Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I was going to put a thread in DIY but since the workshop will be exclusively for housing and working on bikes, I thought I'd add content here. Also I didn't want to hijack that other guy's thread.

We bought a house a few months ago, and even though a garage was one of the must-haves we ended up buying somewhere without. As I've been furloughed for a while and anyway don't have to work during school holidays I set myself the challenge of building it from scratch.

Due to local planning constraints and the size of our drive, we're limited to <15m³, <2.5m total height. In order to keep the local conservation officer happy, it also has to be in keeping with the local character.

Today I finished the subbase for the concrete slab. Family and friends are coming by on Saturday to help pour it in exchange for beer.

There's going to be a 3 brick dwarf wall, traditional oak frame and slate roof. I have no experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
ball pit

The interior space will be around 2.5 X 4m. I've yet do do more than sketch mockups but I think I'll be putting a lift in the center with clear space around it for a stool, and a deep full-width workbench along the back wall, with shelves above and below.

I may put some small surfaces to rest tools and mag trays either side of the lift, but the objective is to make it pretty open to move around in.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

GriszledMelkaba posted:

me neither, but the new place I got has a garage that pools condensation under items that lay flat against the slab so make sure you put a vapor barrier down before pouring the concrete.

I've been going back and forth about the damp membrane, and I think I've decided to do it this way, with the concrete below -

The only bugbear I have is about anchoring the frame to the masonry without puncturing the wall damp proof course. I'm thinking about threaded rods in the wall cavity but they too will be going through the membrane.

This is all I have for layout so far. I want to keep it mostly open and clutter free, but I guess it's inevitable that eventually it'll fill up.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not currently planning on running power out, our house is old and doesn't have anything tappable our front, so running a cable would wash out the budget.

I plan on working in there during the daytime and the windows are south facing so should provide enough light. That said, I'll be putting up some 12v led work lights in corners that will only draw around 8-10 amps, and I can run them off either the 280ah Lifepo4 battery or run a cable out if I'm working into the evening. I can carry the battery inside to charge every now and again.

Steakandchips posted:

Scottish beers.

Remind me to get a lift rated for a Fat Bob

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'd definitely love power out there, but there's a few hitches.

The water mains for me and my neighbours runs under the front of the house about 1m out, too shallow to allow wire over the top. I could run the cable along the wall shared with neighbours but once it's at the front of the house, the wall is around 90cm thick of solid brick (150yo). The power enters the property from the rear so the consumer unit is behind two more walls.

I'm not ruling it out for the future but it's definitely in the realms of getting an electrician in with complications and then passing an inspection.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Extension cable will work, I have a 200w 240v-12v power supply I'll hook up to work lights and plug it in from a window. I'll try and get permanent power later in the year so I can run a heater/dehumidifier.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
This week I bought the bricks and timber. For the sake of aesthetical appeal and keeping the locals happy, I went with reclaimed bricks from a local place, and green oak from a national lumber mill.
Both were pricy but I think the longevity and appearance is a pretty vital part of the project.
I also paid a little extra for planing the oak so it's ready for me to join - I have an electric planer and am quite happy with using it, but not on around twenty beams all planed on 4 sides. Some of them are in excess of 100kg too.

Tomorrow we pour the slab, and it's blissfully dry for the first time in months. I'm back to work after next week so I'd like to get the wall up by then.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
This is a good idea. I'm doing a supply run today so I will pick up a bit of PVC tubing.

E. Thinking about it though the oak is going to be exposed inside and out, so I can always bore through that way to have an above-ground access point.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
We laid the slab today.

We started around 11 and finished around 3, and it went pretty smoothly, no drama. We thought we might run out of aggregate so I mixed in some of the coarse stuff I dug up but ended up with a little extra left over. Pretty pleased overall. Bricklaying will hopefully begin on Tuesday.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The reclaimed bricks arrived yesterday, and I've nearly got them all brushed clean ready for laying. The sand order is behind and unfortunately it's going to rain for the next couple of days so it'll probably wait till next week.

I pondered the electrical problem. While you need to notify the local govt, have planning, and have an electrician fit a cable to the house, you don't need to notify for an extension cable (even if you disassemble, feed though conduit and then reassemble.) So if I run the cable to a normal socket (and don't exceed 13a of simultaneous use) I can do it.

The guy fixing our roof also gave some great advice about the project, and gave me some left over insulation from a other job, which was great.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'll definitely use LED lighting, because of comically small amounts of power and they're very cheap for a self contained unit.

I imagine the biggest current draws will be recharging portable power tools, air compressor and maybe a small heater/dehumidifier. The lift will probably be foot operated.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Let me tell you about reclaimed bricks, specifically ones that are over 100 years old and came out of a garden wall.

I spent 1.5 days just brushing the bricks to get them moderately ready for laying. They are all different lengths so I'm having fun getting to near the end of the run and realising I have to either pick the longest ones to fill a too large gap or the shortest when there isn't enough room.

The splash of concrete grey at the front is where the hose turned itself on and washed all the mortar out of the wall.

