Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hello folks, I am new to ADTRW. I have recently completed Blade of the Immortal on Amazon Prime. I thought it was really, really, REALLY fuckin awesome and would love to discuss the show or see what others thought of it. I couldn’t find a thread for it, would a thread for a show that came out last year have any traction or would discussing it here make more sense?

I’ve been a huge anime completion kick this year (2020 was Marvel movies for me, I watched all of them) and so far 2021 has been the year I finally finish all the animes I like, but Blade of the Immortal hit different and even a week after finishing it I still can’t stop thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1429794299210870785?s=20

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1429790569946046464

i'm very, very cautiously optimistic

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Been watching Future Diary and The Duke of Death and his Maid lately, loving both. Duke of Death is making me realize an itch for flirty romance anime that I didn't know I had.

I keep meaning to watch NGE 2.2 so I can work my way up to the new movie, maybe I'll get to it tonight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

No Ed no sale.

Also the three old guys better be there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Better not be skipping Ein.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Better not be skipping Ein.

Literally right there in the pictures.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Waffleman_ posted:

Literally right there in the pictures.

Thank god.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

So far, been watching Sonny Boy; Girlfriend, Girlfriend; Dragon maid season 1 (catching up for 2).

Sonny Boy is quite good, each episode has been keeping me hooked. I'm kinda glad that its not focused on the powers that much, more of the world and how to figure out what's going on each episode. Its like an adventure novel where you find out more and more about the world around you each chapter. And it also means each power is a surprise when it comes up and feels more impactful. Need to catch up on the latest episodes but still a good show so far.

Girlfriend Girlfriend is unsurprisingly the trash show of the season but I did pick it up to see how the relationship between saki and minase develop. The show is at its best when it focuses on that part. The main girl being a lesbo for the girls her dumb but honest boyfriend picks up is a pretty great concept. Though the recent episodes have slowed the momentum down with the introduction of Miliki. Three episodes were focusing on this girl, with one just being characters standing around telling her to go away. That and the fan service has been dialed up a notch. I am not expecting much more out of this show at this point.

Dragon Maid I have been enjoying. The family and life parts are great. The skeevy parts are awful. I watched up to episode 12. Gonna watch 13 today. I think my favorite episode was episode 11. We get to see all the characters introduced in the show so far. Tohru and Kobayashi look like such a couple. Kanna and Kobayashi are kyute in their kimono. The three look like such a family, really warms my lesbian heart.

The actors selected look great for the roles. Now if they can match the worldbuilding and story I would be stunned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hello folks, I am new to ADTRW. I have recently completed Blade of the Immortal on Amazon Prime. I thought it was really, really, REALLY fuckin awesome and would love to discuss the show or see what others thought of it. I couldn’t find a thread for it, would a thread for a show that came out last year have any traction or would discussing it here make more sense?

I’ve been a huge anime completion kick this year (2020 was Marvel movies for me, I watched all of them) and so far 2021 has been the year I finally finish all the animes I like, but Blade of the Immortal hit different and even a week after finishing it I still can’t stop thinking about it.

feel free to just make a thread about if you wanna talk about it, might not get much traction but we had an active bleach thread for years while the franchise was dead and not like we have a limited number of threads that can be made

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gonna sound bonkers, but I'm actually kinda wishing Spike's outfit was less accurate? It's weird seeing it that close to the source.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Gonna sound bonkers, but I'm actually kinda wishing Spike's outfit was less accurate? It's weird seeing it that close to the source.

Not many people can pull off a bright blue suit. I do like Faye's getup. Keeps the style of her outfit without going too fetish-y.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i like all the outfits, tbh
the only criticism i have is that jet's shin guards look kinda cheap

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

'sup, Hiroaki Samura's manga about Manji and Rin cutting a bloody path of revenge was the first manga I went out of my way to buy after I moved to my current hometown almost 22 years ago. I liked the 2019 anime (even if it's really fast-paced) but as Endorph said, if you wish to make a thread about the series, go for it. :)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The designs actually look pretty good to be honest. Hope they hire a decent child actress to play Ed (though I’m not too familiar with child actors so I’m not sure who’d be a particularly good fit)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They've confirmed that Ed isn't going to be in the first season. So if you want to see her you better hope that it doesn't end up like most Netflox Originals where they cut their losses early.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Just started Sengoku Komachi Kuroutan because of this thread. It has almost no furigana so it's a little hard but it's reallllly awesome.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

They've confirmed that Ed isn't going to be in the first season.

aaaaaaand here's the first red flag

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

marumaru posted:

Much like the rest of the Bebop Crew, Netflix seemingly has no idea what to do with Edward or what she brings to the show.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Ed doesn't show up until episode 9 so might be that they're just not getting that far in the first season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the Netflix deal now is usually at least two seasons

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ThingOne posted:

Ed doesn't show up until episode 9 so might be that they're just not getting that far in the first season.

