Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Arkansas was up 7-5 going into the bottom of the 9th and lost 7-8. Tough loss to take, needed that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1393644661726715904?s=20

chaoslord posted:

Arkansas was up 7-5 going into the bottom of the 9th and lost 7-8. Tough loss to take, needed that one

My neighbor texted me asking what just happened right after that

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1393644661726715904?s=20

My neighbor texted me asking what just happened right after that

Hate that it happened to my team but gosh dang that was a shot. It was a home run that deserved to win a game, that’s for sure

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

Hate that it happened to my team but gosh dang that was a shot. It was a home run that deserved to win a game, that’s for sure

I dunno why y’all’s coach took the previous pitcher out, he was doing fine. Bringing in a true freshman in that situation was just asking for trouble

Feels good to win one but I’m not expecting another tomorrow, I’d kill for a series win though

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dunno why y’all’s coach took the previous pitcher out, he was doing fine. Bringing in a true freshman in that situation was just asking for trouble

Feels good to win one but I’m not expecting another tomorrow, I’d kill for a series win though

Yeah, it’s hard to second guess a coach like Dave Van Horn, but this loss is on him. Can’t put a freshman who is tentative because they have had control issues in their last few outings out there on the road like that.

Arkansas doesn’t really have a Sunday pitcher so I would not be surprised at all if we lost to y’all again.

Arkansas 18-8
Tenn 18-8
Vandy 17-8
Florida 17-9
Miss State 17-10

I think I’ve got that right. Winner tomorrow has a huge advantage going into the final weekend, but no one can take anything for granted

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 16, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haven’t been this excited about college baseball since I was actually at UT. Maybe last year I was because we had a great team then too but the season was obviously cut short.

LFG

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Vol_Baseball/status/1393980909917900800?s=20

Ouch

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I have been worried for a few weeks now that because Arkansas wasn’t sweeping series that it would be possible to go 10-0 for the weekends and come out without the #1 seed in the conference tournament but enough results have gone our way elsewhere this weekend where that’s no longer a possibility. Win 2 at home next weekend and its done.

I would never have guessed this team had this in them. Wow.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

I have been worried for a few weeks now that because Arkansas wasn’t sweeping series that it would be possible to go 10-0 for the weekends and come out without the #1 seed in the conference tournament but enough results have gone our way elsewhere this weekend where that’s no longer a possibility. Win 2 at home next weekend and its done.

I would never have guessed this team had this in them. Wow.

It's easy to nitpick on a game-to-game and series-to-series basis, but imo Arkansas has pretty clearly been the most consistently strong team in the SEC this season. Every other team has stumbled at some point, but y'all haven't lost a series yet, right?

e: And Vandy just lost another series. Arkansas is firmly in the driver's seat for the regular season title. I'm just hoping at this point we can take the series from Bama next weekend to preserve our national seed spot

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 16, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arkansas is definitely the clear #1, but we obviously have the talent to compete going forward. Blade pitched a pretty solid game, but on a long enough timeline the Arky lineup is gonna hit anyone. It was a fun series.

Anyone know what DVH and Vitello were chirping about at the end of the game? It was enough that both teams were on the field and looked like a fight might break out but nothing happened. I thought those two were buds so was surprised to see it happening.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Traitorous Leopard posted:

It's easy to nitpick on a game-to-game and series-to-series basis, but imo Arkansas has pretty clearly been the most consistently strong team in the SEC this season. Every other team has stumbled at some point, but y'all haven't lost a series yet, right?

e: And Vandy just lost another series. Arkansas is firmly in the driver's seat for the regular season title. I'm just hoping at this point we can take the series from Bama next weekend to preserve our national seed spot

Yep! 9-0 in SEC Series, and 13-0 in weekends overall with the 3 non conf series and then the sweep of the three Texas teams on the first weekend. D1 baseball says "The Razorbacks improved to 7-1 against teams currently ranked in the top 10, and 15-3 against teams ranked in the Top 25 — with all 18 of those games played away from Baum Stadium." I still think Vanderbilt is the most talented roster in the land, but they have struggled at times to play up to their level so I'll take another week as #1. The 2018 Arkansas team that was a pop up in foul territory away from being national champions lost all 5 road SEC series they played, so for Arkansas to win all 5 of them is just... this is special.

