big 'it's time for battle!' speech before fighting Hyzanthe to Benedict. What, he can't even read a speech Benedict wrote? He's pathetic even by the standards of a figurehead ruler in that ending.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Capitalism cannot be derailed by the death of one man.

Nicholas II

Though I don't think capitalism would be a dealbreaker for Idore. He just wants control and he certainly could have a little capitalism with his theocractic dictatorship as a treat. He likely would have had to change the doctrines up a bit with the whole salt mine thing, anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 17, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Stop is such bullshit lmao.
So is the op getting like four rogues to my one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the system of taking a vote so serenoa doesn't have to make his own decisions is a silly gimmick, sure. however, roland could sure use something like that in his day to day life. that boy's dumb as poo poo.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

First playthrough: I am not giving up our boy Roland, we're ride or die.
Second playthrough: lmao fuckin take him we don't want him

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

That fight you are in is probably one of the most difficult in the game. Even the fights that are supposed to be stacked against you or some of the other final fights aren't as bad as that one. Something about the closed quarters and being surrounded by very powerful units like the mentioned rogues. It doesn't give you much room for errors in positioning. Then you have the leader unit and all the stuff she does on top of that.

At least though, there's one character in the game who can remove stop status. But you might not see them until new game+ since they require a very high conviction score to recruit. (I think its utility?). So eventually you'll be able to deal with stuff like that.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm glad I took that route second instead of first, I had a way to deal with stop.

But, it is very possible with the tools you have. It's just incredibly difficult. You may have to turtle up and force the enemy to come to you, then concentrate all your fire power on the stop user. Once they are down, the battle is essentially down hill from there. Avoid getting multiple units stopped. Make use of your QPs.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to grind up some kudos for the revive because the only qp skills I have are In Tandom and Battle Cry.

Also Stop beats Invincible, and any cure all. It's op bullshit.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to grind up some kudos for the revive because the only qp skills I have are In Tandom and Battle Cry.

Also Stop beats Invincible, and any cure all. It's op bullshit.

The teleport one (Lightwave I think?) and restore are also pretty good, though restore doesn't remove stop it's still a full heal. But you can use those with Anna to kinda kite the boss and some of the casters using her stealth. So she can take a few of those nasty debuffs and live with the QP skills. Will only delay the boss so long but it can be enough to get you through it. That's what helped me anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"Stop is OP!"

Me in Piccoletta

"Yes, yes it is."

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

"Stop is OP!"

Me in Piccoletta

"Yes, yes it is."

Picoletta would have been so much better if A) her copied move could be used on the same turn B) the copy ability didn't have a high chance to fail C) there were more abilities than just Stop that are worth using after 2-3 turns of setup (depending on your TP count). She's has some of the most interesting abilities in the game but they're all, IMO, really mediocre despite what folks here suggest.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

Picoletta would have been so much better if A) her copied move could be used on the same turn B) the copy ability didn't have a high chance to fail C) there were more abilities than just Stop that are worth using after 2-3 turns of setup (depending on your TP count). She's has some of the most interesting abilities in the game but they're all, IMO, really mediocre despite what folks here suggest.

Picoletta has a lot of value. I agree the copy skill is mostly a gimmick but the rest of her kit is solid. She can spam elemental stones for very good damage without needing a TP battery unlike your other mages. She's also pretty beefy and can take hits. Her mobility is above average with decent move/jump as well. And her decoy utterly messes with enemy AI. Enemies prioritize weaker targets, and so they'll always stop what they are doing to chase a decoy if able.

So she's essentially a mage, but with none of the typical mage weaknesses. She might do a bit less damage than Frederica but it's close enough. Her only weakness is keeping her stocked with elemental stones is expensive, so that might be a reason to save her for a 2nd or 3rd playthrough. But as a character she's solid.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 18, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Finally did it! I got lucky and she didn't stop my shield bearer so I could feed him tp and keep using king's shield while the others took out the swarm. Dawnspear taking one for the homies

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JuniperCake posted:

At least though, there's one character in the game who can remove stop status. But you might not see them until new game+ since they require a very high conviction score to recruit. (I think its utility?). So eventually you'll be able to deal with stuff like that.

That recruit is the last Utility recruit, and that battle is on the Morality route, so you will almost certainly not have them for that particular fight outside of new game+.

Especially if you've been going wife path the whole time, because Frederica will never default to the yellow option.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That recruit is the last Utility recruit, and that battle is on the Morality route, so you will almost certainly not have them for that particular fight outside of new game+.

Especially if you've been going wife path the whole time, because Frederica will never default to the yellow option.

