Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
They didn't even nominate Ma Rainey's for best picture.

Just amazing that they shut it out on everything but technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

Boseman seems like he was a cool guy but I never thought he was that good an actor.

Boseman was amazing in nearly every single role I ever saw him in.

Are we watching the same movies?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, he was really just at the beginning of his moment and Black Panther instantly made him a superstar. Like, he was in his early 40s but really only became a Name in 2018 so it still had that James Dean struck down in his prime sting to it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Boseman was always great, but I think the dude blew up really fast. His film stuff was always positioning him to be a superstar with sports and action movies. I think the real extra sting to the tragedy was Da 5 Bloods and Ma Rainey were the real hints of where he was going to go on to do.

I'd recommend watching the 3 biographical films he did, he's excellent in all of them:

Marshall
Get On Up

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

twerking on the railroad posted:

Just watched Ma Rainey, and I understand why it wasn't nominated for best picture. It's one of those adaptations of a play to the big screen which just shouts out loud "I'm a PLAY! Listen to this great live play banter!"

Chadwick and Viola deserved the actor/actress awards though.

I thought Fences had that feeling far more and that Ma Rainey worked well as a movie, and deserved to be nominated, though perhaps not win.

But yes both were robbed on acting.