Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd also like a better understanding on attacks that do AOE, though color wasn't my issue. Does a cross-shaped spell hit all 4 sides, or does height break it up? Can your spells damage your own people (No but I wasn't sure if that was the case). The horseman can attack people from two steps away, but if you attack through a person to the one behind them do you hit both (I don't think you do, BUT you will break an Ice wall doing this). Stuff like that could use some clarification. Also if an attack moves you, like "rush" do you return to your starting position or not? Hawk Dive (a leaping attack) does return you effectively giving that character a ranged attack, but "Rush" doesn't, I think.

Only attacks that use TP will use it. Otherwise you gain 1 TP at the start of every turn, there's way to game that though. Your Ice Mage will gain an extra one if he's standing on ice for example. What that means is for example you can use your healer to heal every turn, but she won't gain enough to do the AOE heal unless you skip healing for a couple of turns.

I'm also going to re-hash a bit of what I said in the Switch thread:

After playing the demo my first thought was are that there's waaaaay too much interstitial plot between battles. Now, I figure that there are sidequest fights that'll pop up to keep you busy and the extra long loading times between the world map and the seen was a bit much. All that needs to be streamlined with a simple "Elsewhere" or "Meanwhile". If the scenes feature 0 options and are just extra dialog, like the whatever they were called in FFIX, either play them straight or give the player button prompt to explore them, but having to go through the map each time is long.

Now, I liked the writing and between this and Octopath it's clear the team's got a writer who wants to just explore characters in a fantasy setting, and more power to them. Octopath was really good at the commonality of life in a place like that. Alfyn and Tressa, in particular have rather basic plots and it's refreshing.

The voice-acting is very bad... if I can put it in Japanese I will or I'm just turning it off. It also needs a quick-reset, something I've always liked in FE. In the event you gently caress up you can at least quickly restart your fight if you need too. Having to suspend the battle and reload takes time, unless I missed a load option in the menu.

No music came out as super memorable yet, but they better have a music player this time around. The "Profile' button that shows the character portrait is also kind of strange since it stops all dialog. Why not go the FE route and just have text boxes with a face at the bottom of the screen? A full-body portrait seems like the worst option here.

Skills seem attached to class, which seem very varied. Even if you ostensibly get a fire, ice, and lightning mage, all of them have different powers and implications. I'd presume some level of promotion but nothing extreme I hope. I'd prefer it remaining a bit grounded

Overall, I really liked the game. It's a very good tactics game, it has character, and I like the realistic feudal drama. Favorite character was the Spy/Anna, I got some very good mileage out of her. The battle system is simple but neat. The TP system provides nice hands-on resource management. If you want more mileage out of your mages, you can probably pair them with Julio whose gimmick is pissing TP for everyone else to use.

Also: the whole voting mechanic is neat. You can effectively game it, but just convincing people the way you want a vote to go and ignoring those that are already in your camp, but you get good dialog if you interact with everyone anyway. That sort of choice feels nice, and I'm going to replay it to see what happens if I do give up the Prince.

I loved this actually. I get decision paralysis rather easily when I'm forced to choose too many things, something that's turned me off of modern FE, and something I also dislike since it's easier to find/discover broken classes/combos, which is harder thing to balance. Things that are broken can be fun, but sometimes it trivializes a game so much it's pointless, and you feel like a dope for ignoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

No real effort post from me. I just played Tactics Ogre for the first time last year and I'm thinking of grabbing Final Fantasy Tactics to finally give that a try so I'm really looking forward to this coming out. I can't wait to get a second demo which seems to be how Square does these things now. Since Octopath came out I've been wanting more games in this style and I'm glad they're moving away from the Saga base of Octopath. This needs to be on the same level as Tactics Ogre/FFT to be good and the demo lesves me with high hopes.

The fact they said that it's the next installment in the HD 2D series of games is so cool, it implies there'll be more.

What did they call the extra cut-scenes you could get in FFIX. You know they would just pop up while running around and you just had to hit a button if you wanted to watch it or not? That's how this should work. I really don't understand why it took you out to the world-map between each dialogue. You should be able to skip scenes completely too by just pressing start or something.

The battles were good, but it was shocking how much dialogue there was to wade through otherwise.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Talking about the camera, it was neat how zooming out completely made it a very FE like grid fight. I hope you don't get too many choices when it comes to classes, I get choice paralysis very quickly.

Quietus was definitely one of the names that stood out as peculiar to me.

A good name was Hughette, because that's a new one.

AI was fine, but it was kinda funny how they wouldn't break Ice walls, like in the stairs chokepoint. It was very strange.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah Max is definitely not dead.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was annoyed how the boss in the second fight didn't move unless I approached them.

