Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Oh my god this is gonna happen y’all

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress Vandy and all but they actually got hosed on that ball four call.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress Vandy and all but they actually got hosed on that ball four call.

100% it’s been a strike all night

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

100% it’s been a strike all night

Yep. And a three run dagger one pitch later.

Blue was legit asleep back there.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
putting in the work https://twitter.com/luckymc44/status/1410403024615448589?s=21

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

lmao @ Ole Miss on there

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Jesus. In a week I could knock out Ole Miss, Virginia, Stanford and Arizona and probably put some real heat on Tennessee and NC State by myself.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas was on top of this years leaderboard at the very beginning of the CWS, closest we got to victory in Omaha this year :smith:

Good job Clanga

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Congrats Bulldogs!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/CoachStansMSU/status/152951719767191552?s=20

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Holy poo poo I never thought I'd see us win a national championship. Holy shitt. I've lurked the entire time because my suspicious rear end thought we'd lose if I ever mentioned a game.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo I never thought I'd see us win a national championship. Holy shitt. I've lurked the entire time because my suspicious rear end thought we'd lose if I ever mentioned a game.

same. it is absolutely unreal. i don't even watch baseball.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I’m still erupting. Just disgusting loads

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Sincere congrats to Mississippi State, South Carolina fans felt the same way when we won our first CWS :unsmith: So loving awesome when your school has been defined by athletic futility and your most reliable sport finally brings home the gold.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This feels right. Would genuinely have felt a little aggrieved if Vandy won it after not doing all the work.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

people in my neighborhood are running the roads blaring horns and shooting fireworks

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

LeeMajors posted:

Jesus. In a week I could knock out Ole Miss, Virginia, Stanford and Arizona and probably put some real heat on Tennessee and NC State by myself.

At $4 / shot though? That poo poo adds up for what is probably a half ounce of vodka.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Man. Congrats MSU. Thank gently caress we didn’t get another boring Vandy or Texas win.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

At $4 / shot though? That poo poo adds up for what is probably a half ounce of vodka.

Sounds like quitter talk

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

chaoslord posted:

Well if I only get one thing right about all my Omaha predictions I am glad it will be “man things are really lining up for Miss State to make a run, huh?”

My one good read of the playoffs lmao

Clanga

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Clanga

Hell you could argue Vandy sneaking into the finals was part of that read too cause it seems clear in hindsight NC State was playing better

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Rocker in particular has been wobbly for weeks now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

chaoslord posted:

Clanga

It was weird too because they got murdered in Hoover.

Turns out, they just had everyone else right where they wanted us.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Good teams don't take the sec tournament seriously

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dalmuti posted:

Good teams don't take the sec tournament seriously

Evidently.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I was sad that Bad Tech showed up for our super and flamed out there.

But I'm glad that Clanga won it. Or more specifically that Vandy didn't repeat.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseball/status/1415059665550028801?s=20

:toot::toot::toot:

e: 1.5m/yr + 900k for assistants

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 13, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

That’s awesome, congrats on locking him down

Now that the draft is over I’m finally gonna do the post mortem/look ahead to fall ball. Think Arkansas is at 52 players right now? So lot of people will be asked to move on in the coming months

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

chaoslord posted:

That’s awesome, congrats on locking him down

Now that the draft is over I’m finally gonna do the post mortem/look ahead to fall ball. Think Arkansas is at 52 players right now? So lot of people will be asked to move on in the coming months

Even after 10 were picked in the draft? That's a crazy huge roster.

Tech had 9 picked, 7 in the first 10 rounds, plus 3 incoming players.

Conley (4th), Baker (4th), and Fulford (6th) are gone. Montverde (6th), and Sublette (7th) are probably gone. Dobbins (8th) is ?? and Montgomery (8th) is probably gone.

Birdsell (11th) I'll predict is staying, but he's rehabbing a rotator cuff, so a lot is going to depend on that. Neuse (17th) is for sure staying.

Cauley (HS, 3rd) is probably gone. McGowan (Tr, 7th) and AJ Smith-Shawver (HS, 7th) are ??'s as at that point the money is meh and you're probably facing a long grind in the minors, but it is pro-ball.

Fulford being drafted (I didn't expect him to sniff the top 10 rounds) is interesting because Nate Rombach, our backup catcher had been in the transfer portal. Might bring him back into the fold.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

kayakyakr posted:

Even after 10 were picked in the draft? That's a crazy huge roster.

Yeah, with the exception of two people who were drafted that are expected to come to campus still, the 51 (just had an UDFA sign to leave) is assuming all those drafted are not coming back. 21 new faces as of now. The cut to 40 is gonna be tough. We are at 23 position players and 28 pitchers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

chaoslord posted:

Yeah, with the exception of two people who were drafted that are expected to come to campus still, the 51 (just had an UDFA sign to leave) is assuming all those drafted are not coming back. 21 new faces as of now. The cut to 40 is gonna be tough. We are at 23 position players and 28 pitchers.

