Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Travis and Trish seem fun, I hope there's a path that lets you recruit them eventually.

Apparently you keep gained experience (and kudos, whatever it's for) after a defeat, so don't be like me and abandon a run that's starting to go south, unless you want to impose that limitation on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Looking at the lore bits, and lol @ Hyzante calling Glenbrook's historical records fake news.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if it's going to be the same seven ride-or-die characters holding the voting coins for the whole game, or if plot events and your choices have the potential to change who exactly has a seat at Serenoa's table.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pretty sure most or all of those get unlocked from talking to people before the tourney. It's understandable that you might have missed them though; if you weren't compulsively rubbing your face against every wall it wasn't super clear visually just how big the explorable area was on that map.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBF I think that's more or less the point of making those side scenes explicitly opt in; if you want your experience to be seeing only what Serenoa sees, the game gives you the tools to do that.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it actually possible to beat Chapter VII when you’re defending the town without using the traps? The boss lady has like 500 hp and I can barely dent her. I guess the only way is to torch her? I was doing ok until the third wave of reinforcements arrived and I got massively overwhelmed. All of my characters are lv10+ but I could only get one promotion item. I also only got one item to upgrade a weapon so I feel extremely underpowered for the fight. :sigh: I’m going to have to bite the bullet and torch the town, aren’t I?

I'm several attempts in and it feels like the solution is going to end up being to hole up on the roofs as soon as you start to feel the pressure. You'll be essentially safe from Avlora and the other melees, and even the ranged AI seems like it starts to freak out a little bit when there's no available targets on the ground.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Novasol posted:

I'm a big Tactics Ogre fan and think Triangle Strategy is just better, full stop. Mainly in the gameplay department. The voice acting is very uneven, which is probably due to covid complications and a director who wasn't up to the task. Making dialogue sound fluid when actors aren't doing it in the same room together is an extremely difficult thing to do and I am thinking that is probably what happened here.

For the record, even pre-pandemic it's fairly rare for voice actors to be in the same room together when recording, especially in games.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...It's taken me until chapter 11 to notice that Anna took Benedict's last name. It's a good thing I did, too, because the father-daughter dynamic was particularly strong in the scene I was watching.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Chapter 12 (my chapter 11 was "The Bitter End," for reference): It's extremely obvious coming from a world where we know that rock salt is a thing that that's what got Dragan killed, I really hope someone on team Wolffort connects the dots here soon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What is the point for going into the castle, seeing Aesfrost lie to your face, then you flee with Roland (but without the rest of the royal family for reasons?)

The reason is that Roland is right next to the door with you, and the others are across the room with Avlora and Gustadolph between you and them.

Reik posted:

Is there any route where you don't see what happens in the mine? It would be a much more interesting choice if you weren't 100% sure their story about Regna was a lie.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if Regna actually did have schemes regarding the mine that he just never got the chance to execute. Patriatte does implicate Grani in the embezzlement Julio uncovers, after all.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 14, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I like Roland well enough so far, though I don't really have anyone else that fills his niche yet. If I could change one thing, though, it would be to let you choose which enemy Opportune Attack procs against. Yes Roland, I definitely wanted you to poke that shieldbearer for 10 damage instead of taking another chunk out of the caster that I'm trying to rush down asap.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wow the chapter 13 story battle where you bomb the boat is rough. So many reinforcements and they're all elite meatbags with a ton of HP. If it wasn't for Erador taunting the mages and healers I would have already lost.

I think I can win this but I already lost a couple people and reinforcements just keep coming so we'll see.

In case you're still having trouble, some things I noticed playing this chapter that helped me out:

If you get your archers up on the mast of the ship, they can plink away at enemies unopposed save for the hawks; even spells don't have enough vertical tolerance to reach them. Hughette can get up there on her own, and you can Lightwave one more.

As long as you don't go out of your way to provoke him, Thalas seems mostly content to just stand around until after you kill Erika.

Erika really, really likes to set up oil before using her fire AOE, so if she hasn't done that it's a solid indicator that her next turn won't be that dangerous.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont think those matter, but if you use characters more you unlock very support like conversations, altho no mechanical benefits are given

They do strengthen Serenoa's convictions, technically.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DNE posted:

the Exploration segments are actually doing a pretty nice trick -- Triangle Strategy has unusually complex and dense maps for a 3D tactical RPG. The exploration sequences are used to make you run around the map before you use it, so that it's fair that there's a ladder on the back of this one building there, or that there's a weird dip that way, or that the exact configuration of all the minecarts matter, without making you feel like you have to scan over the whole thing at the start of the battle.

(Not that, I mean, the trick that it's doing necessarily justifies the time you spend on them if you found them boring - I just thought I'd point out why I think they designed them into the game.)

Yeah, I like that it lets you familiarize yourself with the nuances of the terrain outside the heat of battle. It does make me wonder though: is there a jump boosting accessory anywhere in the game, and if so, does it affect Serenoa's traversal during exploration segments?

My main complaint about exploration segments is that the particle effects on things like water look similar enough to the hidden item sparkles to be confusing and distracting.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just reached the final chapter of Frederica's route, and I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from the automaton, but "horses, but faster" definitely wasn't it. I don't even think they're mechanical at all! They poofed into nothingness, so I have to assume they're made entirely of magical energy.

Anyway, it's kind of neat that Idore is more of a support/area control guy and actually does less damage than the regular enemies.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just finished Frederica's route. Gotta say, I respect the game for having the convictions(:v:) to kill Serenoa for real.

Currently rewatching the epilogue because I forgot to check if Frederica's profile changes for it.

