Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just cleared the chapter 7 battle and I've got a couple Q's about the broader mechanics.

-I picked the protect Roland route and really wanted to not burn any houses down, but I'm pretty sure it cannot be done without tons of grinding or cheesing. I managed to only fire one of the three traps, so that's at least something. Has anyone managed to do this? Was there a way to cheese Avlora?

-Do I ever get to see what my convictions actually are, other than really strengthened? My party was a lot easier to convince to protect Roland than to surrender him; was this because of my convictions were more moral than utilitarian or is that always the case?

-I got a medal of bravery from the battle and one from the kudos store, plus some silver as spoils, but most of my units are above level 10 and ruefully unupgraded. Is there anything particular I should keep my eye on, or will they just slowly pile up as I play through the game and win battles and spoils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought the boss was immune to status effects? Is there some way to circumvent that? Would also be good to know going forward, Anna is a pretty integral part of my tactics.

I did have most of those tools, but I managed to take off a quarter of her health while she took out half my party. Ah well, perhaps some day I'll face this map again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know, but the chapter 7 boss was wearing an amulet of immunity or something that claimed to provide immunity against all status effects. I didn't try poison, but it did block the couple effects I tried.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, I beat the game taking two of the endgame paths; I'm not gonna check the third one even for curiosity's sake.

I ended up agreeing with Frederica for every single major choice, because she pretty clearly had the right ideas. I genuinely did not expect that policy to go where it did, and I was thinking I was gonna be mad at the game for not letting me pick the obviously correct solution, but then it did! A+ routing.

I never struggled to influence a vote in my favor, but I guess I had a pretty consistent moral profile and the game did outright tell me that it was gonna be a lot harder to convince people to do the things I didn't want, so I guess just consistently agreeing with one viewpoint is easy mode there.

The other route was a bit of a letdown; you've got a cool confrontation and some scheme-hatchery at the start, but then it's just three fights straight in a row, two on some non-descript desert plains, and one on a reused map. And while I agree with Roland that capitalism is evil, his alternative was an equally corrupt system of state capitalism but also one founded on slavery. Then we get a nice little ending scene of him lamenting the plight of the people he sought to enslave, and also cozying up to Emperor Palpatine. lmao get hosed roland you are not vindicated by any of this

Gonna check out New Game+ probably sooner rather than later, easter break is coming up, but this was a nice SRPG. Jens was my surprise champion, he saved my bacon on so many occasions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay I took a look at New Game+ and I gotta ask: is there any way to get more Superior crafting materials in some way? I picked up a handful in exploration segments and cleaned out the peddler's stock, but it seems like that's it? There were abilities I never got to unlock because I turned out to have a fondness for characters with stone-based weapons, and I'm gonna sour on NG+ real quick if it doesn't let me change up my crew and unlock the full potential of all these weird gimmick characters I never really tried.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The World Inferno posted:

What do you retain between New Game +'s? Sounds like you might keep the party members throughout, tho curious how that works out.

Pretty much everything. The first battle is a fixed party, but after that you can go hog wild. You can field Julio and Flanagan for the tournament even though they're on the other teams, they don't mind.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is in my opinion the single hardest fight in the game and it rules. I got owned by it so many times. What I eventually figured out was the inverse, Thalas' side has all the mages while Erika's group is her and the healers. I just burned all my quietuses to bum rush Thalas and killed him and the mages and scrambled to set up a defensive line on the south side, with just few enough casualties that I was able to survive the rest of the map.

Jens is an absolute godsend on that map because a spring trap can send an enemy over the edge and deal a good chunk of damage and take them out of the running for a turn or two. I ended up getting to ignore Erika entirely because she was gracious enough to step on one and then I'd just keep dropping them on the ladder and she'd keep getting knocked back off before she could do anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I managed to do that and as far as I can tell, no. Maybe the dialogue is a bit more incredulous; I haven't seen what happens if you go about it the expected way.

Boy did it take forever but feel satisfying, though, after failing to accomplish that on the regular map in my original playthrough. Also the 283 kudos I earned were a godsend for making the subsequent maps a fair bit more bearable.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This game has a lot of fantastic voice acting, but I think the record has to go to the dog in the golden recruit's side story. Literally just a guy going "woof! ruff!" in a not-even-Scooby-Doo voice. Ten stars.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conviction does two things: makes it easier to sway people during the Scales of Conviction phases, and affects which optional party members you get.