You're going to be sending off a lot of D1 talent, frankly. Embarrassment of riches.

As a comparison, Tech's gonna shed about 10 folks from their roster from last season, but most of those players did not play and are not going to be landing on other major conference rosters. And Tech's recruiting/baseball program has been running strong for a while now at this point.

Christian McGowan is not planning on signing and will be enrolling at Tech.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This seems...bad https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1415401169904668676?s=21

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Looks like I was wrong about Neuse... looks like he's planning on leaving after being drafted in the 17th round, which is, frankly, silly in this day and age. *shrug*

AJ Smith-Shawver seems to be planning on heading to the leagues too from the 7th round.

Couple of post-10 picks look like they're thinking pro's too. Jose Acuna and Kris Anglin.

Granted, when the actual offers come through, these straight-to-pros feelings may change.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas Season in Review

With the Golden Spikes award being announced tonight, I figure this is as good of time as any to get in and do a review and look ahead for Arkansas. Man... what could have been.

Let's start with the obvious: Kevin Kopps. Arkansas as a team was not the #1 team in the country. The NCAA Tournament made that clear. But what was also made clear is that Kevin Kopps dragged this team kicking and screaming to what was one of the greatest college baseball regular seasons in history. There was not a single losing weekend in the regular season for Arkansas, and that included a road sweep over eventual national champions Mississippi State and a 3 game sweep of three Nationally Seeded Texas teams the first weekend of the season. Went 10-0 in the SEC for series and even won one away at Louisiana Tech, too. And it was in large part due to Kevin Kopps. His final statline:

33 G, 12-1, 11 Saves, 89.2 IP, 131 K, 18 BB, 50 H, 9 ER, .90 ERA

His lone start was a loss, where he gave up 3 of the only 9 runs he allowed all season. I know a lot of Hogs fans complain about the decision to start him in G3, but that was the right move - he had just the week before gone 7IP in relief to get past Nebraska so you know he has the juice, and he had been one of the most dominant pitchers in CBB, he had to get you off on the right foot. And he did. But Dave let him go out there for the 9th, which I am sure he lobbied for, when our Friday Ace was ready to come out of the bullpen, and, well... Kopps deserved to win a national championship from his heroic play this year, but unfortunately he'll settle for the Dick Howser Trophy and, hopefully, the Golden Spikes.

Kopps and our friday ace Patrick Wicklander covered a lot of deficiencies in the pitching staff. Our base rotation most of the season was Wicklander/TBA/TBA, where we just kind of felt out who we should go with on Saturday and Sunday. It ended up working out, but I dont know how often you'll see a top team with a rotation that can be summed up with :shrug:

That said, the big downfall of the Razorbacks was the bats. From the SEC tournament through the super regional, Arkansas batters were hitting .227. If you take out the Super Game 1, that dropped to .202. Regular season batting average was .276. Arkansas only managed 4 hits each in game 2 and 3 against NC State, and a team that hit 109 home runs just could not muster any offense when it mattered. Six players had 10+ HR, but the 1-4 hitters turned into pumpkins when it mattered the most. They say pitching wins championships, but you can't rely on pitching when you're only hitting .202. Honestly, winning the SEC Tournament with that kind of number was nothing short of a minor miracle.

From the non pitching side of things, Casey Opitz doing Casey Opitz things was great to watch, and Charlie Welch slashing .388/.494/.821 as a PH was clutch, winning a couple of games for us coming off the bench.

Fun year, just wish it had ended differently. Dave pulling Lockhart fast in G2, leaving Kopps in G3, and refusing to change a batting lineup that was struggling ultimately did us in.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Looking ahead to '22 - Roster Losses

Five players have entered the transfer portal: Pitchers Caleb Bolden, Nate Wohlgemuth, Jacob Burton, Blake Adams, and catcher Cason Tollett (now at Arkansas State). The biggest loss in the group is Bolden, who started 10 games for Arkansas this season, including the game against NJIT in the regional.

Losing eligibility are pitcher Lael Lockhart (3-3, 4.47 ERA) and infielder Cullen Smith (.263/.395/.519, 11 HR). Lockhart became a regular part of our rotations and Smith was a good bat until all the bats went cold.

There were 15 players drafted that were either at Arkansas or signees. Max Muncy (HS, 1st round, 25th pick), Jordan Viars (HS, 3, 84), Drew Gray (HS, 3, 93), Kevin Kopps (P, 3, 99), Christian Franklin (OF, 4, 123), Ryan Costeiu (P, 7, 201), Casey Opitz (C, 8, 244), Patrick Wicklander (P, 8, 251), Lael Lockhart (P, 9, 282), Braylon Bishop (HS, 14, 403), Caden Monke (P, 14, 409), Drake Varnado (HS, 17, 498), Elijah Trest (P, 19, 560), Charlie Welch (PH, 19, 564), Brenden Dixon (JUCO, 20, 583)

Out of that group, Drake Varnado announced he was pulling his name out of the draft before he was drafted, and Braylon Bishop said he was coming to Arkansas after being drafted but has since deleted that tweet, so we'll see what happens with those two.

