Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I scrubbed through the trailer and I did notice something interesting

So, Hughette performs an action, but in the UI, where it says her... "class"? "Title"? In the demo it's "Scout", but in the gameplay, it's "Flier Master"

So that's a solid confirmation that there will be some sort of promotion/class system, or at the very least character's titles change as they get stronger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, do you think you'll be going Liberty, Morality or Utility for your first playthrough?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, we have hexagon-based strategy games, and square-based strategy games, why not a triangle-based grid? It'd work as far as tiling goes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apologies for the double post, but I was doing some research and found this half-Spanish, half-English shot of another Scales of Conviction moment

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tokyo Game Show trailer didn't really offer much more info, sadly.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxFwqgTY8Y

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The trailer says “kwai-ee-tuh-sess” which is such a weird word. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway I need a new thread title so if you can come up with a pun using Quietuses, I will be impressed.

check out a game called Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm gonna smack the next person who calls this game "Weeb Game Of Thrones"

(no one here, mind, I'm annoyed at other people on other websites.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think the game will have only 3 endings (one for each of Morality/Liberty/Utility), or do you see the possibility of like, combo routes where you do two of those but ignore the third?

I don't see any possibility for a 'true ending' gotten by keeping all three equal, though, unless it's like an early game over where Serenoa gets called out for being spineless or flip-floppy and he gets backstabbed or something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, if nothing else I have no worries that some evil demon dragon will pop out suddenly and be revealed to be secretly behind everything bad happening (including the previous human antagonists).

If only because the only real supernatural thing there that isn't just "Person can use magic" is the whole Heirophant deal, and there are several ways that could shake out (Is it a guy who actually talks to the goddess? Is he just a regular guy bullshitting for power?)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm not surprised but I am a little disappointed that Frederica is already getting hit with the "Mary Sue" label in some circles

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That's not even the most confusing thing someone said in that circle! One guy said that he had no faith in the story's ability to have grey morality and just assumed that it would be another Good Democracy vs Evil Empire story and I'm just like

not only is that reductive and too early to say, but it's also not even objectively correct? There are no democracies or empires to be found-Glenbrook is a kingdom, Aesfrost is a dukedom/duchy, and Hyzante is a theocracy?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, out of curiosity, I went to Hyzante and got the ice mage guy. I know if you go to Aesfrost you get an archer, but isn't Hughette already an archer? How do they differ from her? What's their focus/specialization?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Go home, Khanstant!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah the VAs seem just really divisive. Some people say they're good, some people say they're bad, some people say they're just okay, some say the VAs are fine but the script has too many Proper Nouns or is too "PSP re-translation of FFT"-y, etc etc.

I myself think it's fine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like how the game rewards you with Kudos for making smart tactical plays-using Roland's range to hit two enemies at once, attacking from high ground, doing back attacks and follow-ups, hitting someone from outside their range, it makes me feel smart.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It feels like there's too much set-up to use the elemental magic environment effects unless they're explicitly a part of the map's gimmick/focus

Like, you'd have to have Corentin freeze tiles and then Frederica melt them so the electricity caster can shock people in control/standard conditions and that's just a bit much

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you feel like Serenoa and Frederica actually love each other? I've heard some people saying their relationship feels natural, while other people say that it feels stiff and purely political despite them being very kind to each other.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So what characters are people getting? From doing a little research I've heard a few:

-Barkeep lady is a horse healer
-Blacksmith dude can create ladders
-Offense item clown little girl
-Well-rounded magician dude who can hit all the elements

Plus eventually the TP-gifting advisor dude, healing item user and weather mage chick from the original demo that comes later.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Counterpoint: Drunk Dragan.

Also I die a little inside whenever someone has Erador move, and then engage Sprint after he's used his 'move action'. Use Sprint first and then he can get into position easier!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Considering how important action economy is in a lot of these games I'm surprised that Anna isn't really talked about much considering she gets two actions a turn.

Geela's speed buff is a definite plus even if she wasn't a healer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There might not be much customizability but there is some in the weapon upgrades and it can make you stop and think.

Like, Roland had two, mutually exclusive (though swappable) passives, both of which reduce the TP cost of his early skills (Double Thrust and Rush). It makes you go-"Which do I value more? Roland's ability to hit multiple targets and be mobile, or his single-target damage?".

