Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I did my first playthrough blind and ended up doubling up a bit as a result. Didn't want to do 5 playthroughs to get everyone so settled for just doing 3. Skipped Trish+Travis and Roland's Route but I think I got enough out of it doing everything else. Very good game. Definitely up there with TO and FFT.

Though in hindsight, I don't regret picking the golden route option in that chapter the first time since at least you get a very good unit for doing so. Having Milo available for most of my playthroughs was great. She's just generally very strong and if a map plays to her strengths she can trivialize a lot. Like that mine battle with the explosives for one.

Still, it would have been nice if the "story" recruits were a bit more spread out through the game. Maybe a couple of the conviction recruits could have been made into path specific ones in the mid-game or something. But that's a minor nitpick.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean Medina can't restore 2TP to everyone at the start, or let Ezana have 100% Acc on her Ult, or trap the enemies in a timeloop that lets you kill one and then loop to kill another and then loop to kill another and then

The best part is he's still busted even if you don't go for the explicit gamebreaking stuff. You can put archers like archi and rudolph in nice high ground spots or move Erador into the middle of a bunch of units. He can also swap places with a squishy boss and put someone like an enemy Trish in the middle of all your melee. Even his one damage spell does percent max health as damage so you can just time stop and just chunk a boss with three bombs in a row. Then there's all the uses for his reverse time spell as a heal and using it to extend good status effects like invincibility or remove strong debuffs like stop, etc.

It's kinda hilarious how the one enemy time mage in this game has a very basic spell kit, but the one that actually joins you has all these weird and out there spells that are so game warping.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Sounds like you have found a neat route so far. And yeah, I love how most of the characters around you are really flawed and will try to push you to some really questionable choices a lot of the time. It makes the vote mechanic pretty fun. Because lets be honest, Benedict and Roland are both trashfires in their respective ways and the game is better for it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Right now there's only a couple of meaningful choices for upgrades. Stuff like the pick one out of two ability upgrades are probably the only ones that significantly change how some characters play. Unfortunately there's only 1 or 2 of those sort of choices per character and on top of that usually one option is much better than the other. (Frederica has a lot more synergy with the chain upgrade than her aoe upgrade based on how her TP generation works as mentioned above is one example). But at least it's something other than just +stat.

I think the game is complete and good as it is. But I definitely wouldn't mind if they added a couple more of those pick one out of two skills to upgrade choices. That could go a long way for "specializing" characters without them losing their individual flavor. If you think it would mess up the flow of the game, maybe it could be something you could earn in 3rd+ playthroughs when you are running out of ways to build up your characters. Since the game does take 4-5 playthroughs to see everything (depending on how efficient/lucky your choices are).

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 13, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I think this was a big choice in chapter 15:
Chose to help the Roselle because uh, it's your kingdom Roland. You fix it.
Dad, pick up the quill and send me a letter.
Yeah I'm going to help the border town with the population of former slaves who also happen to live in my demanse. Why are the other two opens even there?

It's absolutely a major choice but don't worry too much about it. Just go with your instincts.
As far as justifying the other choices You can argue that Frederica is perfectly capable of fending off some bandits by herself. And that your Father getting better and being able to talk to you and give you good advice after you've already been through so much is a huge deal. Serenoa might have some very strong personal reasons for wanting to see him considering for all he knew he'd never get to talk to him again. And if you assume that Fredrica and Roland will be fine with their tasks then there's no reason not to go see him.

In the case of Roland, it's not hard to see that he would probably benefit by having a single friend around that he can count on. You know while he's surrounded by a bunch of backstabbing nobles that likely want him dead. Also you've seen this man make decisions, is it really safe to leave him alone to his own devices?

They lay out good justification for going with any of the three imo.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

I think it really depends on your mindset. I figured the game was heavily telegraphing something that would happen based on your choice, and my choice became more meta-gamey than an actual story decision. So I predicted the outcome for the village and for going home to see dad, but had no idea what would happen if you remained to help Roland.

I was happy with my choice to return home to dad, but til this day haven't seen Roland's path.

Roland's Path: Like the other paths, the events don't change. You just get additional context by witnessing the events as they happen. In this case you get to witness Roland failing at being King despite him trying his hardest to do the right thing. His attempts to stop the nobles end with the common people turning on him and condemning him as a tyrant. So you get to see the emotional baggage that leads to the colossally stupid decision that he makes two chapters later.

