Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh, you hosed IT UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
So glad they decided not to end with Best Picture, what a fiasco

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Omg omg omg

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm behind but I looked at the spoilers and :stare:

what the gently caress were the voters doing for these last two awards?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Shoulda gone with Hopkins over Ahmed, I guess.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anthony Hopkins wins, don't burn down the building because the show is instantly ending with no speech OK bye

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

whos that broooown posted:

That's the thing. It had a prime opportunity to make a big statement but didn't.

So according to who you ask Nomadland either tried to too hard to be important or didn’t try hard enough to be important.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I didn’t see The father and I didn’t see Ma Rainey, so I can’t compare the two but this is all just :lol:

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
That’s so funny
Hopkins was so great but lol

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Father is supposedly really good

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hosed up poo poo, right here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey assholes you don't actually get another chance to give Boseman an Oscar ever, that is what being dead means

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Miching Mallecho posted:

I didn’t see The father and I didn’t see Ma Rainey, so I can’t compare the two but this is all just :lol:

I liked the performances about the same honestly

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Okay for real thought Hopkins performance was much better than Boseman's

I'm sure Antony is trembling at the blowback he might get for this one!!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Good for Hopkins not risking his old rear end but :laffo:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Any time an old British person is up for an acting nod in a movie like 20 people have seen, just assume they’re winning.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

General Dog posted:

So according to who you ask Nomadland either tried to too hard to be important or didn’t try hard enough to be important.

Truly the compromise candidate

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Father legit is good, but STIIIIIIIIIIIILL. It's loving all loving fake and Boseman died you loving clowns.

EDIT: They're equal performances. Just go with Boseman

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Any time an old British person is up for an acting nod in a movie like 20 people have seen, just assume they’re winning.

I want to think the Acedemy.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Im honestly floored.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hopkins did give a better performance than Boseman, though Ahmed was my pick.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha backfired hard there

This is like when Harrison Ford walked out to the Indy theme playing and presented Best Picture when everyone thought it would be Saving Private Ryan, then he opened the envelope and it said “Shakespeare in Love”.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

sportsgenius86 posted:

a movie like 20 people have seen

OK but this describes every movie of 2020 except Sonic

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Hey assholes you don't actually get another chance to give Boseman an Oscar ever, that is what being dead means

His best performance was being James Brown and nobody really noticed that. He just didn't have that much of a body of work for people to recognize and wasn't part of a major cultural huge movie that year like Ledger.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The best part IMO is how Joaquin Phoenix appeared to be loaded up with downers to prevent another wild veganism speech

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Its occuring to me that Viola and Chadwick were robbed and theyll still cry unity.

Just wow.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I honestly thought the big push would be to get him supporting for Da 5 Bloods

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I cannot believe how badly that went at the end. It's staggering.

At least we know for sure now that they mean the whole "independent adjudicators" thing.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

General Dog posted:

He was amazing in that movie, no question.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Jiro posted:

Holy loving poo poo :stare: No wonder they did Best Pic first. They're ending this poo poo and running the gently caress out.

Producers aren't supposed to know the winners, they were totally betting on the big Chadwick homage to close things up.

I feel bad for Anthony Hopkins and am glad he didn't even bother showing up lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Its occuring to me that Viola and Chadwick were robbed and theyll still cry unity.

Just wow.

Have you seen the Father?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That ending was so set up for Chadwick to win that it's almost disrespectful. :psyduck:

Nomadland winning best actress but not cinematography or screenplay is bizarre. I'm glad I didn't enter in a pool this year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pospysyl posted:

He was amazing in that movie, no question.

He and Delroy Lindo probably merited recognition, even though the movie wasn’t great (though probably better than half of the big nominees)

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Chuka Umana posted:

Have you seen the Father?

Not yet.

Ill go watch it though. Dementia is a hell of a thing.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Shneak posted:

That ending was so set up for Chadwick to win that it's almost disrespectful. :psyduck:

Nomadland winning best actress but not cinematography or screenplay is bizarre. I'm glad I didn't enter in a pool this year.

Or to end quick and not let anyone be angry on camera with him losing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Darko posted:

His best performance was being James Brown and nobody really noticed that. He just didn't have that much of a body of work for people to recognize and wasn't part of a major cultural huge movie that year like Ledger.
Ledger still doesn't win that Oscar if he's alive, though. There is such thing as a "oh poo poo you died" vote and Hopkins already had one. The voters knew what they were supposed to do.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Who the hell would be angry about that? Like I'm also kinda bummed Chadwick didn't win, but it's not the first time we don't have the clear favorite not win an oscar. It's not like anyone was gonna throw tomatoes to Anthony Hopkins or anything

e: I mean angry in the dolby theater

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ignis posted:

Who the hell would be angry about that? Like I'm also kinda bummed Chadwick didn't win, but it's not the first time we don't have the clear favorite not win an oscar. It's not like anyone was gonna throw tomatoes to Anthony Hopkins or anything

e: I mean angry in the dolby theater

I think people get upset when the academy prioritizes recognizing actual artistic achievement instead of just chasing trends.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

General Dog posted:

he was good in that but man did not care for the film. I thought it was going to be about how both the soldiers and the Vietnamese would find common ground as they figure out they were both victims of the war. Instead it goes an hour too long and ends with the Americans non-ironically mowing down more Vietnamese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/_Ash_Clark/status/1386519788210565124?s=20