Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cacator posted:

He was 100% robbed for The Social Network (which also deserved Best Picture) but I don't think Mank is going to get it for him.

If Fincher deserved a statue for anything it was Zodiac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

Absolutely, but the Academy in its great wisdom did not deem it worthy of a single nomination. I guess it would have gone up against No Country and There Will Be Blood if it had which would've been an interesting race.

2007 was The Most insane year for film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

You lost me when you said There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men don't hold up.

kinda this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

I personally think 2006 is pretty solid too (maybe not for great cinema but for stuff I remember being entertained by), and I will defend Miami Vice until the day I die.

Miami Vice is a loving masterwork. I've had sort of a rollercoaster ride of coming to terms with my fascination with Mann's police procedurals and my aggressive loathing of police, but I just don't think I'd ever be able to part with Miami Vice. It mashes some 'pure cinema' button in my head and it's really hard to properly articulate why. Just such an intense mix of loneliness, spectacle, posturing, and both exhaustion with and adoration of moral ambiguity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I really like this essay on Miami Vice, I come back to it from time to time

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/2007/feature-articles/miami-vice/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Another good Miami Vice piece is this podcast episode. It's a very good movie. I like the director's cut, which doesn't make a ton of changes but which does some interesting stuff. I agree with everyone that the opening in the club is much better, and the director's cut loses that, so I wouldn't watch it my first time seeing the movie, but afterwards I'm a fan.

oh yeah that original smash opening is absolutely priceless, it feels ballsy even today. i really wish the blackhat director's cut would get a proper release, that movie deserves better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the '10s were definitely a stronger slate of oscar winners than the oughts overall.

of the ones you haven't seen I'm most surprised by Gladiator. it's.... not good, but Joaquin Phoenix is very fun.

A Beautiful Mind.... woof.

I am sticking by No Country being the best best picture winner of the last 20 years (only Parasite comes close)

No Country and Llewyn Davis are my Coen movies of preference. I think it's really unusual to have a movie as bleak and introspective as No Country win the top prize.

Gladiator is kinda low tier Scott, but Joaquin does a good job and I had a blast seeing Oliver Reed before finally drank himself to death :smith:

TrixRabbi posted:

2011 was a great year for films never in Awards contention: Margaret, Drive, Shame, Weekend, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Attack the Block, Melancholia. Good batch of films that never stood a chance.

Dear god I'd forgotten

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I enjoyed Tenet at least. I thought it was going to be dogshit but it was sort of extra in just the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Roth posted:

Just have Sound of Metal and The Father left to view, and so far I've only disliked Chicago 7.

To be fair, though, I so utterly despised Chicago to the point of feeling genuine anger at the lengths it goes to make a bunch of revolutionaries sing the virtues of the American governmental system so I guess it balanced out to the normal ratio of liked to disliked best picture nominees.

Yeah, the Sorkin trash stink was powerful with that one. The subject deserves better. I guess we'll always have Medium Cool.