Just picking the answer you like is exactly the correct way to play. No matter what you pick you'll get new party members at roughly the same rate, and all it really does is inform your friends what kind of person you are. If you've been championing Morality, your party members will be more willing to take risky actions that benefit a third party, et cetera.

My first playthrough I ended up agreeing with Frederica on every choice that came up, which meant it was easy for me to get the party on board with her ideas and hard to make them root against her.

If you get to new game+ the game strips away all the mystery and tells you exactly what your scores are, to what each dialogue choice corresponds, how to get more points, and how many points you need to get the remaining party members. You can look this up if you want, but I recommend against it, the system is set up in a way that feels organic and rewards all choices equally.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can also press X during conversations to bring up profiles of named characters, including ones who don't show up in battles, which include a portrait.

I somehow missed this for half the game, even though it helpfully shows up on the UI for every single conversation unless you press the hide UI button.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Both of those things are actually Aelfric, the evil necromancy crystals Lyla is developing. Its use as an explosive is just a side-effect they happen to be exploring when you turn up; it's real purpose is to animate puppets and turn Idore into a lich king. He only mentions this briefly on the Morality ending, but add in Lyla's research you find in the chapter beforehand and the Hierophant and her pink-haired puppet minions on the liberty route and it becomes clear what's going on. There is no "goddess' magic" it's all Aelfric. At least that's my read on it; there's magic, but it's relatively grounded magic.

Also in the fourth route, Idore explicitly says the goddess' magic is a lie he made up to control the masses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I remember thinking I'd convinced a stone wall Benedict, but when it got to the actual voting phase he said "You've got a good plan, but it's not the best plan" and voted for his own thing. I'm guessing most characters have some variation of that line to indicate that you said the correct things and only failed because your conviction scores were too low.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the characters' in-game arguments are reasonable enough the end goal for either salt scheme is to expose Sorsley and earn Hyzante's cooperation, and however one feels about Hyzante, they're literally the only force left that can oppose Aesfrost. Their reservations to the smuggling plan are a mix of not wanting to do actual crimes or fearing that doing crimes may get you on Hyzante's shitlist, and the ones for the smuggling plan are thinking that you can't just waltz into Hyzante without proof, or that making contact with the other end of the smuggling scheme is worth the risk. All that is entirely reasonable in-universe I think.

Honestly I wouldn't think too hard about the Fourth Route; the game is very much designed for the first playthrough to push you in one direction over which you have limited control, but which is nevertheless marked by your choices. If you're only going to see one ending, it's a disservice to make it the Fourth Route one.

(also Three Houses totally did have a perfect route i will fight you on this)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deified Data posted:

So I lost the vote in ch. 7 part 1, everyone was "might as well be talking to a brick wall" on the Hand over Roland side. I think Anna was the deciding factor as I had a dialogue option still unknown with her. What was it? I already had the one about the secret weapon and Maxwell's sacrifice, and I thought I talked to everyone

I forget if there's others, but one option is that there's a bounty on Roland that specifies they want him alive. That might actually be what you needed. I don't remember where you learn it, but I'm pretty sure the town is literally the only place it could be.

Try moving the camera around during exploration phases and look at the town from multiple angles, and check which houses you can enter. There's sometimes NPCs and loot hanging around hard-to-spot corners.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deified Data posted:

I got this one and assumed it was meant to support the "hand over Roland" position as an appeasing argument for anyone worried about his safety. Still no idea what choice I missed, there must have been an npc hiding from me somewhere in the town.

Ohh, I misread, I thought that was the option you were going for. Looking back at the information log, you could have learned about Serenoa's Duty while visiting the Roselle Village, and Glenbrook's Three High Houses which I think is from the pre-tournament festival in chapter 2. Some information can only be found before the vote comes up! The former is probably the missing option, but I doubt it would be the optimal one for swaying Anna.

Sounds like you've just been a bit too utilitarian to convince your allies to take unnecessary risks!

E: out of curiousity, did you also try to convince Anna to hand over Roland and deliberately pick the least convincing choices? I dunno if it'd work there, but it has to work somewhere

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 25, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No spoilers on what actually happens, but as I read it at the time the apparent pros and cons of each plan:

Frederica: Pros: free Roselle, an actual hope of peace for you and yours, spitting in the face of Hyzante
Cons: Leaving Wolffort and Glennbrook behind

Benedict: Pros: Smashing up Hyzante but good
Cons: Kicking off another big scale war
Also Serenoa becoming king of Glennbrook and letting Gustadolph get a slice of the pie may be a pro or con depending on your read of the character

