Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In reading responses to this thread, it looks like the story varies much more than I thought it did, even though the timing of the battles and choices are the same. That's pretty impressive.

All in all--with my playthrough currently in Chapter XIII, I really like this game. It is definitely second to Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I'm enjoying it more than FFTA and FFTA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My first playthrough so far has been the "gently caress Hyzante" route, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out the decisions here, unlike in Tactics Ogre, aren't simply Law vs. Chaos, or even faction vs. faction vs. faction. In some cases, I didn't even have a strong idea in mind of which option to choose, so I let the discussions play out and the chips falling where they fell. Just in reading some of these alternate paths, sure, some of the story beats might be slightly contrived, but it's done so for the sake of gameplay variety--not poor writing--so that gets a pass from me.

I'm in Chapter XVI, having chosen to follow Benedict's plan. Based on my gameplay so far, I have a few suspicions as to what is considered the "Golden Route," but we'll see.

For me, right now, this game is sits above the Tactics Advance series, but below Final Fantasy Tactics (which is below Tactics Ogre: LUCT).

Edit: Also, regarding Chapter XV Part I's choice: Who, in your opinion, is the best recruitable person in this route? I really wanted the female bandit--I assumed it would be her or the spearman--but I am risk adverse and holy crap Milo is basically a flyer. No idea about Cordelia--never seen her in battle compared to the other two..

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 14, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Huxley posted:

I just did this part, and I didn't even have an option. I had Milo say she'd go with me, but I haven't seen Cordelia in a couple of chapters and don't even know who the third person you mention is.

When you understand the game isn't going to penalize you for a decision you make by making another path more rewarding, so it is a safe assumption that each choice has equivalent prizes and experiences.

That said, it's very clear where you will go and battle based on your decision, and the game more or less outright tells you who you will recruit if you travel back home, saying Milo will be there.. It isn't that hard to figure out who the game is talking about when they mention that bandits are headed to the Roselle village and what their purpose is, considering the stolen book from the library scene that occurred before it.. The only one I don't think you could guess without prior knowledge is Cordelia, since you never see her in battle as far as I am aware..

I know the first two are pretty baller. I'm not sure about the third!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Not really a ‘trick’ per say, but you can bring a bunch of your underleveled units to a story map (or any map where they are under leveled) and depending on much they are, you can gain a whole level per turn as long as they do anything. I had Benedict out bugging someone for a full level a turn and now everyone is within a level or two of the story map I’m on.

This game is even more generous with the level catchup mechanism than its cousins. Based on what I've seen--and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

1. You are capped at 100 xp per action if sufficiently low-leveled enough (instant level up), but the experience gained wraps around--so the remainder rolls over to the next level.
2. The amount of experience you gain is not determined by the type of action you take.
3. You get experience for most interactions, including reactions and follow up attacks.
4. The amount of experience gained per action is not tied to the level difference between the two individual participants performing the action; rather, I think, by the average level (or recommended level)?

Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics would reset your experience value to 0 after each level up. They would also value some actions over others (e.g. landing the killing blow resulted in more experience than doing damage). And, when experience gains are tied to the level difference between participants, support units tend to fall behind.

It's overall a much better system--I don't have to game it or grind.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In addition to this. If a character gains a level in the heat of combat, their new abilities/passives are immediately available so for all intents and purposes they are exactly equivalent to any other character that started at that level on the map. (excepting class changes of course).

Oh! And--

-Failed actions still count towards experience gain in many cases.
-Double attacks--or moves that allow you to act on an enemy and then act again like Sticky Arrow, will trigger experience gain twice. I just had a unit go from 22 to 24 in one turn.
-Losing a battle isn't strictly a game over; you keep any earned experience.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Clarste posted:

I don't understand why the promotion system exists. It's like they wanted to ape Fire Emblem without understanding anything about why it worked in Fire Emblem, and also that Fire Emblem has since more or less abandoned it anyway. It just feels bad to be leveling up while missing skills?

Don't forget: It's not just ability gating. Promoting units also increases stats, as well as TP limit.

