Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It is insane that Promising Young Woman is getting the praise it is. (She should win for best actor). What a loving mood piece of incoherent Twitter female rage that film was

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I follow a ton of very talented female creative‘s on Twitter. The amount of poo poo that they have to put up with on a daily basis I can’t even imagine. That being said, a lot of the anger on Twitter it’s just that, anger that has no end in sight. But in a sexist society, perhaps there isn’t a way. The movie has the same problem. If it’s trying to make a point, it’s incoherent, and doesn’t follow its own logic internally. That being said, It’s still well-made, and she crushes the role.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm curious what people in this thread actually want to win best picture. I'm going through this next week and watching what I haven't seen yet. (I haven't seen Judas, The Father or The sound of Metal yet.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

The only thing that I dislike about Promising Young Woman is that it revels a bit in implications of the main character coordinating the rapes of other women. One of those moments is pretty immediately shown as false, but one of the other moments does hang for a long time and you don't know it didn't happen till the end. A character is still forced to deal with the shame and trauma of thinking she was raped. I think there's an argument to be made about the movie actually creating a dynamic in which some of its audience members may indeed passively cheer on a sexual assault, but it all seems false to me. It also creates this false dichotomy of there being a sort of class of women who are immune from rape or sexual assault. Rape culture is epidemic, and survivors can find themselves complicit in abuse.

I was surprised that the this didn't tank the movie for me and see other people not being able to get beyond it.

I’ve been vocal of not liking it here, but I agree with what you said. Also, the main character breaks her own logic because the plot matters more in the end than the character being real, or being consistent.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dern is so drat great.