Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Keisari posted:

I am interested. I can't seem to find a place where all skills are listed? I really like zookeeper necromancer and wonder if that's still possible. (Lots of minions)

Even before this latest round of updates, Golem-mancers were viable with almost no gear shenanigans up to the late stages of Hell. I never found enough time to properly gear up for the Hell postgame, but I still had an absolute blast letting my golems start the chain reactions and having Corpse Explosion do the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Yes zoomancers are still viable especially with the new golems. A barely geared Downtime took them to tier 2 maps as well! Unsure on how well they perform late late game but we're looking to boost golem aura damage using your character stats (like +elem%) which shouldn't be too hard, just haven't done it yet.... so def viable.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Can I still play ele druid? There are a lot of patch notes and I am a busy man.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

funmanguy posted:

Can I still play ele druid? There are a lot of patch notes and I am a busy man.

Yes, big time

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Big patch with lots of QoL just went out:
code:

RC20
-Many fixes to map layouts and other bugs
-Bulk tinkers! Many new recipes, will be listed on https://d2es.github.io/item-db/items/eclipse.htm
  -Magic and Poison flat damage (horn/fang + key for magic/poison respectively)  =
  -Still working on implementing better melee/range flat damage scaling
-Flat damage tinkers now give 100 damage per tinker, but only usable from level 80 onward.
-Megatinkers for 10x life/mana per use, using Jack of Hearts / Soulstone  
-Can now extract Jack of Hearts, Soulstone and Steak Platter from multistocker using can opener set to perfect gem output  
-Convert Steak Platter to Soulstone using platter + any pgem (add steakplatsoul Inputs=2 Outputs=3 EmptyCube=1 => 3 1z1 1 gem5 to your autotinker.ini, I forgot in RC20)
-PATCH IS REQUIRED IF YOU ARE ON MAPS

Garfu fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Hazel adjusted their d2gl and smooth fps settings to make the game look very D2R-esque, if you're on the fence
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/269205619112673291/1203786513939300402/D2Loader_v1.10b14_Build_On_Oct_29_2003_2024-02-03_18-48-29.mp4

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I know not everyone likes reshare, but Hazel managed to get 3dfx and the minimap working and now my game looks like this:

This is d2fps, d2gl, freeres, and reshade, with perspective & lighting on.

Honestly I can play this for another 15000 hours, 1440p d2 :drool:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
My old skills from being Hog Butcher in the Megaman Battle Network 4 let's play came in handy, as I just kind of crowbarred apart the annoying bits of SGD2Freeres to make it work with all of that nice stuff.

I'm not sure it's entirely stable, but it's forcing 1.10 instead of trying to detect it with a checksum, forcing d2gl instead of trying to figure out which glide wrapper it is, and telling it that the hash for the server it's playing on is single player actually.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Listening to pubbies get mad about "botting" in discord while you steamroll t6 is my new peak ES experience.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

What does that even mean in our context?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

:lol:
I left that huge lobby early yesterday, guess I missed out on the juicy drama.

The only thing people might have a right to complain about imo is being thrust into end game and the accompanying frame of reference without realising that they are missing out on cool gameplay and a sense of progression.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Because they are watching end game characters play or they themselves were given stuff that pushes them to end game? What a weird perspective either way.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Getting rushed, mostly. If you haven't played this mod before, you don't know how much nicer the road from normal to hell is than it is in vanilla.

I'm not saying it's wrong to rush people or anything, I'm just saying first timers may not know what they're missing out on.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Garfu posted:

Because they are watching end game characters play or they themselves were given stuff that pushes them to end game? What a weird perspective either way.

No it was one of the pubbies saying things like “If the core mechanic requires botting (automation) to be competitive and fun, then just fix the game so it’s fun.”

His friend pointed out that is just Diablo 2 and he repeated that line over and over with different wording.

I pointed out that the mod is 20 years old and while dstoning might be fun the first could times that after 48384 attempts it’s not. He just kind of got exasperated and told us we didn’t get it.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Astryl posted:

No it was one of the pubbies saying things like “If the core mechanic requires botting (automation) to be competitive and fun, then just fix the game so it’s fun.”