Edit: Medina has a special line in the encampment when you unlock her Weapon ability. I should check with others as I unlock them...
Edit 2: To be clear, I agree, the class system would be more worthwhile with, well, branches.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 15, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Celestial Balm does not work with TP Physick and I am sad.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I finished my first playthrough! I had mostly Utility decisions, with morality second and liberty third. I went with Benedict's plans for blowing up the dam AND with his plan to ally with Aesfrost, the former I thought was a TERRIBLE idea but made a lot of sense. I basically chose the options I would have least likely taken.

It ended faster than I expected and I have a ton of steam left. I have just started a New Game + and am getting my butt handed to me by the bandits, as others have mentioned. Gotta get Roland 6 or so levels, and maybe level up the main crew some, as well, since I coasted along mostly beneath the recommended story levels. I'm not sure if I am going to pursue the "golden" path yet.

Edit: Regarding enemy AI:

Enemies are fairly smart, but you can definitely manipulate them in similar ways to other strategy games. My favorite is purposefully exposing your back, for example, and playing a spring trap there so you'll force an enemy to take damage/lose a turn for being greedy.

Anna was MVP for the last battle. Once I learned that the automaton was more focused on doing the map-wide nearly 400 base-damage attack on anyone who has 3 or more TP, or summoning more mooks, I had Erador, Groma, and Milo all distract enemies with provoke, Lure In, and temptation skills. Meanwhile, Anna snuck around and attacked the boss without penalty, Taking Cover as needed. Glad I came up with this strategy on my first try, because that map-wide attack would have taken out more than 1 person had I not done Benedict's Dragon Shield to protect my squishier units.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 16, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Adding a +1 to it not being very clear, after a few rounds I paid more attention to where I could move and suddenly it clicked.

That battle made me realize that a lot of gimmicks in Bomberman battle courses would translate well into SRPG maps.

Taear posted:

It turns out my playthrough netted me 1900 liberty, 1100 morality and only 700 utility so I've got a big ramp of utility to go through. Man I'm sad I missed out on the hawk shield guy, he's amazing.

I got him in, I think, Chapter XIX, so I probably have similar ratings. I know I'm missing quite a few characters.

One person who joined my party late but managed to find a spot was Groma. I wanted to use her out of principal, but thought her skills were rather basic. Then I noticed her stats.... she has the highest evade next to Milo AND gets desperate evasion. I assume she becomes the evasion version of of Erador (except doesn't shatter to pieces if you light a match near her).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Pladdicus posted:

There was no way for me to check what I needed to recruit everybody, I assume I got everyone in my first playthrough? Or how do I actually do it?
edit: Oh some characters are route based, of course.

New Game Plus, Chapter V. And, as your edit attests, definitely not all the characters the first time through. I didn't grind very much (I repeated maybe 3 or 4 mental mock battles to catch certain units I wanted to use leveled up), and I'm missing 4 route-specific people, let alone the recruits you get through conviction.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 16, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Is there a New Game ++, and does it scale?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In theory, Lionel seems useful. But I benched him after fielding him once, because I think he got 4 or so turns throughout an entire mental mock battle, and the results were subpar.

Does it get better? Does he have a good niche? Does he have good defensive or offensive growth?

Edit: are there any characters that can boost evasion/accuracy on other units?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

psy_wombats posted:

I'm pretty lost on NG+. I started a new run planning to use the units that I hadn't before, but the team carryover makes that not really viable.

The first battle is rough, but it gets easier once you're able to field more units.

The bar has new mental mock battles that will help your units catch up. I made an effort post that explains how experience gain works, but, basically, your low level units will get up to 100 exp per action based on their level compared to the recommended level. If they can withstand some damage, this exp gain includes follow up attacks, counters, and a few other actions. Putting a fire counter on a unit you're leveling, I believe, will help (as long as they're getting smacked by adjacent attacks, of course).

You could also just set it up so that you have support units give them haste and other measures to give them instant turns. Also important to keep in mind is that retreating maintains exp gain, so if that unit you're leveling happens to die early...

It will still take, like, 25-30 turns for your level 6 unit to get up to snuff. But, at least they can just use an item or something.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Monsters, mystical creatures, or more hostile human groups unaffiliated with a nation (admittedly, I can only think of bandits and pirates).

I unlocked all the conviction-based recruits in NG+ Ch8, and the mathematician and clairvoyant are fun as heck. I thought the latter was worthless--they're not, you just need to be creative.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat, I guess that was the sad ending. Unless all of them end with Serenoa sacrificing himself in a fiery explosion and Frederic’s being distraught about it.