D1 baseball moved yall down to #10 which is absurd. I know yall lost the series this weekend but Notre Dame are not better than yall and neither is Arizona. I hope you sweep Bama, you deserve a national seed for sure.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Arkansas is definitely the clear #1, but we obviously have the talent to compete going forward. Blade pitched a pretty solid game, but on a long enough timeline the Arky lineup is gonna hit anyone. It was a fun series.

Anyone know what DVH and Vitello were chirping about at the end of the game? It was enough that both teams were on the field and looked like a fight might break out but nothing happened. I thought those two were buds so was surprised to see it happening.

Yeah with three 1 run games, not hard to see how either team could have swept it with only a few pitches going differently. Well fought battle that highlighted the importance of Kevin Kopps to this Arkansas team. We don't really have overwhelming pitching in the early to middle innings (Wicklander on D1 is good but not dominant), but Kopps can see games home. The run he gave up yesterday was the first in 27 innings I believe, and I think he has the lowest ERA in college baseball. And like you say, we have enough bats that we are rarely in a position we can't recover from. Made for some interesting games this season!

DVH and Vitello I think are pretty close yeah, I know Vitello gave DVH a lot of credit when he got the Tennessee job. This is what someone in the razorback discord who is close to the baseball team said. Combined with Vitello's comments in his post game presser, this seems to make the most sense to me:

"Misunderstanding. DVH went to shake Vitellos hand. Vitello turned away (assume he wanted to be with his team first). DVH gave the 'come here' hand motion which looks a lot like "bring it on" and I think that's how some players interpreted it. Guys got a little chirper, but nobody engaged with anyone. DVH and TV talked after the game and got it all sorted out."

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech lost another Friday game (9-8), meaning we dropped the Friday matchup against 4 of the 8 Big XII opponents. But this time, we followed that up by hammering OU 15-2 and 13-2 in the next 2 games. That's some good bounce back, and us not dropping a series to an inferior opponent.

In the Big XII:

TCU and Texas have insurmountable leads in the regular season conference race. Texas is 1 game back, but holds the H2H tiebreaker, so needs TCU to drop 1 more game than they do. Texas hosts WVU, who is not good this year. There is a pretty strong desire to avoid the #2 seed in the Big XII Tournament, as #2 has to deal with Tech. They are a lock for a top 16 seed, and a series win locks them into a top 8.

TCU is in a slump, losing their weekend series to Texas, and then following that up with a non-conference series loss to UL Monroe. They face Kansas State in Manhattan. Despite KSU not being very good, they have managed to win every home series so far, the only team in the Big XII that can claim that distinction. TCU needs a bounce-back series win to lock into a top 16 seed and needs to show they're out of the slump in the Big XII tournament to move back into the top 8.

Tech is many games back. If TCU and UT were both to be swept, and Tech were to sweep Kansas, it would only serve to move TTU into a tie for 2nd with UT. They have series wins over TCU and UT, but dropped head scratchers against KSU and Baylor. I wonder if Tech's pitching is consistent enough to be a true competitor in the postseason. They're mostly held together by tape and grit at this point. So long as they don't lose the next 5 straight, they are a lock for a top 16. A series win and a good showing in the Big XII tournament (5 more wins total) probably moves them into the top 8 seeds, presumably at the expense of TCU.

Oklahoma State is the only other team firmly in the postseason. They finished their Big XII slate at 12-12, and have a non-conference series against a Q3 opponent that they should sweep. I don't believe them to be a bubble team, but dropping more than one vs New Orleans and not showing out in the Big XII tournament could turn them into one for sure.

Baylor has a solid RPI and faces OU as a quadrant 2 team. I do believe them to be a bubble team. They need a series win to move them into a tie with OSU in the Big XII standings. Winning the series should solidify them in the field of 64. Sweeping the series moves them into the 4 line, likely to face TTU in the opening matchup. That might actually favor Baylor, as they firmly trounced TTU at home some weeks ago.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State swept Pitt over the weekend, sealing their spot in the NCAA field and probably killing off the Panthers' hopes of hosting a regional. The Pack won't be a host but they are definitely playing like a 2 seed you don't want to see fall into your regional. Will see if that holds up through their final series against FSU and then the ACCT, which is absolutely wide open this year and thus will be won by UNC.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arky still at #1 and UT stays at #4 but Texas moves up to #2 from #5 but didn’t play this weekend? Okay

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

Arky still at #1 and UT stays at #4 but Texas moves up to #2 from #5 but didn’t play this weekend? Okay

Coach's poll is the worst poll.

