Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ICR posted:

Kross is heavy into QANon stuff so yeah, he has to get a push in this company.

Wait, does that mean Scarlett's into that crap too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Botches and miscues are part of the chaotic WCW energy of AEW and I'll take some groaners from green/raw talent over the WWE style where everyone wrestles the exact same match over and over again.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eat My Fuc posted:

The Nash tweet before the 2016 election where he’s like “as an experiment I wore a Trump shirt today expecting ridicule and everyone was just super happy and excited to see it, Hillary isn’t a sure bet we’re in trouble”. Nash is hilariously galaxy brained but I think a genuinely funny and cool guy overall.

Nash is Chris Jericho in reverse: a selfish rear end in a top hat within the wrestling business and a good dude outside of it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jesus WEP posted:

Aren’t the Nemeths Ryan and Dolph both known for being exceptionally well-liked by everyone backstage, and that’s kinda why they both get more chances than others with similar talent might?

Ryan showed up in AEW specifically to do a nice thing for Amanda Huber, so it certainly seems that way in his case. Not sure about Dolph.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

in hindsight JD Drake has very strong Small Town League Bowler energy

Yeah it does not surprise me in the least that he's a league bowler.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vagabundo posted:

There's no need to speculate what the WWE would have done, because we all know what they did - they fired him during a loving pandemic and left him stranded in the USA, loving him over royally.

Every single person in management at the WWE should literally loving die horribly, the callous shits.

They also refused to help Cesar get a proper visa when he worked there, telling him he didn't need one and he'd be fine. My guess is that they wanted his lack of visa as leverage over him, since they also paid him like poo poo. It's loving gross and I'm glad AEW is treating him right.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

Not exactly; Cezar and his wife were both legally in the country on proper visas. He was on a WWE work visa, but his wife was on whatever kind of "spouse of someone on a work visa" visa is standard. Since she couldn't legally get a job on that visa and they were told by his employers to avoid the local Brazillian community, this resulted in her sitting alone by herself all day while Cezar was training at the Performance Center. So after a while—remember, he was there for four and a half years—Cezar was like "I've been here for years, could you please sponsor my wife and I for green cards so she can at least get a job?" And WWE refused for no real reason, presumably because they wanted to exert further control over him.

Thanks for clarifying! I'd missed that it was Cesar's wife who needed sponsorship and not Cesar himself. And man, gently caress WWE for that bullshit. Glad Cesar got out of there.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dacap posted:

Good Brothers were def the anonymous people who regretted turning down an AEW deal.

They're openly the people who regretted turning down an AEW deal.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HidaO-Win posted:

There is a vocal section of the fandom that wants wrestlers particularly heels to be more like the old days; to stop breaking kayfabe on twitter, to have a legitimate football background, ideally with some combat sports credentials, to be legitimately big, to wrestle a slower style, to do no high spots, to really aggravate the audience rather than being a cool heel.

They then get really mad if you point out they have described Baron Corbin.

Corbin would be tolerable if he had any natural charisma at all, but alas.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

He has been Dr. Luther since FMW in 1993, but used a few other names depending on the promotion through 2000. He was the Atomic Punk, Lenny, etc. But he has been Luther reliably for 20 years.

But originally in FMW he was going to be Hannibal Luther but they ditched the Hannibal and gave that to someone else.

Another Canadian guy (Steve Gillespie, I think?) got the name Dr. Hannibal so he could team with Luther and take pins.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Replace JR with Julius Smokes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

If Cody wants to feud with his personal assistant in the midcard and bring some new people onto AEW television in so doing, I'm fine with it. I do want to see Ogogo beat the dogshit out of him so something about it is working.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Eh, a good bit of that Pride month shirt money is going to the National Center for Transgender Equality, so it's less of a corporate cash grab than a lot of other, similar gestures would be. I'm okay with Cody being extra if it's for charity.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

so Gabe was getting her in illegally

If I recall correctly, she got stuck with a 5 year ban the same way Speedball did, but I think bigger companies are hesitant to bring her in now because she's had multiple strokes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

season 3, they made a second season that was noticeably not as funny as the first because the writing crew got their hands on it

The second season had its moments, namely Tex and Chad hootin' and hollerin' in a cornfield and Nattie Neidhart promising to "beat the living PISS" out of an opponent they forgot to book.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

stab posted:

This is from the tryout class they signed by boys Everrise from right?

Probably. I think Will Hobbs was in that same tryout class.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I can't tell if Drake is grifting or if CTE has officially scrambled his brain. Same thing happened to Necro Butcher.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

He is 100% not grifting he is a true believer.

Yeah, I think he's too dumb to grift; he doesn't seem to be getting anything out of it beyond alienating people and losing his job.

bartok posted:

Plus I assume both are recovering addicts. Nothing wrong with turning to a higher power if it helps you quit opioids but I've known several recovering addicts that got really into the QAnon bullshit.