On to NG+ I guess!

Hahaha, holy crap, no, definitely not. My path ended with Serenoa becoming king and the Roselle freed, starting an era of extreme wealth, but rampant inequality worse than the former status quo. Roland is seen working with Idore, to start a revolution or something. I call it the capitalism ending.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I have so many characters now I'm not sure who to focus on. Everyone has a fun niche.

So, is (Chapter XV story character recruit spoiler) Cordelia the only character that can increase evasion without items? Because Groma and the other Chapter XV recruit spoiler would love that. But it's very noticeably missing from Benedict's repertoire.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The soundtrack is very fitting, as though I'm playing a strategy game, if that makes sense.

The last few classes you unlock with high conviction definitely show where the team got some of their influence. Geomancer, Calculator, and a character with ally/enemy [Galaxy] Stop Time..

Some observations about them:

-Decimal and Quahaug (as well as any character that receives a benefit from waiting) have very strong synergy. Benedict -> Act Twice into Decimal, Decimal moves up some, uses his abilities as needed, moves back. Then Quahaug - Stop Time. Use Quahaug's second and third turns to do whatever--if enough TP, toss an In Due Course out or two, item heal, etc. Best used after inflicting an enemy or two with poison.

-Quahaug is also secretly a great healer: for someone like Erador, who will get saddled with every status effect known to man and have his HP destroyed by an errant magic attack or two, rewinding a turn for him turns into a status and HP heal wrapped into one.

-Giovanna seems to be mostly good in battles where the land is mostly flat, and enemies can funnel in. Those are maps where you definitely want to use fire or ice to your advantage to slow the enemy down. I just wish more ground types were covered, or they snuck in "air" somehow. It would fit thematically with her storyline, and fill in stuff like "roof" tiles. She's like a hearty version of Narve.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

poe meater posted:

I just started and I'm wondering if you'll get enough money/material to upgrade everything or do I have to be very selective? Is there anything I should get immediately or avoid? The rank 1 upgrades don't seem powerful at first glance.

The level one materials get much easier to obtain later on, but the increasing cost means, at most, you'd unlock two level 1 skills for a given character through your first playthrough.

I would highly recommend focusing on upgrades that provide more than just a single stat increase, unless you are working toward boosting their key stat. For example, I unlocked Frederica's Clear Skies, Damage Up, which is more worthwhile than +1 strength (that doesn't affect your magic attack).

Fangz posted:

Has anyone figured out what the damage formulas actually are? Like how much additional damage does a point of strength add, how much does defence help, is weapon potency better or worse, how much damage does a crit add?

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, I may take a few moments today to do some calculations. I can say that (high conviction recruit) Quahaug's delayed damage attack appears to hit for 25% health.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

NG+ done! I coasted through this second playthrough on normal, using new characters as I got them and bringing a few out that I never used (Julio) and benched a few others (Hughette, Roland).

For my ending route, I chose to follow Federica. Learning that I had to protect three different NPCs in the final battle was something I noped right, out of and hit the cheat button(s), letting Anna and another attacker harass the boss in between turns of Quahaug stopping everyone for two turns, teleporting the NPCs to where I wanted, and Height >5 blasts of 75% of the enemy team. Milo would come out of Stop, charm a portion of the enemy--who would wreak havoc on each other--or beat up on Idore, then go back into a two turn stasis.

Edit: Fun fact! If Quahaug has 5 TP, he can Stop everyone, and then immediately unstop a friendly unit by rewinding their turn. On his second or third turn, you can rewind the turn of an enemy unit to keep them in longer.

I guess I'll do one more run for the Golden Route. Since all but maybe 15 of my units are at the level cap, I guess it's time to do a hard run.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sounds like you're putting decoys in bad places and putting the wrong people near it because the enemies shouldn't attack your other people or kill it in one hit. Or maybe you're underleveled. Do some mock battles. They're fun and you can buff people.

Decoys are controlled by the AI, who laughs at your "putting decoys in bad places." I had a decoy wander out into a giant puddle and just wait for no particular reason (because, AI), and it got zapped instantly.

Piccoletta probably works well if you remember she enhances attack items, but all my extra cash goes into the HP Pellet -> TP Fund.