The recruit is very good though. Cordelia is a great healer and your only source of the regen status. Her ultimate is more or less as good as Geela's, she massively buffs someone's max HP temporarily. Though imo Milo is still the best out of all the chapter 15 recruits, so you chose well.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 14, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

Related spoilers:
I played through the game 3 times (four endings, 3 playthroughs) and chose Milo the first time because she was an unbelievable boon thanks to her movement and magic-based attack. I didn't need another archer, and I had no idea what was behind door number 3, nor that there was technically a door number 4. I hear Cordelia's the only one who has the ability to increase evasion, which would have earned her a spot on my team over Geela if I brought any of the high evasion units. It's a shame how they structured Chapter 15.

Yeah that's very similiar to what happened to me I also did 3 playthroughs and chose Milo -> Cordelia -> Milo since I wanted to do true ending and be done with the game for the third play through. I guess it makes the chapter 15 recruits more special since its really difficult to get them all. But it does feel really awkward since if you get Milo early you have to do 5 playthroughs to have all characters in true route.

Doing an entire playthrough just to get someone like Travis doesn't seem like much fun. But the game is long enough as it is so I'm glad there's not enough content to seriously support 4-5 playthroughs. 3 feels like a pretty good number to me.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 15, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, one thing I do like about this game is all of the characters are pretty usable and have their pros and cons. And there's always at least a few situations/maps where a particular unit is going to be very effective. With a cast of 30 characters that all have unique kits that's pretty neat.

Even Gio who people love to hate is pretty good when you pair her with Corentin on a flat map and just ice everything up.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah out of the three terrible plans Frederica's is the best by far imo. Though you have to see all the other routes to really appreciate it since you don't get all the context for everything going on except in golden route

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I'll always bat for Benedict's route over Frederica's because I believe in Serenoa and Frederica: Power Couple.

(And also that eventually old man Benedict passes)

Ending spoilers Nah, I'd argue that they are hosed as soon as Benedict dies. Serenoa is a shell of his former self in that ending and is entirely dependent on Benedict to make every decision for him. Even Frederica isn't able to get better treatment for the Roselle suffering in poverty and seems depressed and lacking fight compared to how she was before in what little interactions we see.

So once Benedict is out of the picture, there's nothing keeping Folk Hero Roland, champion of the people from just waltzing in with his revolution. And then we are essentially at the same place we were at with Roland's ending. Except this time anyone who could start a resistance like Frederica will probably have been killed. And after so many years of building resentment from Benedict's policies, the people will have a lot of reasons to embrace Idore's teachings full heartedly. So in that case I'd argue it's the worst ending of the three.

True ending makes it pretty clear that Norzelia has no hope for true peace so long as someone like Idore is around. So the only possibly good endings are the ones where he's dead and not an immortal godking.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Capitalism cannot be derailed by the death of one man.

Nicholas II

Though I don't think capitalism would be a dealbreaker for Idore. He just wants control and he certainly could have a little capitalism with his theocractic dictatorship as a treat. He likely would have had to change the doctrines up a bit with the whole salt mine thing, anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 17, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Stop is such bullshit lmao.
So is the op getting like four rogues to my one

That fight you are in is probably one of the most difficult in the game. Even the fights that are supposed to be stacked against you or some of the other final fights aren't as bad as that one. Something about the closed quarters and being surrounded by very powerful units like the mentioned rogues. It doesn't give you much room for errors in positioning. Then you have the leader unit and all the stuff she does on top of that.

At least though, there's one character in the game who can remove stop status. But you might not see them until new game+ since they require a very high conviction score to recruit. (I think its utility?). So eventually you'll be able to deal with stuff like that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm going to grind up some kudos for the revive because the only qp skills I have are In Tandom and Battle Cry.

Also Stop beats Invincible, and any cure all. It's op bullshit.

The teleport one (Lightwave I think?) and restore are also pretty good, though restore doesn't remove stop it's still a full heal. But you can use those with Anna to kinda kite the boss and some of the casters using her stealth. So she can take a few of those nasty debuffs and live with the QP skills. Will only delay the boss so long but it can be enough to get you through it. That's what helped me anyways.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Prowler posted:

Picoletta would have been so much better if A) her copied move could be used on the same turn B) the copy ability didn't have a high chance to fail C) there were more abilities than just Stop that are worth using after 2-3 turns of setup (depending on your TP count). She's has some of the most interesting abilities in the game but they're all, IMO, really mediocre despite what folks here suggest.

