Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yep.

Decimal is great but does gently caress games up where you just need to hold a position. Abuse it. It doesn't quite feel as cheap as Quahog though. That fucker... I don't understand quite everything with him, but the few times I've taken him out it's just been ridiculous. People have already spelled out in what ways he's broken. He requires a bit of set-up to really get going, but even just using him as a regular character and avoiding some of his galaxy-brained combos still makes him ridiculous. He's an effective healer, has a very strong spell, and warping characters is incredibly useful.

As for Giovanna, I think I'm one of the few people who really likes her. I think she's tons of fun to use. On maps where she can work, flat maps with geography, she's rather ridiculous and you can get an easy spell pairing her with Corentin. But aside from that I just like making her run with horse characters, triggering rain, and making her a pseudo-healer who hits harder than you'd expect. Paired with the strength of Roland and Hossabara, they work as a very effective strike team. Still, I know she's not great, but I think she's cool.

I did a mock battle in that raised arena area and Corentin and Giovanna and they absolutely dominated together. They're a fun combo for sure, especially since it's usually worth having someone throw some ice at their feet to get them started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

real questions tho:

single target or multi-target damage bonus for Fred and Corentin?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean Medina can't restore 2TP to everyone at the start, or let Ezana have 100% Acc on her Ult, or trap the enemies in a timeloop that lets you kill one and then loop to kill another and then loop to kill another and then

The best part is he's still busted even if you don't go for the explicit gamebreaking stuff. You can put archers like archi and rudolph in nice high ground spots or move Erador into the middle of a bunch of units. He can also swap places with a squishy boss and put someone like an enemy Trish in the middle of all your melee. Even his one damage spell does percent max health as damage so you can just time stop and just chunk a boss with three bombs in a row. Then there's all the uses for his reverse time spell as a heal and using it to extend good status effects like invincibility or remove strong debuffs like stop, etc.

It's kinda hilarious how the one enemy time mage in this game has a very basic spell kit, but the one that actually joins you has all these weird and out there spells that are so game warping.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Phenotype posted:

real questions tho:

Personally I'd say single target, it's more important to try and delete enemies to decrease presure and healers exist. Not to mention both have really good AOE spells that are not the upgraded ones.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I went single target, personally. Burning down a single target as quickly as possible is usually the way to go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Phenotype posted:

real questions tho:

Fred gets single as you want her to get kills and get TP. Corentin is less of a killer. He’s about affecting terrain so take multi. Besides his single target spell casts silence which neuters an enemy especially mages so it’s a bit of a waste to then off them.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fred gets single as you want her to get kills and get TP. Corentin is less of a killer. He’s about affecting terrain so take multi. Besides his single target spell casts silence which neuters an enemy especially mages so it’s a bit of a waste to then off them.

Yeah this is how I do it. Fred I point at whoever I want to delete from existence; Corentin's more about crowd control.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello, just got the game last week, and I'm very bad at getting votes. So far we've managed to vote to betray whomever just allied with us.
I wanted to vote to help Roland, but was overruled, then tried to help the wheat house and was overruled. We then betrayed Aesfrost when Hyzanthe invaded, and exposed Ende's dealings. Of course we refused to hand over the roselle.
We just voted to blow up the bridge, so thankfully no choice there was "down Hyzanthe at sea" or somehow Benedict would have done it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Make sure you’re talking to everyone you can to get as much information as you can. It also increases your convictions, which make it easier to sway the votes the way you want.

Benedict is a real rear end in a top hat though he is always going to choose the ruthless paths.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Sounds like you have found a neat route so far. And yeah, I love how most of the characters around you are really flawed and will try to push you to some really questionable choices a lot of the time. It makes the vote mechanic pretty fun. Because lets be honest, Benedict and Roland are both trashfires in their respective ways and the game is better for it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello, just got the game last week, and I'm very bad at getting votes. So far we've managed to vote to betray whomever just allied with us.
I wanted to vote to help Roland, but was overruled, then tried to help the wheat house and was overruled. We then betrayed Aesfrost when Hyzanthe invaded, and exposed Ende's dealings. Of course we refused to hand over the roselle.
We just voted to blow up the bridge, so thankfully no choice there was "down Hyzanthe at sea" or somehow Benedict would have done it

Benedict living his best life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly it's not the worst thing to have them overrule you your first run since you can do different choices later and you'll have more conviction. But yeah if you're getting overruled it means you've not been thorough enough in the exploration sections.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well, it also means you aren't being consistent in your values. You can't talk all pragmatic in your conversations and then argue for doing the honourable thing, for example.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I usually had the unlocked dialog options, and during the persusasion phase I think I realized just spamming the unlocked option wasn't an instant-persusasion.

