Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm ok with it. Though it doesn't say much about the game really. Either way, March isn't that far away. Looking forward to playing the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

Not liking the voice acting but it looks great otherwise.

Ace Transmuter posted:

The British-accented characters sound fine, but every American-accented character sounds flat

Watching the trailer I kept thinking how much better it would sound if they went the FFXII route of British accents all the way through. The voice acting isn't really doing much for so hopefully it can be turned off (or has a volume slider I can set to 0).

The game has me super pumped otherwise.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I would go bananas for a new Ogre game. 64 is slept on a lot, probably because the OG is the best but it did some really cool stuff. Personally I'd like to see less obfuscation of stuff like Chaos Frame but that is part of the charm tbh.

I've been really hungry for a deep, well written SRPG since the combination is few and far between so I'm optimistic about Triangle Strategy. It needs to be March already.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Final Demo available today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhTJ-Evv_U

Looks like it goes through Chapter 3 and save data transfers.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Yeah, if nothing else I have no worries that some evil demon dragon will pop out suddenly and be revealed to be secretly behind everything bad happening (including the previous human antagonists).

If only because the only real supernatural thing there that isn't just "Person can use magic" is the whole Heirophant deal, and there are several ways that could shake out (Is it a guy who actually talks to the goddess? Is he just a regular guy bullshitting for power?)

I mean, even Tactics Ogre did the "Magic Final Boss" despite having distinct L/C/N routes. It's kind of a staple of these games for the most part.

I do hope there's a "Golden path" you can achieve at some point but I am also perfectly ok with each path being it's own combination of give and take regarding characters and storylines and such.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

whichever path lets you recruit the most women is the good path. i will use grrrl power to crush my enemies.

Army Name: The Lady Killers.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

The english dub is still pretty bad, but thankfully I have masked "Dio Brand" man to cope with me

There is a voice volume setting you can set to 0. Frankly I think it makes the game a lot better combined with setting text speed to Fast. There are some decent voice actors but the direction sounds like maybe they got the guy from FFXIII or something. It's not great.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 10, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ace Transmuter posted:

I, for one, enjoy having more units on the battlefield than the typical FFT/NI-faire. 5-6 just doesn't quite allow for more intricate and tactical battles.

Agreed - TO was like, 10? Makes the battles feel bigger (because they are).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

I'm not surprised but I am a little disappointed that Frederica is already getting hit with the "Mary Sue" label in some circles

I mean, I love this because I can safely discount anything this person is going to say next. Almost no one who uses this on the internet actually knows what it means and that tells me the couldn't cobble together salient criticism if they tried.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Uhh she's almost exactly the opposite of that.

Yeah, you can safely ignore people who say that. "Mary Sue" morphed into "Woman I do not like" for most of these folks. They do not understand what it means or how to use the phrase properly.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

After reading people's opinions of the demo in other places it's weird that there's people who apparently like playing SRPGs, but hate everything about SRPGs.

It feels like people want some idealized version in they had in their heads about FFT rather than what the game actually was. Triangle Strategy seems to be exactly what we've been shown so far so who knows?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WrightOfWay posted:

Despite being a relatively small genre, there is a lot of variety in SRPGs mechanically and not everything is going to appeal to everybody.

Yeah that's true. I don't particularly care for the Disgaea brand of SRPG but I get what appeals to other people.

My only real concern for Triangle Strategy is how deep it ends up being by the end. Octopath seemed really cool at first but felt really shallow once I dug into it a bit. I hope this is more Tactics Ogre style where your choices change your story path. It could be that all the morality/value stuff just determines who stays in your army by the end of a linear story.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think the voice acting would track a lot better if they weren't reading pseudo-old english style dialog. If voice direction is going to point everyone in a contemporary direction, then they need to be reading contemporary dialog. Everyone is just so flat regardless of the quality of their voices tbh. I'm kind of thinking of turning the voice acting entirely off and just using my imagination.

I said it in this or another thread, but everyone sounds like a bored high school drama class trying for Shakespeare.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 28, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

My copy shipped!

oh dang! will you get it early? I read the game has leaked and I've been avoiding spoilers but holy hell I wanna play it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I turned the voices fully off and it's been gravy.

I did too and I think it's the way I'll play.

I wonder how grindy the game will be overall. I've gotten everyone to level 5 in the demo and upgraded a couple of weapons but both resources and money seem very lean early on. I hope drops become a little more frequent as the game goes on. Makes me wonder how important Luck is given it's an upgrade node on many weapons.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Huxley posted:

I got to the end of the demo and did the two "in your imagination" fights in the tent but only got one or two characters to 5. Was there more demo I missed somewhere or are those two tent fights repeatable for XP?