Roland: Pros: lol yes there will definitely never be another war if we hand the keys to the slaving fascist theocrats get the hell out of here Roland
Cons: you've been to Hyzante and have met the people running the place, you can't even pretend you don't know what you're doing

In the end what tipped me over was it felt more like video game logic than actual logic that Benedict's plan would work out as intended, particularly given the nepoticide and war crimes Gustadolph committed to get control of the mine the first time around, whereas Frederica's cutting remark about waiting for emancipation to fit into the next conqueror's timetable resonated with me on a far higher level. Plus I'd spent half the game thinking "why don't we just kick down the door, pull out the Roselle, and gently caress the consequences?" and I was genuinely not expecting the game to actually give me that option, that was cool.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Golden Route

Seems literally impossible to win without using the fire traps. I ended up using three of them and it was the only way. Not that there’s any reason not to use them, at that point in the story. But drat that was an absurdly hard battle and I think I had four units left at the end. On to Twinsgate, I guess!

I managed to pull it off mostly via ladder shenanigans and Hughette's Take Aim ability absolutely wrecking the action economy. I suicide rushed Exharme and his mage buddies, and just huddled up on the roofs afterwards. I tried to use Anna to take out any additional mages that spawned, which she absolutely could not do solo, but her being a target that can appear and disappear at will did a lot to mess up the AI and ensured they never managed to climb said ladders. Took for frickin ever and was kind of cheesy, but it also earned me 283 kudos which came in real handy for buying upgrade materials and promotion items for my other teams.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Edelgard route in Three Houses was originally intended to be an Easter Egg route that was obscure to unlock. The others share some DNA but it is basically its entire own self-contained story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wasn't really a fan of Awakening or Fates, but Three Houses rules. I'd love a more straightforward Fire Emblem one of these days, but apparently I'm a sucker for social link poo poo if you put it in a home instance that actually matters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I would kill for most of the Black Eagles. Triangle Strategy does have some strong characters, but I don't know if I'd lay down my life for any of them.

Other than Frederica, obviously.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love that the very last shot of the Liberty route is Serenoa sitting on a throne looking glum, with a glummer Frederica at his one side, and Benedict with the biggest poo poo-eating grin on the other.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but this is Triangle Strategy. We get both the picture and the thousand words.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can set the difficulty to Very Easy and any mock battle will do. Pick something well above their level if you just want them to hang back and toss items, or you can pick something “only” 5-10 levels over theirs and they can get to participate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, on the Benedict route, one of the bombshells Benny drops on Gustadolph is that salt can be used to preserve food, which blows Gustadolph's mind so frickin' much that he decides to enter a real alliance instead of immediately betraying you when he gets the chance. Food preservation is not a known technology in Norzelia.

Which does raise the question of why salt is so important that it defines the continent. You get a lot of incidental dialogue that it is a vital resource, but I don't think anyone ever mentions a use for it that isn't a groundbreaking scientific discovery, other than using it as a spice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pretty much yeah, you’re coming at most maps below the recommended level which defines the exp curve and lets you level up faster.

You’ll eventually get access to practice battles (immediately before or after the bridge battle, I don’t recall which, but you should have just unlocked the encampment), which is another option to earn exp.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Literally anything a character does if they're well below the recommended level (like -5 levels I think) will give them a full level of experience. You can just buy a bundle of healing pellets and have them eat one a turn.

You're gonna have to grind, but it's a really brief grind if it's just to bring one character up to speed, and it's honestly not that bad for bringing up a whole squad, either.

The easiest way to do it is to set the difficulty to Very Easy and do a couple mock battles, but I also did it in the first handful of story battles because they're the ones I'd already fought on my first playthrough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Epi Lepi posted:

That's nuts!

I'm halfway through my first NG+ is there a way to know if I've unlocked all of the character stories for each character? Or is there a record of them somewhere online yet? Do we even know the exact machinations to unlock them?

Pretty sure you just unlock them by completing a number battles, including training fights, while fielding that character. Haven't checked the actual numbers, but I think they vary by character. Some are also limited by plot progression; I had been using a bunch of lategame recruits on NG+ and all of them had side stories that fired at once, which I don't think was coincidence because both the side stories for one character triggered simultaneously.