By the late game, the decoy falls off significantly. Piccoletta has high evasion, but is otherwise fragile--and so is the decoy. I really think the should have given her another ability--such as a buff (evasion/aim up), a debuff (the opposite), or make her copycat ability not take two turns--or at least not cost TP.

Especially by NG+, her spot is better used by either of the high evasion attackers (Milo for magical, Groma for physical). Or even the gimmicky characters that completely change the battlefield.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Erador is so amazing. I captured this a week ago during a late chapter fight (maybe 18 or 19 Benedict route), so, spoilers for that:

He got taunted the previous round, at which point he ran up and got surrounded. He got hit by 8 regular attacks, I think 4 followups, 3 of which were crits, putting him at JUST below 50% health and triggering desperate defense making him even tankier.

---

I only found Frederica's Flame Eater attack to be worthless; everything else had a lot of versatility. As Clarste mentioned, Flame Shield is amazing, especially on tanks. Use it when dealing with shieldbearers and bosses for maximum effect--but, really, the AI seems to ignore counters and moves that increase stats when HP is low, so they'll flock to the flame counter like...uh... moths. See above example.

I do agree that fire misses out by requiring special tiles to burn, since so many of the maps are dominated by flatlands and city/rock tiles. Meanwhile, virtually any tile can be frozen, and frozen tiles create choke points. The randomness of puddles from rain (and the time it takes to set up) makes them a pain to try to use.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wait does flame shield counter any attack or just fire attacks?

Any adjacent attack. So no counters for spears, arrows, or magic.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Novasol posted:

The people who turned off voice acting really miss out during that stretch of the game with the English VA. Some real venom comes out there, especially from Frederica and Benedict.

Yes, this. Especially the Chapter XVII scenes. It's seriously weird, as though all the good voice direction went to the end of the game. Serenoa, Frederica, The Hyzante Beard Spear guy whose name I cannot remember right now, and Benedict are standouts.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

In Chapter XV, I did not go with Roland on either of my playthroughs, so I think I am missing a part of the picture of Glenbrook. By all accounts, based on how Roland and Serenoa talk about Hyzante and Aesfrost, inequality is horrible in Glenbrook. We just never see how the commoners live because we're always rolling with the aristocracy. Both townspeople and leaders are impressed that Serenoa seems to actual care

Really, each nation has horrible inequality, just manifested in different ways:

-Aesfrost: might equal right. Pros: This means the strongest can rise up the ranks, like Avlora or Groma, and take/are given power to match their strength. Cons: The weak suffer, and those not "worthy" don't get opportunity, the arts are probably non-existent. And if your skill is not considered helpful to improving the Duchy, then you go away, no books for you. Hypocrisy: The Duchy leadership is made up of brothers, a sister and an uncle.

-Hyzante: Belief equals right. Pros: If you believe in the Goddess, you are considered equal and will be treated fairly. Cons: You HAVE to believe in the Goddess. Otherwise, you're a heretic and should burn. Magically. Hypocrisy: *gestures wildly to the Roselle*

-Glenbrook: Birth equals right. Pros: If you are born into the aristocracy, you have it made, even if you are a total failson. Cons: Born a serf, remain a serf. Sure, you might get as high as being part of the royal guard--but you're still just a soldier. Allows for an insane amount of corruption among the higher classes. Hypocrisy: In this narrative, none, because the corruption is baked in.

Reik posted:

So, thinking about it now there's no weapon triangle or anything in the game, does the name just reference the three routes/nations?
The three points are the three nations, with House Wolffort right in the middle of it all. They're loyal to the crown, but, as the game points out many times, they have and could change allegiances at any time.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 22, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Didn't Three Houses not even have a real weapon triangle anymore?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I streamed the first two chapters of the game yesterday on New Game ++. I started on Hard. The opening attack, Roland gets hit for a little over half his health with Trish's opening attack. The battle ended with me only taking out maybe 2 of the bandits. Always nice to lose horribly to an audience... ("I swear, other people have the same issue with this battle!")

I dropped down to normal. Made some dumb mistakes, wound up beating the battle with just Benedict, Geela, and Frederica--and only because Trish's AI broke. The first battle is VERY poorly tuned on hard and New Game+. Yikes.