Yeah they show a checkmark for completion but you can just redo them regardless. I ground them a bit while watching TV and it felt like it went really fast tbh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Huxley posted:

Thanks! I'll probably do them 2-3 times more each just to get some more game. I'm telling myself I'm going to hold off on impressions, hoping that once we're out of the prologue the talking:fighting ratio gets a little more fighty. But I'll probably just end up grabbing it Friday no matter what.

Famitsu review indicated it stays pretty talky, but were very warm on both the combat and the story. The game has leaked at this point so you may be able to find some local impressions if you're willing to risk spoilers (I'm not).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah I'm not at all surprised by it or turned off by it but I guess some folks want more battles in their games (which is fine).

I finally purchased my copy today after maxing out the demo to my satisfaction. Looking forward to losing some time to it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Reviews are hitting and confirming that's very story heavy. Every review seems to warn of that specifically. Lots of branches too. I don't often play through games more than once but this one may get me.

Battles support up to 10 units too, so sounds like some of them are big. Some reviews talk about 30+ combatants in later battles.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 3, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching the GameXplain review and they xplained that your actions in battle can have consequences in the story. For example, at one point in the game you can blow up a dam to make the battle easier, but it floods the city, which is reflected in the story afterwards. That's a cool way of doing morality based decisions!

I'm glad they maintained this. The OG Demo had that decision to Set fire to the town in a battle to save Roland and that had major consequences too. I was hoping it wasn't just a one-off.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

glassyalabolas posted:

Each unit has upgrades. Class and weapons. Weapons have different bonuses.

That said, early upgrades seem super boring. Weapon levels have upgrades contained within them, and you can also upgrade the weapon itself. Weapon level caps out at 3. Each rank has it's own row of upgrades, but they are items like +1 STR or +10 HP. You can choose the order of these upgrades but each successive one gets more expensive in terms of materials. Nothing that seems super critical or influences your build by any stretch.

Classes can also upgrade once they attain a certain exp level and you have "Medal" item. Apparently these are rare (according to the game). Classes rank up and look different visually and gain access to new skills. There is no choice in promotion. It's a straight 1 > 2 > 3 thing.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 3, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mezzanon posted:

I've finished the demo and have everyone almost at level 5, so I'm just hoping this unlocks at midnight. It's going to be tough not just marathoning this game, but I'm going to try and take my time.

It sounds like it rewards multiple playthroughs so go nuts.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I've been reading some character recruitment is strictly based on your conviction points. Some folks who ground the demo reported recruitment missions popping right away.

I've also been reading that on New Game + (mechanical spoilers) You can actually view your 3 alignment points and it also tells you what thresholds you need to reach to recruit characters. That's a pretty cool feature IMO.

Junpei posted:

It feels like there's too much set-up to use the elemental magic environment effects unless they're explicitly a part of the map's gimmick/focus

Like, you'd have to have Corentin freeze tiles and then Frederica melt them so the electricity caster can shock people in control/standard conditions and that's just a bit much

There are later characters who don't need this level of setup to benefit. There is a character who Can make it rain on the map then cast lightning spells to exploit the water. Early on I never tried to do combos like that because like you said, it feels like a bit of a waste of time.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 4, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gonkish posted:

How is this game, goons? I was interested in it because FFT is... one of the best games ever made, and this is giving me strong FFT vibes.

It's political in the way that FFT is political, but the combat system is way more balanced for better or worse. I never feel like I have the chance to cheese enemies but tactical choices matter a lot. It's difficult to out level your enemies due to diminishing returns on exp when there's a level difference. The game is good IMO. It has a ridiculous level of polish and despite some of the most dire voice acting in a long rear end while, everything else is firing on all cylinders. The dialog written well, it's just directed by babby's first voice director (I hope) and makes FFXIII look like a masterclass in VA.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saxophone posted:

So play it like a true FFT successor with voices off?

The sad thing is that there are some voice actors who totally fit! The narrator is very fitting, and King Regna sounds like he's reading to the material. But yeah, that's how I'm playing and other than a lack of battle voices it's good.

I hear the Japanese track is good too but no voices has worked fine for me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a Japanese voice track. (I think the English voices are fine.)

I'm sure the voices are fine, sure, but most of the material is somewhat flowery (think FFXII) and everyone is reading it as flat as a bored high school English class in the US. My girlfriend (who isn't a gamer at all) walked through the room and was like "Gosh, they just sound so enthusiastic!" sarcastically. Very few of them are rising to the material.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 4, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Counterpoint: Drunk Dragan.

Also I die a little inside whenever someone has Erador move, and then engage Sprint after he's used his 'move action'. Use Sprint first and then he can get into position easier!

Drunk Dragan is still pretty bad but he's an entertaining bad. I give lots of points for that.

