Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

what if we took FFT and removed the interesting art style and appealing character and world design. and made it really straight faces and grimdark.

did we play the same thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like scrolling around world maps, and i appreciate when devs break up wordy scenes into chunks so i can save and stop more easily when necessary

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Prowler posted:

I think it's important to mention that, in all of this, you are NEVER locked out of a path, regardless of conviction score. The only way you can screw yourself is by responding incorrectly, or flipping the (usually lone) undecided incorrectly. There's always a person you can convince, and you only ever need one.

that's not true. i suppose grinding mock battles could've done the trick eventually but on my first run i was apparently so wishy washy that i couldn't persuade anyone against giving up roland in chapter 7 no matter which combination of dialogue options i picked. and i tried every one!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Prowler posted:

Were you trying to convince everyone or something?

I think for that vote, your only undecided is Anna, yes? There is a combination of answers you can use with her and she will vote your way. Full stop. I never had an issue with that vote, both in the demo and in my first time through playing the game.

Edit: If you can't convince her, you can convince Roland. You tell him don't let Sir Maxwell's death be in vain, and that option that basically calls him worthless as a bargaining chip and he will go along with you. I watched two different streamers use this method and didn't run into any issues on their first try. Either you're extremely unlucky, or maybe you weren't paying attention as closely as you thought?

Did anyone else get "conviction" blocked on this early decision? Haven't seen any complaints.

i spoke to everyone in favor of the choice i didn't want (roland, benedict, geela) and the neutral party (anna), and reloaded my save quite a number of times to attempt every combination of options. i didn't have any trouble in the demo or on a second fresh run of the game, so yes i'm quite sure i just had a particular set of conviction values that locked me out of the moral choice at that time

Cattail Prophet posted:

Did you not go out into town? Some of the votes have exploration sections attached that can unlock dialogue options.

yes i'm aware, i literally made a list of every combination and ticked them off as i tried them to be totally sure

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i adore this game so i bought the artbook and it's got a ton of really cool concept art for early versions of many characters, though unfortunately not for everyone. i don't understand any of the notes and i haven't seen all the side stories so there might be some context i'm missing, also sorry about the cell phone quality pictures

alternative covers:

the thought of the cover just being, a triangle, is very funny

serenoa's mom:

do you ever actually see her in the game?

benedict:

frankly happy he lost the mustache

erador:

looks like he was originally gonna be a scrawnier swashbuckling swordsman type

frederica:

updo frederica is powerful

rudolph:

wolf buddy!! the little sketch of them as small is so cute

julio:

looks like he was related to landroi? i know nothing about julio i benched him immediately because i hate his eyebrows lol

hossabara:

scholar mode??

maxwell:

originally had some gnarly scars under his mask, and earlier masks weren't nearly as dashing

archibald:

hello it's me, a fire emblem early game bandit boss

ezana:

went through several different designs, i really dig the purple eye dress

lionel:

i have no idea who this lady is but anyone who bullies lionel is alright with me

trish and travis:

putting some punks in their place

decimal:

went through quite a few different designs, including a maid lol

quahaug:

bondage mode??

giovanna:

is this even the same person?

saints:

some early designs for sorsley and exharme maybe, and a lady who is perhaps an assistant to exharme or lyla? maaaybe lyla herself but i don't see the saintly sash

medina:

her final design more or less but i like the sinister smile

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 23, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's better than fft

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
at least one non-human recruit was something i was really hoping for and drat if decimal isn't the most perfect little guy i love him

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Late game character recruitment spoilers: lol it rules that Maxwell gets a once-per-battle auto-revive as a passive skill. I guess appearing to die but turning up alive is just a thing he does sometimes.

for fun, you can also give them the revival accessory, both of them if you go through the whole game with no deaths

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

So, question about the Chapter 17 choice:

Is Benedict's idea not supposed to sound like the best one? Outside of the Golden Route, since I presume this is where that would be a choice if I was on that path. I mean I don't know how things shake out, but it seems to me like defeating Hyzante would also allow us to liberate the Roselle, while Frederica's plan leaves Glenbrook completely at the mercy of both nations that want to conquer it.

Meanwhile Roland's plan is batshit insane.

imo benedict's plan would have unacceptable casualties given the arms race between aesfrost and hyzante, and the zeal with which he pushes for serenoa to take the throne honestly made me kind of uncomfortable

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I haven't made the choice yet but that part was the one part that gave me pause. I mean, I agree with him that Roland's a lovely king, but he's so thoroughly into the idea of Serenoa being king that it made me question his motives a bit.

As far as casualties, it feels like all of the plans have unacceptable casualties, which I suppose is where the Golden Route comes in. Roland's plan sacrifices the Rosellan people in perpetuity. Benedict's risks the most destructive war. Frederica's basically just leaves Glenbrook (including the Wolffort demesne) at both Aesfrost and Hyzante's mercy, and both have indicated they'll stop at nothing to get that salt mine.

tbh i ended up going with fred's plan on my first run because i respected her looking at the whole mess and being like, no gently caress this. if it sucks, hit da bricks!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lmao that's quite the image

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
narve is a freaking nerd

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tp is triangle points, this is now canon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
iirc votes have the largest singular effect on serenoa's conviction scores, but i like that it gets heavily affected by conversations with strangers too, he's considering his words and the impact they'll have on people. it all makes sense to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i definitely would've liked for more recruits to be plot based

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
archibald's niche is killing things, getting him into position is other people's problem

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
everyone is good, probably

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when in doubt always get the new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what if i told you, triangle strategy is better than tactics ogre