Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think Manheim just hit the "Bizarro-load" of access to Superman's blood, and I foresee another showdown with him this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I think they'll always keep the DoD around because it's a useful cop show shortcut for plotting but it's great that they're eventually always shown as being a lot of trouble.
The sentimental stuff with the rest of the cast is really good, they don't settle on obvious emotional stories.
So far, the cancer storyline is a big showcase for Elizabeth Tulloch, but it's amazing how much emotions they can get just out of Tyler Hoechlin earnestly listening to cancer patients' stories.
Good show!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What do you suppose the chances are that Matteo turns out to be Bruno’s son or something?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

What do you suppose the chances are that Matteo turns out to be Bruno’s son or something?

Before you said this: 0%. Now you have cursed it into existence!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Matteo Mannheim is a super comic booky name too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It just all seems a bit convenient. This kid is going to tremendous lengths and spending a considerable amount of money to track down and date a girl who attended his school for like 3 days. Not to mention he’s getting a big chunk of screen time and I feel like if the show is going to spend so much effort on this side plot I think there’s a decent chance it’s going to tie into the A plot somehow.

On an unrelated note I love the new Jonathan actor so much more than the old one; I wish they’d cast him from the beginning.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm going to be completely honest, I had it in my head that Nat was gay, and that last season they were setting up a triangle between her Sarah and Jordan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I was also picking up on that vibe but I can understand not wanting to double down on Jordan being "antagonized" by gay relationships. Could read weirdly.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am down for more Bizarro. He went out like a scrub last season, although I did come around on that General.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
drat it get a new schtick, another Bizarro?

E: This episode also hit a lot close to home and made me cry. I have lost a lot of people I care to cancer.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 13, 2023

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

nunsexmonkrock posted:

drat it get a new schtick, another Bizarro?

E: This episode also hit a lot close to home and made me cry. I have lost a lot of people I care to cancer.

Yea, I felt that too. When I saw the cancer reveal my heart rate actually ramped up quite a bit. I have a family member dealing with breast cancer right now too and I almost quit the show right then and there. And of course they’ll just magically cure it because plot armor. :(

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

jiffynuts posted:

Yea, I felt that too. When I saw the cancer reveal my heart rate actually ramped up quite a bit. I have a family member dealing with breast cancer right now too and I almost quit the show right then and there. And of course they’ll just magically cure it because plot armor. :(

Imagine having Lois actually die... and it sticks. I love the actress but imagining a Superman without Lois Lane is actually kind of exciting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, probably not going to kill Lois on a show called "Superman & Lois"

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

jiffynuts posted:

I also just found out today that my husband might have pancreatic cancer - and needs a test next week to check. I think that is one of the uncurable ones. My temperment with people has been through the roof - he doesen't see it but I will lay down in the couch and cry into a pillow. I have been with him for over 20 years and halloween will be 11 years married. He tells me he just wants me to dump his body into the river, which will not happen.

Sorry I am upset and just venting.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Hugs for the previous posters. :glomp:. This time of year hits me hard because I lost both a good friend and my mom, both cancer, in April (not the same year, but it kinda fucks up what used to be my "yay! It's spring!" feelings). Parts of this season have been kicking me in the emotional guts, this episode in particular for some reason.

But we're stronger than we think we are, guys.

Edit: can someone with better posting images chops and less teary eyes post the original All Star Superman panel of that line? I fuckin' cried so hard during the redux of that scene, that was an absolutely beautiful take on the original, having Lois say it.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 14, 2023

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

muscles like this! posted:

Well, probably not going to kill Lois on a show called "Superman & Lois"

I know it would be a bit much based on the name of the show, but they did do a new opening for Bizarro Superman, so why not Superman & Lois? Superman & Kids? Superman & Bizarro: The TV series? Superman & Bruno?

I've hated this cancer plot since it started but now that I've read some other posters talk about cancer, I hate it even more because they're right that there will be a total magic hand-waive of the cancer away, trivializing what little good they could get out of having this storyline in the first place. Either Lois dies or this whole plotline is the loving worst.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Superman & BRUNO!? What could possibly happen to make the title of the show change to that!?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

delightful posted:

Imagine having Lois actually die... and it sticks. I love the actress but imagining a Superman without Lois Lane is actually kind of exciting.

"Powerless" wasn't a very good show, but it did have this one really great gag in which Lois Lane dies and everyone takes for granted that Superman is going to turn back time, so they can do whatever they want with no consequences. But then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WdZBBnRAo

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I don't think they're going to magically hand-wave it away, not with how they're presenting it so far.
It would just feel irresponsible and thoughtless to do that if they insist in treating the disease in such a realistic fashion.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m convinced Lois is going to end up getting supermans blood in her giving her powers and curing her cancer

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m convinced Lois is going to end up getting supermans blood in her giving her powers and curing her cancer

I mean the ingredients are there, but it feels like a terrible solution in a show that just had Superman earnestly listening to cancer patients' battles.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

delightful posted:

Either Lois dies or this whole plotline is the loving worst.

The gently caress? Isn't this over correcting in the opposite direction?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Having Clark's blood be a cure for cancer would also be pretty messed up because then you would need to hand wave away why they don't use it for everyone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Superman and Bizarro Lois

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Having Clark's blood be a cure for cancer would also be pretty messed up because then you would need to hand wave away why they don't use it for everyone.

If they don't get another season due to all the CW Bullshit they should do this. Have Superman cure all disease on Earth, go wild with the final episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SimonChris posted:

"Powerless" wasn't a very good show, but it did have this one really great gag in which Lois Lane dies and everyone takes for granted that Superman is going to turn back time, so they can do whatever they want with no consequences. But then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WdZBBnRAo

I enjoyed that show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I expect that they'll try it and it'll give her powers, but it's only temporary and helps less and less over time (or also makes the cancer stronger).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Great episode this week I thought.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

The Lord Bude posted:

Great episode this week I thought.

I wanted to kick myself for not seeing Peia as the swirly face villain sooner. As soon as a background character in a superhero show gets 2 or more scenes they are definitely the masked villain.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This season has been absolutely hitting on all cylinders, really great stuff.

delightful posted:

I wanted to kick myself for not seeing Peia as the swirly face villain sooner. As soon as a background character in a superhero show gets 2 or more scenes they are definitely the masked villain.

I figured it out about 10 minutes before the reveal. It all makes sense and I'd be curious to rewatch all of her appearances and see if I missed any other hints.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nu-Jon is great. His superpower is definitely empathy.

delightful posted:

That was basically what tipped me off. Also her offering to be interviewed seemed a little too convenient.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
This is a real heartwarming heartbreaking show. I love it.

Chrissy and Kyle continue to be all sorts of adorable. I don't know how it works but it WORKS.

NuJon continues to impress. His dig at Jordan was chefs kiss

I kinda guessed the twist but only because the baddie started speaking a fair bit this episode and it clicked. Well done showrunners

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

delightful posted:

I figured out she was Manheim's wife during the restaurant scene but I definitely wasn't expecting her to be Onomatopoeia.

It would be extremely goofy if Jon and Sara started dating because they have loads of chemistry.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Jon and Sara would be hilarious. I dunno what changed behind the scenes but drat every side character is so much more likeable this season!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I dunno if that's a behind the scenes change so much as the plot progressing to the point where more characters are in on the secrets and can therefore have plot involvement beyond getting mad at being lied to.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The writing is so good in this. Superman is Superman because of his inherent optimism and they just gave him a great plot where that was a real, credible emotional obstacle for him. It's family show, but it frequently feels mature in its emotions.
I also thought they nicely added to Mannheim's plate with this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I dunno if that's a behind the scenes change so much as the plot progressing to the point where more characters are in on the secrets and can therefore have plot involvement beyond getting mad at being lied to.

I think the change in casting for Jon has made a noticeable difference to the show as well. Would have been nice to cast him from the start.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
It's nice when the villain has a goal you can either relate to or empathize with. Doing whatever it takes to save your dying wife? I mean it's a bit of a retread of Mister Freeze but I'm willing to put that aside.

This show is good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I think the change in casting for Jon has made a noticeable difference to the show as well. Would have been nice to cast him from the start.

I think the original Jon did a perfectly nice job. How deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From all of this, we're definitely getting a Superwoman episode where, it could be Clark, Sam or even Bruno, offering Lois a version of the cure and she gets superpowers before it wears off and her cancer kicks back in like the others before.