Also, drowning the Hyzanthe fleet was the comedy option, game. I didn't think you'd actually Drown General Avlora (although, ofc, we didn't see the body)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You also get conviction from votes, so if you always do The Benedict Thing, future votes will only be more inclined to do The Benedict Thing.

which is not the worst path, but also not the wife path

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's kinda funny that in the early game they said it was my choice and as lord I had the authority, but I'm the only one who doesn't vote!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
In the first demo, you did vote, so it was cut relatively late. I think they realized, correctly in my opinion, that if Serenoa could vote and his vote was the tiebreaker, it was extremely easy to make the votes go your way without having to engage with the persuasion system at all. That’s especially true once you start getting into three-way votes, where if you sided with a two-person faction without trying to convince anyone, the worst any other option could do is tie you, and your vote would break the tie. So they cut the player’s vote and only allowed them to break ties.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I think Serenoa having a vote would undercut the message of the true ending as well.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I never got vote blocked because I managed to gain points fairly equally through my dialog choices during exploration phases (which matter much more than the decisions themselves). I think you only ever have to convince one person who isn't on the fence to go along with your plan. Unless you're accidentally really good at being consistent in your choices.

----

So this game cracked 1 million sold in December. I would consider that a success--not as nearly as fast selling as Octopath (and maybe slightly slower than OT2), but that gives Tomoya Asano two "HD 2D" games that have sold over a million copies in less than a year, which is still impressive. I would love to see a sequel to this game take things a bit farther mechanically (more customization per unit) in the way that Octopath 2 did....

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No customization! More unique bespoke characters though.

Unless customization is a binary choice for an upgrade or whatever. That’s the most I’ll accept. The game is so finely tuned specifically because it’s designed to the units available. FFTA is fun but once you can do whatever you want the game just breaks.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I saw a rumor on twitter that we might be getting a patch with some extra content and a cutscene viewer, anyone else hear about that? It was supposedly a translation of a Japanese twitter post.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I saw a rumor on twitter that we might be getting a patch with some extra content and a cutscene viewer, anyone else hear about that? It was supposedly a translation of a Japanese twitter post.

I heard something vaguely on Twitch about there being a possible cut scene for a wedding.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No customization! More unique bespoke characters though.

Unless customization is a binary choice for an upgrade or whatever. That’s the most I’ll accept. The game is so finely tuned specifically because it’s designed to the units available. FFTA is fun but once you can do whatever you want the game just breaks.

Yes absolutely, each unit being completely unique is why this is one of my favorite entries in the genre.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Units can still be unique without sacrificing a sense of choice. The "choices" you're given in this game are based on resource scarcity, and many of the upgrades are "more stat." I would love to see a skill tree similar to what is already implemented, and allow a unit to lean into one of their gimmicks a bit more than simple stat bonuses. Like all the offensive options on Erador could amount to different gameplay style for him.

Right now, there are too many instances of unlocking stat + 1 to get access to stat + 2 to get access to--you guessed it!--stat + 3.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Those stats add up though and it prevents power creep. Resource scarcity is artificial though.

The game is designed to be played several times and is at its best when done so. Hard will require you to be fully kitted out at max level and I personally find you’re strong enough in normal to do some outlandish things.

Playing a minimum of 2 times, even better 3 and you’ll have more than enough materials for everyone.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Right now there's only a couple of meaningful choices for upgrades. Stuff like the pick one out of two ability upgrades are probably the only ones that significantly change how some characters play. Unfortunately there's only 1 or 2 of those sort of choices per character and on top of that usually one option is much better than the other. (Frederica has a lot more synergy with the chain upgrade than her aoe upgrade based on how her TP generation works as mentioned above is one example). But at least it's something other than just +stat.

I think the game is complete and good as it is. But I definitely wouldn't mind if they added a couple more of those pick one out of two skills to upgrade choices. That could go a long way for "specializing" characters without them losing their individual flavor. If you think it would mess up the flow of the game, maybe it could be something you could earn in 3rd+ playthroughs when you are running out of ways to build up your characters. Since the game does take 4-5 playthroughs to see everything (depending on how efficient/lucky your choices are).

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think this was a big choice in chapter 15:
Chose to help the Roselle because uh, it's your kingdom Roland. You fix it.
Dad, pick up the quill and send me a letter.
Yeah I'm going to help the border town with the population of former slaves who also happen to live in my demanse. Why are the other two opens even there?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The major factor to that one not being the only viable choice is Frederica says she can handle it on her own and is fine with you doing something else and, unlike with certain other characters, you might actually take her word for it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah I'm going to help the border town with the population of former slaves who also happen to live in my demanse. Why are the other two opens even there?

It's absolutely a major choice but don't worry too much about it. Just go with your instincts.
As far as justifying the other choices You can argue that Frederica is perfectly capable of fending off some bandits by herself. And that your Father getting better and being able to talk to you and give you good advice after you've already been through so much is a huge deal. Serenoa might have some very strong personal reasons for wanting to see him considering for all he knew he'd never get to talk to him again. And if you assume that Fredrica and Roland will be fine with their tasks then there's no reason not to go see him.

In the case of Roland, it's not hard to see that he would probably benefit by having a single friend around that he can count on. You know while he's surrounded by a bunch of backstabbing nobles that likely want him dead. Also you've seen this man make decisions, is it really safe to leave him alone to his own devices?