Additionally, since the draft Matt Goodheart has signed as an UDFA, and Jacob Nesbit is forgoing the last two years of his eligibility and joining the staff as a GA. As of this writing, there are 9 position players and 20 pitchers who are currently on campus that are expected to return.

Newcomers

Peyton Stovall (#47 prospect on perfect game) went undrafted after it seems no one was willing to pay what he wanted. He has confirmed he will be coming to Arkansas now rather than going the JUCO route and trying again next year. Braylon Bishops (#54) Drake Varnado (#93) very possibly might come, too, based on the above comments. And pitchers Hagen Smith (#71) and Brady Tygart (#73) will also probably make it to campus after being undrafted.

From the JUCO ranks, Zac Vooletich and Landrey Wilkerson are joining up, as are Jace Bohrofen from Oklahoma (former top 40 recruit) and Michael Turner, a catcher from Kent State. Good, solid experience added in.

All total, there are 13 new position players and 8 new pitchers coming aboard as of this writing.

What this means for 2022 lineups

Three of our starting four infielders are returning as are two of our three normal outfielders, so our position players are mostly set. Catcher of course is a huge loss, but between the grad transfer coming and us having a solid #2 already on campus, it might not be too terribly bad. So from fielding and batting, I expect Arkansas to pick up where we left off, hopefully meaning the regular season.

Pitching is the biggest question mark, even though there are a ton of pitchers sticking around. Former QB Connor Noland had a great 2019 where he was a weekend starter, but the long layoff plus injury meant he looked shaky in his few apperances this season. Peyton Pallette had an injury (not TJ though?) in the SEC Tournament, where surely he would have been a big part going forward in the post season but now we need to see how he recovers. And then Caleb Bolden left. There is no "confidence" guy on the list, just a lot of "what could be", which extends to some really nice looking HS Prospects. I believe DVH said he was done with adding, but I honestly think one transfer portal pitcher wouldn't be the worst move.

Anyway, with Nesbit announcing his intention to retire from baseball this morning, Arkansas's current projected roster is 50 people, 22 position and 28 pitchers. This will get down to 40 at the conclusion of the Fall World Series. Some of the HS players may opt for JUCO route and we will probably see some other people decide to move on before then.

Ok long effort posts over, it'll be short posts about the folks we shed from here probably

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Triple posting to say: well deserved

https://twitter.com/razorbackbsb/status/1415806008853549057?s=21

Our AD accidentally broke the news 20 minutes early lol, guess he thought the interview was live rather than being tape delayed

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/arkrazorbacks/status/1415806098230153218?s=21

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 16, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Kopps was the clear Golden Spikes guy this year. I don't know that I've ever seen a single player so heavily impact a team's fortunes week-to-week. And that was on an already extremely talented team, no less. I hope he gets a solid chance to work his way into the majors eventually. Gotta think he'll be on the fast-track in the minors considering his age/development until he either breaks through or hits a wall.

It sounds like Arky's biggest question mark next season is gonna be pitching, but I'm sure y'all will have some surprises there. This post-season really drove home to me just how important deep pitching is to making a run. It's "common knowledge", of course, but it was fully illustrated in Omaha as the teams that made the deepest runs had the best arms. Whether is was Vandy's absurd 1-2 punch, Texas' all-around deep squad, or UVA pulling a guy like McGarry out, everywhere you looked at the end it seemed like you had mostly pitching-focused teams left.

The draft went about how we expected for MSU between current players and HS recruits. I think I saw somewhere that Bednar probably boosted his draft position ~10 spots on his Omaha pitching alone which was cool.

Considering how the draft went, we're still in a pretty drat good spot with talent next season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sims try and shift to a starting role with another year of development under his belt, and if he can make the change, we'll probably have our Friday night guy already locked in. Our other likely starters will be Jackson Fristoe who was our Sunday guy earlier this year as well as Cade Smith who showed some real promise down the stretch. And that's on top of still having a very deep bullpen.

Batting is only somewhat questionable. Replacing the production of Rowdey Jordan and Tanner Allen will be a tall order, but the bats coming back have all the talent in the world. I expect to see Kam James make a step forward next season and possibly move himself into the first round of the draft. Kellum Clark is another guy who, with some better pitch recognition, can become a terror. He has absurd power and still hit at a decent clip this year considering he was pretty much just trying to guess pitches. Multiple times in Omaha the commentators talked about the show he'd put on in BP.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

When I saw this pop up, I told my wife "Bet you :10bux: it's hazing," and, well

https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/1416234841364905990?s=21

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Hazing was my first thought, there's a lot of ways that can go deeply terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Birdsell announced his return to TTU.

Jakob Brustoski signed as a UDFA. He missed the 2021 season with a TJ recovery. A little bit of a loss, as he was a pretty good left-handed reliever.