I realize that's how the genre works sometimes but I still found it dumb in the context of the story. She is invading ME not the other way around.

Take it as "I'm too good to be bothered with this bullshit" *two hours later* "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress".

Scrap Dragon posted:

I wound up giving away the prince too and honestly I kind of regret it both because he’s one of the better units and also because the map you get where you do is hard as balls.

Also, there’s apparently three recruitable characters in the demo of which you can only recruit two depending on the smaller choices you make. I didn’t get the character that apparently acts like a TP battery, I got the lightning mage and the girl who throws items like a FFT Chemist

Oooh. I wanna get that item girl. The first TP battery is Julius who I haven't tried yet. I may break him out and switch him with Benedict, the buffer-unit but "Now!" is too valuable in that Ice Wall Map where you need that chokepoint, unless you want to get swarmed.

I also need to try the Lightning mage.

I like the hidden dialogue choices it's nice and really feels like the game adapts to your personality.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Saltiron Saga (name pending) isn't grimdark, it's just very dry.

There's no fantasy non-human characters, that we know of, and the drama is pretty standard feudal disputes. And frankly I like that. I don't doubt there'll be an ancient dragon/demon eventually but as it stands this is nice.

I like that the winged mounted units use birds. I also can't get over the name Hughette. Maybe it's a real name but it just seems absurd to me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know people love job systems and customization, but I really hope it plays it rather straight with just simple classes with maybe a promotion of sorts. I know I have issues with choice paralysis, but aside from that, tactics games need to be balanced and the more customization you have, the harder it is to get that balance right since you now have too many parameters.

It's definitely my least favorite thing from modern FE aside from the often cliché-riddled writing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How do you chemist girl? I keep getting the other two?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I only ever played FFTA, which was fine. I didn't quite care for the fantasy world, but it was fine. Is there any easy way to do FFT or even Tactics Ogre?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Medina is just Tressa from Octopath huh?

The other two recruits are arguably more useful...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Never mind she’s great. A very useful healer in a pinch if you have cash for items.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

Just got the survey in my email. I gave it a 3/5 stars and my biggest complaints were how long the battles were.

I get the complaint, but I think it's a feature not a bug, of the genre. During the "mop-up" phase of the game, where you know you've won, you just want to rush through the thing, but mistakes like that can be costly, especially with permadeath. Since that doesn't seem to be an issue here, it feels more pointless to have to be more cautious towards the end.

I'm still waiting on my survey.

I think the colors for safe/danger can definitely be reworked, eventually I was just using the red danger lines anyway. Same goes for attacking though. It was hard to distinguish which red squares I could target on the Landroi map with the fire raging in the fields.

Something I discovered, even if it seems obvious in retrospect, is you can't attack at range if a heigh wall blocks you. In the Landroi map, I wanted to toss a Ice item at an enemy with the Alchemist, and the enemy was shown to be in range but I couldn't attack them since the alchemist couldn't throw over the ledge I guess?

Things like that (I mentioned earlier AOE on different height, self-attacking etc) will need to be better explained eventually.

My biggest issue remains the pacing of the story versus the battles. I don't doubt there'll be "random encounters" of sorts and the encampment's barkeep is obviously going to play a part of that, but being taken out multiple times to the world map to only select another cutscene is incredibly tiresome. If they don't want to just chain cutscenes via "Elsewhere/Meanwhile..." then they should give you an Active Time Event menu like in FFIX, that you can just choose quickly from.

The voice-acting is awful too. They should also add portraits to dialogue boxes, and instead of using bubbles.

Last, I hope they give us some little bonuses that were sorely missing from Octopath namely a Music Player. I would've liked Octopath to also have a Beastiary that could tell you enemy weaknesses and their effects when used by Ha'anit. This one could have a Gallery, where the full portraits of the characters are displayed with a small paragraph or something.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ace Transmuter posted:

Can he boost damage? I could barely dent most enemies on map 2 without Benedict's damage boost; but I never recruited Julio

No, they're rather different except for one skill. Benedict is a straight buffer, offense and defense, which is really useful, esp. since you can do defense every turn and it does save you quite a bit. Also Now! is can be a game-changer if you need it, it's the move that lets him get someone to move immediately after him.

Julio on the other hand is all about giving TP to your units so you can keep your mages running full time or whatever. He does have a str. boost like Benedict but it's not ranged so it's harder to use safely. Arguably better, but Benedict's defense is all-around useful as well.

Honestly, no unit feels without purpose, except maybe the Fire Mage since, but that's just because she's slow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Medina is super similar to Octopath's Tressa. It'll be cool to see other cameos as well.

