Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yeah, like I'm not saying there weren't great movies from 2007, I just think when we talked about water in the dessert I will gladly take any of the weirdass mainstream movies and romcoms of the early oughts over the dour cynicism of Bush's second term. I think 2002 might actually be my favorite year of that decade cause you've got stuff like Morvern Callar, Adaptation, Punch Drunk Love, Demonlover, The Two Towers, Minority Report, City of God and 25th Hour at the top but there's a ton of great international films coming out (Hero, Weereasthekul's Blissfully Yours, Infernal Affairs, Lilya 4ever, Russian Ark, Irreversible). Then the stuff in between punctuating it is just so strange and in the cultural wilderness: Jackass: The Movie, Cabin Fever, Die Another Day (the weirdest, most confused Bond), Bubba Ho-Tep, The Ring. And more obscure art films like Teknolust, *Corpus Callossum. You get Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks, Decasia and Russian Ark.

I say this not to be dismissive, but 2007's best stuff is all very Dudes Rock, and they strike this very dour tone that gets tiresome when you look at them all back to back even if the individual movies are great. But I don't think they have great support from the broader field. I think the best of 2007's underrated class are probably stuff like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, Murder Party, My Winnipeg, Profit Motive and the Whispering Wind, Trick 'r Treat and the great skateboarding video Fully Flared, all of which I'd rather rewatch than No Country for Old Men if we're being honest about personal taste. But like, I dunno, I just find 2000 to 2002 (and a bit of '03) to be this wealth of oddities. Bush was bad for movies is the real takeaway.

edit: Know what it is? 2007's mainstream movies are way more dire than the early decade. 2001 you're dealing with stuff like Legally Blonde, The Fast and the Furious, Joe Dirt. By 2007 it's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Transformers, Shrek 3, Fantastic Four 2. Our sequel/franchise hell is starting to take shape. Knocked Up is talked about like its the height of sophisticated comedy. Juno is an Oscar darling.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It is insane that Promising Young Woman is getting the praise it is. (She should win for best actor). What a loving mood piece of incoherent Twitter female rage that film was

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
*Reads that bad post*

*goes to see if this poster has an awful rap sheet*

Aha now it makes sense

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LionArcher posted:

incoherent Twitter female rage that film was
Ew.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm still working on catching up with Oscar films, as it's been kind of a bad year for heavy movies, but I checked out Judas and the Black Messiah last night. Fantastic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

You lost me when you said There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men don't hold up.

kinda this

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

They really don't hold up.

Inherent Vice and The Master are PTA best movies, and for the Coen's like anything from the 90's. poo poo I'll even go as far as saying Burn After Reading and A Serious Man are their best 00's output.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I follow a ton of very talented female creative‘s on Twitter. The amount of poo poo that they have to put up with on a daily basis I can’t even imagine. That being said, a lot of the anger on Twitter it’s just that, anger that has no end in sight. But in a sexist society, perhaps there isn’t a way. The movie has the same problem. If it’s trying to make a point, it’s incoherent, and doesn’t follow its own logic internally. That being said, It’s still well-made, and she crushes the role.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Stop

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

They really don't hold up.

Inherent Vice and The Master are PTA best movies, and for the Coen's like anything from the 90's. poo poo I'll even go as far as saying Burn After Reading and A Serious Man are their best 00's output.

You're talking about two(or I guess technically three) of the absolute best American filmmakers we've ever seen. Their entire filmography is a Murderers Row of movie making so naming other great stuff they've done doesn't really make the argument that There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men don't hold up.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Basebf555 posted:

You're talking about two(or I guess technically three) of the absolute best American filmmakers we've ever seen. Their entire filmography is a Murderers Row of movie making so naming other great stuff they've done doesn't really make the argument that There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men don't hold up.

Yeah like neither of those are my favorite PTA or Coens movie but I can’t deny that those films at that moment in time felt very special and maybe it’s personal perspective (I’m 30 now so 2007 was me just starting to watch important “film”) but 2007 absolutely seems like a significant year in film.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I personally think 2006 is pretty solid too (maybe not for great cinema but for stuff I remember being entertained by), and I will defend Miami Vice until the day I die.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cacator posted:

I personally think 2006 is pretty solid too (maybe not for great cinema but for stuff I remember being entertained by), and I will defend Miami Vice until the day I die.
It's insane that Little Children, Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, and Once all didn't get nominated for Best Picture. Also no best Animated Feature for Paprika.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Cacator posted:

Miami Vice squad assemble

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

Miami Vice is a loving masterwork. I've had sort of a rollercoaster ride of coming to terms with my fascination with Mann's police procedurals and my aggressive loathing of police, but I just don't think I'd ever be able to part with Miami Vice. It mashes some 'pure cinema' button in my head and it's really hard to properly articulate why. Just such an intense mix of loneliness, spectacle, posturing, and both exhaustion with and adoration of moral ambiguity.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's some issues with the story and if wikipedia is to be believed, it's Jamie Foxx's fault.