Most conviction points come from NPC questions so you can probably game enough from there, it'd be a huge hassle though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I finished the Fredrica run. I had to turn down the difficulty, as the allied AI wouldn't run and kept getting one shorted into game over
Good for Benedict tho. He doesn't have to worry about me making GBS threads up his plans with things like morals

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Game is good and fun but a bit silly. I'll see what carries over in ng+ before I try to get everything or just look up an ending guide

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Game is good and fun but a bit silly. I'll see what carries over in ng+ before I try to get everything or just look up an ending guide

You should at least do two playthroughs. The game is designed for it and almost everything carries through in NG+ as a result.

Not only that, the second time around the game introduces a bunch of quality of life improvements to make it easier for you to recruit people and force votes your way. Like it'll tell you what conviction stat each dialog choice is, and tell you what stats you need to recruit x character, etc.

There's one more reason to do it too, (vague spoilers related to the endings) There's a secret true ending if you make all the right choices up to that big chapter 17 choice. So you can use your second playthrough to scout things out to try to figure out what they are. If you for sure would only do one more playthrough though, then maybe go look up the choices. But replaying at least once more for that ending is worth it. It's a fantastic capstone for the game as a whole.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 22, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unless you've got a completionist streak two playthroughs is about right. there are a handful of missions and characters you can't get without four full playthroughs, as well as each ending. but you can see most of what there is to see with two.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Golden route is clearly meant to be your fourth playthrough because you have to split all of your characters up into three groups and if you don’t have all 30 some of your teams will be short. Maybe that isn’t a huge deal on Normal, but on Hard (and why wouldn’t you play on hard at that point?) you really need all of them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Golden route is clearly meant to be your fourth playthrough because you have to split all of your characters up into three groups and if you don’t have all 30 some of your teams will be short. Maybe that isn’t a huge deal on Normal, but on Hard (and why wouldn’t you play on hard at that point?) you really need all of them.

In two playthroughs you can get 28 characters though which is plenty enough. And people have accidentally triggered and completed golden route on their first playthrough while playing blind.

The fights in question aren't that bad. The hardest one probably being Roland's but if you take Jens/Rudolph and a few others you can really lock that map up and make it pretty easy even with less characters. Lionel existing is a free win on a map too if you have enough money to fund his overpowered weapon skill a couple of times.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 22, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JuniperCake posted:

In two playthroughs you can get 28 characters though which is plenty enough. And people have accidentally triggered and completed golden route on their first playthrough while playing blind.

The fights in question aren't that bad. The hardest one probably being Roland's but if you take Jens/Rudolph and a few others you can really lock that map up and make it pretty easy even with less characters. Lionel existing is a free win on a map too if you have enough money to fund his overpowered weapon skill a couple of times.

Hmm for some reason I thought there were more characters locked behind choosing different routes. It’s been a while since I played. I don’t recall if I had enough medals to promote everyone in two playthroughs, but you will probably get enough to make it manageable (on Normal)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's one character for each of the four variations of ch15, but travis requires a dumb series of choices and also he sucks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JuniperCake posted:

Like it'll tell you what conviction stat each dialog choice is, and tell you what stats you need to recruit x character, etc.
What does this mean? Like recruit for voting or to join the team? I assume there's some portrait people who didn't join that I could have convinced if I made some different choices somewhere.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

What does this mean? Like recruit for voting or to join the team? I assume there's some portrait people who didn't join that I could have convinced if I made some different choices somewhere.

The game will be more transparent about this on the second playthrough but most recruits in the game are based on your conviction stat which you gain by talking to npcs and taking one of the three offered choices. There's a few other sources of conviction but that's the big one.

Each recruit has a certain stat you need to have before they show up in your encampment and join you. Stuff like 1000 Morality 300 utility, etc. Once you get far enough in the game for them to show up on your new game plus playthrough, Archibald can give you a list of all the remaining recruits and the stats you need to make them show up. Almost all of these are non-story characters. Though you can recruit a few people you already know by picking certain paths at certain points in the game. Those aren't counted in the list.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 22, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

HootTheOwl posted:

All the characters who join you other than the initial eight (and the ones in chapter 3 and 15), by showing up at the war camp between chapters. These are Conviction recruits, that join you when you hit certain thresholds of Morality/Liberty/Utility. The game is deliberately opaque about this on a first playthrough, but NG+ tells you exactly what your scores for each are, what each decision contributes to your score, and, once you unlock the camp, what the thresholds for the remaining recruits are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unless I'm forgetting someone there's only 7 characters that are recruited by route choice, all the others are either default or via conviction thresholds.