Bricklaying is pretty hard but I think I'm getting the hand of it.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Gorson posted:

Reclaimed brick is gonna look great. It also doesn't burn which is great when you're splashing fuel all over like an arsonist (carb work).

I was thinking OSB for the floor but now I think it's a bad idea?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

mewse posted:

To be fair it would be desirable for an arsonist

Do arsonists burn down their own buildings?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Martytoof posted:

Is it too late to consider a steampunk shed?

Maybe just random rear end brass pipes pumping hot water around and occasionally blasting the unwary with hot spray?

I was in a night shift last night, and so was ready to take it easy today. However the weather is turning to solid rain for 10+ days after tomorrow so instead went into a bricklaying flowstate and finished it all. It looks like poo poo because I'm halfway pointed but after it dries I'll brush it off.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not strictly about the workshop, but I built the plinth for a pizza oven today with the left over bricks. The wood order is hopefully coming this week, but otherwise I'll just finish this project first so it's ready for the summer.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Spoke to the lumber guys today, the timber shortage is a bit of a growing problem apparently but it should still be here next week at some point.

In side project news, I spent today making the lintel and door frame, and mortared the lintel in place. Eventually it'll be cleaned up and treated but there's no point until after the top plate has been set on.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There's those bricks, a concrete slab, insulating bricks and the oven itself between the wood and the flames. The fire goes on top, not inside

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The wood finally arrived, even in the midst of the lumber shortage, Brexit, and Slow and Stately: Suez Drift.

It's hard to make out in photos but the wood has lovely grain and is going to look great. Just as well because it's taking up most of the drive.

I did the first beam in about 1.5 hours. My new chisel makes it very easy to cut into the oak, but I may still rent a chain mortiser, to avoid arthritis if nothing else. The weather has been much more pleasant this week so it feels good to go outside and whack my wood around a bit.

In :italy: news, I finished making the tabletop for the pizza oven, it's currently drying on (and probably killing) the lawn.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Small update: had the first proper day of framing today, and the base plates are finished. The weather is turning awful in a couple of days so I'm hoping to get a decent amount done before that happens.

I started putting a bit more effort into making sure my chisel was shaving-sharp and it seems to be paying off. Had to shave a couple of the bricks on the far wall down as they were making the beam sit like a see-saw.

It doesn't look like much, but when I laid the beams down and the joints (mostly) fit together I had an immense feeling of satisfaction. Making things with your hands is great.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
At the end of day 5 of framing, I think I only have one more day to go, weather permitting. I started laying out the frame as pictured to mark the holes for dowels. I'm using an ancient technique called drawboring, which involves offsetting the holes in the mortise and tenon to bind the joints closely together and (hopefully) permanently.

I made my first proper mistake today, probably from tiredness, where I offset the holes in 2 of the joints in the wrong way because I got the topology wrong in my head. It hopefully shouldn't be much of a problem and I caught it on the second joint, but I'm still a bit annoyed at myself.

A friend came over yesterday, and we transferred the top for the oven to the plinth. I'm parking this project probably for a little while because the MOTs are coming up on both my bikes and I want to fettle them a bit first, but realistically I'll run out of time anyway.

There's a yootub channel called Nic Taylor Woodworking which is a great visual reference for this kind of traditional building, but it's also just a really peaceful and quiet thing to point your face at when you have brain melt. There's a good dog and rain.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 12, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thanks, building it myself is probably a saving of at least £2-3k which is reason enough - but I also wanted it as a challenge. I have a long Easter holiday with work so it made sense. It'll be a little shittier for me doing it but that's part of the charm.

Slavvy posted:

I have finally understood wtf you are building. It is effectively a pizza barbecue. I was picturing the type where the coals go in the same hole as the pizza and getting VERY confused!

I think my lovely description was to blame

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I was putting the anchors in the brick today and had the uprights in for alignment .. and realised that it was practically assembled. Neighbour came over and helped with the top beams.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out so far. Needs the pegs knocking in, I'll probably do that next week, then I can start on the walls.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Gorson posted:

Loving the old school construction, that's going to be insanely solid. Is there going to be a veneer of brick over the wood frame?

It's going to be clad externally with weatherboarding over insulation, which is the sort of style around here.
Inside I'm going to sand and oil the frame, and paint the wood behind maybe green.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

I've been waiting about a week for the OSB to arrive to start the walls. It came this afternoon and I managed to get the first skin up and most of the vapor barrier before I ran out of daylight (and DPM tape.)

Tomorrow is going to be a long, long day of trying to get the insulation and outer skin finished, as the 2 month long dry spell we've been having is coming to an end on Wednesday, and I'd really like to have it waterproof by then.

The wall is visible again now which is nice.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not a pretty update but lots of progress. The building is now fully insulated and waterproofed. This lucky because the day after I finished the roof it started raining and hasn't stopped for 2 weeks, nor does it look likely to this month.

I sanded back the beams and am still mulling either oiling them or leaving them natural. I'll probably end up oiling them for the sake of longevity of colour.

I'll skip the external photo as it isn't much to look at. I'm putting off the cladding and roof order because I'm starting to get a little burnt out but will probably do that in a week or two.