Meanwhile, I absolutely slaughtered everyone in the next fight and lost no one. Guess I'll be going back to hard....

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Just got Groma. Wish I had gotten her sooner. She's fun.

Her Weapon Skill is okay, but looks fantastic. I like that they namedrop her at the beginning of the game, so you think she's just some old, dead general...

Prowler
May 24, 2004

And there are several of them, up to level 47(?) I think, with varying scenarios and objectives.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Man what the gently caress? We just wrecked the Aesfrost army and we let them retreat and regroup so they can attack house Falkes? Why cant we immediately go ally with that house and join forces and just liberate Glenbrook? This sucks.

Instead we have to go to the sniveling worthless house that no one has a good feeling about. How contrived.

You didn't "crush" their army, it's specifically stated that there were terrible losses on both sides and your soldiers needed time to recuperate just as much as Aesfrost did.

Edit: Even if it weren't explained in-universe, there's a difference between fighting a defensive battle and and offensive battle. Sieging a castle with an exhausted army would be a bad idea and likely just result losing more forces, not victory.

Edit 2: As for why they didn't immediately join up at Wolffort Castle, yeah, contrived.

Edit 3: But, then, if Falkes was left undefended, etc. etc.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Cephas posted:

I feel like one of the problems with that section is that the game says "house wolffort's soldiers faced terrible losses and are exhausted," but it's like... House Wolffort's forces? You mean Benedict, Anna, Eredor, and this circus girl I adopted? The game doesn't do a great job of visualizing the fact that Wolffort supposedly has an army of generic soldiers. All you really see are your own crew and like 4 town guards.

needed a scene of Avlora taking out a squad of Wolffort soldiers to sell that plot beat better.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree, and it's always been that feeling going into games like this (although FE3H represents in an interesting way). But the game at least tells you why in a mandatory scene right after the battle.

Falkes does get the poo poo end of the stick, but I would be lying if I said I didn't expect it. And one look at Silvio's art tells you all you need to know about him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just got to Roland's decision in chapter 17 and holy poo poo Roland just might be The Dumbest Motherfucker Ever (TM)

I guess he's young and inexperienced but like after all this time seeing that pretty much everyone in the world is a cartoonish piece of poo poo villain you can't ever trust, how do you come to what is one of the worst possible decisions?

I've thought about it, and it makes sense in a number of ways. In non-spoilers: Roland has middle child syndrome (or, really, in this case, 2nd prince syndrome). All his life, he has known that he will never become king. No one expects anything out of him, and that, in part has festered as a very low concept of himself--low self-esteem and etc. His life, more or less, doesn't matter--the king's life matters, then his brother's, then his.

Suddenly, his life is one of the most important in the land, and people are dying for him. He seems to have at least mild survivor's guilt, immediately tries to forfeit his life to Aesfrost, etc. Once you retake the capital--after fighting so hard for something he clearly doesn't really want--you learn that people are rejecting him as king, royalists are plotting against him, and a few other things that get mentioned in a path I didn't take. Meanwhile, he implicitly trusts Serenoa, who is one of the Holy 7 or whatever, and thinks the country would be better in Hyzante's hands than his own since at least Serenoa will have a part in it. The worst and weirdest choice would have been to work with the country that killed his family.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

NGL I was really hoping that Lyla would be a recruit if I played buddy buddy with the Saintly Seven. Similar to Avlora in that respect. I mean I guess we got the dancer lady as the Hyzante defector but it would be cool if Lyla or Kamsell would be recruitable if you successfully did the investigation into Sorsley.

But that would require either of them to recognize that things in Hyzante aren't that great, which I don't think either of them do.

I would love the skill that she has--it is an (arguably) more useful version of (conviction recruit spoiler) Quahaug's stop all ability. But I'll settle for a five-panel, 100% accuracy, 1-turn temptation. (Gotta love enemies wasting a turn not only damaging their allies, but also expending their TP in the process).

Edit: Whoops, forgot the closing spoiler tag. :D

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Either there's a bug, or there's a weird decision regarding speed and initial turns in battle. It turns out that maybe your weapon and accessory bonus doesn't factor in.

First three turns in this battle on the ally side:

1. Anna: 29
2. Spoiler1: 28
3. Spoiler2: 33 (27*)

*Spoiler2 has a speed amulet (2 speed) and all three levels of weapon speed up (+4, edit: +5). So... 33-7=26.

