Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The First Cow snubs bode poorly for the Snyder Cut's chances at next year's Academy Awards.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Oscar Nominations are out!

Really glad the love Sound of Metal is getting. Bummer about Regina King though.

I agree, I was very impressed at how King handled a stage adaptation. I'm quite pleased to see Kemp Powers nominated for Screenplay, though. That was the main thing I was checking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I was surprised at how much respect I lost for Fincher after seeing Mank, and every bit of press I've seen from him since then has caused me to lose more. Like, lmfao:

https://twitter.com/CoreyAtad/status/1377236751043993602?s=19

"Simply impossible to do perspective in 4:3" I say as I make a movie about the production of Citizen Kane.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sponges posted:

Fincher is one of my favorite directors but Mank was a miss for me.

The aspect ratio was the least of its problems. Who cares.

Right, it's not like having an "authentic" 4:3 aspect ratio would have made Mank good. The core problem with the movie is that they never figure out a good reason to make a movie about the screenwriter of Citizen Kane, so when Fincher and Messerschmidt betray their disinterest in and contempt for how movies like Citizen Kane were made it gets right to the heart of the issue.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That's funny, Sound of Metal and The Father are what I consider to be the best of the nominees. Sound of Metal is like Gus van Sant's Oscar bait (especially Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot) in that it's down to earth and intimately familiar with recovery from trauma and addiction. The Father is just experimental and unsettling enough to distinguish itself from other movies about dementia, and it's brave enough to not have any wholly sympathetic characters, which is right for the subject. I haven't seen Promising Young Woman but from what I've read I'm not missing anything.

All around, it's a fairly middling slate. There aren't many outright bad movies like there were in 2019 and 2020 (of what I've seen there's only The Trial of the Chicago Seven that stands out), but nothing really extraordinary either. Mank, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Nomadland are all just mediocre. Minari's good, I wouldn't mind if it won.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

IMO Ahmed deserves it over Boseman, but it's not like Boseman did a bad job. It's funny, I thought he was much better in Da Five Bloods. On the whole D5B really got screwed by its release date, it's way better than any of the other best picture nominees and Delroy Lindo was absolutely snubbed.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I hope all the speeches won't be this long.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I like Dern's glasses and Stanfield's disco collar

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I would have preferred Odom Jr. myself.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The makeup, hair, and costumes literally are the movie in Ma Rainey, absolutely deserved win. Would have been funny if Hillbilly Elegy won, though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This segment is very stylish, I'm impressed

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Did Docter forget to thank Kemp Powers, the co-director who is literally in the room right now?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Been looking forward to this speech, and so far it's not disappointing

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

ah okay

the film that one best live action short has a scene that's a literal recreation of the george floyd death along with the "I can't breath" line

He's stuck in a Groundhog Day time loop, so you get to see it lots of times. It's really gross!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Production Design, the only Oscar Mank should win tonight.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Terrible Cinematography nominees this year. Minari, The Father, Sound of Metal, and Another Round would have been a much more appropriate slate.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Is Father more or less depressing than Amour? I kinda don't want to watch it.

It's extremely depressing, but unlike Amour nobody dies in it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's about time Tyler Perry got his Oscar

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

HER's speech was pretty good

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's a fake movie about fakes. A deeply politically engaged book adapted into inoffensive pap.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hopkins did give a better performance than Boseman, though Ahmed was my pick.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

General Dog posted:

I honestly thought the big push would be to get him supporting for Da 5 Bloods

He was amazing in that movie, no question.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nomadland felt like a nice magazine feature that I would read while killing time at work.

You're in luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Underrated problem with putting Best Actor last is that it's no longer in equilibrium with Best Actress. Also, the Best Actor/Actress speeches are supposed to be the big ones, but by the end of the show nobody's interested in a big speech. Naturally, if Boseman had won there wouldn't be a speech at all, and I guess the producers were lucky that the guy they barred from giving a speech over Zoom ended up winning the award.