Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd certainly vote for just getting a retractable extension cord on a reel that you can tuck away and unwind when you need it, over burying an extension cord, but that's just because I know I'd personally manage to burn something down by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As an added bonus, if you ever find yourself in Victorian England you'll have no problem finding a job!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it too late to consider a steampunk shed?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks great IMO — a fantastic start :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I've got a big enough pile of bricks that I really should think about copying you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And the bike goes underneath?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks sturdier than my house. Good job!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That is going to look gorgeous <3

e: The workshop not your bones.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 30, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reading through this thread and I wish I’d taken the time to pour a concrete slab for my lovely $1000 home depot “workshop” shed. Instead we put down a square foundation of pavers over crush, then bolted the shed to that, then put down treated plywood as the flooring covered with linoleum. Basically a horrible decision at every stage.

I’m going to spend the first few weeks of usable weather next year tearing out damp and rotten plywood and replacing it with something, I’m not sure what, but basically my plywood flooring is turning to soggy mulch. Surprise surprise — a budget plastic shed is bad at keeping out melting snow and rain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So yeah, I think I can do that. I'll have to revisit how it's bolted down to the concrete but I think for sure I should be able to figure something out to add an airgap. Thankfully when it's not bolted down I think it'll basically be weightless so should be super easy to lift to repair the foundation.

I'm also going to see what other options I have for flooring itself. Plywood looked ugly as sin but MAY have survived if I didn't cover it with something that locked the moisture in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

Another big pause due to work being crazy (thanks Boris) but I've nearly finished the roof. Roofing is something I do not want to do again.
The edge trim and guttering pretty much make it look like a finished building. Just need to do the far side and put the ridge cap tiles on, and we're set.
Electrician some time in the future.

This is INSANELY amazing. I can't believe how good that looks. Having stood up a rickety home-depot plastic shed and turning it into a bike workshop, I now have an appreciation for what a sturdy, well built structure will afford you and I think you're going to be super happy in your new workshop.

Really makes me want to take a summer and re-build mine, except lumber prices mean I'll probably pay twice what I'd want.