E: It does not; that's actually a bit disappointing.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 28, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Does anyone know if the reward Lionel mentions for not taking any losses only cares about story missions, or do I have to avoid casualties in mock battles too?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea you get the amulet of immunity she is wearing later on, and it does indeed provide immunity to all status effects, including poisoning. Not sure if it works on Stop though.

Fury, Poison, Charm, Blind, Sleep at a minimum.

Pretty sure Stop is a special case, yeah. I popped the restore quietus on a stopped character when I was fighting Lyla and stop wasn't removed. It did, however, remove the Delayed Damage status.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Eh, I think I've used those ladders maybe once in all the battles I've fought on that map, and that was on an attempt that I already knew was doomed.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Maybe in another life Roland could have been a himbo but under the circumstances I think he's got too much angst and pent up aggression to really qualify.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cephas posted:

-Give archery skills the same range and targeting rules as regular archery attacks

Ehhh, I could get behind most of those changes, but this just feels like unnecessary homogenization, especially since a lot of them already do. I get that it feels bad when there's something blocking direct line of sight, but I think the balance on those skills is fine, and edged arrow in particular seems like it'd probably be slightly overtuned if a big enough height advantage let Archibald use it from like 8 spaces away.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I'm coming to realize that I don't super love how your raw conviction values let you pretty much brute force all the votes in NG+. I get that it's useful as a gameplay concession to let you see the other paths more easily, but tbh I never had much trouble getting my desired outcome even the first time around, and I think the story feels better when you have one or two dissenters every once in a while even after your attempts at persuasion.

Maybe this'll change as I get further in and the expected conviction values start to catch up to what I've accumulated, idk. Mostly it just seems weird when the dialogue for the option I pick makes it sound like I hosed up, but then they vote my way anyway.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Important Maxwell discovery I made last night: Two Birds One Stone procs when he uses a ranged healing pellet to heal multiple people; I assume attack items would work too.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Looper posted:

that's not true. i suppose grinding mock battles could've done the trick eventually but on my first run i was apparently so wishy washy that i couldn't persuade anyone against giving up roland in chapter 7 no matter which combination of dialogue options i picked. and i tried every one!

Did you not go out into town? Some of the votes have exploration sections attached that can unlock dialogue options.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBH the scene actually reads weirder to me when you give up Roland, because ostensibly no one knew that he returned to Castle Wolffort after his escape. Gustadolph has no particular reason to think that the Wolfforts are involved in his death at all, as opposed to some rando offing him while he was on the run. Although I guess this still works under the interpretation that Gustadolph is just throwing out whatever bullshit will satisfy the rest of the room in order to focus on more important things.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Giovanna's biggest issue imo is that her actually good abilities have almost no vertical tolerance, severely hamstringing her on any map that isn't mostly flat.

Also, extremely niche but also hilarious Stop Time interaction that I discovered: dying clears all status effects, including stop, so if you can set up a unit with auto-res to get killed by poison/fire/black anklet while time is stopped, they can start acting again without Quahaug having to spend a rewind on them.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, the AI does have a much better sense of self preservation than in a lot of SRPGs, and generally won't send units blindly charging into your killbox for no reason. Honestly the two things are probably related, since they both stem from the AI playing much more cautiously when there aren't any targets immediately in range.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I've said this before, but the problem with Giovanna's skills isn't the terrain restrictions, it's the zero vertical tolerance, significantly limiting her effective range on almost every map in the game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

I... think you've missed something very important with the salt.

The only source of salt in this world up until this point was the lake in the middle of Hyzante. The Roselle weren't mining it for them, they were removing it from the water. Since the lake is entirely within Hyzante's territory they had a complete and total monopoly on it.

The fact that salt also occurs in crystal form underneath the earth is something that literally no one knew until Dragan discovered it, aside from Roselle legends that were discounted. This completely shatter's Hyzante's monopoly and gives whoever holds the mine incredible power.

The other thing you've missed is that the salt crystal is evidence yes, but Aesfrost already knows about and controls the mine. Hyzante can't just make it disappear by destroying you.

Technically Dragan's discovery in the mines is still a mystery at that point, but if you haven't put two and two together by then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Got the urge to pick my second playthrough back up after over a year. The last thing I did before putting it down was cheese chapter 13 (dam version) without fighting anyone thanks to Quahaug, before deciding I wanted the rewards, actually, and going back to the previous save. So this time I did the fight legit, where by "legit" I mean "Eventually I ended up with only Anna and Geela left alive against like 10 enemies, but luckily the AI on this map is so obsessed with defending the objective that they let me abuse stealth and auto revive while picking them off one by one."

I figured after that Geela had earned dibs on the promotion item Sycras dropped. :v:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

More specifically for the question I think you asked, while the lion's share of your convictions come from your story and exploration dialogue choices, they also increase very slowly through basic actions you take in battle and at camp. Stuff like using items, spending money, bringing/not bringing the recommended characters for a battle, finishing a battle with no fallen characters, etc.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

About to start King Dipshit's route. Not looking forward to how dirty i'm going to feel afterwards. :(

E: lol, apparently trying to convince everyone else to go along with it made me feel so dirty that I couldn't bring myself to pick the right options to persuade them, guess we're doing Benedict's plan instead. :v:

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Frankly, even if you did start over and make different choices, it wouldn't change much about your magic heavy roster outside of getting Rudolph instead of Corentin. The conviction recruits are heavily skewed towards mages and support units, especially early on, that's just how it is. The only straightforward physical attacker before you hit the penultimate tier of recruits is Archibald. ...Now that I think about it, he might actually be at that penultimate tier too, I'm not sure. Past that, you've got... Julio and Lionel, if you squint? And Julio's best damage move is technically magical anyway.

Fake edit: Oh right, Hossabara too, I guess.