Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey is this game good for someone who's only mildly into strategy games? I'm going out of town this weekend and it seems like a good thing to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good to know, I was never very good at FFT but I was willing to give it a shot and Fire Emblem was always just a little too easy so maybe this'll be perfect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cool, I grabbed it. Cheers, all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Enjoying the game a lot so far, just hit Chapter 7. Have some questions, though: am I expected to grind the mental mock battles for exp? I'm finding the recommended level is outpacing me a bit. Also, is there ever going to be a good way to get materials for upgrades/promotions?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, the Chapter 8 fight with Rufus if you decide to walk into Silvio's obvious trap suuuuuuuuucks, glad I finally got through that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Devil Survivor could be a bit tricky to wrap your head around at first, but once you got the hang of breaking the game wide open with absurd combinations of demons with broken racial skills that let you boost your movement or teleport or attack from two squares away so you don't get counterattacked, it became incredible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There is no permadeath.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I definitely chose Hyzante because I wasn't about to make Frederica go back to Aesfrost immediately

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't played in a bit but there's maps where Jens is loving godlike (especially the Wolfort Demesne if you decide not to burn the houses) but most of them were pretty early on from my experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wereboat posted:

My first attempt jens yeeted avlora into one of the triggers, which set it off and burned a half a dozen people to death

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a fight like 1/3 through the story that's basically intended to be more-or-less unwinnable your first time through without use of certain environmental hazards. I managed to squeak by without using those hazards by abusing the hell out of Jens' net and spring traps to play keep-away with the boss enemy in the pack until I could whittle their health down.