Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

commielingus posted:

Maybe Fincher receives his long overdue Best Director win?

He was 100% robbed for The Social Network (which also deserved Best Picture) but I don't think Mank is going to get it for him.

Personally I'm rooting for Glenn Close to win both the Oscar and the Razzie for Hillbilly Elegy, a movie I have no interest in watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If Fincher deserved a statue for anything it was Zodiac.

Absolutely, but the Academy in its great wisdom did not deem it worthy of a single nomination. I guess it would have gone up against No Country and There Will Be Blood if it had which would've been an interesting race.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I personally think 2006 is pretty solid too (maybe not for great cinema but for stuff I remember being entertained by), and I will defend Miami Vice until the day I die.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh yeah that original smash opening is absolutely priceless, it feels ballsy even today.

I have a lot of respect for it not being an intro story for Crockett and Tubbs, they're already an established team and the movie is basically a modernized and extended episode of the show.

But back to the awards chat, I find it frustrating that the rental prices for these movies are so drat high. Like they know we can't go to theatres right?? Minari and Judas are just sitting on my Watch Next list in Prime because I don't feel like spending $30CAD on a movie that would cost under half of that in the theatre. And even though Sound of Thunder is an Amazon movie it's not available on Prime in Canada either :canada:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Departed would probably be third for me, with 12 Years a Slave after that.

As a card carrying Boston shithead, I love The Departed unreservedly, but looking at it objectively it does have some pretty hard to ignore flaws (Vera Farmiga, god bless her, tries to do what she can with maybe the worst written female character in a Scorsese movie).

In Infernal Affairs she's two separate characters. Scorsese follows the original pretty closely otherwise. I remember when he won the Oscar for Director, the announcer called it a Japanese movie (which Marty corrected in his speech) - how do you gently caress up something like that?