Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pilot episode was pretty good.
Looking forward to seeing what version of Superman Red/Superman Blue gets used for the twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

I hope they maintain the, I guess implemented by Bendis, canon that Lois is a great investigative journalist but can't spell worth a drat and all her first drafts are riddled with awful typos.

Dude, that goes back to the 1978 film.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Dude, that goes back to the 1978 film.

I never watched it so that shows how much I know. It only came back into the comics recently when she got renewed focus as far as Ican recall.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That idea might have worked in the typewriter era but it's totally implausible in the modern age of spell checkers and auto correct.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You'd think that, but many of the work emails I receive tell a different tale.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

That idea might have worked in the typewriter era but it's totally implausible in the modern age of spell checkers and auto correct.

I believe that's addressed in the comics and it's essentially that Lois just refuses to use spell/grammar check. I feel like auto-correct would just cause more problems.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Lord Bude posted:

This is ducking wrong.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xelkelvos posted:

I never watched it so that shows how much I know. It only came back into the comics recently when she got renewed focus as far as Ican recall.

You should definitely check it out. Superman '78 is still pretty much the blueprint for Superman in any sort of film or TV show.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Watched the pilot today its great and surprisingly shot at film quality?

A few things I hope going forward:

1) Don't turn the boys evil or get tempted by the darkside.
2) Keep the interpersonal drama somewhat low key.
3) at some point it will be interesting to see how they fit in the greater Arrowverse unless this is a soft reboot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mooseontheloose posted:

Watched the pilot today its great and surprisingly shot at film quality?

A few things I hope going forward:

1) Don't turn the boys evil or get tempted by the darkside.
2) Keep the interpersonal drama somewhat low key.
3) at some point it will be interesting to see how they fit in the greater Arrowverse unless this is a soft reboot.

At least give us cool Aunt Kara show up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

You should definitely check it out. Superman '78 is still pretty much the blueprint for Superman in any sort of film or TV show.

It's also what Bendis would've used as a touchstone. He literally called a faux-Lois in one of his Marvel comics Teri Kidder, after the two most famous (at the time) actors to play Lois.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Its funny how in Jonathan's room, he's got a can of pop turned away from the camera so you couldn't see the lable, but it clearly shows the Canadian style nutritional info on the can. It's like seeing a Tim Hortons in the background of one of the early Batwoman episodes.

Having the super sons being teens is way better than them being kids. Hopefully the show does well with the setting.

If Arrowverse Gotham is on the Great Lakes a Tim Hortons wouldn't be that out of place, but I'll give you Canadian labels.

I randomly remember how when Thea was in that fictitious South American country with Malcolm the restaurant tables all had Tapatio but I chalked it up to the American tourist trade.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

At least give us cool Aunt Kara show up.

Cousin Kara.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Cousin Kara.

Aunt. Kara is Clark's cousin so she's their aunt once removed

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Aunt. Kara is Clark's cousin so she's their aunt once removed

That’s not how aunts work dude. She’d be their Aunt if she was Clark’s sister. She’s Clark’s cousin, that makes her a first cousin once removed to the boys. There’s no such thing as an aunt once removed. Only great Aunts (sister to one of your grandparents) great-great aunts etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure it is fine to call her an Aunt. It sounds way less complex than cousin twice removed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure it is fine to call her an Aunt. It sounds way less complex than cousin twice removed.

People don’t go around calling each other ‘first cousin once removed’. It’s a technical term. They just go with cousin; and in person two cousins would generally just be on first name terms with each other.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s not how aunts work dude. She’d be their Aunt if she was Clark’s sister. She’s Clark’s cousin, that makes her a first cousin once removed to the boys. There’s no such thing as an aunt once removed. Only great Aunts (sister to one of your grandparents) great-great aunts etc.

Second Aunt was the term I was looking for

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Second Aunt was the term I was looking for

Also not a thing or applicable. As I said, she would have to be the sister of Clark, or his parents/grandparents etc to be an aunt.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

My cousin's kid calls me Uncle. And my brother's kids call our cousin Aunt.

Sure, it's not correct but that's what used.

Of course we speak Spanish so maybe it's different but I don't really think so?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Adnor posted:

My cousin's kid calls me Uncle. And my brother's kids call our cousin Aunt.

Sure, it's not correct but that's what used.

Of course we speak Spanish so maybe it's different but I don't really think so?

In English it's more common to use "Aunt" or "Uncle" for your parent's similarly-aged friends than their cousins. Neither would be that unheard of, it's just not like languages where it's a more universal generic honorific for older adults.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah the twins are gonna call her Aunt Kara, y'all. She's Clark's cousin, she's not their cousin.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah the twins are gonna call her Aunt Kara, y'all. She's Clark's cousin, she's not their cousin.

They’re still cousins. Go look up how cousins work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is an extremely weird hill to die on.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tbh, the kids might not know Kara is their cousin, since as far as the world knows Kara Danvers and Clark Kent aren't related.

