Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Big lols from me that a big Nolan film came out in a year with minimal competition and hasn't made a dent anywhere on the award circuit.

It's probably karma for singlehandedly raising the body count from this pandemic with its theatrical release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched Judas & the Black Messiah. On a better year this probably wouldn't be getting the buzz it's getting. But nominating both Kaluuya and Stanfield in Supporting Actor seem to be a sure way to torpedo both their chances. Kaluuya's performance was striking enough to be nominated in Leading Actor, imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On an Oscar binge, and I finally saw Minari today. Surprised that it wasn't nominated for Best Cinematography -- film was positively glowing with its photography. The only one I haven't seen are Mank, Sound of Metal and The Father.

The frontrunners should be Minari and Nomadland, two films that would have deserved it even in a good year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nomadland and Minari are by some margin the two strongest films on the Best Picture shortlist for me.

Nomadland is a lock for Best Director after the DGA win, and all signs are it’ll win Best Picture too. The Father’s Hopkins will win for Best Actor and Minari‘s Youn for Supporting Actress. It’s a toss-up for all the other big awards imo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought Hopkins won the SAG (it was Boseman). Haven't seen Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, but yeah they're definitely giving him the posthumous award.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I feel like Yeun isn't really a lead in that movie (the kid is) but it's a minor quibble.
Same. It wasn't a leading role IMO. I was surprised by how small his role ended up being.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah they probably shouldn't have scheduled the award with the absent winner to go last but Hopkins was good as gently caress. This is hardly a case of an undeserving winner.

On that note, Promising Young Women's screenplay was hugely uneven. The premise was great but it clearly needed a few more rewrites. Minari should have won.

All of them pale in comparison to Parasite, Marriage Story and Knives Out, though. 2019 was a good year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree with you, but I'm implying is that you'd have people in the audience feeling bummed in the crowd about Boseman winning and then the very white Nomadland winning out over the film that features a non-white family--which was sure to happen--would not help.
You're getting the pulse on this pretty wrong. There's probably only very few people who think Nomadland beating Minari looks bad. Nomadland is directed by a Chinese director and features the economically downtrodden. It's hardly, I dunno, Ford v Ferrari.

Anyway, I think maybe the bad optics on the Best Actor thing are slightly overblown. I haven't heard too much unhappiness about it online elsewhere.