Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, 8 default, 2 in chapter 3, 4 in chapter 15, 1 on the fourth route, and 15 by conviction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

In two playthroughs you can get 28 characters though which is plenty enough. And people have accidentally triggered and completed golden route on their first playthrough while playing blind.

The fights in question aren't that bad. The hardest one probably being Roland's but if you take Jens/Rudolph and a few others you can really lock that map up and make it pretty easy even with less characters. Lionel existing is a free win on a map too if you have enough money to fund his overpowered weapon skill a couple of times.

Important to note that while it's possible doing the golden route on a first run is not a good idea, you have to cheese at least one of the missions with very few characters in order to have enough manpower for the other two. You also won't have enough promotions to go around while on a 2nd run you'll have enough for everyone except like 1-2 people.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just did 2 runs. I think i'm ok with skipping Trish and Travis.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Important to note that while it's possible doing the golden route on a first run is not a good idea, you have to cheese at least one of the missions with very few characters in order to have enough manpower for the other two. You also won't have enough promotions to go around while on a 2nd run you'll have enough for everyone except like 1-2 people.

Oh yeah I wouldn't recommend it, I just know people have done it (by accident) so it's possible to do. Though a 2nd or 3rd playthrough golden route is pretty comfortable so long as you've kept up leveling your party.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My first run, I intentionally went for what I thought were the most destructive or poor decisions who needs that dam, potable drinking water, or places to live? Blow that poo poo up! Who needs Roland, anyway? Heck yeah, let's smuggle some poo poo! , but even then, I refused to give away the Roselle. Because I'm not a monster.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
So apparently this just got a Switch update today out of nowhere.

Triangle Strategy posted:

The following updates have been made:

• Story battles can be replayed
• Character stories can be replayed
• An Extra Chapter has been added

Some features may not be available right away depending on your progress in the game.

Don’t know if it’s on Steam, and I haven’t seen any official announcements or discussion. Just got surprised by an “update data was downloaded” while playing TotK.

Edit:

Triangle Strategy posted:

The Extra Chapter depicts scenes not included in the main game that unfold right before Serenoa and Frederica’s wedding. You will not be able to save while playing this chapter.

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 13, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s crazy. It’s also on sale!!!!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
That's really cool, but it doesn't seem like its out on steam just yet.

edit: checking the community forums, some folks found that a patch is in the works. https://steamdb.info/app/1850510/history/

So looks like we'll be getting it soon.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 13, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Neat!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

So looks like we'll be getting it soon.

And by soon apparently that meant 30 minutes from that post cause it's already out now. Nice.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jigsaw posted:

So apparently this just got a Switch update today out of nowhere.

Don’t know if it’s on Steam, and I haven’t seen any official announcements or discussion. Just got surprised by an “update data was downloaded” while playing TotK.

Edit:

Whoa wtf, thats such a great update.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The extra chapter is very cute, a saccharine sweet reward for getting the Golden Route. There's not much to say about it, it's just nice.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Just started playing this after finishing up Octopath 2. I'm about 12 hours in, just hit the part where i'm about to turn on cold land to join up with desert land (I promise I am paying attention to and loving the story, but both this and Octopath share the problem of "every single proper noun is impossible to remember unless it's on screen)

Not using a guide and feel like every decision I'm making is dogshit and I am not sticking to any one moral (at least, not intentionally), so I assume I'm going to get a miserable ending. Hope to go back for a NG+ though.

Question, though: I've now amassed a whole bunch of weird extra guys (a juggler???), and while I think it might be fun to mix them into my party, I am very stressed about the limited upgrade resources. How did y'all pick and choose what to upgrade? Did you just stick to the core characters (I did give main character my first level 2 upgrade), or did you try to spread upgrades out very evenly across all 15 or whatever guys? Are the kind of obvious gimmick characters (again: juggler) the sort of thing to not bother spending resources on unless you know what you're doing?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I prioritized the main cast, but the ones you use are the ones to grind.
Don't worry so much about everything on the horizontal tree, the costs grow geometricly, so after two wait until end game before getting the others
Anna is a murder machine, and so is your wife.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you haven't given your weird alternate characters a spin, it's always worth checking them out, you never know who might jive with your playstyle. The game is very generous with its leveling curve for characters who are underleveled, so it's never too late to slot someone in.