It's possible that UT & UT were also getting those confused highlight votes. TTU moved up to 5.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Coach's poll is the worst poll.

It's possible that UT & UT were also getting those confused highlight votes. TTU moved up to 5.

That’s from the D1 baseball rankings: https://d1baseball.com/top-25/d1-baseball-top-25-chaos-abound-after-arkansas/

At best Tennessee should have moved up a spot because of MSU’s drop and Arky/Vandy stay as is. I don’t understand how a team that didn’t do anything this past weekend jumps 3 spots.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

That’s from the D1 baseball rankings: https://d1baseball.com/top-25/d1-baseball-top-25-chaos-abound-after-arkansas/

At best Tennessee should have moved up a spot because of MSU’s drop and Arky/Vandy stay as is. I don’t understand how a team that didn’t do anything this past weekend jumps 3 spots.

wild

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Texas..... is back

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

just :laffo: at UF creeping back into the top 10 the past few weeks.

i know we took a series from Vandy, but we are godawful on the road and lack serious pitching depth.

i don't see any real possibility of making noise in the super regionals and beyond...too inconsistent.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

LeeMajors posted:

just :laffo: at UF creeping back into the top 10 the past few weeks.

i know we took a series from Vandy, but we are godawful on the road and lack serious pitching depth.

i don't see any real possibility of making noise in the super regionals and beyond...too inconsistent.

The SEC is scary this year, though. Get the right matchups, might have a cakewalk to the CWS.

Also, who would have thought that the College baseball showdown would have seen 6 top 15 teams playing.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Joey Freshwater posted:

Circling back to this, Vitello made mention in his post game presser about brining up an off the field issue he shouldn't have. An Arkansas reporter started asking around some more after that and, grain of salt and all that, he says the issue was about a JUCO player named Logan Chambers. Chambers is from Bryant, AR, and is playing JUCO at Crowder JC in Neosho, MO. He is a Tennessee commit, but apparently Arkansas is trying to flip him, which apparently isn't as common in college baseball as it is basketball or football? Who knows how true it is, but that's a new story that might explain it.

--------------------------

Arkansas had Wicklander (6.0) and Kopps (3.0) combine for 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 16 K tonight at home against Florida. This clinches at least a share of the SEC West. One win locks up at least a share of the SEC championship (and a perfect 10-0 record in SEC series this season), and two wins locks up the SEC title without having to share it. Vandy had a walk off in the 9th to escape a loss to Kentucky, think that loss would have eliminated them from contention. I am unsure if Miss State still has a chance, I don't know how the three way tiebreaker would shake out if Arkansas, Tenn, and them ended up with the same record, so including them here.

Arkansas 20-8
Tennessee 19-9
Vanderbilt 18-9
Mississippi State 18-10

These four teams should be Super Regional hosts. I dont know if they will give all four of them one because four from one conference is wild, but these four teams absolutely deserve it.

I am torn between wanting Arkansas to throw their full staff at Hoover next week and competing for the title or taking it easy and saving arms for the Regionals. Bah.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I knew it was probably unlikely for the Gators to pull this series but 16 Ks......woof.

Looking like a laugher.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I knew it was probably unlikely for the Gators to pull this series but 16 Ks......woof.

Looking like a laugher.

AKAB

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech's starting pitcher had 10 strikeouts, which is pretty good.

But also Tech lost another series opener, this time to cellar-dweller Kansas, 7-4.

Gonna have to reverse that trend, otherwise they're going to spend the rest of the season playing elimination games. This also puts Tech in the uncomfortable position of needing to at least match Baylor's win total to stay in 3rd.

But Tech's in good company: both UT and TCU also lost their opening games. The bottom of the Big XII is also an interesting race. With 2 teams at 8-14 and 2 at 9-13, it's anyone's guess who misses out on the big XII tournament at this point.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 21, 2021

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dear Kentucky,

Please stop choking against Vanderbilt.

