Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alr
May 14, 2009
Only played through the first battle in the demo so far, first impressions are relatively positive. Main complaint is that overall it feels bad to actually play, like you have to force through a layer of stuff to get results, and that's mainly from a collection of smaller annoyances that others have pointed out. I'd like to use the D-pad for grid selection, but the camera sometimes sits right on the border of switching the direction the pad will take you, so up will move the cursor up and right, but a tiny adjustment will now have it moving up and left. The camera itself and the buttons feel like there's a fair bit of input lag. The colours aren't distinctive enough. The post processing effects are far too strong for my liking, which muddles things more than it needs to, and makes it difficult to tell which character is which. The red lines that show which enemy will attack you come out far too slow, I feel like that should be an instant display. I'd like touchscreen support for the display on the bottom that shows unit order. The UI element for A/action and X/end turn is in the middle of the screen. All seems like stuff that can be polished over the next year.

I love what I've seen of the magic and movement. Using a shield guy to punt a grunt off the drawbridge, using the mage to create ice walls that hinders movement and can protect weakpoints, satisfying stuff. I feel like mounted units should be able to move further, but that might just be a class/promotion thing. If they fix a few of those annoyances and deliver on the voting/scales system I can see myself loving this. Maxwell is 100% coming back at a critical point in the story after being "killed" at the end of that chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU