Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like I'm off base with the rest of the world but I really didn't like Nomadland. It's much more of an exploration of one woman's mental illness to me than it is of late stage capitalism which I guess is what I expected? I don't think one of the tell's is that Amazon let them use their logo and likeness pretty freely.

live with fruit posted:

Mank is a movie about the writing of Citizen Kane. And even then, it's really a movie about Mank the man. This isn't RKO 281.

I enjoyed Mank, the movie about how corrupt hollywood liberals conspired to kill an american workers party in the crib.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Very annoyed that the horribly overrated Promising Young Woman won screenplay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

smug n stuff posted:

Really funny to have all the justice-y rhetoric and then give best doc to the movie about a white south african guy’s mid-life crisis

You knew the ACAB short was gonna win because of that even if it was way too heavy handed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That horrible George Clooney Netflix movie got a frigging Oscar nomination!?!?!?!?!?!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's kinda funny that they are all dressed in these fancy gowns when the setting looks like a vegas show lounge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My Face When posted:

If youre talking about Hillbilly Elegy, yes! It got razzie nominated too.

He's in that!? No way.

I was talking about Midnight Sky.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My Face When posted:

Oh okay. I got confused. I knew there was some controversy behind Hillbilly Elegy.

It's based on a campaign book from some chud rear end in a top hat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pospysyl posted:

Production Design, the only Oscar Mank should win tonight.

You know Mank was kinda mediocre because they normally love giving movies about making movies Oscars.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is Father more or less depressing than Amour? I kinda don't want to watch it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Harrison Ford looks way more out of it than Sean Connery did in The Last Crusade lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's really amazing that he got that rich without literally making 1 good movie.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zeluth posted:

There are other cultures out there that you don't know. I know it can be frightening. We grow up in a bubble and are suprised that people go about poo poo in different ways.

How to prick that bubble and let all cultures know each other? Through Film, I suppose.

I guess it's true that film is a subjective art form.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You know what is cool about this Oscars? No boring musical performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boseman seems like he was a cool guy but I never thought he was that good an actor.