Making vanguard scarf even more useful if you're trying to set something up.

Edit: math wrong based on wrong data, but the point remains.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 25, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nick Buntline posted:

You can definitely change initial turn order around with speed equips, but it's not one to one - characters/enemies seem to have some inherent staggering based on (as far as I can tell) base speed and difficulty. Most I've seen it do is moving people in the latter half up towards the middle.

Natural 20 posted:

Opening speed has a different formula to turn speed.

It is affected by speed but it doesn't match it.

Benedict for example has a higher opening speed than Julio but if you give Julio +3 speed he opens earlier.

You can engineer this pretty exactly if you know what you're doing.

I figured there was more, but didn't think there were this many exceptions! I only recently started paying closer attention since most of my squad is level 50, so their stats rarely change.

It's actually a perfect opportunity to upgrade someone's strength and see the attack difference...

Prowler fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 25, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Anyone know how Rite of Thunderstorms calculates accuracy? There are several variables to check, but it seems directly correlated to enemy dodge. Just to test it out, I gave her a spice to increase her accuracy; it didn't appear to increase the hit rate for any of her targets.

Hardly conclusive, though. Anyone know how to increase its accuracy?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Huxley posted:

To be fair, "We are all aware slavery is evil but it would be politically inconvenient to do anything about it right THIS second, but perhaps one day down the road ... or maybe it'll sort itself out," is a position with a fair bit of historical precedent.

I just finished the Hyzante route, and oh boy Frederica definitely went in on this line of reasoning on my behalf (seriously, Serenoa)? I like that, in this route, you get hints about how to handle Svarog, the story makes it clear that you're enabling the church to be even worse, and almost no one aside from Serenoa and Roland seem to think it's a good idea. And, yep, dissidents are immediately thrown in prison work camps.

Basically, any choice related to selling [out] the Roselle makes you feel like a piece of poo poo for doing so, and it's hilarious.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I appreciate that they did a lot of work to make each route fairly unique and sensical in the end. And you don't have to be a terrible rear end in a top hat to get the golden route/good ending. Tactics Ogre, for as much as I love it, the first decision in that game, which is between slaughtering an entire town of people at the behest of your leader because they refuse to join your cause (and will be used to frame the opposition army), or disobey, and be on the run for a while. . Choosing the former puts you on the path to the best possible ending, though there are a million other mechanics that can prevent you from getting the best ending after that point.

I bet the vast majority of people went with the Chaos route because of that choice. Similar to voting between giving up Roland or protecting him--I'm sure most people choose to protect him.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I've come around on the music more. Combat - Destiny is an all time great track.

It is definitely my favorite track in the game. I'm a sucker for it because it feels like it could play before Goku going super saiyan for the first time, lol.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Really, Decimal plus "name your gimmick" is probably the most boom for your buck. Stop time charges his TP. Most of the time, you'll be hitting more than two targets--sometimes the entire map if you're cheeky about elevation. No charge time required!

Rite of Thunderstorms setups are fun, but inefficient.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Stop goes through everything and can't be cleared.

Technically, Quahaug can clear Stop. (Or, rather, make it so it never hit in the first place.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

Doesn't supplant Tactics as the best, but it's probably better than Fell Seal. Maybe not gameplay wise, but total experience was better. Very solid though.

Am I correct in guessing you haven't played Tactics Ogre? This game has a lot more in common with Tactics Ogre than Final Fantasy Tactics.

Edit: And, this may be blasphemy, but I think Tactics Ogre is a better overall package than FFT, while FFT is more fun overall.

Edit: Namely:
1. Multiple paths
2. Multiple endings
3. Path specific characters
4. Terrain matters a lot--it can be burned, frozen, etc. It modifies stats, hit rates, movement penalties, etc.
5. Archers get a significant advantage in range from height.
6. A terminally stupid best friend (well, depends on the path)
7. Transforming battlefields (I think this may be only in the PSP remake and The Knight of Lodis only: rivers flood with rain and etc.)
8. Ability to affect the weather, weather has an impact on various mechanics (e.g. archer accuracy).

All things that aren't found in FFT. I am pretty sure there's more, but yeah, I view this as more influenced by TO than FFT.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 5, 2022