Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I wound up giving away the prince too and honestly I kind of regret it both because he’s one of the better units and also because the map you get where you do is hard as balls.

Also, there’s apparently three recruitable characters in the demo of which you can only recruit two depending on the smaller choices you make. I didn’t get the character that apparently acts like a TP battery, I got the lightning mage and the girl who throws items like a FFT Chemist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Completed a second playthrough of the demo, apparently it’s possible to only recruit one of the optional characters as I only got the item girl this time around.

Edit: The trap map was a little touch and go but it was so, so, much easier than the other one

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I got Medina (the Chemist girl) on my second playthrough by telling Hughette that “Roland must survive at all costs” on the bridge. That was the only choice I’d had the opportunity to make at that point so it’s probably a significant factor.

I don’t remember which choice I made on my first playthrough but it wound up getting me the Shaman lady first.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Has anyone beaten the “Keep Roland” map without any traps? Do the cutscenes afterwards act like you burnt the town anyway?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So I was screwing around with the questions and I can confirm that answering “Flee if you must” and “You would have me decide now?” for the first two questions will net you Julio, in case anyone was having any trouble recruiting him. And I can confirm from asking around that telling Hughette “Roland must survive” is all it takes to get Medina. I don’t know what it takes to unlock Ezana, but I’m pretty sure I answered “We need your blade” on the first question at least.

Julio just seems like a direct upgrade to Benedict, wow

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Can he boost damage? I could barely dent most enemies on map 2 without Benedict's damage boost; but I never recruited Julio

Not only can he, he also gives whoever he’s buffing an extra TP and it only costs him 1 TP to do it compared to Benedict’s 2 TP. And it’s nothing special compared to the dedicated attackers, but Julio has an actual attack skill as well

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I haven’t gotten my survey yet, but someone tell them to put in the ability to mark enemy ranges

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Attack or movement?

The attack range would wind up covering both of these. Thanks if you’re actually gonna put it in there.

Edna Mode posted:

Has anyone figured out how the enemy AI determines who they are going to attack? I felt like there were more than a few times I would try to send my frontline up to draw aggro just to have the enemy walk around them and hit a support character instead.

It’s most likely whoever they can deal the most damage to or whoever they can kill if they gang up on them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The way I finally managed that map with no deaths was to send my entire army (minus Anna) up the narrow path on the right that’s guarded by the heavy armor guys. That’ll let you climb to the top of the map without being sniped to death.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I think you have to interact with the lift specifically

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

https://youtu.be/iPy1wa-1KWQ

New trailer just dropped, featuring a sneak peek at what character progression looks like

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

For now, but Octopath eventually made its way to Steam

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The actual game definitely feels way harder than the demo. In the demo I was able to beat the version of chapter where you defend Roland with no casualties and no houses burned with minimal trouble but I'm getting absolutley washed at that chapter in the real game

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I kept an earlier save, so I can go back and buy the oil thingies and try to light her on fire. Do you get anything for winning without using the traps? Probably conviction points?

The village is still intact next time you have an explore phase there and the villagers have dialogue thanking you. It might also be a requirement for the golden ending.

Anyway, I'm getting completely rinsed in The Battle of Booker's Brigade version of chapter 9, where you start in a hole surrounded by enemies. Though of course I get an idea for how to beat it when I have to head off for work. Might even manage to make use of Hossabara, who is probably the worst character in the game despite how cool she looks

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

What Royalists are even left after Aesfrost invades in the early game? Just Patriatte?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I've been thinking I should get back into this game, I left off around Ch. 13... about a year ago?

I'm tempted to start over, even though I know I'll have to play it four times, cause I think I wasted a lot of resources and my recruits are redundant (three mages in addition to Frederica) or too expensive for new game (the item throwers).

Is there a consensus on whether the stat upgrades for weapons are worth or not? +1 doesn't seem like a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I guess won't start over if the early conviction recruits are the same regardless, I just have a thing about not liking returning to an old save file like this cause it doesn't even feel like mine anymore.

I'm also well aware of how good Fred and the ice guy are, I specifically went to Hyzante to recruit him after how good he was in the first demo. And I also get how good mages in general, but it's just a pain in the rear end defending them when my army is so squishy as it is. I do also remember how busted Jens is, it's great.

Right now I'm struggling with the bridge map where you fight Frederica's horrible siblings, I went with her plan to retake the castle. My initial plan was to scurry down the ladders on the sides and funnel the enemies to my guys one at a time but movement is so low in this game half my army keeps biting it before they can make it there.