I'm fine with the finding religion part, it's the sharp pivot towards being racist from both guys that makes me sad. It sucks watching someone's brain deteriorate in real time like that, especially if they turn into Trump/QAnon freaks as a result.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Seams posted:

I’ve always liked Taz but I don’t recall him ruling this much before

AEW has revitalized him in a pretty major way!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

idk maybe Drake should shut the gently caress up and just look after his own kids. He protests so loudly it sounds like deflection(a tactic used by his favorite president).

I imagine CTE is making most of Drake's decisions these days. It sucks, and he'll probably never get the help/treatment he needs because he's being such an rear end in a top hat.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

This is true, Jack's bizarre antiscientific views are "I can rotate seven times before hitting the canvas" rather than "vaccines install microchips in your balls", which is a big step up.

I mean, he can rotate seven times before hitting the canvas, it's just that he hits the canvas forehead-first.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Sticky Nate posted:

Bononi is an outsider and works like a performance center guy. The second he takes a light tube to the head he'll be cheered.

I kinda feel bad for him because he wasn't trained well to start and NXT didn't help, but he clearly wants to improve and will do just about any goofy thing asked of him. Hopefully he doesn't get too discouraged since this was probably his first American indie booking.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

bully ray will say that but also concern troll on his radio show about some extremely minute detail that nobody has ever even bothered to criticize about a wrestling TV show that will inevitably spell disaster for AEW if it isn't immediately rectified

But enough about Bryan Alvarez.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The best part about the PBR ad on Dynamite is that Nick Gage, of all people, is responsible for it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KungFu Grip posted:

look at this food !!

I'd eat this, but bear in mind that I have clinical depression.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kvantum posted:

Point. Let me revise that statement a bit:

"He was married to someone who showed up in a couple of episodes of 'My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding'."

As far as I know, her family is Romani and her entire gimmick is rebelling against all the patriarchal bullshit she grew up around.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

This feels like the key. HHH has never been 'the guy' no matter how much hanging around Shawn or putting himself with Austin or having his own Four Horsemen in Evolution he did. Even on top it doesn't feel like anybody respects him, not that I think he's done a lot to earn it.

More than that, it's very obvious that HHH wants desperately to be "the guy," and it came off forced and cringey even when he was drawing money. Eventually he became "the guy" because everyone else left and he was booking, but he never had the natural rapport with fans that Austin, Rock, and Foley had.

Like, Cody Rhodes is a dork but he comes at it from a somewhat more relatable place (a guy who quit WWE and invested in himself to find success on his own terms) and he's at least dimly aware that he's a dork. HHH doesn't have that going for him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

smarxist posted:

i guess this is what she posted to become the main character of wrestlernet today:

Well she's right that making wrestlers work for free when they're new is bullshit, but holy poo poo is she a loving moron in every other respect.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lumbermouth posted:

It is BAFFLING that she is bragging about spending $40,000 on wrestling training.

Especially since it's very likely she's lying about it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

smarxist posted:

if BBT has any brains, he'll hire a camera crew to be on them 24/7 and cut it into a web series, there's too much loving gold there

Especially if Shida is their wacky neighbor.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KENTA's last AEW appearance was as part of a ridiculous Memphis-rear end brawl that he definitely didn't phone in, so I think he'll be fine.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Stall_19 posted:

Why would they get bad publicity for this? I don't ever remember her having any contact with wwe

WWE has made it a point to be synonymous with modern wrestling, so any bad publicity that wrestling gets splashes back on them to some degree.

edit: welp beaten to this exact point but yeah WWE sucks and plays favorites with whose medical/mental health issues they take seriously.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Stall_19 posted:

Jake Atlas seemed to have a good experience with it.

https://twitter.com/kennymarquez/status/1433563709943730176

I'm glad he did, but again, WWE plays favorites with poo poo like this. All abusive organizations do.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

literally Maki Itoh's gimmick to most westerners before she showed up in AEW

Luckily her AEW matches confirmed that she is in fact the perfect wrestler.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Duke Pukem posted:

I enjoy the crowds reaction particularly after emi does one of her chops. They are no joke

They're the nastiest chops in the company. Before the women's title tournament I had no idea she could hit that hard. Queen Emi rules.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

boxcarhobo posted:

he only does that when he is deeply distressed, there were probably young lions laid out all through the now arena after that

Tay is a murder machine though so perhaps he was just happy to have found someone who destroys people with as much glee as he does.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

She was planning on going out back in 2018/19. Her back is pretty messed up.

Wait, seriously? You'd never know it from watching her in the ring, especially now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

She'd be walking around with a cane before and after matches where she'd be pulling out wild poo poo. I always wondered how much it was real, but Akki randomly vented to me that he wished she would take it easier when I was buying a T-shirt from him once.

Aw man, I would have never known from her movement and range of motion. It's sweet that everyone around Emi cares about/respects her so much.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

KungFu Grip posted:

Max uses they/them pronouns but I agree.

Max the Impaler rules! They're only 3 years in so who knows, they might end up in AEW one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He ain't wrong. If Hobbs doesn't do something incredibly stupid outside the ring, he ought to be a huge star in the future.

It hasn't escaped my notice that a lot of people in wrestling across multiple companies see something in Hobbs.