His friend pointed out that is just Diablo 2 and he repeated that line over and over with different wording.

I pointed out that the mod is 20 years old and while dstoning might be fun the first could times that after 48384 attempts it’s not. He just kind of got exasperated and told us we didn’t get it.

They have a "great" point, they just have the totally wrong perspective on it! Requiring automation to make it reasonable to use the crafting system in our version is...why the automation was added. In particular, that is why it is distributed as part of the actual game (mod). D2hackit automation plugins might be third-party modifications you can fight over in other places, but it is part of the mod and is way the current developers decided to "fix the game so it's fun", which it is!

It would be, as you say, way less fun if I had to manually cube tens/hundreds of thousands of materials onto my gear, a totally uninteresting part of the game that was replaced with some nice plugins. Would it be preferable to not have to configure all your plugin hotkeys for dstone/tinker/other recipe manipulation so upgrading is a more organic part of the game but without the tedium? Sure, but I'm not volunteering to rebuild the entire crafting system built on cube recipes with all its weird hardcoded limitations and don't expect anyone else to either.

If the D2 source still existed anywhere and you could actually go and change core mechanics without incredibly tedious binary manipulation...sure, that would be great. It doesn't though.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Also ele druid calling me, the original vampire survivors game mode

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It’s not even an argument about botting, rather about UI and ease of use. Being tied to this 20 year old game has limitations and one is the crafting interface is super limited.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

wait so he was mad about the autostocker command functions and poo poo like that? wtf lol

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

They have a "great" point, they just have the totally wrong perspective on it! Requiring automation to make it reasonable to use the crafting system in our version is...why the automation was added. In particular, that is why it is distributed as part of the actual game (mod). D2hackit automation plugins might be third-party modifications you can fight over in other places, but it is part of the mod and is way the current developers decided to "fix the game so it's fun", which it is!

Yeah I tried to explain this like, four times. "WELL MEDIAN AND PD2 ARENT LIKE THAT".

Okay.... go play those?

Fajita Queen posted:

wait so he was mad about the autostocker command functions and poo poo like that? wtf lol

No he actually said that the auto stocker command should be in every mod. :laffo:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I would like to train a neural net to play Diablo 2. I think that would be fun. Reward it for experience points gained and new record damage dealt and new areas visited.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Astryl posted:

Oh the "botting" they were referring to were our plugins for automating dstoning and whatnot???? lol. I think DT has had enough and we're going back to forums auth next season.

edit: ah woops this was kinda answered. But still lol

Shuka posted:

That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Also ele druid calling me, the original vampire survivors game mode

Yes my ele druid is clearing t6p8 HC and is fun.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

This mod owns and the love and sweat put into it is phenomenal. :cheers:

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
is kicksin fun in this mod

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Post your builds please.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Astryl posted:

I know not everyone likes reshare, but Hazel managed to get 3dfx and the minimap working and now my game looks like this:

This is d2fps, d2gl, freeres, and reshade, with perspective & lighting on.

looks loving amazing. now im curious if there are there plans to mod from d2r?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

thehandtruck posted:

This is the closest I've gotten w/ fake ray tracing and reflections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf92DVcGzWA

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Around 22 years ago I had to go to truancy court because Diablo II was cooler than civics. I remember that in particular because it was my civics teacher who really took exception to me missing so much class and turned me in, deservedly, deservedly. Thinking back, I actually paid for my Something Awful account with D2 runes, as I didn't have paypal as a kid, you see. Memories. Jokes on me, now schools don't even teach civics so if I didn't learn it then, I'm hosed for life. But Diablo II is apparently always still there. I'm downloading this and looking forward to not having to go to either school OR truancy court now. Thanks goons.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

Not that I was planning on as Blizzard would be far more protective of any public attempts to run a d2r battle.net stack.

In general, we run this old mod for fun, and mainly for SA + friends. If anyone else wanders in and has fun without causing trouble that's fine. It is not our intention to run this as a larger community, as we prefer playing with the folks we've been playing with for the last 15+ years. I also apologize that the installer isn't as easy as a D2SE mod, but we do not want to make it easier for outside folks to install it.