Thanks,

chaoslord

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
NC State clinched their series against Florida State today and look set to have the second-best record in the ACC after starting the conference season 1-8.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright regular season over, let's check in on ole Lando Sims and see how that turned out

Just totally dominant. Kopps deserves SEC pitcher of the year for total body of work, but Sims is one of the most absurd college closers I've ever seen. The stats don't even tell the whole story. Batters just look totally helpless facing him.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Alright regular season over, let's check in on ole Lando Sims and see how that turned out

Just totally dominant. Kopps deserves SEC pitcher of the year for total body of work, but Sims is one of the most absurd college closers I've ever seen. The stats don't even tell the whole story. Batters just look totally helpless facing him.

Yeah, its like, what is the point of the award right? Toolset wise, stuff wise, the actual pitching part Sims is better than Kopps, absolutely. But Kopps as our closer is 10-0 with 8 saves (both 2nd in the SEC) over 26 appearances (3rd), finished 19 games (2nd), with batters hitting .158 against him (2nd), and has the lowest ERA in the league of qualifying pitchers, and I think that is true for the country as well. He hasn’t been as dominant as Sims, but he’s been so effective that he changes the game almost in reputation at this point. He threw a three inning W against Florida on Thursday, and Monke, our closer on Friday came in to the dugout after the 8th with the game 2-2 and said “go to Kopps”, who went out there and got a second win in as many days.

If Sims or Kumar won the award, I would be upset because I want my guys to win awards, but it’s not like it would be a robbery because they are better pitchers, physically, and have done some really impressive things this year (Sims ERA in particular is insane, just not enough IP to qualify). But Kopps has been the most important player on Arkansas this year, and often the best player on highest ranked teams wins awards so fingers crossed.

Arkansas completed the 10-0 perfect series season with the sweep of Florida, but it may have not been without cost. We lost a pitcher on Friday who could have been our #2 starter down the stretch here. No word yet on severity of injury, probably know more Monday, but poorly timed.

The 1-2 punch of Wicklander (1.89 ERA, 2nd in SEC behind Kopps of qualifying pitchers) and Kopps means I would bet on Arkansas to win Game 1 against anybody in the country at this point. But we have never really nailed down a #2 or #3 guy and so after that we are relying on bats. We got 5 guys over 10 HR so it’s not the worst strategy in the world, but it means that we can be gotten at. I’m a little worried about what that means for Super Regionals and beyond, but we haven’t faltered yet so like... I guess I should be more confident lol. That pop up against Oregon State still haunts me I guess.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ACC Tournament set. For a brief moment it looked like it would resolve with the three hottest teams—NC State, Virginia, Duke—all in the same pool, but that got averted. Lot of teams here still playing for NCAA spots or seeding, especially Louisville, Pitt, and VT, all of whom have been tanking. If you're a neutral it ought to be a great tournament, probably every single team in there could get hot and win it.

https://twitter.com/accbaseball/status/1396216270312325120?s=21

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2021

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

That pop up against Oregon State still haunts me I guess.

That displaced the Stoerner fumble in my pantheon of gut wrenching hog fandom

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

tactlessbastard posted:

That displaced the Stoerner fumble in my pantheon of gut wrenching hog fandom

Y’all had one loving job

Also, your baseball team is amazing and I hope y’all take the title. Beat our asses.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

chaoslord posted:

But Kopps has been the most important player on Arkansas this year, and often the best player on highest ranked teams wins awards so fingers crossed.

Yeah, Kopps has a strong argument for straight-up Player of the Year, not just pitcher. He is the clear MVP on a team that has more talent than most.

Btw, Matt Wyatt (former MSU media guy) just released a doc on college baseball's scholarship limit. I haven't finished it yet, but it's been really good so far. Definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7cKh4fo6Bg

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Meanwhile in the Big XII, TCU dropped two to KSU (who finishes the only team in the conference to not lose a home series), and UT took two from WVU, giving them the #1 seed (and tying those two for reg season champions.)

TCU would need to sweep the Big XII tournament at this stage to regain their top 8 spot. They need to show out well no matter what to even stay on the host line, otherwise they are in grave danger of falling out of the 16 host sites.