What other units/classes do you all hope to see? I think it's nice we have elemental mages, and with rather interesting skills aside from straight elemental damage, but I'm hoping to see a time mage of some sort. It's one of my favorite schools of magic in FF. A more traditional thief class would be nice too, since that's not quite Anna's deal.

I've yet to get my survey.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got my survey! Happy I can be party to this.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I haven’t gotten my survey yet, but someone tell them to put in the ability to mark enemy ranges

Attack or movement?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

The attack range would wind up covering both of these. Thanks if you’re actually gonna put it in there.

I did. I focused most of my complaints on the annoying to access cut-scenes alongside unclear battle actions, like what you said, color options, and stuff like ranged moving attacks and AOE of magic. I didn't get the room to ask for a music box though... Still I thought I was pretty thorough and praised the grounded writing, the relative simplicity of the battle system (TP usage), and the distinct classes.

You only really have 250 characters to say what you want so you're rather limited.

Edna Mode posted:

Has anyone figured out how the enemy AI determines who they are going to attack? I felt like there were more than a few times I would try to send my frontline up to draw aggro just to have the enemy walk around them and hit a support character instead.

They'd often target healers first due to lack of health and defense I imagine. They attack to kill.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's if you didn't repair the lift in the exploration mode. Also Hughette shouldn't be brought due to all the archers. You should have one other bonus character by then that can swap in. The lightning mage can make it rain which will nullify the burning field problem, though I like using that to my advantage personally.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's the one on the right and I think you need to talk to several people in certain orders. Check the lift, both top and bottom, find the dude who says he's a supplier for a mechanic (his dad), then find the dad in one of the buildings who will say he'll fix it, and then talk to his son again for the piece. I think that's how it goes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Something anything would’ve been better. gently caress give it a dumb subtitle like that new Voice of the Cards if you need to.

I get that it’s what people know it as now but it’s a sort of tired gimmick that was perfect for Untitled Goose Game, silly with Octopath Traveler, and now it’s just dumb and lazy.

Game looks real good though. Looking forward to spring. May be my birthday present to myself.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Junpei posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I was doing some research and found this half-Spanish, half-English shot of another Scales of Conviction moment

Weird. But I'm up for a multi-lingual experience. Keeps you on your toes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Is that a March or April release date? Doesn't matter I suppose, I'll still get it for my birthday in April, but still I always like when it's punctual.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Not liking the voice acting but it looks great otherwise.

Yeah same, if there's an option to put it in Japanese or even off, I may just do that and skip listening to it if I can't.

I've never been a fan of voice acting, especially with skippable dialogue. I just read so much faster and the actors rarely are up to the task.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just like in real life

Seems like a Fire Emblem job progression (possibly branching job paths?) with skill trees, that sounds good to me.

Progression is good. Branching jobs is ok... I just hope it doesn't go full customizable. I like when the options are limited. The game tends to be more balanced and I get far less choice paralysis. It seems like every character will have a set of limited options which will make for fun replays.

The branching paths make it seem like there's going to be a bunch of different maps which is very cool.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Caidin posted:

There are class changes! You can check them in the encampment, a bit. It seems to be a straight line though, without branching options or anything.

Yes! I love not having to make choices, also makes for a better balanced game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Levantine posted:

Yeah I'm not at all surprised by it or turned off by it but I guess some folks want more battles in their games (which is fine).

I finally purchased my copy today after maxing out the demo to my satisfaction. Looking forward to losing some time to it.

I don't mind if there's not all a lot of battles as long as they're well-balanced and still allow for multiple play throughs with different units and strategies.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I haven’t been following as I have yet to buy the game but has anyone done an effort post on the available classes?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zore posted:

Every character has essentially their own class with its own strengths and weaknesses. The only real character customization is being able to buy minor stat upgrades or picking between 2 perks (like more damage with Wind spells, more damage with Electric spells) which you can switch between freely outside of battle.

I love it. I prefer unique classes with no customization.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is it feasible to recruit everyone the first way through? And does the game keep track of what you do or don't do?

I only went through the first choice at the moment, but I wonder if I should keep a document to allow myself to more easily follow different paths. Also, I totally didn't force my friends to do what I wanted, since I wanted to see what everyone's conversation was like lol. Probably not the idea, but still, I'm enjoying the rather toned down writing at the moment.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Great. I'm going to be at it for a while. I'll probably maximize dialogue options for the time being because it's neat, unless I really care about a choice.

And yeah!

Thanks everyone!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So, what's the deal with dying? Do characters get benched or nothing happens? Should I then just take bigger risks and throw them into dangerous positions to trade a kill for a kill? I guess it just means that character won't get anymore xp in the fight.