Picoletta has a lot of value. I agree the copy skill is mostly a gimmick but the rest of her kit is solid. She can spam elemental stones for very good damage without needing a TP battery unlike your other mages. She's also pretty beefy and can take hits. Her mobility is above average with decent move/jump as well. And her decoy utterly messes with enemy AI. Enemies prioritize weaker targets, and so they'll always stop what they are doing to chase a decoy if able.

So she's essentially a mage, but with none of the typical mage weaknesses. She might do a bit less damage than Frederica but it's close enough. Her only weakness is keeping her stocked with elemental stones is expensive, so that might be a reason to save her for a 2nd or 3rd playthrough. But as a character she's solid.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 18, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Game is good and fun but a bit silly. I'll see what carries over in ng+ before I try to get everything or just look up an ending guide

You should at least do two playthroughs. The game is designed for it and almost everything carries through in NG+ as a result.

Not only that, the second time around the game introduces a bunch of quality of life improvements to make it easier for you to recruit people and force votes your way. Like it'll tell you what conviction stat each dialog choice is, and tell you what stats you need to recruit x character, etc.

There's one more reason to do it too, (vague spoilers related to the endings) There's a secret true ending if you make all the right choices up to that big chapter 17 choice. So you can use your second playthrough to scout things out to try to figure out what they are. If you for sure would only do one more playthrough though, then maybe go look up the choices. But replaying at least once more for that ending is worth it. It's a fantastic capstone for the game as a whole.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 22, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Golden route is clearly meant to be your fourth playthrough because you have to split all of your characters up into three groups and if you don’t have all 30 some of your teams will be short. Maybe that isn’t a huge deal on Normal, but on Hard (and why wouldn’t you play on hard at that point?) you really need all of them.

In two playthroughs you can get 28 characters though which is plenty enough. And people have accidentally triggered and completed golden route on their first playthrough while playing blind.

The fights in question aren't that bad. The hardest one probably being Roland's but if you take Jens/Rudolph and a few others you can really lock that map up and make it pretty easy even with less characters. Lionel existing is a free win on a map too if you have enough money to fund his overpowered weapon skill a couple of times.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 22, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

What does this mean? Like recruit for voting or to join the team? I assume there's some portrait people who didn't join that I could have convinced if I made some different choices somewhere.

The game will be more transparent about this on the second playthrough but most recruits in the game are based on your conviction stat which you gain by talking to npcs and taking one of the three offered choices. There's a few other sources of conviction but that's the big one.

Each recruit has a certain stat you need to have before they show up in your encampment and join you. Stuff like 1000 Morality 300 utility, etc. Once you get far enough in the game for them to show up on your new game plus playthrough, Archibald can give you a list of all the remaining recruits and the stats you need to make them show up. Almost all of these are non-story characters. Though you can recruit a few people you already know by picking certain paths at certain points in the game. Those aren't counted in the list.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 22, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Yinlock posted:

Important to note that while it's possible doing the golden route on a first run is not a good idea, you have to cheese at least one of the missions with very few characters in order to have enough manpower for the other two. You also won't have enough promotions to go around while on a 2nd run you'll have enough for everyone except like 1-2 people.

Oh yeah I wouldn't recommend it, I just know people have done it (by accident) so it's possible to do. Though a 2nd or 3rd playthrough golden route is pretty comfortable so long as you've kept up leveling your party.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
That's really cool, but it doesn't seem like its out on steam just yet.

edit: checking the community forums, some folks found that a patch is in the works. https://steamdb.info/app/1850510/history/

So looks like we'll be getting it soon.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 13, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

So looks like we'll be getting it soon.

And by soon apparently that meant 30 minutes from that post cause it's already out now. Nice.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I stuck with the main cast for the first playthrough and focused on their upgrades because I liked them as characters. Then on NG+ I experimented with some different comps and teams and that was a good experience for me.

The game is a bit stingy with resources so you wont be able to upgrade everyone but as others said you don't need to in order to get through the game. So just try out stuff and upgrade who you end up liking. And don't be afraid to try the more unconventional units since some of them are really fun.

Nice thing about this game is almost every unit can be very useful in the right situation and there are no bad units. Juggler lady for example is pretty strong (she's effectively a mage with tank-like HP) but her one negative is she needs a lot of attack items to do damage and those can be very costly.

When you do NG+ the game will relax a bit and give you more resources to work with so eventually if you keep playing you'll be able to outfit everyone.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You can win that fight without anything fancy, you have one squad pick off side units while the rest kinda just herd the others into a nice line and you just slowly pick them off. The boss unit is tough but has no range. And Erador can easily tank 2-3 units and cause a blockade of your guys and theirs. That ultimately prevents the boss from reaching you until you are ready for them.

And Jens also has another trick for that fight Just ladder up to the roof of some of the buildings with your casters and archers then remove the ladder. From there they can pick off all their soldiers and the boss without giving them means to fight back. Anna can sneak around and take care of the couple of archers they have along with hughette. If you have been using Rudolph or Corentin, they both have access to good tools to prevent enemy movement if you learned them as well.

Piccoletta's clones are useful too since the boss unit will prioritize them. But I think she learns that move too late to use it here unless NG+.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 6, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Also just to specify, you don't have to worry too much about doing certain things in battle to raise your conviction stats a certain way. It's not like other tactics rpgs (i.e. Ogre Battle) were letting your chaos frame go low by doing certain things in battle can lock you into a bad ending or whatever. It's just a stat that measures how persuasive you are in convincing people towards certain ideologies, it doesn't control what ending you get by itself.

Though obviously it helps to have convictions that match what you want to do since it'll be easier to get people to vote the way you want them too. But as mentioned, the dialog options in exploration phases do more to raise conviction than other things so you can just focus on those.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I think a good argument for not restarting is that it takes 4 playthroughs to absolutely do everything as you mentioned (though I think 2-3 is fine if you are good with missing a handful of recruits). You'll get more resources as you do more new game pluses and so you'll eventually be able to recruit and max out everyone. Especially if you're already at chapter 13. Having all the mages is fine. I had a similiar comp for my first playthrough and it did just fine.

Mages are very strong in this game. Frederica is amazing at taking out single targets, Frost guy is good at controlling maps, Narve has lightning which is one of the best elements. Ditto shaman lady. Also for that matter the regular cast is also very powerful. You already get the best tank, one of the best archers, and some excellent physical damage dealers right out of the gate. Serenoa is kinda mediocre and Roland is squishy but other than that. Also Jens is broken as hell if you take the time to figure out his kit. So you got options.

The item throwers are among the most powerful units in the game too but are limited by your resources. Don't worry about them until later playthroughs. Medina can absolutely break the game once you get her set up but that's more a second playthrough thing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I guess won't start over if the early conviction recruits are the same regardless, I just have a thing about not liking returning to an old save file like this cause it doesn't even feel like mine anymore.

I'm also well aware of how good Fred and the ice guy are, I specifically went to Hyzante to recruit him after how good he was in the first demo. And I also get how good mages in general, but it's just a pain in the rear end defending them when my army is so squishy as it is. I do also remember how busted Jens is, it's great.

Right now I'm struggling with the bridge map where you fight Frederica's horrible siblings, I went with her plan to retake the castle. My initial plan was to scurry down the ladders on the sides and funnel the enemies to my guys one at a time but movement is so low in this game half my army keeps biting it before they can make it there.

That map is one of the hardest in the game so yeah I understand the frustration. Thinking about it, I'd say the hardest maps in general are a few of the ones associated with Fred's choices.

Though you have a secret weapon in Jens at least. Cause you know it would be a shame if one or both of the twins happened to be knocked off the bridge. Especially if they also cant use the ladder to get back up because one of your units is standing on it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

the juggling child has immediately become my most valuable soldier

Yup, she's low-key broken. So is the other "orphan" you conscript into service later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

Is it because of the free meat shield she makes, or is it later things?

The fact that the enemy always prioritizes those with how the AI works is a huge plus yes. But it's also that she has more HP than your other mages with much higher evasion and also has decent speed + very good movement/jump. Once you get the highest tier thrown elemental stones she does comparable damage to your other mages as well in-between spamming decoys.She also has the flexibility of having access to multiple types like Narve. Her individual hits still hit for less than Fred's spells but it doesn't cost her tp to throw items and she can just spam. She doesn't need set up, or to be fed tp or be far behind your frontline to do her job safely. That's what gives her an edge.

There's also some shennigans you can do with her ultimate copy ability on top of that but that's secondary to everything else.

She does have a downside of her attacks costing money but other than that she is a very powerful unit.

Though it should be said, almost every single unit in this game has some use and can be very powerful in the right circumstances. Like it's really impressive how distinctive and useful most units are in this game. Even weird ones that seem useless will tend to have one weird trick that can break the game if you abuse it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2024