Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have been informed that perhaps the hosed up xp curve in BD2 is in fact an issue of UI. In that, there are extremely important sidequests leading to full optional dungeons which the game expects you to do to be on track without grinding, which are hidden in side rooms. There's a button to press to see all sidequests in the current area, but it doesn't show anything beyond a loading zone, so you have to actually wander around to all the unusually-large rooms in each town to check them for quests

I still don't like the boss design but it'd be a lot less hosed up if I was a few levels higher for each one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bovis posted:

I'm installing Final Fantasy X/X-2 to play for the first time. Is this a good idea thread? Any tips for the first time?

For FFX: if you want a traditional levelup experience, use the original sphere grid. If you want to customize your characters, use the international sphere grid. Note that the difference in starting stats between characters is very large so you should mostly keep characters in their lanes. Or at least keep mages as mages and non-mages as non-mages.

In either case, try using the first level 1 keysphere you get unlocking the section of the grid with steal and use. You won't regret it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah math rules

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's a neck and neck race. warch is ahead of warch by only a single vote!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They should put math robot in savage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Savage math robot expects you to know Gaussian primes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

wuggles posted:

“You know primes, the inscrutable object whose true natures have kept us occupied for thousands of years? Let’s make them worse”

I mean yeah the primes are a very important concept in the natural numbers with lots of nice properties that go away when you expand the concept to larger number systems so yeah Gaussian primes are worse than normal primes, in that sense

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The question you should be asking isn't "are numbers real" but "are numbers useful"

and complex numbers are extremely useful

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
imo, i exists just as much as the abstract concept of "3" exists, divorced of representing any specific 3 things

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

sure, i know, but something about a number that you can't plug into a 10key breaks my feeble brain and I hate that :v:

ah, like 1/3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sorry for being a math bully

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

bovis posted:

I feel like the way we call them imaginary numbers has caused more harm than good tbh

It was explicitly an attack made by mathematicians of the era who didn't like them

then people started calling the previous numbers "real numbers" and both names stuck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
complex numbers are just vectors but with translation and rotation/scaling defined to be addition and multiplication. The up vector, multiplied by itself, becomes the left vector.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Quaternions and octonions, presumably.

both quaternions, octonions would be s through v

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically, math using vectors works out a lot better when the number of dimensions is a power of two. Octonions are just eight-dimensional vectors. (They're not very useful I don't think)

Quaternions, being four-dimensional vectors, are very useful because when you want to transform a 3-dimensional vector (e.g., for computer graphics) you can just pretend it's 4D and do quaternion math.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mix. posted:

I know its like marketed as being a completely separate game, but since a lot of people've been talking about it, is there any reason to play the original Bravely Default/End Layer before starting BD2? I technically own them both but it's kinda hard to go back to a 3DS after using Switch + Vita for handheld for so long, so I'm kinda tempted to just skip straight to 2 and hope they do a port of the original duology down the line.

BD is better than BD2 so that's a reason but there's nothing stopping you from skipping, no

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

on the one hand you need 8000 more twitter followers to qualify for the next big race in three turns, on the other hand theres a secret event waiting for you in the swimming pool right now

what do you do huh smart guy? your horse girls life is on the line

I uninstall

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
now, give the horse girls swords, THEN you've got a game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

allow me to introduce you to rice shower, the horse girl with a sword

I will allow you to introduce me to her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

not even using her sword. yawn.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

that would be dangerous...

that's the point

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The individual zones are a lot more open than FFXIII, so it felt less like a hallway, even though it was just as linear

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

OoT randomizer update:

I found a whole bunch of keys and a whole bunch of songs but no ocarina to play them on, grabbed a bomb bag so went up Death Mountain, wasted all my bombs chucking them into the jug before I realised it needed to be spinning and I couldn't do that, turned adult and beat Dampe for a bloopee only to get stuck in his grave, tried to do a bunch of tricks and couldn't pull them off and ended up getting a headache. I did get an adult wallet so I'm thinking my best bet now is grind money for sticks and nuts so I can dive into the Deku Tree and swing by Lost Woods for some bomb grottos. The racers make this look so easy :gonk:

You're playing on a significantly harder (or at least, significantly weirder) set of settings than most racers. With keysanity and shuffled songs+ocarina, your path through the world will be a lot more confusing than with the normal race settings. Still completable obviously but you dived into the deep end right off the bat lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish you luck doing keysanity on your very first seed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't believe someone just called Lost Izalith "the most gorgeous environment in the game"

I think I've discovered the secret to VG's endless positivity: he's a space alien

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FFX was in the weird transition era where fully-voiced games were just beginning to be the norm, but there wasn't really a talent pool built up of voice actors and voice directors with experience in voicing video games. FFX actually has a pretty talented cast (Rikku and Wakka are both pretty prominent VAs in cartoons, off the top of my head) so I'm inclined to blame it on a combination of iffy directing and technical limitations: the game would crash if the english voice line wasn't identical in length to the japanese line, because Square didn't think their cutscene engine through. So a lot of lines are weirdly rushed or weirdly drawn out to make it work.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh you're still in Demon Ruins, which looks fine. The lava is still too bloom-y but it's the next zone that looks horrendous

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
like most crimes, graffiti is cool if you target property owned by billion-dollar companies and uncool if you target small stuff

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hiring war crimes experts to make sure your war crimes games are believable

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

Lol, is it true that some of the Atelier games gradually slow down your movement speed when they think you're taking too long to complete a chapter?

what?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg__LJIAn5o&t=503s

time stamp ~8:20 since embedding is blocked

I guess I'm too fast of a gamer because I had no idea that was a mechanic in Shallie

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
she will never be visible from the waist down in FMVs after her intro

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The entire market is made up of games that "aren't that bad" tbh. Part of the psychology is tricking you into thinking they're being unusually generous when it's actually just industry standard stuff

As for genshin specifically, I took one look at the levelup system and the accessories and the weapon leveling system and went "yup this is a mobage system". It's absolutely bog standard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

80% of that stuff also applies to ff14, though

the key difference being, a lot of that stuff you use for upgrades are just flowers or rocks or whatever that you pick up in the open world, and aren't gated by a mobage mechanic like stamina or whatever. that's a pretty substantial difference when most mobages won't even allow you play if you're low on stamina

grinding isn't better than stamina imo, it's much worse. I'd rather have a button to turn stamina into resource than be told "you can grind it as much as you want! have fun doing that for hours!" every time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't speak for all MMOs but at least in ffxiv most endgame stuff is closer to stamina, in that things have weekly or daily locks on them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I expect the expansion after endwalker to be bundled with a skip. No way they don't use the fact that the story is moving on to a completely new arc to address the biggest player acquisition issue the game has.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They were made for Korea, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

I'd expect it to not even require skips, and just start for the first time in 6 years a new msq chain with some kind of provision for new players like making the new jobs begin at that level

Sure it might not literally be the skip items currently available for sale. It's their game, they can do whatever they want to make it smoother for new players