Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just really want an option to turn off the visual filters, the back and forth rotation in cutscenes, and a speed up toggle instead of a hold down button.

I usually find the tempo of FFT/Orge Tactics a bit too slow personally, but I felt here it was a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i won't play the demo until i beat the other srpg i am currently in the middle in, someone please tell me if they still have that thing where the screen rotates back and forth 30 degrees in cutscenes because it was my least favorite part of the previous demo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
whichever path lets you recruit the most women is the good path. i will use grrrl power to crush my enemies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Khanstant posted:

Why, seems like way higher praise than is deserved from what I read so far.

i think that says more about you than anything, lol
i personally hope, and believe, this game isn't going to be anywhere near as gross as game of thrones

Levantine posted:

There is a voice volume setting you can set to 0. Frankly I think it makes the game a lot better combined with setting text speed to Fast. There are some decent voice actors but the direction sounds like maybe they got the guy from FFXIII or something. It's not great.

maybe in the full release you can switch to the japanese dub

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Khanstant posted:

If someone said weeb game of thrones I would think tediously War of Rosesey medieval political character-focused fantasy but with all the things that are insufferable/deeply-cherished about anime'd games. From your reaction I'm guessing you take it to mean "weeb gross incest and sex crimes of thrones." That's gross in GoT and anime and everywhere lol

???
weirdly patronizing but no i just think the show is bad for being gross and hacky. so i don't take it to mean whatever you are saying, i just think the show is not good and it would not be high praise to be compared to it lol

Caidin posted:

Talk to cat? Conviction up!

tbf that is how it works irl too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tae posted:

I switched to JP in the demo, that's how I found out Mask Man is DIO.

oh i just assume it wasn't in because i am an idiot, lol. cool, good to know!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean when games do that type of stuff i don't think you are suppose to think of it as "loot" in the traditional sense but as something with a bit of a challenge
it is often done poorly though

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 11, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Alt J Stratgey

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
finally went through the new demo, does a much better job on selling the experience. happy they made the cutscene rotation an option and it is automatically off now lol.

going to switch to japanese voices for the main game, went through the whole demo in english to give it a fair shake. dragan is the only voice ill miss lmao.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 27, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think most are fine but the lead and cordelia are really subpar compared to the rest.

imo, shoulda got more people hamming it up like dragan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DC Murderverse posted:

Every review that says “there’s a little too much talking” powers my desire to play this more. Just give me 5 entire visual novels in between 6 battles please and thank you.

lmao yeah, i really liked the pacing of the demo and then I kept reading people elsewhere say that they hope only the start was like that.

you can't do political intrigue without a good amount of talking.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
(post ch4) ofc, we already knew dragan dies from the first demo but still, pretty impressive how many death flags he managed to put up before he went down. rip

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh cool, the blacksmith in the encampment is a recruit. apparently he can just straight up add new ladders to the map, that sounds like a major game changer on certain maps.

DalaranJ posted:

Thinking about it, one thing that is weird about the narrative in the game is that it has a political suspense based story, but because of the conviction system everything Serenoa says is always exactly what he believes. He can’t say things just to please people or trick them. And mostly neither can anyone else, because it would make it much harder for you to interpret how to win them over.

Some of the utility dialogue is manipulation. Like the father daughter one from the first chapter.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 4, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hard not to use rudolph on every map since straight shot just chews up enemies

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm glad the recruits get extra little stories, I was worried going in the optional units were just going to have their introduction cut scene and that's it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh lmao, I just got a tie on the scales

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Natural 20 posted:

Anna is beyond broken, that's all there is. She's the best unit by miles at the moment.