Don't think there's any way to check which ones you've seen, but AFAICT, most characters have three events, while the chapter 15 recruits and the last two tiers of conviction recruits have two events each.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's no shame in dropping the difficulty for the first battle and ramping it back up when you've got your NG+ party on its feet, either.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I used a similar party and this is how I finally beat it: instead of rushing through the gates, I sent all my units on a long slow climb up the empty side of the hill next to the gate, eventually amassing behind the tower (near Svarog's starting point) and forcing most enemy units to cluster on the stairs. There's a single corner tile that leads around the tower, which can be held by shuffling tanky units like Maxwell and Flanagan, and the enemies that go around the other side are sparse enough to be managable. Eventually Gusty made it to the front of the stair shuffle and I could wedge Flanagan behind him. This let me lure him alone around the corner, making it a 1v8 fight. You only have to take out Gustadolph to win.

It still took a couple tries and a bit of luck to get right, but I think it's the safest strategy.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 21, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Epi Lepi posted:

It's also kind of a bummer that I won't see the Golden Route exclusive recruit's full side story without starting a new game.

You can if you do a bunch of tavern battles with them. Just be warned that they have the late recruit quality of only having two parts to their story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it feasible to recruit everyone the first way through? And does the game keep track of what you do or don't do?

I only went through the first choice at the moment, but I wonder if I should keep a document to allow myself to more easily follow different paths. Also, I totally didn't force my friends to do what I wanted, since I wanted to see what everyone's conversation was like lol. Probably not the idea, but still, I'm enjoying the rather toned down writing at the moment.

There's a tab in the journal labeled "war chronicle" or "paths traveled" or something that visually lays out all the chapters you've played through and divides them by plotline branches. This carries over into new game plus.

Also do not worry about recruitment. The game is literally designed to ensure that all player choices lead to the same amount of options and recruits down the line, and if you beat it and want to give another go, new game plus then lays the mechanics bare for you in case you want to get completionist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

Man I wish going to Wolfort in Chapter 15 wasn't a secret requirement because I did it on my first playthrough and now I miss out on a recruit because I have to do it again for my ng+ run :negative:

I still don't get why that is, like the others have a pretty clear impact in having Svarog/Jeralt/the flame traps to call on, but what does this add? I'd assumed it was because Milo plays a role, but I don't think she ever comes up on the fourth route. Is it solely because Symon says something about the secret power of the Scales that Benny doesn't bother passing on in his cliff notes if you go somewhere else?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, Roland straight up tells you to skedaddle so he can do something on his own, and you can talk to your dad tomorrow, but Trish and Travis are at the Roselle village right now and may cause trouble and leave before you get there if you dawdle. Like rationally you probably realize the options are about equivalent, and that your father may not be awake by tomorrow and that you'll miss out on recruiting Milo, but as it's framed, that path is a bit more urgent than the others.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also yes, my first playthrough I wound op going with whatever option Frederica supported and it never steered me wrong

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, you don't get to recruit Trish, but in retrospect that scans. Frederica says she'll be totally fine and can handle it on her own, and unlike Roland, she's not wrong.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

Out of curiosity, does Frederica ever have a Ultility choice? I noticed how while Roland and Benedict bounce a around a bit Frederica never even touches Utility. Girl has principles.

She does not, no. Red and green across the board. Even on the votes that branch off from other utility choices, she will never vote yellow on her own. I haven't kept track of every character, but Benny's choice on chapter 15 is the morality one, and Roland straight up suggests a couple freedom choices.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Harrow posted:

That one is the example I think of where the golden route isn't about doing "the right thing" every time, which is probably why it's so hard to find if you're trying to do it unspoiled. The golden route happens because Serenoa has managed to put Wolffort in a position where they have resources and allies they can call on, and sometimes the decisions that allowed that to happen--like smuggling salt--might not at first appear to be the ones that would do that. Your best hint on smuggling salt is that, if you go along with it, you can find out who's buying it in Aesfrost, but that's really all you have to go on.

I think it's kind of interesting and it's one reason I enjoy the golden route. It's not the "be the best, most moral Serenoa you can be" route. It's the "be the most prepared Serenoa you can be" route.

That's definitely part of it, but I'm of the school that the key element is that you have to be a Serenoa who can rally all the factions behind one cause. That means having a Wolffort at full capacity and able to stand up to any enemy for Benedict, having an ally in Aesfrost who is not Gustadolph for Roland, having the Roselle's back even against insurmountable odds for Frederica, and having the conviction to blaze your own path for Serenoa. Four decision points, one for each cardinal character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Medina and Julio are busted because they eventually learn skills that can totally wreck the battle economy by giving out just far too much TP.

I wouldn't give that tier list too much credit, but it has correctly identified those two as OP.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like there’s a tutorial that calls them Tactical Points somewhere. At least that’s what I’ve been calling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You've got at least one of the higher tier conviction characters!