That's true. I just hope they figure out what she means to the overall dynamic beyond being an off the wall hacker gremlin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

marumaru posted:

I very respectfully disagree. I think Ed drags the show down and doesn’t really contribute anything towards what I liked about the show. She could work as a character if she were just less annoying and abrasive and “lolmonkeycheese so random” but I’ve gone through the series at least 7-8 times and I just find her tiresome when she isn’t doing cool hacker things. I’m not saying she doesn’t have her moments, and ultimately I’d like to see her plot points maybe transferred to a character who isn’t intentionally grating and twee. I understand that of all of Bebop’s cast, she is probably the most “of her time” and I would be way more interested in a modern interpretation of a young computer genius hacker who is kind of a ditz instead of a faithful 1/1 recreation of a character I really never connected with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best ep of bebop is the episode where everyones high on shrooms and ed wanders into a blaxploitation movie

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

what a twist they made it a musical

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I very respectfully disagree. I think Ed drags the show down and doesn’t really contribute anything towards what I liked about the show. She could work as a character if she were just less annoying and abrasive and “lolmonkeycheese so random” but I’ve gone through the series at least 7-8 times and I just find her tiresome when she isn’t doing cool hacker things. I’m not saying she doesn’t have her moments, and ultimately I’d like to see her plot points maybe transferred to a character who isn’t intentionally grating and twee. I understand that of all of Bebop’s cast, she is probably the most “of her time” and I would be way more interested in a modern interpretation of a young computer genius hacker who is kind of a ditz instead of a faithful 1/1 recreation of a character I really never connected with.

those are very fair points, and i agree. my main concern is that instead of trying to adapt the character, they're just removing it outright. i'm always wary of adaptations because they often go "actually, i don't like this and i can do better than the original material" and are usually wrong

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 23, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bust Rodd posted:

Ed and by extension her father are the only characters in the show not weighed down by their past and that's what she brings to the show, a reason to live for the future rather than accepting things as they are. She hasn't lived long enough to carry the weight of years but her father shows that you don't have to he weighed down by it either. He's actively working to fix the Earth rather than mope about how it's a relic, even if his work gets wiped out by the regular meteor showers.

For Jet she invokes his paternal instinct and desire to protect and teach, the noble aspects of his former life as a cop. It's a much healthier relationship than the one Jet had with his girlfriend where his protective nature turned into an overbearing protection.

For Faye she's a reminder of the childhood Faye can't remember, what Faye could have been if not for her accident. Faye is rude and rough with everyone on the ship except Ed, who she treats like a little sister. She's the only one that Faye is at least slightly vulnerable around rather than putting up her wall of selfishness.

Ed and Ein both share curiosity as a trait and are just adorable together.

Ed and Spike interact the least so it's hard to really pin down what Spike gets out of their relationship. Like Faye he puts up walls between him and the rest of the world, but his are much harder to break down and he's stubborn to a point where he basically never outright says how much Jet or Faye mean to him as friends. So I think Spike and Ed is much like Spike and everyone else. He's so utterly lost and alone that even a bright spirit like Ed can't break down the door and help him live. It adds to Spike's tragedy in that way.

On her own Ed is Ed, take it or leave it. But I do appreciate what she brings out of the rest of the cast, like she's a small catalyst for them to grow.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched a bit of Boogiepop and Others. It's a definite mixed bag but man, shadowgraph is a really good song.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

I watched a bit of Boogiepop and Others. It's a definite mixed bag but man, shadowgraph is a really good song.

yeah, i ended up dropping it but not even mad, shadowgraph owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epz9O3OStZM

myth & roid in general tbh

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Lol I put off watching Jujutsu Kaisen because honestly Shounen doesn't normally do much for me but godddddd dam, it's wonderful. I ended up watching the entire 24 episode run in 3 days.

I still don't like a lot of the weird Shounen conceits (like explaining in intense numerical detail how a certain punch works) but the way they kinda try to justify it (explaining it makes it stronger!) sorta works or at least makes it more tolerable.

My faith in Shounen was restored in 2021, as a 35 year old geezer? Who would have loving thought...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Endorph posted:

the best ep of bebop is the episode where everyones high on shrooms and ed wanders into a blaxploitation movie

Mushroom Samba whips rear end and so does the song that plays when Ed and Ein are wandering around the desert

https://youtu.be/Rz5ofs3xbdc yooooooo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the Netflix series, I like that Faye’s outfit is a bit less sexualized while at the same time still managing to keep the character instantly recognizable

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If I'm honest, Faye's original outfit went so far into ridiculous that it was kind of hard to take it seriously as sexualized. I guess she couldn't afford a personal stylist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jackets are cool

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chumbler posted:

If I'm honest, Faye's original outfit went so far into ridiculous that it was kind of hard to take it seriously as sexualized. I guess she couldn't afford a personal stylist.

It's like a 13 year old boy was tasked with designing an outfit a totally hawt chick would wear.

Faye's tastes are hilarious

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Those cast shots don't do it for me. I get too much of a costume vibe from Spike's outfit even if it is accurate to the original

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Wark Say is no longer a Mod. They have in fact been permabanned.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Julias posted:

Wark Say is no longer a Mod. They have in fact been permabanned.

huh whatd i miss

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

Wark Say [...] permabanned

:stare:

wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS