Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Finished up last night and loved this game a whoooole lot. I gave Frederica whatever accessory boosts her damage at the expense of natural TP regeneration and just had Julio act as her personal TP steward. Paired off Vanguard Scarf Benedict and Anna for some good twofold nonsense and let Narve clean up everybody else. Good poo poo.

Final chapter, Benedict route: I exploited the hell out of the initial orientation of the six automatons and the battle ended up being easy as pie. Benedict went first with Vanguard and I used NOW! on Narve. Before Narve acted, I used the In Tandem quietus on Frederica. I was able to hit all six automatons with Narve's extra-range Whirlwind (boosted by his weapon's Wind Magic+ skill) and then Frederica wiped three of them with scorch. Nothing came close to hurting me except for Erador getting nuked by the Hierophant as a one-off attack.

Seeing a lot of NG+ talk about the early-game difficulty - does it calm down after that? I'm really interested in an NG+ run but I'd rather it be easier than my first run than harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That works for me. My first playthrough was Normal and I didn't intend on increasing it, so Normal should be good. Thanks!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Narve should be in god tier at all times. Best boy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
do Mental Mock Battle crowns carry over in future NG+?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the poo poo out of the Triangle soundtrack, I think it's exceptional. It's tough to compare it to Octopath since they go for such different moods.

Faves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJOUmiqi3lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHH8Dm8J9M
(this one is my alarm when I have to wake up early)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Harrow posted:

I also like the conviction system because it sort of enforces roleplaying, at least for your first playthrough before NG+ cycles let your conviction scores soar into the thousands. If you've been playing Serenoa as really idealistic and rejecting utilitarianism for half the game, you can't suddenly convince people to make a hard utilitarian choice--the Serenoa you've been playing doesn't have it in him.

Yeah, I failed one on my first playthrough and just leaned into it for the sake of roleplaying. I thought it made things pretty interesting but I also understand people who have Things To Do and don't want to deviate from them.

Harrow posted:

I had exactly one vote that I just plain couldn't succeed at in my first playthrough. I even created a second save so I could save scum and see if it was possible (since I decided I'd play out whatever happened on my first playthrough). It was the vote to smuggle the salt.

No matter what choices I picked--even looking up the optimal ones--I couldn't convince a single person, not even the undecided one. Turns out I had really, really, really low Utility. So I can confirm that it's possible for a choice to just be completely impossible because of a low conviction score. Not sure how low a score has to be, but it's possible.

It was this vote for me too lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't even know how to respond to dismissing Jens, I think he was my MVP on every "kill the boss" map because eventually the boss would either blunder into a trap that pushed them away from all their allies and into my kill zone, or one that sent them off a cliff and either having to go the long way around or climbing into another trap at the top of a ladder that would send them right back off again while I cleared out their mooks.

Most of those weren't planned, but hey, set enough traps and one of them will win the map for you!

He's so situational but just outrageously fun. I cheesed the HELL out of (chp 13 or 14 spoiler) the Avlora fight in the fountain by setting a trap that launched her directly between three of my waiting melee units. I closed the trap on the other side, used the Stop quietus on her, and she never got another turn before I turned her into dust.

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1528554150585171970

Poque fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 4, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Expecting some really mean achievements there hahaha

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. One more question: How difficult is it to get lower level folks caught up with the rest of the group (minus grinding for upgrade items)? It is really just a matter of progressing through the practice maps? Or do you get something to speed up the process later in the game?

Super easy. They gain way more experience when they're underleveled to the point where they will gain a full level per single action if they're particularly far behind.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cackling that I struggled my way through this game ignoring Medina completely (never once used her) and didn't get Corentin. Sounds like I could have had a much easier time!

Still looking forward to a NG+ someday but I have too many games on the backlog at the moment, so I'll probably forget all the Pro Strats by the time I do.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I LOVE Rudolph, he was in pretty much every one of my active parties. Plus his insane "HA HA ha ha HA HA ha ha" when leveling up never failed to make us lose it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Frederica is great and the proof is that everybody is able to look past the incredibly stilted first conversation where she abruptly demands to know what you think of her hair

Like it makes perfect sense in retrospect, but the player has no context at that point and the verbiage is hilarious. True wtf moment

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Are you using the Quietus powers? I constantly forgot about them and they can honestly be game-breakingly powerful. I didn't fight that battle myself so I don't know how to help specifically, but I had a tough one on a different path of the same decision that I broke in half with a couple Quietus uses.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hearing a lot of mage talk with no mention of NARVE, the best character in the game. :colbert: Probably my third or fourth final level promo, he's sickeningly good.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Smiling Knight posted:

Which variant? The boat one is easiest, because you can control when and how you engage. The castle garden one is tougher, as she will bum rush you with mage support and a couple of hawk riders harassing your back line.

I did a reverse Jens trap in the garden and rocketed her into a big pile of my waiting dudes. Surrounded her and used the Stop quietus and she never got a turn.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Smiling Knight posted:

In that case, the goofy Jens method mentioned above can help.

Yesssss please do my Jens method. It was extremely silly and fun. I had to reset a few times to make sure she walked onto the spring trap, but once it hit the fight was HARD over.

https://twitter.com/pox_please/status/1528554150585171970

She should've taken her own advice :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah I saw a clown child and immediately banished her to the back of the line. Unfortunately I also did that to Medina and she's apparently broken af, ha