Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland gets a cool mask so I’m a fan tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reik posted:

I guess if you're a relatively progressive liberal writing video game stories in Japan you might think of aesfrost, hyzante, and Glenbrook as America, China, and the Shinzo Abe's "bring back the divine emperor" party respectively, which are probably the main political ideologies you're familiar with and they're all rear end?

I think Royalists, Capitalists & religious fundamentalists are common enough that these ideologies as represented in the game don’t need to map to specific real world countries. I mean these beliefs don’t only exist in a few specific nations, many countries are even in fact influenced by all 3!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think mock battles are any less flavorless than like a random encounter or whatever. They come off ok imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Roland was basically always my first character to die. His extended movement range kind of felt like a trap. I like that they let him bring his horse to the 8v8 competition at the beginning of the game. He is the Prince, I guess!

Hey other people also got to keep their horse! It was a fair fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roland's investigation always felt the most urgent of the 3 to me. Those monarchist guys are real fucks and really need to be dealt with as soon as possible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think she says during the deliberation that she'd be able to handle it even if Serenoa didn't come with. And she's absolutely right.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did the smuggling route first off because someone brings up how the Seven will probably believe Sorsley over us considering his position and how we don't have any real evidence. I figured we'd pick up some concrete evidence via doing the run once and then we'd be able to curry favor Hyzante.

Not really what ended up happening in that route though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it works very well tbh. Maybe you gotta take his choice in 15 though for extra context I dunno.

With chapter 15 Roland gets entirely cynical about the whole idea of Royalty. It's not like he was ever all that into it but his immediate gently caress up and failure to do anything to help the people he's fighting for and in fact just make them all hate him causes him to give up on the idea entirely. But hey there's one other form of governance on the continent and that one is ruled by an omnipotent God and not any one person. So it would completely absolve him of any responsibility and create a thin veneer that he's still trying to "help" people. So let's bring on the Theocracy!

Like he's trying to justify it as it being "fair" for the most people or whatever but I think it's very clear Roland's primary motivation is to abandon the throne and have someone clean up his messes so he doesn't need to deal with the stress and all his failures. Which y'know makes him a coward loser failson and makes it very hards to justify siding with him but I think its a decently compelling move as a character and feels decently built up and showcased. Love it when a game just lets a character get worse.

Also explains why he's totally down for Frederica's route because he still ends up abandoning the throne. Hell, he's probably a lot happier because he gets to abandon the throne for justice and friendship and act as the Heroic Knight he's way more interested in being.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I bet Frederica guilts him into watching her kid all the time by reminding him of the time he wanted to sell out her people and keep them enslaved because he was sad

I don't think he'd need to be guilted to do that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yes. That is the point.

E: Being a coward running away from responsibility wouldn't be much of a flaw if it wasn't going to have disastorous consequences. And it wouldn't be as interesting if he wasn't trying to justify it as being all for the greater good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's the best

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello, just got the game last week, and I'm very bad at getting votes. So far we've managed to vote to betray whomever just allied with us.
I wanted to vote to help Roland, but was overruled, then tried to help the wheat house and was overruled. We then betrayed Aesfrost when Hyzanthe invaded, and exposed Ende's dealings. Of course we refused to hand over the roselle.
We just voted to blow up the bridge, so thankfully no choice there was "down Hyzanthe at sea" or somehow Benedict would have done it

Benedict living his best life.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chapter 15 was the one time I didn't choose the Roselle because yeah Frederica could handle a couple bandits by herself. Seemed of relatively low importance in the grand scheme of things. Especially compared to royalists forces in the kingdom are actively sabotaging the new rule and leaving the poor to die.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think customisation wouldn't really help the game much so the fact that its halfbaked doesn't bother me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its the clear winner frankly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Capitalism cannot be derailed by the death of one man.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just did 2 runs. I think i'm ok with skipping Trish and Travis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

aggro management is very powerful