Erador is a pretty great unit tbh. His Provoke does double duty - any enemy unit inflicted with Fury not only attacks him but also wont use any abilities. Awesome for mages and archers IMO. Sprint is pretty great for getting into position too, you're right. He's often the target for Julio's TP skills for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The more I play the more I like the utility characters. The chapter 7 map for defending Roland is so much easier when you can trap narrow walkways, or set oil on fire (not the traps, but the items). I remembered about Quieteseses or whatever in the battle and the one that can just straight up end an enemy turn is great for the boss unit. Anna feels a bit more disposable given how much better it seems to slow/stop enemies. Yeah she can set up two follow ups a round but being able to stop a group of a few enemies feels like it has more value, at least early on.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

McTimmy posted:

Took two attempts to defend Wolffort without the contraption. Geela tanking Avlora was not how I envisioned the winning move to be. Didn't seem to get any extra dialogue for beating her with Roland though.

It's super cool to win without using the traps but it feels like such a let down that there are no extra rewards for doing so. All the non-burned houses have people that say "Thanks!" but it feels like a missed opportunity to not put resources in them. Kinda bummed me out. Great opportunity for an extra Medal of Bravery or something.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 6, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Natural 20 posted:

I'd say strategically the big thing in this game to think about how you can create a force advantage through positioning.

For example, on the chapter VI map there are two paths you can take around. If you split your forces to deal with it, the map becomes a lot harder, but if you just dump everything you have up one path, take that front down and then let the second path reinforce into you, you'll have a much easier time.

This is why I love traps. Enemies will try to avoid them (unless they just can't). You can force enemies to move in ways you prefer and if they do hit a trap then they take damage and lose a turn. Bosses probably take more damage from traps than anything else. I've been playing with a ranged/magic heavy team that retreats over traps. Basically just mine the way you came from and any pursuers that come at you from weird angles take care of themselves.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lobster Maneuver posted:

I beat chapter 7 without using the statues by funneling the enemies with traps. Erador's bash combined with traps allowed my snipers and mages enough time to plink off HP.

There are a few maps where it just doesn't work. Chapter 9 Arena battle (if you deliver the salt to Aesfrost and don't reveal Roland) is one of them. The area is too small and you're exposed on turn 1 so shove attacks are at a higher premium. Otherwise they are a mainstay for me combined with setting oil on fire or doing rain/lightning attacks. Enemies move the way I say, dammit!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

mandatory lesbian posted:

How many chapters are there? Looking for a general sense of time, not heavy spoilers

I've read anywhere between 19-21 depending on the path but I can't confirm. I'm on Chapter 11 now. So far I've spent 20+ hours but I spend a lot of extra time doing mock battles because combat is fun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Scrap Dragon posted:

The actual game definitely feels way harder than the demo. In the demo I was able to beat the version of chapter where you defend Roland with no casualties and no houses burned with minimal trouble but I'm getting absolutley washed at that chapter in the real game

There are some battles that defy normal tactics and are definitely way harder, but yeah the game does seem to have more teeth than the demo for me. Leaving any character exposed can be a death sentence. I had a map in Chapter 11? 12? Where I h ad the perfect high ground, had all my archers and trappers ready to defend it but didn't realize I had a suicidal NPC in my ranks that completely blew all that out of the water. Thankfully I realized about halfway through I had the Quietus that allows you to teleport a friendly unit up to 8 squares away. I used it to dump him behind a building on the back side of the map and it took him about 10 turns to come back out thankfully.

I'm having to train myself to use the Quietus tbh. Some of them are really good and as far as I can tell they are also the only way to revive downed units once you get the ones that do.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Another refreshing thing coming from Fire Emblem is that all of the archers kick rear end-Hughette is a great disabler who can just immediately get to a high position, and Archibald kick serious rear end, he does so much damage at such ludicrous ranges.

Rudolph is no slouch either if you have him. His traps are awesome utility on tougher maps, but he has an ability called Straight Shot which fucks. He can also put enemies to sleep with high damage arrow shots after promotion. I haven't messed with Archibald much unfortunately because his movement is so low. But since his shots do more damage at range he's kind of amazing if you can get him into position with the Quietus that lets you move anywhere within like 8 squares.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just picked up another tank (chapter 13 spoilers) Who rides a hawk! Not sure he's a great choice to draw damage since archers would eat him up but he has some interesting stuff. Not sure if I'll be able to fit him in or not but he's got a cool voice and sprite.

I'm just kind of running around willy nilly trusting my gut for choices but some of them have played out differently than I thought from how they were described. I'll probably do at least one more playthrough to fill out the chart. I think there are something like 4 endings.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Flanagan is more of a bruiser/disrupter for dive bombing into the backlines. Their taunt is single target and doesn't always land.

Erador is THE tank, but Groma has a good taunt and can act as an evasion/counter off tank.

