Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Reichardt's style is also just not massively appealing. She'll be remembered as one of the greats and get an honorary Oscar in 30 years but her films are just too challenging for a group of people who just nominated The Trial of the Chicago 7 for Best Picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I gotta say, only thing that's really bugging me this year is the fact that movies released well into 2021 qualify while stuff that actually came out in 2020 got snubbed. I dunno, the Grammys have this weird timeframe too and it just annoys the hell outta me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's Chloe Zhao's to lose. Mank might walk away with some craft awards, perhaps Cinematography (though still Nomadland's the frontrunner) but don't expect any of the major statues to go to Mank. The movie is fine but it's an also ran in this race, this year's The Irishman.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

2007 was The Most insane year for film.

It was fine. A few all timers. Any given year of the 60s or 70s was wilder.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I mean it's got a solid top 10, I'd say the best of 2007 is 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. But I dunno, I find the early oughts way more fascinating. 2001-2003 is some weird rear end times as you watch the transition from pre to post 9/11 occur and cinema is struggling to shift gears.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, like I'm not saying there weren't great movies from 2007, I just think when we talked about water in the dessert I will gladly take any of the weirdass mainstream movies and romcoms of the early oughts over the dour cynicism of Bush's second term. I think 2002 might actually be my favorite year of that decade cause you've got stuff like Morvern Callar, Adaptation, Punch Drunk Love, Demonlover, The Two Towers, Minority Report, City of God and 25th Hour at the top but there's a ton of great international films coming out (Hero, Weereasthekul's Blissfully Yours, Infernal Affairs, Lilya 4ever, Russian Ark, Irreversible). Then the stuff in between punctuating it is just so strange and in the cultural wilderness: Jackass: The Movie, Cabin Fever, Die Another Day (the weirdest, most confused Bond), Bubba Ho-Tep, The Ring. And more obscure art films like Teknolust, *Corpus Callossum. You get Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks, Decasia and Russian Ark.

I say this not to be dismissive, but 2007's best stuff is all very Dudes Rock, and they strike this very dour tone that gets tiresome when you look at them all back to back even if the individual movies are great. But I don't think they have great support from the broader field. I think the best of 2007's underrated class are probably stuff like the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, Murder Party, My Winnipeg, Profit Motive and the Whispering Wind, Trick 'r Treat and the great skateboarding video Fully Flared, all of which I'd rather rewatch than No Country for Old Men if we're being honest about personal taste. But like, I dunno, I just find 2000 to 2002 (and a bit of '03) to be this wealth of oddities. Bush was bad for movies is the real takeaway.

edit: Know what it is? 2007's mainstream movies are way more dire than the early decade. 2001 you're dealing with stuff like Legally Blonde, The Fast and the Furious, Joe Dirt. By 2007 it's I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Transformers, Shrek 3, Fantastic Four 2. Our sequel/franchise hell is starting to take shape. Knocked Up is talked about like its the height of sophisticated comedy. Juno is an Oscar darling.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 16, 2021

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah like neither of those are my favorite PTA or Coens movie but I can’t deny that those films at that moment in time felt very special and maybe it’s personal perspective (I’m 30 now so 2007 was me just starting to watch important “film”) but 2007 absolutely seems like a significant year in film.

I think this is it honestly. It's generational and I feel like if you asked Gen Z kids today what the standout year in film is for them they'd say something more recent relative to when they first got in deep. The same way Gen X always venerates 1994.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also, since this is the thread for awards shows, it probably bears mentioning that 2007 was one of the only years that decade where the Best Picture winner wasn’t a piece of poo poo.

Of the 21st century:

Top Tier:

2019 - Parasite
2016 - Moonlight
2013 - 12 Years a Slave
2007 - No Country for Old Men
2006 - The Departed
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Pretty Good Tier:

2015 - Spotlight
2009 - The Hurt Locker

Your Mileage May Vary:

2017 - The Shape of Water
2014 - Birdman

Ehh:

2012 - Argo (This one would be fine if it wasn't a Best Picture winner. An entertaining but wholly unremarkable movie)
2011 - The Artist
2010 - The King's Speech

Utter poo poo:

2018 - Green Book
2005 - Crash

Never Seen:

Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby, Slumdog Millionaire

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, Gladiator is a huge blind spot for me as is Million Dollar Baby.

