Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From my playthrough of the demo:
- I think the mages need more speed outright. They don't hit hard enough for how slow they are and they need to use 2 TP to get their real spells off to boot.
- I think the enemies are maybe too tanky, I think I'd prefer larger numbers of enemies who are a bit more squishy.
- I want to be able to turn the bloom and depth of field off, JP voice acting, battle speed options, the portraits should be on for dialogue boxes, not hidden behind the + button. The load times suck but I chalk that down to being early dev and being a switch game that isn't fully patched up BOTW. Octopus Tales came to PC so I imagine this will.
- I want a job system, these games gotta have em, but if it does have one, I want it to be significantly better than Octopi Tingler's.
- The EXP for using an action very clearly favours faster classes, so Anna is the clear MVP with her act again trait because she's not weak to boot. It's not going to be possible to keep casters up to speed with levels on that exp system.
- They should lift the timeline menu from Tactics Ogre to help visualise the ramifications of your choices.
- I think some of the controls are clunky at the minute, though you do settle into them.

Those all sound negative, so:
- I like the difficulty level despite feeling enemies are maybe a touch tanky.
- I liked being able to exploit the A.I. to punch Arlova into the oil traps to finish her off outright. These games are at their best when they reward your thinking.
- I like that heavily armoured enemies are actually hard to kill with melee.

Really looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.
Jones'ing for a TO: LUCT playthrough now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I only ever played FFTA, which was fine. I didn't quite care for the fantasy world, but it was fine. Is there any easy way to do FFT or even Tactics Ogre?

FFT is on mobile devices nowadays.
Tactics Ogre is locked to PSP.

I'd probably advise FFT: WOTL on PSP emulator with the slowdown patched out, and it's really the only option for Tactics Ogre. PPSSPP is a really good emulator to boot and runs well on Windows and Android (no idea about apple os).
Of course, those games are not necessarily easily commerically available but you can use your imagination for sources.

Both games would be no brainers for a Switch port to me.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 22, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm replaying TO:LUCT now and while the overall battles are as long/sometimes longer than this demo, the in battle tempo of TO fights is definitely higher than this game. TO feels just right and this feels a bit slow.

Part of the reason TO fights overall take as long are the higher enemy counts as opposed to individual fights being same length.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i know what strategy means

but what the gently caress is a triangle