Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
II made a joke during the direct about this being another tactical rpg where you mash button through too-much dialogue, thinking it was a generic burn for a new fire emblem. That ended up feeling very true, especially since they were like "just enjoy the atmosphere, don't worry about this out-of-context chunk of story." There were a dozen blue pings on a map I assumed were game content, was impressed how much they gave us... then they were all cutscenes and emotional moments for characters I didn't know. Just a loooot of time spent fast-forwarding stuff. Worst part is, presumably in full game, missing out on those scenes probably impacts things or might be relevant info in some later decision to make? If this was Disco Elysium tier writing... maybe I'd be more invested from the outset? Even then, DE's story works with the gameplay itself, it is the gameplay. This is just... not incorporated into the game at all, it's a separate thing and seems stories will be mostly told in these weird compartmentalized chunks.

An "arcade mode" where you just have a super mario world map of the branching choices and you hop from battle to battle without all the dialogue would be sweet.

The actual combat parts I really enjoyed. I kind of wish the camera wasn't so free, I think I'd prefer just snapping to cardinal orientations and adjust controls along with it when switching. I liked the classes they let us play with, but I have to wonder if there's any room there for choosing how characters progress, or if it's all just individuals you must independently consider. I like a job system, but I see the merits of individuals too.

I look forward to the "judge powers" that we'll eventually get. The two I saw in demo were good, just solid fair little boons, but I'm hoping there's crazier stuff eventually.

The AI was pretty good, they were a bit predictable in going for juicy backside crits, so you can sometimes intentionally expose a squishy back to bait an enemy into a spot where you can easily overwhelm it. I was glad the mages could take a couple crit backstabs and still survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
FFT added playable playboy bunnies which cancels out all the boring war and strife you fast-forward through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Junpei posted:

I'm gonna smack the next person who calls this game "Weeb Game Of Thrones"

(no one here, mind, I'm annoyed at other people on other websites.)

Why, seems like way higher praise than is deserved from what I read so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I never read it, just watched the show and had a couple decades of people saying you gotta read song of ice and fire and endlessly hounding the dude to finish the series. My impression of GoT isn't it's grossness but lol yeah there's a lot of grossness there.

If someone said weeb game of thrones I would think tediously War of Rosesey medieval political character-focused fantasy but with all the things that are insufferable/deeply-cherished about anime'd games. From your reaction I'm guessing you take it to mean "weeb gross incest and sex crimes of thrones." That's gross in GoT and anime and everywhere lol

So far the basis I'd see to compare this and GoTshow is that they almost immediately make me dislike the royal blonde dude. "Let's see how many people we can kill and compete for score" gently caress off dude wasn't cute when gimli and legoman did it either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, I can put up with bad stories and character building if the strategy combat is good... but it isn't + it doesn't have any of the save/load options I'd want in a game like this. Glad they put the demo out, will probably finish it out just to see if maybe they buried a hook somewhere but looking more like a pass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

One of the reasons I never got around to finishing 3 Houses, finishing a single battle was exhausting, followed by some downtime to run around and find the hidden objects and maybe someone had something interesting to say.

Eugh, bane of my existence. Even having to squat on loot in this game to collect it is a pain.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is her hair pink tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yes, lovely exposition dump text boxes are the only way a videogame can possibly convey a story or narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lmao you couldnt even go 10 minutes