Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Haven't seen Judas.

I feel like father and sound of metal were the tops for me. Those were the ones that really did something with the medium of film.

Minari was excellent.

Nomadland was really well made and had compelling subject matter, but actually watching it didn't feel compelling.

I feel like I liked Mank a lot better that everyone else did. Still, it's not as good as the top three.

Trial of the Chicago 7 was... Well it lied all over the place in really glaring ways. If I were the family of the pacifist guy I'd be looking to sue.

Promising young woman was fun but it was not well written. This also was not a well written movie, but adapting its subject matter from priests to club creeps would have made for a better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I saw all the BP nominations but didn't see Ma Rainey.

IMO "Sound of metal" and "The father" are the must see movies this year and one of them should have won best picture. Minari would have been good, but watching Minari isn't going to make you think about the farming of korean vegetables in Arkansas in the way sound of metal will make you think about the next person you see with cochlear implants or how the father will make you think about the next person who forgot what you told them five minutes ago.

Nomadland winning was pretty meh.

Frances McDormand winning best actress is extreme make-up. Her character way originally modeled directly on Linda May, but they CHANGED THE CHARACTER TO MAKE IT MORE LIKE FRANCES MCDORMAND.

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 28, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jaxyon posted:

They didn't even nominate Ma Rainey's for best picture.

Just amazing that they shut it out on everything but technical.

Just watched Ma Rainey, and I understand why it wasn't nominated for best picture. It's one of those adaptations of a play to the big screen which just shouts out loud "I'm a PLAY! Listen to this great live play banter!"

Chadwick and Viola deserved the actor/actress awards though.