So yeah, it is likely I'll be turning SA authentication back on for the next season, once we've worked out as many bugs as we can in this first new season. That said, I'll be very generous with account activations and sponsor codes so everyone can bring their friends in.

Hope everyone has been having fun!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

funmanguy posted:

Post your builds please.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

funmanguy posted:

Post your builds please.

Necromancer hells gate. Max that, all the synergies, stick some points in curses, then dumped everything into fire and "blood" golem. Golems just act as a distraction while hells gate murders everything.

You can get to hell ND with just golems fine but their damage and toughness falls off in the endgame areas. That's when you switch to hells gate.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

yeah I wanna do necro next!

I've done the classics:
Cold Blast Asn, hit the damage cap
WF/CD Druid, clears t6p8 p easy and not even closed to finished. Will probably just be done and move on to Necro

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

One thing to remember about necro curses: sufficiently geared, you'll hit every enemy loaded on the minimap. Regardless of what's in the way or line of sight.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

One thing to remember about necro curses: sufficiently geared, you'll hit every enemy loaded on the minimap. Regardless of what's in the way or line of sight.

I did take a necro to a5 H level 85 in about 2 hours in SC but the next one will be HC. They are good. Also I made AC not overwrite curses so go buckwild.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Garfu posted:

I did take a necro to a5 H level 85 in about 2 hours in SC but the next one will be HC. They are good. Also I made AC not overwrite curses so go buckwild.

doing god's work

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I dont understand how, other than just doing it for so long and having it ingrained, you can do the 1-85 grind in a couple of hours. I don't know how long I've been playing this time, maybe like 8-12 hours and I'm not even 60 I don't think (skellimancer)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Target Practice posted:

I dont understand how, other than just doing it for so long and having it ingrained, you can do the 1-85 grind in a couple of hours. I don't know how long I've been playing this time, maybe like 8-12 hours and I'm not even 60 I don't think (skellimancer)

Some builds just be like that. Specifically golemancer in this iteration and this is post nerf that cut their damage 3/4ths. But also yes I know when to do things at exact points in the progression in order to make it as fast as possible. Once you get to normal Anya it's like a half hour until A5H

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Target Practice posted:

Keys getting that teleport ring, knowing what gear to chit, and where to level.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

I will write a how to/post my settings and shader set up if people want me to, but this is the absolute max you can get this to run:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Astryl posted:

I will write a how to/post my settings and shader set up if people want me to, but this is the absolute max you can get this to run:

Please do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

-> Assuming D2 ESE is installed and up to date.

-> Assuming Hazel's d2gl patches are installed.

Two best resolutions are: 1536 x 864 & 2048×1152. Any more than this and the graphical bugs that come with pushing the engine that far make it basically unplayable.

At both of these resolutions, you will get tile loading bugs on the edges of your screen, less so at 864p.

Replace this section of SGD2Freeres.json with the following:

code:
   "Ingame Resolutions": [
            "640x480",
            "800x600",
            "856x480",
            "1024x768",
            "1068x600",
            "1280x720",
            "1536x864",
            "1664x936",
            "1920x1080",
            "2048x1152"
        ],
D2GL settings:

The absolute best choice is FSR\SMAA+FSR.SLANGP (6 Passes), however when using this shader due to the nature of FSR, the UI will appear flicker. Although usable, it may not be desired for some users.

Text scale is set to .95.

-> Download and install Reshade

Replace the /reshade-shaders/ folder (overwrite entire contents) & place "astryls-d2c-r.ini" into your base Eastern Sun Eclipse folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f3888d7t87kaqvdtyx8nu/Astryls-Eastern-Sun-Resurrected.zip?rlkey=xc4nc9jtz3jogcz5v0uiyvjty&dl=0

Launch D2 ESE, open your reshade settings (default key is Home) and from the preset menu select "astryls-d2c-r" and click apply.

1536x864:

2048x1152:

Astryl fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 18, 2024