Also, the spoils. Do you only get them if you land on them with a unit, or do you collect any that are remaining on the map automatically. I've been doing the former so far and I feel like I'm wasting turns for things that are maybe not worth it? Are they worth it?

And I found the story map which is cool, but does the game keep track of recruitable characters ever? Or should I eventually make my own list so I can at least see everyone once in action over multiple playthroughs?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Edit:

Thanks for the clarifications.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Recruitment stuff (no character names or story details here, just chapter numbers):

Chapter 3 - You get a different character in each route through this chapter.

Chapter 15 - There are three routes through this chapter, and four different recruitable characters. The Liberty choice in this chapter has two possible recruits, and which one you get depends on which choice you made in Chapter 11. So if you want to recruit everyone, you'll need to do the Liberty choice in Chapter 15 twice on two different playthroughs, one with one Chapter 11 choice and one with the other.

Finally, there's one more recruit on one of the ending paths. If you're doing all of the endings, you'll get them eventually.

Aside from that, all the recruits are either guaranteed by the story or gained by increasing your convictions, and NG+ will give you a list of conviction recruits and their requirements.

Quoting this for posterity. Thanks! The game is really so good. I'm going slowly, I just finished my 4th battle I think, but the story is interesting and the action a delight.

Anna and Hughette are the best girls and I love them both. I remember some of the characters from the demo and I'm excited to get them leveled up and strong as poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone tell me the point to Piccoletta. She was responsible, with some bad tactics, for my first loss, I brought in Navre and destroyed.

She feels like a money sink since she needs items?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kild posted:

You use her decoy. It makes the enemies so mad they'll bumrush and do anything to kill it.

That's interesting. I'll keep that in mind then. The bad tactics was poorly placing that thing somewhere. I thought she'd be physically stronger or have a more ranged attacked but nope. Just items. I like how everyone draws from the same pool of items though, but it does mean I need to looser about using them. I can use healing items fine, but offensive ones I keep holding onto. Bad JRPG habits. I just haven't found a situation where one of them is better than just attacking or something else, just yet.

I really really liked how Fell Seal: Aribiter's Mark used items. Essentially everyone pulled from the same inventory, and that inventory had a few items in it of several types (3 healing, 2 offensive etc), that were renewed every battle, so you're encouraged to use them fully every fight. The enemies had the same deal going for them. It add an interesting wrinkle and allows for more item usage.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How's promoting work? Are you penalized for promoting asap like in FE or is it just a as soon you can thing?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a pity the music isn't as good as Octopath's. I find myself actively turning it down. It's fine, but nothing special.

Octopath is really a top ten best of all time. I have no idea why that game didn't have a music player.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

I wouldn't put Medina in S tier for new game. You get her pretty early and she doesn't get her best abilities until quite late. Plus money is short on your first playthrough, so using her slows down getting your other characters upgrades.

I like her cause she's Tressa from Octopath Traveller, and she was the best girl. So I did that Mock Battle that rewards you with 2000g and just used that to fund her early use.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is TP short triangle points? I don’t recall it being explained.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Sean posted:

I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and decided to mess with the display settings. I'm going off of the top of my head at this point but I disabled the dark edges and brightened the graphics in game and am really enjoying it. I suggest at least trying it on a non-first playthrough.

Edit: It still amazes me that nobody in game talks about quietus at all... has there ever been an explanation for it?

The reason it's called a 'quietus' is cause everyone stays quiet about it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Only on chapter ten (I didn't bring my switch on holiday just my 3DS), but I just owned that "Don't let anyone escape" mock mission oh so nicely. Lost Hossabara in the woods on the left but Archibald came in clutch with a surprise dodge and Narve is just a wonderboy. I know I shouldn't do missions with like 4 mages and only 1 Julian, since I don't know who to spread TP to, but Narve is never a wrong choice. Also, messed around with Lionel a bit and he's nasty. Making him unreachable and giving fury on someone makes them useless while they break trying to get to him.

I checked out the voices again (in English) and I do not regret not putting them on. Maybe I'll do one playthrough with, but it's not likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hm ok. The chat log has been useful to go back and listen to things after seeing it at first.

I know it's been said but the cast diversity is excellent and I love that they kept it to unique units (like my favorite FE or well unique enough).

If you know where to use them niche characters like Jens and Piccoletta really shine. Archibald's funny though. He's clearly got a niche, it's just it's a very useful one in almost any map. I find Hughette to be better thanks to her mobility and status attacks, while he just wrecks.

The etymologist in me keeps laughing at the instructions of "Decimate the opposing forces". So like I kill one out of the ten facing me? I really appreciate the writing. The morally reprehensible actions are framed really well, it's not just evil for the sake of evil is what I mean, and prove just how awful people can be when they're self-serving.