Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Judas and the Black Messiah was tremendous on every level. One of the best movies in recent memory. Insane to think of it as a standard biopic.

This is a rare year where I’ve seen most of the contenders, partially because I’ve been watching way more movies due to COVID but also because the slate looks genuinely interesting from top to bottom (except I’d rather chop my nuts off then watch Aaron Sorkin attempt to tackle radical politics). I’d rank them:

Judas and the Black Messiah

Sound of Metal (though I can’t say I expected all these nominations)
Minari

Nomadland
Promising Young Woman

Mank

Nomadland is a nice movie and a visual masterpiece but I don’t really understand the universal hype. Promising Young Woman is a mess of a movie but it’s a good time. Weird best picture nominee. I love Fincher but Mank did very little for me and everything about it has already faded from my memory. Haven’t watched The Father yet but I’ve heard it’s good, even though Anthony Hopkins Best Picture Nom Called “The Father” sounds like a parody of Oscar bait.

Another Round also rocks. I assume it’s International win is nigh-guaranteed with Vinterberg getting a director nom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hasn’t Boseman winning Best Actor posthumously been basically guaranteed?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like Yeun isn't really a lead in that movie (the kid is) but it's a minor quibble.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just watched The Father to hit 7/8. Really upsetting movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nomadland is a nice little movie but I agree with much of the criticism that it seems like it wants to say something but is actually completely toothless.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol why did they do Director before live action short? They haven't even done supporting actress but they did supporting actor like 40 minutes ago?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He absolutely tried to gently caress the octopus

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lid posted:

It felt like it was trying to be American Psycho or Hard Candy bit palatable to a wider audience ala Harley Quinn ethos by always pulling up at just the last moment to never feel like you're a bad person. It felt cowardly.

Seems like an extra bad time to reward the script for a movie that ends with the cops taking care of everything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the one award I think should've gone to Nomadland

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Is Father more or less depressing than Amour? I kinda don't want to watch it.

Haven't seen Amour but it's a pretty tough one for sure. How scared are you of dementia or a loved one having it? That's a big factor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

So were they running 20 minutes ahead or...

also how did Questlove direct that movie? It looked like it was all documentary footage.

Docs made of archival footage still have directors. I don't think it's just gonna be live performances either.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Do they really? I'm genuinely curious how that counts.

Someone has to collect that footage and structure it into a film.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are they doing Best Picture before actor and actress????

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I skipped it mostly because I didn’t care for Three Billboards and it seemed like more of that.

You might as well say it seemed like more of Blood Simple

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

It's a hell of a swing considering Marvel's never made the Eternals work in the comics, but I am not betting against the "hey here's a CGI raccoon and tree and their D-list buddies, they are your favorite characters now" studio.

All I know is it’s the movie that forced Jacked Kumail onto us

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

My Face When posted:

Are you saying this like its a bad thing?

Yes. Kumail making the Dreamworks face while his abs somehow also made the Dreamworks face haunted me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was really funny that the BP clip for Nomadland didn't feature McDormand saying anything

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nomadland felt like a nice magazine feature that I would read while killing time at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pospysyl posted:

Underrated problem with putting Best Actor last is that it's no longer in equilibrium with Best Actress. Also, the Best Actor/Actress speeches are supposed to be the big ones, but by the end of the show nobody's interested in a big speech. Naturally, if Boseman had won there wouldn't be a speech at all, and I guess the producers were lucky that the guy they barred from giving a speech over Zoom ended up winning the award.

They would’ve had his widow speak for him like at the Globes.