Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

I must have some gigantic rose tinted glasses on because i remember skills being changed from vanilla D2 to a much larger degree than they are.

I made a sorc and a zon yesterday and their skill trees are virtually identical with vanilla. If you had asked me a couple of days ago i would have said that 90% of the skills was reworked or different entirely.

You may be thinking of certain playstyles, like Lit Barbs or Immolate Sorcs. Only a few skills were changed or added, but it enabled a bunch of entirely new character concepts.

Eastern Sun kind of sits in the midpoint between the minor tweaks of Slash Diablo and total overhauls like Median XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Russian Remoulade posted:

Any fun build suggestions? I think I've played a lightning barb every single time a new ES server pops up and it's probably time for a change.

I will forever stan an elemental charge (your choice) Assassin with maxed out Shadow Warriors. It's a bit slow and a lot janky but my god, the fireworks. I prefer using Phoenix Strike for flashiness and lazy access to all three elements, but the single-element skills will do more damage.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Highly incorrect.150 flat dr will keep you from taking damage from most non elemental enemies in hell, and maybe more importantly, renders faster hit recovery irrelevant, because nothing will reach the threshold of damage required for a flinch. 100ish plus 50% does pretty well unless you're cursed.

It also renders you immune to physical damage over time abilities like diablo's lightning flame thrower, or those wyverns that toss tornadoes in naraku

It doesn't take a ton of it to make it work.

Thank you for coming to my DR TED talk.

Thanks for the hot tip, my merc was occasionally getting mulched by Izual boss packs that all decide to instantly Hell's Gate in unison, but adding ~60 magic DR to his otherwise garbage gear lets him tank it like a champ. It'll cost a bit more for tornado immunity but overall cheap and effective stuff.

Also not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but Act 2 mercs can equip throwing spears and shields for some added Dstone space.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Maybe this time I'll actually make my ill-advised twinked-to-hell Shadow Warrior Sin instead of getting a GF Barb up to speed and immediately getting bored.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Astryl posted:

Report back if you do.

Not sure if I'll make it, so in case I don't here's an effort post about Why Shadow Warriors Rule

Shadow Warriors is objectively the mechanically coolest skill in any ARPG ever. It's super complex and would be a nightmare to balance in a modern games, so the closest you get are watered-down versions like D3's Mirror Image and PoE's Mirage Archers. It's also absolute garbage in vanilla D2, ignored or removed in most other D2 mods, and a completely viable and potentially powerful build in Eastern Sun.

The problem some ES summons have in general is that the Summon Damage attribute only affects melee damage, like Skeleton basic attacks. This severely limits the scaling of elemental-focused summons like Vampires. But Phoenix Strike Shadow Warriors can do just fine, even if they can't hang with the big boys, and they scale really well. To understand why, here are the skill level mechanics from an excellent post that is old enough to vote:

quote:

shadow skill_level for when she casts skill X =
half of the player's current skill_level in X (including +skill adders *now*)
rounded down, plus
one third of the shadow's skill_level when she was summoned (including +skill adders *then*)
rounded down,
with a minimum skill level of one.

This means snapshotting is possible, but no one is sweaty enough for that and ES has enough +skills flying around that it's not really necessary. What's more important is that, since ES lets you get dozens of +skills, it's not out of the question to hit 100 in every skill. This gives your Shadow Warriors effectively level 83 in every skill you have maxed; slap on Aura of Divinity somewhere and we can reach a nice clean 85.

Which is cute, but a level 85 Phoenix Strike ain't poo poo by itself. We can't d-stone our shadows' equipment, so we need to scale it some other way. Let's look at how Shadow Warrior skills synergize:

quote:

The skill the Shadow casts can indeed be synergized! This is because anytime the Shadow casts a skill, she remembers the level she cast it at (from the formula alluded to above). Thus she "learns" (or "burns in") skills, whose slvl then becomes helpful as a synergy to other skills she may cast.

Okay, so Shadow Warriors get the same list of synergies as your Assassin. This means any given shadow can access six of Phoenix Strike's seven synergies (Dragon Claw/Iagari require different weapons), and each of these synergies adds 10% to all damage dealt by Phoenix Strike. There are two very, very important things to remember, and they make this whole build tick:
  • As mentioned above, Shadows' synergies are based on their skill level, not yours. So if you have one point in Claws of Thunder, +99 to all skills and Aura of Divinity, your Shadow Warriors act like they have 85 hard points in the skill.
  • Additionally, :siren:Shadows' synergies are uncapped:siren:. The earlier example from ES results in a level 85 synergy to Phoenix Strike, adding 850% damage. Doing this for all six skills gives your Shadows a 5,100% multiplier to their Phoenix Strike damage.
I did the math like four servers ago and it should theoretically be at least pretty good, even accounting for the lack of d-stoning. I haven't played with ribbons too much so I'm not sure if caster mods will give your shadows some additional elemental damage, but if so lmao.

Anyway the skill is fun if janky even at relatively low investment, so high investment should be a good deal even if you don't crash the server every time you cast something like a Litbarb can. Phoenix Strike Shadow Warriors are also bar none the flashiest class, with meteors, lightning and frozen orbs flying randomly across the screen at all angles at all times.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Each year I have less time to grind but drat if I'll ever let that stop me trying.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Creeping Doom Druid has decent aoe and his nuke stuns.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

These changes look awesome, and the new endgame Assassin claws seem absolutely cracked.

Is it possible to swap characters from MP to SP? I want to play MP to help out people/ask for help/goof around, but with real life commitments it's going to take me weeks to get to the levels most folks on the server will get to in days. I'd love to be able to swap my characters to SP mode if/when the ladder resets so I can keep screwing around at my own pace.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

In that case, I'll definitely do MP again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

This mod owns and the love and sweat put into it is phenomenal. :cheers: