Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The bridge version of chapter 13 on hard took like 2 and a half hours to beat as I slowly plinked away hoping for my turns to line up so I could kill the healers. It was worth it though for the mental image of Frederica stepping through her evil sisters bombs and flames while getting stronger to roast her and her brother.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use Frederica for a while because she's like 3 levels ahead of everyone else along with Milo, Geela, Medina and Archibald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The writing in the cutscene immediately after choosing the Roland path is up there for one of my favorite scenes in JRPGs. It's so good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Jens is probably the one character whose worth most depends on the map setup. Ladders and traps will shut down some maps. I agree with Giovanna being in the lowest tier which is unusual for a tactics game because of her great movement. Lionel as well because it takes so long for him to get his good abilities. Piccoletta feels like she should be down there to at max level but I think her early game performance boosts her a good bit. On the other end I think Erador and Medina are the clear S tiers with Frederica, Corentin, and Milo right behind.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've messed around with Quahog a bit more and can see why he's S tier. The majority of his abilities are nice utility effects but his two broken ones are Stop Time and Reverse Space Time. Reverse Space Time reverts everyone's status to how they were at the previous turn but most importantly does not revive dead units. This allows you to dump a ton TP taking out a target or group of targets with powerful but TP expensive moves and then undo it and repeat the process with a new target. I did not realize that units still gained TP while Stop Time is active which makes it strongest battery ability in the game with the caveat that enemies will gain TP as well. The extra actions are nice too especially since Quahog can unfreeze an ally if you use the move when he has enough TP. Pairing this with Ezana to get perfect accuracy Right of Thunderstorms seems to be the most popular strategy. The problem with Quahog is that his broken abilities are incredibly tedious to use. Stop Time takes forever as you have to watch enemies and allies pass their turns and Reverse Space Time will usually make you have to waste time moving units back in position.

Medina's heal everyone skill sadly does not activate TP Physick but the healing is a good bit stronger than just using an HP pellet on everyone.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Yeah Corentin's usefulness curve is kind of similar to Benedict. He's good at the start of the game, then falls behind as Frederica and Ezana outpace him for damage. Then he gets Glacial Moon and the TP on Ice and he's back to being really good.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I also think Giovanna is kind of underwhelming for the reasons mentioned even after promotion and full upgrades. Rock Throw is weaker than attacks from most of the archers and her other attacks take too much set up. I think she would be fun if she set the terrain rather than having to stand on the right terrain to use her abilities. Would give her an interesting niche and make her a bit of a red mage who specializes in line magic rather than the typical plus shape.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just did the mental mock battle that unlocks after the golden ending. Overall it was pretty easy and I didn't end up losing anyone. It gets pretty spicy towards the end but just takes way to long to get there. Before the last 15 or so enemies the waves just can't handle the amount of crowd control and damage mitigation a well constructed team can dish out and at that point everyone is so stacked with buffs you can just push through. Giovanna may have actually been the MVP of the fight but that battlefield is tailor made for her and Corentin was dumping ice everywhere so she could use Gelid Barrage when she didn't have a good grass tile to use for Ivy Beam.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The strategy that finally worked for me in that fight was pulling my characters back and advancing up the left side cliff. Trying to go up the right side cliff immediately just gets you flanked by the rogues from the left cliff while the archers rain shots on you. Jens was really good on that map as he can make ladders to help you get the high ground faster and can use his traps to deal fall damage to anyone who tries to advance on your position.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Chapter 7 is generally considered to be where the game picks up steam and a very slow early game is a common complaint. It doesn't help that for the first couple chapters you don't have access to the mental mock battles so the dialogue/gameplay split is skewed even more towards dialogue.

As far as the difficulty, if you're playing on hard then it will remain very difficult the entire way through. Most enemy skillsets will remain very simple but on hard they will far surpass you team in terms of damage dealt and taken. As you progress the enemies won't be able to keep up in terms of available moves but the damage difference will continue to increase and will generally have starting formation and numbers that more heavily favor them. Once you reach NG+ and later playthroughs though you will have so many options and available strategies that the enemy will have a much harder time keeping up with your team.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
If you ended up with the map where you get pincered by Thalos and Erika on the bridge, that is one of the most difficult chapters in the game. I ended up cheesing it by putting Archibald and Hughette on the upper levels and spreading damage around until the healer AI brain farted. I was able to keep Frederica alive and it was pretty cool to see her blast Erika away as Erika can't damage Frederica if her Fire Absorb skill is active.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Phenotype posted:

Who do you guys tend to swap out of the initial party? The starting 8 all seem to fill very specific roles, I think the only one I could get rid of easily would be the slow shieldbearer guy that never gets there in time.

Also, what does it mean when I get "Serenoa's Convictions Have Been Strengthened" after a combat? I thought that was just when I make some sort of decision.

All of the initial 8 are varying degrees of decent to great. The game is pretty stingy with brawler type characters early on so that alone gives Seronoa a niche as someone who can both give and take hits on the front line. Roland is probably the weakest overall especially on a first playthrough but if you make sure not to overextend he can do a lot of damage. Benedict falls off a bit once stats outpace the flat boosts from his buffs but gets incredibly good once he gets his weapon mastery skill. Anna falls off a bit on hard mode but can do some silly things on normal mode and is still good at spreading status on hard. Frederica and Hughette have maps here and there where they may not be the best choice but overall are incredibly strong. Geela never really gets fully replaced as a healer because of her availability and ease of use and has a top 5 weapon skill. Erador is probably the best unit in the game on hard mode and his weapon skill can completely swing action economy in your parties favor.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Serenoa can take a hit or two tops. He shouldn’t be a wall unless you got healing trained on him or one of the auto-resurrection items.

To be fair that’s how I use Roland, both earrings and just let him go wild.

I do hold the other healer is better than Geela with planning and foresight but Geela is easier to use. Then again taking two healers is never bad and really breaks hard mode with good use of tanks.
I disagree primarily because I find Miraculous Light to be a better skill than Above and Beyond. There are enough maps where your characters have to be on the move that Geela pulls ahead on the TP efficiency side as well.

Also, GiantRockFromSpace, the secret to dealing with the double acting rogues is ice. They have really low movement in exchange for their double acting so moving through ice tiles slows them pretty substantially.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 5, 2023

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, so the next map wasn't too bad even if I had a few loses, so now I'm at the final chapter.

Checking it out Idore is the only offensive mage in the map and even with his ridiculous range I guess bringing multiple tanks might be a good idea? Corentin of course to Glacial Moon the hill, the usual TP batteries and Hughette to harass?

Also, who would be a good final class T3 character? Since I got a medal last map.

If you have them Maxwell gets probably the biggest boost as a tier three unit as they have one of the 5 TP weapon skills and I believe the auto revive passive unlocks at tier 3 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Piccoletta has an interesting trajectory since her decoy is best early on but her boosted items get easier to use later. Unfortunately I find her to be pretty underwhelming. The stats of the decoy fall off so hard that it can really only take one good hit once characters start hitting their last tier. It also goes from being able to do some chip to hitting for 1 damage on any enemy that's not a mage. She can still be handy against short ranged bosses with the decoy because it inflicts max HP % damage on death. It's hard to justify spending a bunch of money on attack items early on because money is just so tight and later she doesn't keep up with the power of mages when they start getting the stronger passives.