Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
you're a brave man Bob - I've never had the want to paint a car because of the insane amount of work - because of this, I only have ever had one car painted and that was my Nova when I was 16-17 and from that day forward I pretty much made up my mind that I never wanted to go thru that hassle and intense money spend ever again.

Re: Maaco: as you said, it really depends on the shop and its rep, in the 80's and 90's Maaco and other production paint shops started buying up independent shops and doing a franchise kind of thing - my local Maaco was actually an Earl Schieb when I was a youngster, and according to old timers, it was the place to go from the 50s-70s.

However here in car mecca, there are still some production shops that aren't under the bubble of the big name corporate titles - Back when someone rear ended my Cadillac, a goon who was a writer at a really big production shop came to the rescue and my caddy was fixed among high end insurance jobs - bmw, benz, audi, lexus... they all send their claims there (still to this day I owe him big time - Thanks Andrew!) If I was to ever do a car again, I think this would be the route I'd go

I dealt with another guy who worked at one of these shops, it was so shady, we dropped a buddys 53 chevy off at this house in a rough area, he came out, he gave him the keys and $1000 cash and the guy just said "ill call you" - 3 weeks later we returned to a beautifully painted car, more money was given and off we went. The car had about 20 more miles on it than it did when we dropped it off. The paint was so great it made me want to do it, but I really just cant trust someone with any of my cars like that... poo poo, I wince at the thought of a valet taking my daily....

then there are old timers like the guy you mentioned - these are the best... period... but you have to keep your wallet open and be patient, two things I'm not too keen on.

Painting cars in general is such a touchy subject, it can go wrong so quickly and there are so many variables that a 2k paint job can look like a 20k paint job and a 20k paint job can look like a 2k paint job - I've seen the horror stories - overspray in the interior, engine bay - painted tires and exhaust pipes, the totally wrong color sprayed - two tone lines that are a mile off, and then super clean jobs that look like they are still wet... I have seen both of these kind of jobs come out of a Maaco - again, you're a brave man Bob!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Tomarse posted:

I love the car and am enjoying the updates!

I also struggle to contemplate the sheer length of your car speaking as someone who has never actually seen one close up or in person.

they're one of the most strikingly large cars you will see - especially as a convertible they are massive, slabby and just gigantic

-

If I got caught using the dishwasher for car parts there'd be one hell of an estate sale to go to...

also those hubcaps are amazing - not to detract from them, but have you ever thought about doing the wide 8? Those are IMHO one of the coolest GM styled wheels ever. right up there with the Buick kelsey hayes wires and the Cadillac Sabres

those taillights are amazingly mint... I love that you can still see that galvanizing on them. My old 60 Buick had taillight buckets like this, but that was really the only nice thing about that car.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
+1 for Testors - I've used it to paint the emblems on the back of my wagon - it actually has held up pretty well - been on there for 4 years now... my job painting it was less than stellar, but the paint has lasted great. I've also had good luck with One Shot enamel paint.

I actually cleaned up my over paint with a razor blade and some paint thinner, the real test will be when/if I ever get around to pulling the side emblems off to do them in red..

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
thats a fantastic turnaround time! lets hope the work is up to your standard! waiting for pics!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Really looks good for the money - I wonder if they put enough paint on it that you, or a pro could really get in to it with a color sand and make it look like a 24k jobber?

I'd consider yourself lucky with only that overspray - I had a friend whos interior got blasted pretty good - took him quite a long time to get it off.

for years I've tried to perfect my technique with paint correction, I thought I was good - then a real pro came over to do my new lexus and hoooolyyy poo poo

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ahh the butyl tape - between that and the "killer red" style tape, these are staples in nearly every job box in the entertainment/events industry - that stuff is no joke.

the skirts make the car!

Re: audio - I don't know why no one makes a bluetooth unit that is completely controlled by your phone WITH just a simple panel mounted volume dial with on/off - Ok - maybe a little light to remind you its on... but something that you can hide easily - my biggest problem is that none of these things have easily twistable volume knobs - the bluetooth speaker ive been using sounds great and is more than enough for what I need, but its a PITA to turn it down if you need to talk to someone or hear something!

Soooo - can I send you my 42 and you can do your magic to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Apologies for the necromancy, but I never posted pictures of the new top that was installed in June. I lost a number of photos from the upholstery shop, but here it was at pick-up:

What a car - I'll never forget the first time I saw a big slab pontiac like that. What a gorgeous car, congrats Bob!