Taking suggestions for internals. I'd like to hide the OSB and have a practical/nice looking floor covering. There's T&G chipboard to protect the insulation boards on the floor arriving soon.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm 184cm and the lowest point of the ceiling (the ridge beam) is about 10cm clear of my head. My hands were tied by permitted development roof heights. This is enough room, especially since the bike will be in the middle and there's more room under the rafters.

Sorry man

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Definitely going to have a lot of shelves, which won't get in the way because of the recessed walls. The OSB is just kind of ugly, especially next to the oak frame after finishing.

Somebody at work suggested getting bundles of old maps from eBay and using them as wallpaper, which is pretty cool. I'd like brick slips but that's at the far pricier end of the spectrum. There's also a pallet recycling place 200ft away that I might go investigate for wood.

Page snipe edit: I spoke to the guys at the pallet place, they're letting me have wood basically for free. Pretty cool

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 19, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The workshop is progressing, but it feels slower because the big dramatic change jobs are done and now it's mostly details. Today I filled in the spaces in the eaves ready to be painted, and made a start on the workbench that will slot into the end.

Yesterday I finished oiling the beams. They came out a lot darker than I had hoped, but should mellow a bit over time. They'll also probably look at bit better contrasted with the light grey for the ceiling and with some lighting (the flash makes them look a lot more sepia).

I was going to paint the end wall forest green, but changed my mind after putting down the primer and instead have ordered some blackboard paint so I can chalk things up on it.

Still not sure what to do with the floor lip, it'll probably just be painted then have some beading to protect the edges.

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 27, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Bananas are the devil's own fruit and I won't abide to touch them. Also I'm a softboy and don't drink

The first couple of maps are up, and they actually look pretty cool. I'll take photos when the room is done.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

So this happened. I paused workshop for a couple of weeks because of the lumber shortage, and whilst out dirt biking I managed to jam my leg in a rut, fell over, and caused an MCL avulsion of my left femur. It happened 3 weeks ago and I've only just been able to start walking around comfortably so I spent an hour or two doing "rehab" by fitting some of the cladding panels.

It's pretty satisfying work, but I imagine my enjoyment will diminish somewhat when I have to do the 2 sides that are in a hedge.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Knocked out some more cladding over the last couple of mornings, sadly the rain has been relentless. Now I've got to do the same but while standing in the hedge around the boundary.

I still don't have any bananas

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've used osmo one coat a few times on external wood which works nicely. Fiancé wants the wood to silver like it has on the rear of our house, so maybe after that.

I'm personally all up for oiling it so I don't have to reclad every 10 years or so

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Razzled posted:

man, do you think braces would have helped with that knee injury? i can't decide if i want them or not because they're so expensive and some say uncomfortable to wear

but uh, tearing your *CL sounds awful too

I think they almost certainly would have done, and I'll be wearing them if I continue to dirt bike meaningfully, along with wrist braces. As with anything they probably become ignorable after a few outings.

Sadly I'm reconsidering dirt biking altogether because I have an extremely cool new job that somewhat depends on me being able to hike/climb/ski regularly

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Worked on interior for the last couple of days as the local area is sold out of the cladding screws I need for the last outside face.

I have flooring ready to go after everything else is done, but I'm not sure what to do with the lip between the beam and the floor. I might just paint it black and have done with it but I'm open to cooler ideas.

It's starting to look pretty cool. Definitely going to be a bit wacky. Need to clean up the paint on the ceiling beams.

Gorson posted:

You joined the Finnish military?

If by Finnish military you mean looking after rich kids on the outdoors

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 12, 2021

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Started moving in today. I think I need more shelves but overall pretty happy. There's enough room with the XR on the lift to walk all the way around and work at the desk without banging into things.

Still needs tiles on the roof and electricity, but just getting the tools out of the house and garden shed is a great step.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Think of the shed as a bird box for bearded tits.

Rags and grease are the nesting material

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've been pretty busy and putting off finishing the roof, but I took a punt on 4 cheap, efficient LED floodlights (after doing a very rough LUX calculation) and they make the perfect amount of light. This will come in handy because today I bought this ...

It's a 1980 non running xl125k1 that I'm going to do my first engine out rebuild on and will hopefully become a cheap fun runaround. Since it's 40+ years old it's exempt from tax and MOT inspection, and it's CBT legal for my fiancé to learn on. This thread will probably become about that process.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
If it runs I'll leave well alone, but I'd still like to repaint the cases and the frame.
It looks like the electrics are going to be the biggest thing needing overhaul, and I'd like to switch to 12v. The battery has got to go, I'll hide a small cell pack somewhere.

I'm not precious about keeping it original - but I really dig the tank paint, minus a lot of pitting and rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My understanding is that you can keep the CDI and ignition intact as they draw directly from the stator, but you can switch to a 12v reg/rec and battery with no mishaps. There are total replacement kits out there which include everything but perhaps unnecessary.

The frame does look good now that you mention it. I looked into spare parts before I bought it, and fortunately eBay seems to have them pretty well supplied, I think because the same engine was in many bikes in different frames through the late 70s and 80s.

And you're right about rushing into the engine, I mostly want to because it's fun.