Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shelvocke posted:

Not currently planning on running power out, our house is old and doesn't have anything tappable our front, so running a cable would wash out the budget.

I plan on working in there during the daytime and the windows are south facing so should provide enough light. That said, I'll be putting up some 12v led work lights in corners that will only draw around 8-10 amps, and I can run them off either the 280ah Lifepo4 battery or run a cable out if I'm working into the evening. I can carry the battery inside to charge every now and again.

Remind me to get a lift rated for a Fat Bob

Love garage threads.

You may want to rethink power. For an idea on cost and labor, I replaced my line going out to the garage bumping it up to a 50A circuit for a 220V outlet and several more 15 and 20 amp outlets. This required a 6 gauge wire, run was about 45 feet, wire was $2/ft at the time for underground cable. I also added a sub box, but that was donated. Outlets, hardware, and termination equipment comes out to around $5 per 2 outlets, double or triple that if GFCI.

You wouldn't need 50A but a single 10 or 12 gauge line would be far far cheaper than my 6 gauge especially if your run is shorter and would support a 20A circuit. Of course, if you can't tap into your power from the front of the house you'll have to figure out some way to get the wire into your box. I would run the cable and terminate it to a single outlet or small sub box even if it's going to up your cost a bit. I can never get enough power outlets, never get enough light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah at least having something you could plug in when you need it is going to make worlds of difference. It certainly wouldn't be code (UK, I think?) and would be hackey but you could bury a beefy extension cord or run it through pvc or conduit. How deep you would need to bury it would depend on climate.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Reclaimed brick is gonna look great. It also doesn't burn which is great when you're splashing fuel all over like an arsonist (carb work).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

pun pundit posted:

Our pre-industrial ancestors worked on their transportation in unpowered sheds lit by open flame or natural light, I'm sure it will be fine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shelvocke posted:

I was putting the anchors in the brick today and had the uprights in for alignment .. and realised that it was practically assembled. Neighbour came over and helped with the top beams.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out so far. Needs the pegs knocking in, I'll probably do that next week, then I can start on the walls.

Loving the old school construction, that's going to be insanely solid. Is there going to be a veneer of brick over the wood frame?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gently caress! Sorry about your gam.

Can I get a plantain for scale?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's a beauty. Have you considered any stains? I've been using linseed oil on some outdoor projects and really like it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You joined the Finnish military?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yes! Love the maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shelvocke posted:

Another big pause due to work being crazy (thanks Boris) but I've nearly finished the roof. Roofing is something I do not want to do again.
The edge trim and guttering pretty much make it look like a finished building. Just need to do the far side and put the ridge cap tiles on, and we're set.
Electrician some time in the future.

That really ties it all together. One of the hidden features of old-world construction is security, nobody is going to bust in there.