As for upgrades, the boring advice I have is "don't sweat it." All the camp recruits come well enough kitted that they won't need any of the fancy expensive upgrades, and the modular selectable weapon upgrades have a scaling cost that naturally discourages spending all your resources on a single character.

Definitely focus on the characters you use, but don't be afraid to see what everyone has to offer. Some characters are a lot more straightforward than they appear, and others have gimmicks that are far handier than you'd think.

I dunno if you've recruited them, but one recruit that usually shows up fairly early is the artisan, who ended up as the MVP of my first playthrough thanks to me apparently vibing perfectly with their unconventional skill set.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I stuck with the main cast for the first playthrough and focused on their upgrades because I liked them as characters. Then on NG+ I experimented with some different comps and teams and that was a good experience for me.

The game is a bit stingy with resources so you wont be able to upgrade everyone but as others said you don't need to in order to get through the game. So just try out stuff and upgrade who you end up liking. And don't be afraid to try the more unconventional units since some of them are really fun.

Nice thing about this game is almost every unit can be very useful in the right situation and there are no bad units. Juggler lady for example is pretty strong (she's effectively a mage with tank-like HP) but her one negative is she needs a lot of attack items to do damage and those can be very costly.

When you do NG+ the game will relax a bit and give you more resources to work with so eventually if you keep playing you'll be able to outfit everyone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You'll get a chance to use every unit in the game across the multiple playthroughs if you want. Just focus on a core team for each run and mix it up on the next one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I recommend playing newly unlocked side missions between main chapters to keep the guys you want to use up to scratch in terms of level. It's wise to choose who to deploy depending on the map. E.g. foot archers are great if you start on the high ground, awful if you are fighting uphill.

If you're stuck on what to upgrade, prioritise skills, especially passives, over stat increases.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 5, 2023

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Also, keep in mind that the "Weapon Damage Up" upgrades for the mage characters increases their spell damage (and for healers, it increases their healing capacity).

Experience drops off for units that are above the Recommended Level of a fight, so when doing the mock battles for experience, don't bother using characters above that level.

It's worth building up the merchant character because he gets a passive that makes him the best source of money in mock battles.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a fight like 1/3 through the story that's basically intended to be more-or-less unwinnable your first time through without use of certain environmental hazards. I managed to squeak by without using those hazards by abusing the hell out of Jens' net and spring traps to play keep-away with the boss enemy in the pack until I could whittle their health down.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

You can also take the route that doesn't have that fight, and it doesn't really change anything long-term.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You can win that fight without anything fancy, you have one squad pick off side units while the rest kinda just herd the others into a nice line and you just slowly pick them off. The boss unit is tough but has no range. And Erador can easily tank 2-3 units and cause a blockade of your guys and theirs. That ultimately prevents the boss from reaching you until you are ready for them.

And Jens also has another trick for that fight Just ladder up to the roof of some of the buildings with your casters and archers then remove the ladder. From there they can pick off all their soldiers and the boss without giving them means to fight back. Anna can sneak around and take care of the couple of archers they have along with hughette. If you have been using Rudolph or Corentin, they both have access to good tools to prevent enemy movement if you learned them as well.

Piccoletta's clones are useful too since the boss unit will prioritize them. But I think she learns that move too late to use it here unless NG+.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 6, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

You'll get a chance to use every unit in the game across the multiple playthroughs if you want. Just focus on a core team for each run and mix it up on the next one.

yeah this is correct, you can make every party combination work if you're playing hard too

i wouldnt worry too much about leveling up or upgrading characters either, the training mechanics make catching up/getting materials for upgrading pretty easy

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I did it on my first run and it wasnt toooo bad. a 7 7 7 (or might have been 6 on the last one) was able to get through

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I absolutely loved FFT back in the day and I've been meaning to pick this up (also the Octopath mobile game has a TS crossover coming up) and it happens to be on sale until the 4th.