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I find it funny that your first horse unit (who are apparently weak to spears) and your first hawk rider (who are weak to bows), themselves, use spears and bows

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be honest, after years of Fire Emblem games where politics are pushed to the side in favor of Divine Weapon Vs Evil Dragon slapfights it's interesting to see a world where magic is a thing but the whole plot stays grounded and realistic, for the most part

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just sharing the important fact that weapon upgrades aren't just stat buffs-some have full passives that add to your skillset. Serenoa gets one that restores some HP on a kill. Geela gets one that raises the range of all her abilities.

Some also get TP cost reductions on certain skills. Julio gets one for his "give all 1 TP and buff their attack" skill.

And then of course everyone has an ultimate skill unlocked through that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Another refreshing thing coming from Fire Emblem is that all of the archers kick rear end-Hughette is a great disabler who can just immediately get to a high position, and Archibald kick serious rear end, he does so much damage at such ludicrous ranges.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Out of curiosity, I looked up who the super-late joining plot characters are and I wanna know what they play like.

I know Milo has a "make a second super jump move" and she's... well, a dancer so I anticipate buffs and debuffs. Travis and Trish I've fought against, Travis is a melee bruiser and Trish is an archer. Cordelia seems like a healer/buffer to me?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I appreciate that they gave Geela a speed buff to give her something to do if nobody needs healing. Speed buffs that boost turn frequency are always good in SRPGs.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who else besides Serenoa and Erador get counter-attack passives?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anna really wants to backstab people, she gets a passive bonus to it. I think it also applies to her follow-ups if they're also back attacks?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm still a little sad that they cut Serenoa's best line from the first demo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I thought Hyzante was going for a Medieval Islam vibe myself????

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Good news! Hughette gets a +1 Range on her normal attack passive via weapon upgrades!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The world of Triangle Strategy be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJC0LJTYZc

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If this game got a sequel, where would you want it to be set? Norzelia, but further in the past or the future? A different world with different specifics but the same general low-fantasy vibe? Or one that amps up the fantasy, with monsters and more magic in it?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A spoiled list of things I'd like to see, assuming that they make a sequel to the game.

-New setting and characters. Norzelia is fun and all, but I wouldn't want to play another game involving Glenbrook, Aesfrost, and Hyzante. It's fine if salt and iron stay important, but visit a new world with new countries, conflicts, and Convictions. (Hey, alliteration!)
-More mysticism and magic in the world. I did like the general low-fantasy vibe, but I feel like you could bump up the magic a tad and still keep the political focus. Some monsters to fight, either tamed for armies or 'wild', maybe not have the only religion in the land be a complete scam, etc.
-More mounted units. It's a crying shame that the only horseback fighters are Roland and Hossabara, and the only hawk units are Hughette and Flanigan. There could be so much more kinds of fighters if they mixed and matched with more weapon types. Speaking of weapon types...
-Streamline and differentiate the weapon types more. The game has 4 sword users and 4 archers, and yet there's only one whip user, one whip user, and one hammer fighter. Some characters have weapon types that make sense like Giovanna's pickaxe and Milo's fans, but... a racquet? a telescope? And what's the difference between a rod and a staff? Merge those two. And I feel like a whip should have a little more than one range. Also, spears have a neat 'can hit 2 people via the default attack' niche, it's a shame you only get two of them.
-Do more with the environment and weather types. As it stands, in the base game, only the mages (Frederica, Corentin, Ezana, Narve, Giovanna) and Trish with her Fire Arrow skill can really affect the environment without having to use items, and only Ezana can effect the weather. Some characters benefit from specific terrain or weather (Roland gets +1 Move in clear weather, Frederica gets more Fire damage when it's clear, Archibald gets more damage when it's windy, Giovanna loves specific terrain types, Ezana can pick between wind or thunder damage being boosted in specific weathers, Travis gets a strength boost from standing on fire), but I feel like it's not enough, somehow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Taear posted:

I felt like I got that character a bit too late to use them, but I do kinda feel like it makes the horse Roland rides feel a bit like just a cosmetic thing. He does move a BIT further but not much considering!

He also has a passive that boosts his move in sunny weather

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah I definitely want more people on horseback in a sequel. More Hawk riders, too.

Clarste posted:

Surprisingly few horses in this game if we're being honest. Like, there's even a character with a spear who gets a passive that gives bonuses for hitting weaknesses (which is only horses afaik), but they are practically nonexistent as enemies.

Hawk riding characters take more damage from bows as well.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Holy poo poo, a game where Fog/Darkness of War ends up benefitting you instead of the enemy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean I wouldn't want to side with the guy who literally stabbed my dad and older brother in front of me