Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Is it a state gig or a municipal gig? Doesn't WA State allow you to contribute to the pension (option 1) and then also if you want you can avail yourself of option 2? Can you just do both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

State gig. I can get either the pension, or the matching, but not both. There's also a hit to my Social Security if I go with the pension (assuming it's still around).

I knew I wasn't totally crazy. Here's from the WA Retirement website, for Plan 3:

Plan 3 is two separate accounts: An employer-funded pension, and an investment account you fund with your contributions. Having two separate accounts means you can withdraw from your pension or investment account without affecting the other account.

https://www.drs.wa.gov/choice/

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I may be moving to WA soon with a salary commensurate to yours, and was curious about this as well. It seems that the website uses very simplistic terms so the devil is probably in the details. If you know more than that website you know more than me.

Thanks for posting this thread! It's useful to me too!