Anyway, my habit right now is rotating through all my characters and playing the ones that need XP, but the story missions seem to be indicating that I'm underleveled. Am I screwing myself over?

you are underleved for the v first mission. i take the recommended level more as an indicator when you are overleved than anything

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gustadolph just wants to share free market capitalism and make friends.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
post chapter 8 remember people thinking maxwell would end up still alive after the first demo. seems instead its roland becoming a char clone...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the most important part of the japanese dub is avlora sounds more attractive. she is brave and strong.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh, I mostly been grabbing the consumables and the occasional accessory because the two item based units are really strong.

i only buy mats when im low on something. It seems you amass a decent amount naturally. but I haven't really been going crazy on the weapon upgrades, only buying 2 skills per rank.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good news, the flowcharts are in the game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK yeah, this goes places. Chapter 10, rat out solsey path. I am currently in a battle where you are doing trial by combat in front of the saintly seven ontop of a tall platform surrounded by damage spikes.
Game good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh huh, for some of the flashback character stories they actually made young versions of the portrait art

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

willing to settle posted:

This is a liberty choice, actually.

Oh, huh. Benedict liked it so I assume it was utility lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The village defense in chapter 11 is a tough one, besides one other combat I haven't had a full party wipe so far but this one got me twice. All finished up now tho.

MonsterEnvy posted:

For the Scales it will show the choices in a Color. Red is Liberty, Green is Morality, and Yellow is Utility.

yeah, but this was a dialogue choice

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 6, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

It's a process that Asano says can take upwards of two months. “We ask a lot of people for their opinions,” he says. ”For example, we even ask native English speakers about the new titles, and they usually tell us: ‘It’s obvious that a Japanese person named this game.

lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it might be the contrainian within me but I like the name

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
everytime a spring trap sends an enemy unit flying off a cliff I can't help but laugh. plop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love that finding a (chapter 12, protection route) giant pink rock is an earth shattering development in this game.

e: oh, the enchanting dancer finally gets a name, lol

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 6, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arrrthritis posted:

I can't say I like the chapter 13 voting section, not one bit. No matter what I do to try to persuade people they always vote on party lines.

Just got to this, managed to flip one which cause my second tie during the game lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah you just throw in a deciding vote. I like to imagine serona just puts his hand down to tip the scales lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zerilan posted:

How's the story writing in this game? Kinda on the fence about it and waiting to hear thoughts from people far in/near the end, since Octopath gave me a real strong first impression but I fell off on it midway.

story feels very political intrigue 101 but it has its charms and some fun developments. i enjoy it on that front, and it seems to be improving in the late game.

the real weakness is the characters are overall lacking and could use more personality. its a bit disappointing but i wouldn't say it's an active detriment.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the saintly seven lady and the enchanting dancer should kiss

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsterEnvy posted:

But the former hates the later.

have you ever heard of a little thing called "enemies to girlfriends"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a lot of the political moves get heavily telegraphed, but that is intentional in those cases so i don't think they're expecting us to be surprised. though personally I think I would enjoy it more if it was a bit subtler.

but i agree there still are some unexpected developments and I don't fully know where this is going

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there are straight up new abilities further down too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Levantine posted:

I'm having to train myself to use the Quietus tbh. Some of them are really good and as far as I can tell they are also the only way to revive downed units once you get the ones that do.

I have serona running around with an accessory that provides a full hp revive. It's kinda nuts, so I play way riskier with him now.

Rudolph is really good. I wasn't expecting to use him or circus kid as much as I do, they both have great toolkits.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 7, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chapter 14, bridge path
Welp, roland you actually became the gently caress up you worried you were lmao

e: oh yo (late game recruit I got at chapter 15) da freakin dawnspear is back

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arrrthritis posted:

lol yeah, Honestly I feel like a lot of that tension would be resolved by him revealing himself to be roland when the battle was won but lmao nope. He had to go and stab his sister.

The actual music & first fight was rad as gently caress, tho. It was great owning the two failchildren with frederica

and yet still somehow not the worst sibling in the game still despite threatening to kill his sister's crush and stabbing her

I love characterization you get when you kill em. thalas is upset if you kill erika first, erika gives no shits if you kill thalas first lmao.