The movie though, looks loving amazing. I love the way it just makes me feel while watching it. The lighting, sound, atmosphere. Mann is a fuckin master at filming on digital.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I really like this essay on Miami Vice, I come back to it from time to time

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2007/feature-articles/miami-vice/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shneak posted:

Exact same sentiment. Didn't expect the Academy to give Sound of Metal the most love it's gotten all season.

I've still yet to see Judas, The Father, and Mank.

I thought it was a great movie but it feels like it'll be one those movies that crop up every other year or so that don't win anything besides best supporting as a signal boost to a lesser known talented performer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I really like this essay on Miami Vice, I come back to it from time to time

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2007/feature-articles/miami-vice/
Another good Miami Vice piece is this podcast episode. It's a very good movie. I like the director's cut, which doesn't make a ton of changes but which does some interesting stuff. I agree with everyone that the opening in the club is much better, and the director's cut loses that, so I wouldn't watch it my first time seeing the movie, but afterwards I'm a fan.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Another good Miami Vice piece is this podcast episode. It's a very good movie. I like the director's cut, which doesn't make a ton of changes but which does some interesting stuff. I agree with everyone that the opening in the club is much better, and the director's cut loses that, so I wouldn't watch it my first time seeing the movie, but afterwards I'm a fan.

Blank Check is my favorite podcast!!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

oh yeah that original smash opening is absolutely priceless, it feels ballsy even today. i really wish the blackhat director's cut would get a proper release, that movie deserves better.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh yeah that original smash opening is absolutely priceless, it feels ballsy even today.

I have a lot of respect for it not being an intro story for Crockett and Tubbs, they're already an established team and the movie is basically a modernized and extended episode of the show.

But back to the awards chat, I find it frustrating that the rental prices for these movies are so drat high. Like they know we can't go to theatres right?? Minari and Judas are just sitting on my Watch Next list in Prime because I don't feel like spending $30CAD on a movie that would cost under half of that in the theatre. And even though Sound of Thunder is an Amazon movie it's not available on Prime in Canada either :canada:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah like neither of those are my favorite PTA or Coens movie but I can’t deny that those films at that moment in time felt very special and maybe it’s personal perspective (I’m 30 now so 2007 was me just starting to watch important “film”) but 2007 absolutely seems like a significant year in film.

I think this is it honestly. It's generational and I feel like if you asked Gen Z kids today what the standout year in film is for them they'd say something more recent relative to when they first got in deep. The same way Gen X always venerates 1994.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also, since this is the thread for awards shows, it probably bears mentioning that 2007 was one of the only years that decade where the Best Picture winner wasn’t a piece of poo poo.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also, since this is the thread for awards shows, it probably bears mentioning that 2007 was one of the only years that decade where the Best Picture winner wasn’t a piece of poo poo.

This is a good point, and felt like long-overdue validation for the Coen Bros, who had had a bumpy early-2000s run.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Of the 21st century:

Top Tier:

2019 - Parasite
2016 - Moonlight
2013 - 12 Years a Slave
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2006 - The Departed
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Pretty Good Tier:

2015 - Spotlight
2009 - The Hurt Locker

Your Mileage May Vary:

2017 - The Shape of Water
2014 - Birdman

Ehh:

2012 - Argo (This one would be fine if it wasn't a Best Picture winner. An entertaining but wholly unremarkable movie)
2011 - The Artist
2010 - The King's Speech

Utter poo poo:

2018 - Green Book
2005 - Crash

Never Seen:

Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, Slumdog Millionaire

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the '10s were definitely a stronger slate of oscar winners than the oughts overall.

of the ones you haven't seen I'm most surprised by Gladiator. it's.... not good, but Joaquin Phoenix is very fun.

A Beautiful Mind.... woof.

I am sticking by No Country being the best best picture winner of the last 20 years (only Parasite comes close)

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 17, 2021

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, Gladiator is a huge blind spot for me as is Million Dollar Baby.

I dunno, somehow not having seen Gladiator has rarely ever been an impediment to my daily life. Like, I get that it's just one of those movies everyone's seen but also don't know anyone who's like "holy poo poo, you have to see it, it's amazing." It's usually just "oh, it used to play on TV a bunch back in the day. I had it on VHS."

edit: Parasite might be my overall fav of the last 20 years, with Moonlight, The Departed and No Country following in that order. I get that The Departed is a "lesser" Scorsese, but his lesser is better than most directors entire careers. As for the Coens, I'm more of an A Serious Man guy.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Gladiator is(was?) 100% lazy sunday tv schedule filler.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Departed would probably be third for me, with 12 Years a Slave after that.

As a card carrying Boston shithead, I love The Departed unreservedly, but looking at it objectively it does have some pretty hard to ignore flaws (Vera Farmiga, god bless her, tries to do what she can with maybe the worst written female character in a Scorsese movie).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Departed would probably be third for me, with 12 Years a Slave after that.

As a card carrying Boston shithead, I love The Departed unreservedly, but looking at it objectively it does have some pretty hard to ignore flaws (Vera Farmiga, god bless her, tries to do what she can with maybe the worst written female character in a Scorsese movie).

