Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

Mulligan v McDormand

This is what people are saying, but Viola Davis did win the SAG award, I don't know why she should be counted out entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Hopkins did win the BAFTA for best actor, which might be the only award that Boseman hasn't won so far

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Riz Ahmed beat out Boseman for actor at the independent spirits :eyesemoji:

Also, watched The Father a couple days back - very good movie, Hopkins and Colman do amazing work.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So weird to have Ahmed present that one lol

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Mr. Nemo posted:

Is the level of activity due to the forums dying or lack of interest in the awards compared to previous years? Or is there another thread i'm missing?

I remember a lot more posting in other years.

I think a lot fewer people care about the oscars this year due to very few movies coming out

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Really funny to have all the justice-y rhetoric and then give best doc to the movie about a white south african guy’s mid-life crisis

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Ah she is so great

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I think a lot of people think sound of metal

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The father is a really really good movie, but it’s brutal

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Chuka Umana posted:

If Hopkins doesn't win best actor I'm breaking stuff

Lol it’s going to boseman

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
It’s so cool that Trent Reznor is such a powerhouse film music guy now

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
That’s a big surprise I think

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Why are we doing this

Just get to the last awards

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
At least Glenn Close wins something

This is so so dumb

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
They must want to end on best actor to boseman

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Nomadland was a good movie

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I skipped it mostly because I didn’t care for Three Billboards and it seemed like more of that.

It isn’t at all like three billboards

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

My Face When posted:

Viola was robbed.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Ahh Joaquin is so weird

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Omg omg omg

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
That’s so funny
Hopkins was so great but lol

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Miching Mallecho posted:

I didn’t see The father and I didn’t see Ma Rainey, so I can’t compare the two but this is all just :lol:

I liked the performances about the same honestly

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
The best part IMO is how Joaquin Phoenix appeared to be loaded up with downers to prevent another wild veganism speech

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Chuka Umana posted:

I think people get upset when the academy prioritizes recognizing actual artistic achievement instead of just chasing trends.

Cmon man

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Chuka Umana posted:

Good year for Asian representation. Was happy to see Zhao recognized before she goes into the Marvel machine even though I wasn't too hot over Nomadland

Really hope she manages to do the thing where she uses Marvel money to make other actually good movies, but not optimistic, don’t think I’ve seen anyone pull it off yet

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

My Face When posted:

What is Zhao directing in the MCU?

Eternals

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Chuka Umana posted:

Rumor has it that Chadwick's tribute would've had Fight Song as its musical accompaniment

This is really dumb trolling. Ma Rainey was a good movie and Boseman’s performance was really powerful. It wouldn’t have just been woke poo poo or whatever to give him best actor

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

I duuuuuuuno, I do wonder if they took into account the possibility on multiple levels. Nomadland beating out Minari after the Boseman snub might have been worse.

I don't think that's the case. No one was expecting Minari to win - Nomadland had won nearly every single other best picture award leading up to this - the bad feelings surround the actor award all came from the expectations of Boseman winning, and everyone expected Nomadland to walk away with Picture.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree with you, but I'm implying is that you'd have people in the audience feeling bummed in the crowd about Boseman winning and then the very white Nomadland winning out over the film that features a non-white family--which was sure to happen--would not help.

Obviously the racial politics is very complicated, but my perception has been that Nomadland has gotten "credit" due to Chloé Zhao being the first woman of color Best Director - and she gave the acceptance speech, so I have a hard time imagining folks being too bummed. Could definitely wrong, and it's all counterfactual anyways, but that's my take.

e: beaten but yeah, basically agreed ^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Vegetable posted:

Anyway, I think maybe the bad optics on the Best Actor thing are slightly overblown. I haven't heard too much unhappiness about it online elsewhere.

double post but it's true that I don't think many people are too upset, mostly just laughing at the producers for loving up and having such an anticlimactic close to the ceremony