They lay out good justification for going with any of the three imo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HootTheOwl posted:

I helped the Roselle all the way through my first run and didn’t regret it at all. The other choices are decent though (and give you other characters who are also good)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, it may not seem like it, but there are good reasons for all three choices. I did help the Roselle my first time through, though. It actually ended up being what saved me from accidentally pulling the Golden Route on my first time through.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter 15 was the one time I didn't choose the Roselle because yeah Frederica could handle a couple bandits by herself. Seemed of relatively low importance in the grand scheme of things. Especially compared to royalists forces in the kingdom are actively sabotaging the new rule and leaving the poor to die.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm honestly surprised as many people here are satisfied with the current system as it was built. It felt like a very half-baked "well we need to do some sort of customization" system that, while I'm glad to have, could very much use refinement. The very few options that they did build in DID allow for some change in strategies. This will allow some characters that fall off in usefulness in later play-throughs to shine in a different way.

HootTheOwl posted:

I think it really depends on your mindset. I figured the game was heavily telegraphing something that would happen based on your choice, and my choice became more meta-gamey than an actual story decision. So I predicted the outcome for the village and for going home to see dad, but had no idea what would happen if you remained to help Roland.

I was happy with my choice to return home to dad, but til this day haven't seen Roland's path.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think customisation wouldn't really help the game much so the fact that its halfbaked doesn't bother me.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

I think it really depends on your mindset. I figured the game was heavily telegraphing something that would happen based on your choice, and my choice became more meta-gamey than an actual story decision. So I predicted the outcome for the village and for going home to see dad, but had no idea what would happen if you remained to help Roland.

I was happy with my choice to return home to dad, but til this day haven't seen Roland's path.

Roland's Path: Like the other paths, the events don't change. You just get additional context by witnessing the events as they happen. In this case you get to witness Roland failing at being King despite him trying his hardest to do the right thing. His attempts to stop the nobles end with the common people turning on him and condemning him as a tyrant. So you get to see the emotional baggage that leads to the colossally stupid decision that he makes two chapters later.

The recruit is very good though. Cordelia is a great healer and your only source of the regen status. Her ultimate is more or less as good as Geela's, she massively buffs someone's max HP temporarily. Though imo Milo is still the best out of all the chapter 15 recruits, so you chose well.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 14, 2023

Prowler
May 24, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

Roland's Path: Like the other paths, the events don't change. You just get additional context by witnessing the events as they happen. In this case you get to witness Roland failing at being King despite him trying his hardest to do the right thing. His attempts to stop the nobles end with the common people turning on him and condemning him as a tyrant. So you get to see the emotional baggage that leads to the colossally stupid decision that he makes two chapters later.

The recruit is very good though. Cordelia is a great healer and your only source of the regen status. Her ultimate is more or less as good as Geela's, she massively buffs someone's max HP temporarily. Though imo Milo is still the best out of all the chapter 15 recruits, so you chose well.

Related spoilers:
I played through the game 3 times (four endings, 3 playthroughs) and chose Milo the first time because she was an unbelievable boon thanks to her movement and magic-based attack. I didn't need another archer, and I had no idea what was behind door number 3, nor that there was technically a door number 4. I hear Cordelia's the only one who has the ability to increase evasion, which would have earned her a spot on my team over Geela if I brought any of the high evasion units. It's a shame how they structured Chapter 15.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

Related spoilers:
I played through the game 3 times (four endings, 3 playthroughs) and chose Milo the first time because she was an unbelievable boon thanks to her movement and magic-based attack. I didn't need another archer, and I had no idea what was behind door number 3, nor that there was technically a door number 4. I hear Cordelia's the only one who has the ability to increase evasion, which would have earned her a spot on my team over Geela if I brought any of the high evasion units. It's a shame how they structured Chapter 15.

Yeah that's very similiar to what happened to me I also did 3 playthroughs and chose Milo -> Cordelia -> Milo since I wanted to do true ending and be done with the game for the third play through. I guess it makes the chapter 15 recruits more special since its really difficult to get them all. But it does feel really awkward since if you get Milo early you have to do 5 playthroughs to have all characters in true route.

Doing an entire playthrough just to get someone like Travis doesn't seem like much fun. But the game is long enough as it is so I'm glad there's not enough content to seriously support 4-5 playthroughs. 3 feels like a pretty good number to me.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 15, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trish seems great but do I need four archers?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HootTheOwl posted:

Trish seems great but do I need four archers?

They each fill a different niche. Trish has some cool abilities, she can move really far with her jump. Hughette can fly and debuff, Archibald can shoot really far and has some goofy moves, the other guy can make traps and debuff iirc. I played the game a year ago, I can’t remember everything :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, one thing I do like about this game is all of the characters are pretty usable and have their pros and cons. And there's always at least a few situations/maps where a particular unit is going to be very effective. With a cast of 30 characters that all have unique kits that's pretty neat.

Even Gio who people love to hate is pretty good when you pair her with Corentin on a flat map and just ice everything up.