But yes, technically she's Cousin Kara (and in the comics that's how Jon's referred to her).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Lord Bude posted:

They’re still cousins. Go look up how cousins work.
I did, it's called "Having actual experience." :buddy: I call my parents' cousins my uncles and aunts, not my cousins. My nephews call my cousins their uncles, not their cousins. A bunch of people here have also told you that's how it works in their families too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I did, it's called "Having actual experience." :buddy: I call my parents' cousins my uncles and aunts, not my cousins. My nephews call my cousins their uncles, not their cousins. A bunch of people here have also told you that's how it works in their families too.

That may be a regional colloquial usage but it's still not correct.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

That may be a regional colloquial usage but it's still not correct.

This is the dumbest argument.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Also not a thing or applicable. As I said, she would have to be the sister of Clark, or his parents/grandparents etc to be an aunt.

Second aunt is a thing and a real term as an alternate for "once removed" as they are the mother of your second cousin. I can pull up wiktionary for you or something, but idk if there exists a definitive database for familial terms in english.

howe_sam posted:

Tbh, the kids might not know Kara is their cousin, since as far as the world knows Kara Danvers and Clark Kent aren't related.

But yes, technically she's Cousin Kara (and in the comics that's how Jon's referred to her).

The kids didn't know their dad was Superman until the pilot, so I assume the boys are gonna ask about that or are at least smart enough to figure it out since the world knows Superman and Supergirl are related.

Related to that, I hope they take a trip to Argo City at some point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I mean who knows what the show will do, but all I can say is that canonically Jon calls her cousin. So y'know, make of that what you will. I know this much, it would make a delightful symmetry with all the "your cousin" references in the first season of Supergirl.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Second aunt is a thing and a real term as an alternate for "once removed" as they are the mother of your second cousin. I can pull up wiktionary for you or something, but idk if there exists a definitive database for familial terms in english.

The kids didn't know their dad was Superman until the pilot, so I assume the boys are gonna ask about that or are at least smart enough to figure it out since the world knows Superman and Supergirl are related.

Related to that, I hope they take a trip to Argo City at some point.

If they do, they can visit Kara’s mother; who would actually be their Aunt.

Wasn’t there an episode of supergirl where Kara
Introduced Clark to Cat Grant as her cousin? If so then it’s fair to assume Kara has at least met the kids as Kara.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 28, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

The Lord Bude posted:

Introduced Clark to Cat Grant as her cousin? If so then it’s fair to assume Kara has at least met the kids as Kara.

But legally Kara and Clark aren't cousins, so that makes Kara a filthy liar and she should be sent to jail for 1000 years for not using The Technically and Legally Correct Definition of Cousin.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm pretty sure Kara hems and haws when Cat asks her how she knows Clark and eventually lands on mutual friend through James, but it's been years since I last watched that episode so my memory could easily be wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

But legally Kara and Clark aren't cousins, so that makes Kara a filthy liar and she should be sent to jail for 1000 years for not using The Technically and Legally Correct Definition of Cousin.

Yeah they are? Unless I'm misremembering, Jor-El's her uncle which makes them cousins. Whatever

muscles like this! posted:

This is the dumbest argument.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah they are? Unless I'm misremembering, Jor-El's her uncle which makes them cousins. Whatever

I'm talking about Kara and Clark, 100% human US citizens from different families.

Also I was pretty clearly just mocking that pedant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jassa posted:

I'm talking about Kara and Clark, 100% human US citizens from different families.

Also I was pretty clearly just mocking that pedant.

At least we're not in like c. winter break 2017 Flash Thread territory of "but Barry and Iris can't get married, that's actually somehow incest when you really think about it, checkmate nerds!" yet. That prompted like a page and a half derail of goons getting all sweaty trying to work out the (incorrect) relationship dynamics until the mods swooped in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The kryptontonian aunt/uncle/cousin dynamic is totally different than on earth.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

nine-gear crow posted:

At least we're not in like c. winter break 2017 Flash Thread territory of "but Barry and Iris can't get married, that's actually somehow incest when you really think about it, checkmate nerds!" yet. That prompted like a page and a half derail of goons getting all sweaty trying to work out the (incorrect) relationship dynamics until the mods swooped in.

Joe made it weird when he says he’s so proud of his son and daughter for getting married.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BrianWilly posted:

I did, it's called "Having actual experience." :buddy: I call my parents' cousins my uncles and aunts, not my cousins.
Your actual experience is not universal. I refer to my parents' first-cousins (and their kids - and my first-cousins' kids) as cousins. "Cousin" is just a convenient term that covers anyone who's vaguely related to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tiggum posted:

Your actual experience is not universal. I refer to my parents' first-cousins (and their kids - and my first-cousins' kids) as cousins. "Cousin" is just a convenient term that covers anyone who's vaguely related to you.

Your actual experience is not universal. In my family anyone vaguely related to you who was older wasn an aunt or uncle. Anyone younger than your parents was a cousin.

Now the real question is what will Jonathan and Jordan call the alternate universe Brandon Routh Superman when they reveal the multiverse is still around and he comes to visit?