Texas Tech may be the primary beneficiary of the TCU slump. After dropping the opening game, again, this time thanks to a bullpen meltdown, they easily handled the Jayhawks the next two games, dropping Kansas out of the big XII tournament. The good news for us is that we might have an actual 3rd weekend starter in Freshman Chase Hampton. Went 6 with 0 runs given up, and was pitching a no-hitter through 5. This is a huge development for us, after losing 3 potential starters to injury this season, and, should it keep up, may let us actually make some noise in the postseason after all.

I still think Tech needs 3 wins to guarantee a spot in the top 8 regional hosts. Ideally, those would come in a row to move us to the Big XII Tournament championship, but I'd be OK if that only gets us to the semifinals. 2-2 needs help, while 1-2 or 0-2 would leave us in the 9 to 11 range.

Also, I am fascinated with the 33-1 Fairfield. They haven't exactly been blowing teams out, but a 2-1 win in baseball is just as good as a 17-0 win as far as overall record is concerned. That's just an insane amount of good fortune to come away with only one loss, no matter what conference you're in. Of course, they haven't played a Q1 team. What would be interesting to me is if they drop 2 games in the MAAC tournament (which is a double elimination tournament after an 8 team 1st round series). The NCAA would be forced to take whichever team came out of that tournament, but would the selection committee punish Fairfield all the way out of the NCAA tournament for those two late losses finishing at least 33-3 on the season?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

been a real good first day at the ACCT, Louisville and Clemson beat up on each other with the Cardinals finally taking it, and now UVA just finished off a pitcher's duel with VT

i do not like this format because it is basically single elimination for 8 of the 12 teams but undeniably it makes for great first-round games (just not so much the second or third-round games where half of them are dead rubbers)

edit: the night game ended with UNC losing to Pitt, which happily enough means no repeat for the Heels

kayakyakr posted:

Also, I am fascinated with the 33-1 Fairfield. They haven't exactly been blowing teams out, but a 2-1 win in baseball is just as good as a 17-0 win as far as overall record is concerned. That's just an insane amount of good fortune to come away with only one loss, no matter what conference you're in. Of course, they haven't played a Q1 team. What would be interesting to me is if they drop 2 games in the MAAC tournament (which is a double elimination tournament after an 8 team 1st round series). The NCAA would be forced to take whichever team came out of that tournament, but would the selection committee punish Fairfield all the way out of the NCAA tournament for those two late losses finishing at least 33-3 on the season?

same, it seems like they've figured out save scumming in real life somehow

elentar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 26, 2021

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Watching baseball while working! Tournament time is fun.

Tech is 3 innings into this game vs Baylor and has a leadoff homerun, and has chased Baylor's starter after just 1 inning.

e: Tech picks up another in the 2nd, but leaves two stranded. Jung and Conley both made hard contact, but not quite right to leave the park. I think the Tech hitters started sensing blood and are going for the kill shots.

e2: Another 2 in the 3rd. Baylor moves to their 3rd pitcher of the day in the 4th. Gives up a 2 out walk and homer. Tech moving into beat 'em down territory, up 8-0. Baylor can explode for runs, so this isn't game over yet, but it's getting there. You can bet that Tech's not going to let up.

e3: 5 innings, 4 pitchers. Baylor's 4th pitcher is the first to keep Tech off the board, beaning a batter, but getting two quick popups and just barely beating the runner to first after mishandling a comeback.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 26, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Turned on UF-MSU after getting back from Costco.

:staredog:

Ok then.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Duke out in front early against Florida State—if that holds it’d be the Noles, UNC, and Clemson out already. Tournament increasingly looking like the field against Notre Dame.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech goes Bullpen in the 6th. Montgomery was dealing, so just gotta think they're going to rest him and let the 8-0 lead play defense for us.

e: Baylor with two quick hits against Devine. He'll have some leash, but he had better settle in quick.

e2: Devine escapes with only 1.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 26, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Turned on UF-MSU after getting back from Costco.

:staredog:

Ok then.

It's a good thing the tournament games should be meaningless for us cause we sure are playing like it. I expected to give up some runs given we're not pitching our main guys, but wow we've looked bad in pretty much every other phase of the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It's a good thing the tournament games should be meaningless for us cause we sure are playing like it. I expected to give up some runs given we're not pitching our main guys, but wow we've looked bad in pretty much every other phase of the game, too.

Not even jacked up to blow us out for stealing Dan Mullen smh