Erador's is hit or miss for me too, but at least it's AoE. On maps with any elevation at all he tends to be a pusherbot to send folks to their deaths. Provoke has been the best possible way to lock down mages though (when it lands).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Good news! You can turn off permadeath in the newer FE games. It makes the game significantly less stressful. I think they only keep it around because it’s a staple of the series.

Yeah I haven't played a Fire Emblem without Casual mode on since it was introduced. Permadeath is not my thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Chapter 13/14 - I chose the "infiltrate the castle route" Roland suggested. I ended up in a fight with the Thalas on a ship that Erika joined as reinforcements halfway through. Really satisfying to dust them off. The second battle was against Avlora in the courtyard of the castle. Ezana was my MVP - made it rain then just kept shocking the water as at least half the army was in there at any time. 50/50 they got paralyzed from the AoE current through the water. Picoletta joined in throwing thunderstones in on her turns. It was one of those battles that just felt really good to fight.

Just some thoughts, so far:

One thing I've noticed and kinda hate is that enemies are always faster than the bulk of your characters. There's just nothing you can do outside of hoping you get more Vanguard Scarves I guess.

I'm growing really attached to my normal army crew but I want to change it up in NG+. Hossabara is a great melee unit that can play backup healer. She's strong and can use pushback. I have her equipped with a regen item and that Black Anklet that raises all stats but poisons so they mostly counteract eachother (aside from the first turn since regen takes place first). Rudolph just plain fucks. Traps that do % damage and kill enemy turns, a sleep shot arrow that hits HARD and sleeps enemies. He needs more movement/speed though so I have him with a speed ring and movement item equipped. Picoletta is kind of amazing for how lovely she is. Enemies just plain beeline for her decoy drawing fire and if they kill it, it explodes doing damage to everything around. Attack items are good too (see the spoiler). Erador hasn't left my group since the battle he joined. He's tanky and his weapon art makes him literally invincible and taunts everything around him. Plus he also has pushback. Jens is a great utility character (but hits like a wet noodle). His traps can really jack up enemy troops at elevation and his ladder is great for funneling enemies into traps they can't get out of.

I think there are a lot of ways to play since the game is generally more "balanced" than most of this type. I do like the power fantasy of other SRPGs but this game manages to make every unit relevant in their own way and there are fun synergies between characters. I suspect my next playthrough's army will look significantly different.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zerilan posted:

Played up to chapter 5 on a friend's copy. Still mulling over a purchase. About how long is one run looking? I know there's multiple routes but not sure if I'd go for 100% this game or not because in long games especially I don't really like pushing through on story choices I find really lovely, although I guess with the way this game works I might be stuck on an option I don't like if my conviction points are too low to convince enough people?

I'm at around 40 hours and maybe 3/4 of the way through the game. I have never failed to convince one person to choose my selected path. Your conviction points matter but so do your conversation options. You need to remember that you're talking with the characters, not to them - they have opinions and you have to know what they'll respond to. On a first playthrough it feels very organic IMO.

Bear in mind almost all cutscenes can be skipped so NG+ doesn't need to be nearly as long if you don't want it to be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Oof, Chapter 16 spoilers Roland's path, I assume. I'm in the Norzelia mines having to navigate mine cart bullshit while also trying to defuse bombs enemies drop. You have 70 turns (each character movement counts as a turn) and they lay them all over the damned place. The only cool thing is the tracks seem like they also carry electrical current so your Lightning mages/thunderstone tossers can get some work done at long range

It's not the most fun of maps tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I actually like Hossabarra. She's not a great healer for me yet, but her stick whaps mooks good.

The person I don't care for is the item tossing medic. Double toss is fine, but that's all she does. She can waste an antidote poisoning people but she's hard to level and all I'm doing is burning through my potions.

I wish that drat store would restock already.

Hossabara is never really a good healer, but it's nice to have a backup when things go south. Her thing is hitting hard and pushback IMO.

Item lady is pretty fantastic if you get her ranked/leveled up for TP Physic. She's a better TP battery than Julio IMO (other than his buff that comes with the 1TP skill).

So I'm done with my first playthrough and while I like the game, I don't think it will ever be considered a classic. It's good and polished and has some great ideas but there's nothing really to play with. You'll never build a calculator that can take down entire maps or dual wielding ninjas who can tear rear end through the battlefield. The balance is such that you never really make any real choices mechanically. You can spend resources on this +1 STR or +1 DEF or whatever. It's just kind of shallow from that perspective. Enemies are always, ALWAYS stronger than your guys too. By the end of the game, 1v1 fights will almost never end in your favor on even Normal.

That said I liked the story, I loved how it handled branching paths, it's super pretty and has a great soundtrack. But I just don't see it being played over and over like FFT or TO or whatever. There's just not any real depth there. Character rogression is just kind of boring.

I still really recommend it. Very few of those flaws are apparent on a first playthrough unless you think about it too much. It's nice to see an SRPG with a budget doing what it do.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 9, 2022