In Infernal Affairs she's two separate characters. Scorsese follows the original pretty closely otherwise. I remember when he won the Oscar for Director, the announcer called it a Japanese movie (which Marty corrected in his speech) - how do you gently caress up something like that?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The head of TNT Programming should have accepted the Oscar for Gladiator.

TrixRabbi posted:

Your Mileage May Vary:

I don't want to meet anyone who isn't thrilled for erotic Universal Monster fan fiction winning Best Picture.

The Artist gets too much poo poo. It's great and actually makes a statement about Silent Movies. And it was the best out of what was nominated. 2011 was a pretty weak year in general.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Of the 21st century:

Top Tier:

2019 - Parasite
2016 - Moonlight
2013 - 12 Years a Slave
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2006 - The Departed
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Pretty Good Tier:

2015 - Spotlight
2009 - The Hurt Locker

Your Mileage May Vary:

2014 - Birdman

Ehh:

2012 - Argo (This one would be fine if it wasn't a Best Picture winner. An entertaining but wholly unremarkable movie)
2011 - The Artist
2010 - The King's Speech

Utter poo poo:

2018 - Green Book
2005 - Crash

Never Seen:

Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, Slumdog Millionaire

I would personally swap argo with the hurt locker here imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

And I would personally slot Argo in the "utter poo poo" column. Gone Baby Gone should've been Ben Affleck's Oscar Darling.

I might bump The Hurt Locker into top tier actually, not a popular movie to defend these days but I still think it's quite good.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

The head of TNT Programming should have accepted the Oscar for Gladiator.
I don't want to meet anyone who isn't thrilled for erotic Universal Monster fan fiction winning Best Picture.

The Artist gets too much poo poo. It's great and actually makes a statement about Silent Movies. And it was the best out of what was nominated. 2011 was a pretty weak year in general.

Shape of Water is...cute.

And the 2011 slate was week, it's true, but you had loving The Tree of Life right there! Hugo is a great film too and a much better tribute to silent cinema imo. Though to be fair, maybe The Artist should go in my YMMV column. It's a sweet movie, it's not hurting anyone, it's just a little schmaltzy and disposable is all.

2011 was a great year for films never in Awards contention: Margaret, Drive, Shame, Weekend, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block, Melancholia. Good batch of films that never stood a chance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Gladiator a big thing to keep in mind is that it was one of the first big epic period piece dramas that extensively used CG in that way. People were used to dinosaurs and various creatures and fantastical things but at the time Gladiator felt like the CG was giving Ridley Scott the ability to create something much more convincing and immersive than we'd ever seen before in that genre. There was a lot of hype around just the colosseum scenes for that reason. So that's a major aspect of it's success that doesn't really translate today if you're sitting down to watch it for the first time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

2011 was a great year for films never in Awards contention: Margaret, Drive, Shame, Weekend, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block, Melancholia. Good batch of films that never stood a chance.

Albert Brooks missing out on supporting actor for Drive is a legendary snub

Basebf555 posted:

With Gladiator a big thing to keep in mind is that it was one of the first big epic period piece dramas that extensively used CG in that way. People were used to dinosaurs and various creatures and fantastical things but at the time Gladiator felt like the CG was giving Ridley Scott the ability to create something much more convincing and immersive than we'd ever seen before in that genre. There was a lot of hype around just the colosseum scenes for that reason. So that's a major aspect of it's success that doesn't really translate today if you're sitting down to watch it for the first time.

which is extra funny because those effects look like absolute rear end now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the '10s were definitely a stronger slate of oscar winners than the oughts overall.

of the ones you haven't seen I'm most surprised by Gladiator. it's.... not good, but Joaquin Phoenix is very fun.

A Beautiful Mind.... woof.

I am sticking by No Country being the best best picture winner of the last 20 years (only Parasite comes close)

No Country and Llewyn Davis are my Coen movies of preference. I think it's really unusual to have a movie as bleak and introspective as No Country win the top prize.

Gladiator is kinda low tier Scott, but Joaquin does a good job and I had a blast seeing Oliver Reed before finally drank himself to death :smith:

TrixRabbi posted:

Dear god I'd forgotten

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Those are good movies no doubt, but I think I just like The Artist more than most people. The ending is genuinely heartbreaking and is the first love letter to silent film that actually meditates on the idea that we lost something with the transition to talkies. I think all of those films with The Artist are a genuine toss-up of what I would call the best.

Attack the Block is the correct choice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

2011 top film obviously Johnnie To's double feature about the financial crisis, and two of the best!, Life Without Principle and Don't Go Breaking My Heart.

However Johnnie To's movies were not considered for the Oscar, but his favorite film of that year The Artist, where he was judge at Cannes, did win Best Picture, so in some way, he was real the big winner that night.

Runner's up: Hong Sang-soo's The Day He Arrives, Malick's The Tree of Life, Ann Hui's A Simple Life, Tarr's The Turin Horse, and Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In.