I dunno, somehow not having seen Gladiator has rarely ever been an impediment to my daily life. Like, I get that it's just one of those movies everyone's seen but also don't know anyone who's like "holy poo poo, you have to see it, it's amazing." It's usually just "oh, it used to play on TV a bunch back in the day. I had it on VHS."

edit: Parasite might be my overall fav of the last 20 years, with Moonlight, The Departed and No Country following in that order. I get that The Departed is a "lesser" Scorsese, but his lesser is better than most directors entire careers. As for the Coens, I'm more of an A Serious Man guy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

The head of TNT Programming should have accepted the Oscar for Gladiator.
I don't want to meet anyone who isn't thrilled for erotic Universal Monster fan fiction winning Best Picture.

The Artist gets too much poo poo. It's great and actually makes a statement about Silent Movies. And it was the best out of what was nominated. 2011 was a pretty weak year in general.

Shape of Water is...cute.

And the 2011 slate was week, it's true, but you had loving The Tree of Life right there! Hugo is a great film too and a much better tribute to silent cinema imo. Though to be fair, maybe The Artist should go in my YMMV column. It's a sweet movie, it's not hurting anyone, it's just a little schmaltzy and disposable is all.

2011 was a great year for films never in Awards contention: Margaret, Drive, Shame, Weekend, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block, Melancholia. Good batch of films that never stood a chance.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I've only seen 3/8 of the movies up for Best Picture this year but so far none of them are really striking me as worthy competitors (Mank, Trial of the Chicago 7 and Judas and the Black Messiah ftr). Nomadland's the favorite so hopefully I like it and Promising Young Woman at least is divisive enough to suggest there's a real movie there to break down.

Real disappointed with Judas. Great subject matter done in by standardized filmmaking. Felt closer to something like The Imitation Game in terms of style and form than it did anything truly radical, even if it's got a solid script and good performances.

I liked Mank but man, it's fine.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Judas & the Black Messiah was disappointing for how it took truly phenomenal subject matter and turned it into just another standard biopic calculated for awards season.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DetoxP posted:

Honestly, not too surprised by that Best Actor win. I haven't seen The Father but there was a lot of hints that there was going to be this "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded" effect where a lot of the voters thought "I know Boseman is going to win anyways, but I voted for Hopkins because he was really good in that movie."

edit: I feel like a lot of people are reacting like the Oscars is one guy or some panel that convenes and jointly picks a winner, but it's just a ton of voters. You're always going to get weird effects like this from voters anticipating other's votes.

It's funny how many people out there still don't understand that no one, not even the producers, knows the winners in advance. So rearranging the show this way was a massive gently caress-up based on bold presumptions.

It sucks for everyone involved. Like, I don't think anyone out there is seriously blaming Anthony Hopkins and everyone who's actually seen The Father (not me) seems to agree it's an amazing performance, but now his win has this weird tainted effect (which would have occurred regardless as people talked about the snub but made worse by the presentation). Soderbergh gets to take the blame as the director making this decision. Who knows how Boseman's widow felt, given that she's clearly had a hard time going out there all awards seasons giving these speeches and was certainly braced for this final moment that's now gone. The Academy itself just showed its collective rear end by not just missing the biggest layup ever but also by once again making a huge deal about diversity and celebrating Black art and then just giving the award to a white dude who's already won (again no disrespect to Sir Anthony but I think we all know what the optics are).

Honestly, just on a moral level, maybe the worst thing they've ever done. Like snubbing Goodfellas or some poo poo, hell even Green Book, man who cares at the end of the day its just movies. But oof, this one was insulting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Soderbergh bet big on what was expected to be a sure thing and lost. Colman was in the UK at the London satellite location but Phoenix said the Academy accepts the award on Hopkins behalf and they quickly killed the show. Hopkins apparently wanted to Zoom in to the ceremony but the producers refused to allow anyone to Zoom so he went to bed that night instead and found out in the morning.

No one would have been as mad if they just moved on to Best Picture. It would have A) Possibly given them time to realize Phoenix's mistake and have Colman give a short speech and B) Given the Nomadland team a chance to pick up the ball and shout out Boseman. It also might have altered McDormand's speech for Actress as well had the picture not just won moments before so that would have been curious (there was no real frontrunner for Actress, I think people thought Viola Davis was likely to pull ahead though it could have been Day or Mulligan and it seemed like McDormand deliberately opted to wing her speech. Perhaps she thought since she just got it for Three Billboards in 2017 they'd go elsewhere, or give Ma Rainey an acting sweep with Davis/Boseman).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

He was a good actor who was in far too few good films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah, he was really just at the beginning of his moment and Black Panther instantly made him a superstar. Like, he was in his early 40s but really only became a Name in 2018 so it still had that James Dean struck down in his prime sting to it.