Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Yea Kaluuya's performance was very by the numbers. Lakeith should've won it, he got all the scumbag mannerisms down and the sheepish nature of O'Neal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
No one wanted to give a shoutout to Marxist-Leninist-Maoism.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
This is the closest Cranston is gonna get to Oscars and he's not even at the main event.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Crescent Wrench posted:

He already has a Best Actor nomination for Trumbo.

woah

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Ive already mentioned they did the song nominees in the preshow, so probably.

drat that just leaves the filler between awards.

I wish this year wasn't such poo poo.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
What was with the Latasha Harlins shoutout for a doc about the french resistance? Didn't want to be too mainstream in a cynical attempt at zeitgeist chasing and shout out George Floyd?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Kangra posted:

One of the other nominated pieces was about her.

ah okay

the film that one best live action short has a scene that's a literal recreation of the george floyd death along with the "I can't breath" line

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I thought Hillbilly Elegy was done by Ron Howard?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

Production Design, the only Oscar Mank should win tonight.

And it did

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
another one for mank

to be fair the visuals were the only thing that kept me interested in that movie

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
btw does anyone seriously think the Father wont win best editing?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Harrison Ford has accepted he will never give an acceptance speech

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The Father got robbed

Most upsetting award of the night

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
If Hopkins doesn't win best actor I'm breaking stuff

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
oh wait i forgot he was nominated

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
In the Heights is going to get 6.5 on IMDB and 68 on Metacritic.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

At least our play hell is Hamilton and we dont have to pretend to have been bog into the 90s and our defining play is Rent.

Or the 80s and having Cats be the defining cultural moment

What was the theater hell in the 70s, Equus?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Why are they just calling her her? Is she the rapper with no name and just call her by her pronouns

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Her stage name is H.E.R

drat was hoping someone would play along with the joke

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
wtf are they even talking about

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
If they would've put George Floyd on that in memorium scroll my groan would've caused a mild earthquake.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Best picture before best actor and actress?

Don't think I've ever seen this before

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Jiro posted:

Why in the world would they have done that?

White liberal pandering

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Ngl Riz Ahmed would deserve best actor

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Nomadland is the next Crash

that movie is run on the creator's farts

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

It’s a good movie, even if it’s cancelled for not saying “Amazon bad” loud enough or whatever.

It's a movie that's infatuated with its own importance.

It's the Pete Buttigieg of movies

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

smoobles posted:

Nomadland was interesting but also bland and forgettable, like it almost had a point to make beyond "it sucks being poor" but forgot to make it. I guess it won because it reminded us of how sad we are during the pandemic or something?

It felt like rich UCLA film school Hollywood liberals trying to depict a culture they don't understand.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
holy poo poo

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
lol wasn't even there to accept it.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Okay for real thought Hopkins performance was much better than Boseman's

I'm sure Antony is trembling at the blowback he might get for this one!!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Its occuring to me that Viola and Chadwick were robbed and theyll still cry unity.

Just wow.

Have you seen the Father?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ignis posted:

Who the hell would be angry about that? Like I'm also kinda bummed Chadwick didn't win, but it's not the first time we don't have the clear favorite not win an oscar. It's not like anyone was gonna throw tomatoes to Anthony Hopkins or anything

e: I mean angry in the dolby theater

I think people get upset when the academy prioritizes recognizing actual artistic achievement instead of just chasing trends.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Minari is still the last film I have yet to see. I think I might wait until the blu ray comes out.

Good year for Asian representation. Was happy to see Zhao recognized before she goes into the Marvel machine even though I wasn't too hot over Nomadland

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

My Face When posted:

Trends, sure, but its also precedented. It made sense. Boseman was poised, even with so many heavy hitters this year. Ill accept the Hopkins win though.

Im still miffed about Viola though. Where's her drat coca-cola?

Yes she was definitely better than McDermott. I can dramatically look at nature too!!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

They were so confident in Chadwick winning that they literally rearranged the categories to have this big emotional catharsis close the show. Instead it goes to a guy who already won, didn't even bother showing up, and they awkwardly cut to the credits. What an incredible self-own.

Getting flashbacks to Hillary's fireworks show in 2016.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Rumor has it that Chadwick's tribute would've had Fight Song as its musical accompaniment

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I was watching Midnight Cowboy again a few weeks ago and it reminded me of Nomadland in the sense it was a film about extreme poverty in America directed by a foreigner, and it just made Nomadland feel even more colder and detached than it did before. I don't really know how to articulate it yet, but where Midnight Cowboy's eye for America feels a lot more risky and lively, Nomadland feels sterile and cold, like a culmination of dozens of academic journal articles on directing. Schlesinger feels like an excited new voice going to bold places while Zhao feels like another upper class film student doing a film on marginalized people for good liberal points. I'm not sure this makes sense but it's what I could think of off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I'll give Nomadland a rewatch tonight.

I also gotta see Zhao's two previous films

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 26, 2021