Just getting ready to dive into it, can't wait.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Speaking of TS and FFT, is there a tactics Ogre thread?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Yes, but it’s pretty much dead:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009374

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Got the urge to pick my second playthrough back up after over a year. The last thing I did before putting it down was cheese chapter 13 (dam version) without fighting anyone thanks to Quahaug, before deciding I wanted the rewards, actually, and going back to the previous save. So this time I did the fight legit, where by "legit" I mean "Eventually I ended up with only Anna and Geela left alive against like 10 enemies, but luckily the AI on this map is so obsessed with defending the objective that they let me abuse stealth and auto revive while picking them off one by one."

I figured after that Geela had earned dibs on the promotion item Sycras dropped. :v:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

is this game always going to have an hour of cutscenes between every battle or does that fall off as you get into it?

i like srpg battles and team building but i bounce off almost every srpg because the stories are so long and boring.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

roomtone posted:

is this game always going to have an hour of cutscenes between every battle or does that fall off as you get into it?

i like srpg battles and team building but i bounce off almost every srpg because the stories are so long and boring.

It front loads the story pretty badly, but the amount of exposition gets lighter. It's still a story heavy game, but most people get deeply invested and what's happening gets much more exciting, so it's not a problem.

That first couple of hours though, yeah, oof.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m playing through at a glacial pace, and I’m just wondering: what does it actually mean when I trigger the “convictions” popup after beating training missions?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a hidden counter for the three convictions. mostly, it's used for recruiting new units. there's also an effect on the voting sections, but that's very opaque. after you beat the game once it stops being hidden.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

More specifically for the question I think you asked, while the lion's share of your convictions come from your story and exploration dialogue choices, they also increase very slowly through basic actions you take in battle and at camp. Stuff like using items, spending money, bringing/not bringing the recommended characters for a battle, finishing a battle with no fallen characters, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You have three hidden stats that represent your alignment with the three values that comprise the "triangle" in Triangle Strategy. That message is telling you that one of them has gone up, but it doesn't tell you which one or by how much. On NG+ you can see them. They indirectly determine what path you take through the story.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The convictions govern how well you can manipulate people during the voting phase, and when they hit certain levels randos will come to camp for recruitment.
You can't see this until NG+ where they're all revealed (your number, what you need for recruitment, and what happens when you chose an option)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Also just to specify, you don't have to worry too much about doing certain things in battle to raise your conviction stats a certain way. It's not like other tactics rpgs (i.e. Ogre Battle) were letting your chaos frame go low by doing certain things in battle can lock you into a bad ending or whatever. It's just a stat that measures how persuasive you are in convincing people towards certain ideologies, it doesn't control what ending you get by itself.

Though obviously it helps to have convictions that match what you want to do since it'll be easier to get people to vote the way you want them too. But as mentioned, the dialog options in exploration phases do more to raise conviction than other things so you can just focus on those.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I started a new playthrough of the story, and am stuck on the chapter 14 avolra fight.

Was that chapter always so hard? I don't remember having any troubles with this fight in previous attempts.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I started a new playthrough of the story, and am stuck on the chapter 14 avolra fight.

Was that chapter always so hard? I don't remember having any troubles with this fight in previous attempts.

Which variant? The boat one is easiest, because you can control when and how you engage. The castle garden one is tougher, as she will bum rush you with mage support and a couple of hawk riders harassing your back line.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Smiling Knight posted:

Which variant? The boat one is easiest, because you can control when and how you engage. The castle garden one is tougher, as she will bum rush you with mage support and a couple of hawk riders harassing your back line.

I did a reverse Jens trap in the garden and rocketed her into a big pile of my waiting dudes. Surrounded her and used the Stop quietus and she never got a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If it's the battle with the giant fountain in the middle, I brought one or two lightning users and prayed for a stun proc.